Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 2 "A Knight of the 7" - Spoilers post 2 fo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Whelo79 wrote: »
    54 minutes actually, excluding opening and closing credits. And I personally found every one of those minutes highly enjoyable.

You’re probably right. I reckon when I watch it, again once the season has finished, I’ll really enjoy it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I really enjoyed that episode. Sure it wasn't full of action, but I liked all the various interactions between the different characters, during what may be their final hours. There was a real 'calm before the storm' feel, with the underlying feeling of dread of what's on the way. There will be many casualties in next week's battle, so I've no problem with the lengthy conversations in this episode. We've known these characters for several years, and this will likely be goodbye for many of them.

Also, I'd say most people who were following the show had seen that episode 3 was set to be the first big battle against the dead, so I wasn't surprised at all to see another episode like this tonight, especially after episode 1. Once the Night King didn't show last week, I assumed he wouldn't appear until episode 3. So I'm a bit bewildered at the negative outbursts from some about this episode. I'm sure from next week on, it will be all go. It's similar to earlier seasons, this one is just shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Everyone I know who's seen it: loved the episode.

Twitter: loved the episode.

Reddit: loved the episode.

Boards: MEHHHH! FILLER!!!!! MOAR DRAGONS N ZOMBIES PLZ!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the chats were enjoyable but the only 2 significant things was the conversation between sansa and denaris and snow telling her his real name.

btw is Sansa into S&M wear now ? (explained a bit here https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/4/3/18287327/game-of-thrones-sansa-stark-costumes-michele-clapton)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭RoryMac

btw is Sansa into S&M wear now ?

We can only hope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

leggo wrote: »

Well there's a lot of easily amused people in the world, particularly Americans, who would be using twitter/reddit, most Europeans wouldnt have watched this episode yet.. and eh, show me one post in this thread where someone complained there was no action :rolleyes:

watch again there was a a man and then a girl with a scared face.

You’re right. That’s what happens when I’m watching in the early hours of the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,711 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I honestly don't know what some people want from TV anymore. It's seems that as long as it has expensive CGI, lots of action, and rushes from one set piece to the next with barely a breather in between, that's enough for many - Discovery and Aquaman are prime examples of this that I've watched in the last few days. All loud, superficial nonsense.

We've spent 7 seasons with these characters and watching them develop as circumstances and events around them changed and yet people here just want to rush into the CGI battles and 'splosions and gorey deaths - imo completely missing the entire point of this show.

This was another excellent episode for both wrapping up and setting up the final arcs for the actual core of this series - the characters and their relationships - but don't worry, we'll get to the loud noisy stuff next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

One of my favourite episodes. What a show,think I'm gonna be upset for real over the next few weeks lol.

leggo wrote: »

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I honestly don't know what some people want from TV anymore. It's seems that as long as it has expensive CGI, lots of action, and rushes from one set piece to the next with barely a breather in between, that's enough for many

We're 70+ posts into this thread. Would either of you mind quoting all these posters who want big battles etc. and think it's bad because the episode didn't have that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I honestly don't know what some people want from TV anymore. It's seems that as long as it has expensive CGI, lots of action, and rushes from one set piece to the next with barely a breather in between, that's enough for many - Discovery and Aquaman are prime examples of this that I've watched in the last few days. All loud, superficial nonsense.

We've spent 7 seasons with these characters and watching them develop as circumstances and events around them changed and yet people here just want to rush into the CGI battles and 'splosions and gorey deaths - imo completely missing the entire point of this show.

This was another excellent episode for both wrapping up and setting up the final arcs for the actual core of this series - the characters and their relationships - but don't worry, we'll get to the loud noisy stuff next week!
    One of my favourite episodes. What a show,think I'm gonna be upset for real over the next few weeks lol.

Definitely, one of my favorite episodes. Delighted they are giving us time with our remaining hero’s before the chaos starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I have the feeling that the little kid that asked Davos where he should go and then went on to say he would defend the crypt has some significance.
    Not the kid but the crypts. They must've mentioned the crypts 20 times in that episode. Tyrion is going to the crypts along with all the women and children. Unarmed and untrained people down with all the dead. What could possible go wrong?

The show done one big battle episode a season from season 2 on wards, the other 9 episodes were character and story progression, the people who watch this show, aint doing it for the battle sequences. So stop using that as a defense mechanism to the criticism, you just look pig ignorant in your denial.

The writing has been abysmal, i want to see these character exchanges, this isnt the issue, its the level of effort put into their conversations, its like they were written by a 12 year old.. "When i was 10 years old i killed a giant" Jesus christ :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Was a great episode, and quiet melancholic. A couple of happy, sweet moments occurring and people coming together, all the while the background menace and sadness approaches as we are witnessing some characters basically coming to their end. They're on life support machines which are being turned off in an episode or twos time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,111 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

the chats were enjoyable but the only 2 significant things was the, conversation between sansa an denaris and snow telling her his real name.

btw is Sansa into S&M wear now ?

Was wondering what that was about, thought it looked silly really. Looked like something out of a comic-book. Leather and chains everywhere.

I honestly reckon I could get some dubbed version and subtitle an alternative script over it to improve the dialogue.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Not the kid but the crypts. They must've mentioned the crypts 20 times in that episode. Tyrion is going to the crypts along with all the women and children. Unarmed and untrained people down with all the dead. What could possible go wrong?

Children of the forest - children of the crypt?

nix wrote: »
    The show done one big battle episode a season from season 2 on wards, the other 9 episodes were character and story progression, the people who watch this show, aint doing it for the battle sequences. So stop using that as a defense mechanism to the criticism, you just look pig ignorant in your denial.

The writing has been abysmal, i want to see these character exchanges, this isnt the issue, its the level of effort put into their conversations, its like they were written by a 12 year old.. "When i was 10 years old i killed a giant" Jesus christ :rolleyes:

I notice this a lot on here. People don’t get whatever it is exactly they want front something and they then create a subjective narrative and try to qualify it as factual.

You didn’t enjoy it, no problem, that happens we don’t all get what we want from these shows. But that’s bullsh*t about the conversations and writing, I enjoyed them for the most part. There is dead army coming to kill them , created by some weird fairy , with a dead dragon, a seer cripple informing our goodies and you find the milk sucking story stupid? Give me a break..... The problem isn’t the writing its your rigid expectations.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I notice this a lot on here. People don’t get whatever it is exactly they want front something and they then create a subjective narrative and try to qualify it as factual.

You didn’t enjoy it, no problem, that happens we don’t all get what we want from these shows. But that’s bullsh*t about the conversations and writing, I enjoyed them for the most part. There is dead army coming to kill them , created by some weird fairy , with a dead dragon, a seer cripple informing our goodies and you find the milk sucking story stupid? Give me a break..... The problem isn’t the writing its your rigid expectations.

"What are you doing?"
    "What?"
    "I think you know."
    "I truly don't."
    "We have never had a conversation last this long without you insulting me. Not once!"
    "You want me to insult you?"
    "No."
    "Good! .. I came to Winterfell because .. I'm not the fighter I used to be, but I'd be honored to server under your command, if you'll have me."
    "I better get back."

Hardly compares to their bath scene where he tells her about why he killed the king.

Drumpot wrote: »

Yeah sure, the writing has been top notch for over 6 seasons mostly, myself and a lot of other people have a problem with the writing now, yet the problem is us and not the show?

Give me a break :rolleyes:

And to clarify, I've no problem with you liking the writing, ive a problem with the people that did, being pig ignorant and dismissive to the people that didnt :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

I am happy to see all the characters together one last time, especially cos some are definitely goners next week. But I do think the dialogue is poor, bordering on cringey, in places.
    The Danerys/Jon conversation should have been a big part of the episode, but it felt a bit rushed in the end. A reveal that is a long time in the making has just ended up being a bit underwhelming. And I don't know if that's because of poor writing or if because the two actors central to it are not good enough to lend it the emotional impact it should have. I suspect it's a bit of both. I mean, the reveal to Danerys was Jon just giving a summary of the situation. No emotional reaction from him. We still don't even really know how he feels about this new information - about the fact that his real identity was kept from him, how his sisters are not really his sisters, how he is the rightful heir to the throne, how he is basically in love with a relative, etc.
    Obviously there's still time to explore all of this, but I'd love if there were actually more episodes. It doesn't really feel like enough time to explore everything.
    What about that rumour that the episodes were going to be feature length? Even that might have helped a bit.

PressRun wrote: »
    I am happy to see all the characters together one last time, especially cos some are definitely goners next week. But I do think the dialogue is poor, bordering on cringey, in places.
    The Danerys/Jon conversation should have been a big part of the episode, but it felt a bit rushed in the end. A reveal that is a long time in the making has just ended up being a bit underwhelming. And I don't know if that's because of poor writing or if because the two actors central to it are not good enough to lend it the emotional impact it should have. I suspect it's a bit of both.

I think the show is simply not going to make a big deal out of it plot-wise, so Jon finding out, him riding a dragon, and him telling Dany, have all been nerfed to things just happening along with all the other things that happen to be happening whilst waiting for the battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

I think the show is simply not going to make a big deal out of it plot-wise, so Jon finding out, him riding a dragon, and him telling Dany, have all been nerfed to things just happening along with all the other things that happen to be happening whilst waiting for the battle.

Was kinda hoping this would be brought up by someone in this episode, possibly Tyrion, who is meant to be a dragon nerd, but no.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,711 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

PressRun wrote: »
    The Danerys/Jon conversation should have been a big part of the episode, but it felt a bit rushed in the end. A reveal that is a long time in the making has just ended up being a bit underwhelming. And I don't know if that's because of poor writing or if because the two actors central to it are not good enough to lend it the emotional impact it should have. I suspect it's a bit of both. I mean, the reveal to Danerys was Jon just giving a summary of the situation. No emotional reaction from him. We still don't even really know how he feels about this new information.

They were interrupted by the horn/call to arms. Jon has been struggling with how to tell her because a) he doesn't WANT to be king and b) he's fallen in love with Dani which is even more awkward now that it turns out they're related

For her part, she has been set on this course for so long and now she's just been told that he is in fact the rightful heir, but she also loves him too.

Unfortunately events haven't given either of them time to process the information and what this will mean for them, their relationship and their positions - this will doubtlessly be played out over the rest of the series. I can't see them stopping for a heart to heart while the Army of the Dead are at their gates.

All he had to throw in though was that he doesn't WANT the job and that would have probably been enough for now, but this way it's going to set up tension between them (and their followers once the truth gets out more widely). We could end up with multiple conflicts - the immediate one vs the Night King's army, the battle for the Iron Throne with Cersei, and a civil war between Dani's followers and Jon's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The point is that, in 2019, there's a lot of 'Hot Take' culture going on with people saying the opposite of what everyone else is saying in order to get attention, whether there's any basis in fact or not. Someone on here called this "the worst episode of GOT yet". That's a palpably ridiculous thing to say. Especially when almost the entirety of the fanbase not only thought it was fine, but very good. Comments like that stick out in those instances for what they are.

Everyone is allowed like/dislike whatever they wish, but whenever there's not a battle, major set piece or twist in an episode, you can predict that the 'filler' comments are coming quicker than winter. I spoke about this with last week's episode. This week, sure enough we have no battle/major set piece/twist, and it's the "worst episode ever" (okay Comic Book Guy). That's laughable and deserves to get mocked as such. Someone else said it's because Americans are dumb and Europeans haven't seen it en masse yet. Again, also a laughable comment that has no basis in fact, especially when it's not uncommon here for people to pass off theories from Reddit that gain traction as their own.

Freedom of speech, the right to an opinion, and all that works both ways. If you're entitled to have an opinion and call this the "worst episode ever", I'm entitled to have an opinion of your opinion. If you think this was an awful episode, I think you've got awful taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I think the main characters will all escape Winterfell after the crushing defeat, ride the dragons south, kill cersei and unite the Lannisters and rest of the world to kill the army of the dead. Could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Best scene of the episode for me. It reminded me of Heath Ledger as The Joker in The Dark Knight when he constantly gives different reasons for his facial scars - we don’t know whether any of what we’re being told is even remotely factual.

Tormund is an uneducated, unskilled, in the contemporary sense, Wilding warrior who is sitting amongst some of the greatest minds and fighters in Westeros.

I find it totally reasonable that he would try to justify his presence there to the others with a story which may not necessarily be the full truth.

Yeah sure, the writing has been top notch for over 6 seasons mostly, myself and a lot of other people have a problem with the writing now, yet the problem is us and not the show?

Give me a break :rolleyes:

And to clarify, I've no problem with you liking the writing, ive a problem with the people that did, being pig ignorant and dismissive to the people that didnt :rolleyes:

I’ve no problem with people not liking the writing. I’ve a problem who make statements “the writing is bad/awful/abysmal” as if it’s a statement of fact. So you can keep your self righteous indignation for when you actually have the higher ground in a topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

What a story from Thormund. And a couple of killer lines:

"So is the big lady still around?"

"I would knight you ten times over"

I really want to go on the beer mead with that man

• Advertisement

leggo, go to /r/gameofthrones or /r/asoiaf and sort the big threads by Controversial. There are loads of people who think this was the worst episode in the show.

And it's remarkable that you'd accuse me of some sort of what was that "hot culture" or something, when I'm never like that. Your making it sound like I didn't like the episode because there was no big event is downright bullshlt. I've always said I wanted a season of just talking and no battles.

Advertisement