Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 2 "A Knight of the 7" - Spoilers post 2 fo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Lemlin wrote: »
    Best scene of the episode for me. It reminded me of Heath Ledger as The Joker in The Dark Knight when he constantly gives different reasons for his facial scars - we don’t know whether any of what we’re being told is even remotely factual.

Tormund is an uneducated, unskilled, in the contemporary sense, Wilding warrior who is sitting amongst some of the greatest minds and fighters in Westeros.

I find it totally reasonable that he would try to justify his presence there to the others with a story which may not necessarily be the full truth.

Ok so a character whos notorious about not giving a **** to the customs/rules of Westeros or what people think, all of a sudden feels insecure and decides to make up a dumb bull**** story to what? impress them? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

So 2 mediocre episodes, or maybe downright crap episodes and this is the greatest tv series.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

"What are you doing?"
    "What?"
    "I think you know."
    "I truly don't."
    "We have never had a conversation last this long without you insulting me. Not once!"
    "You want me to insult you?"
    "No."
    "Good! .. I came to Winterfell because .. I'm not the fighter I used to be, but I'd be honored to server under your command, if you'll have me."
    "I better get back."

Hardly compares to their bath scene where he tells her about why he killed the king.
    leggo, go to /r/gameofthrones or /r/asoiaf and sort the threads by Controversial. There are loads of people who think this was the worst episode in the show.

And it's remarkable that you'd accuse me of some sort of what was that "hot culture" or something, when I'm never like that. Your making it sound like I didn't like the episode because there was no big event is downright bullshlt. I've always said I wanted a season of just talking and no battles.

My point is that liking or lot liking this show is subjective. I don’t believe The writing or dialogue isn’t bad because it didn’t meet whatever expectations you had. Maybe I just enjoy the show for what I get and Am lucky I don’t suffer the same high expectations you demand.

This is the eve of probably everybody dieing and most of our characters have changed dramatically to a large degree. It’s also the first real time we are seeing them all together and reluctantly on the same side. I think the mix of humor and kind of odd almost uncomfortable exchanges are ok in my book.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’ve no problem with people not liking the writing. I’ve a problem who make statements “the writing is bad/awful/abysmal” as if it’s a statement of fact. So you can keep your self righteous indignation for when you actually have the higher ground in a topic.

From a level of quality stand point, i do have the higher ground. If you think the writing quality is anywhere near the level of prior seasons, you're in denial, or just have terrible observational skills :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

leggo, go to /r/gameofthrones or /r/asoiaf and sort the threads by Controversial. There are loads of people who think this was the worst episode in the show.

And it's remarkable that you'd accuse me of some sort of what was that "hot culture" or something, when I'm never like that.

I don't know you or your history of takes on things. I'm saying your take as presented here in particular is a bad one. Was the fact that you had to go to the 'controversial' section to validate it completely lost on you? You'll probably find 'controversial' takes saying the same for every single episode. If anything, that backs up my point that there are always people looking to be controversial, you admitted you're trawling through that section yourself.

Again, like/dislike what you wish. But you overreached saying it was the worst episode of GoT when it blatantly wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

nix wrote: »
    Ok so a character whos notorious about not giving a **** to the customs/rules of Westeros or what people think, all of a sudden feels insecure and decides to make up a dumb bull**** story to what? impress them? :pac:

That may have been how he started out, but these people have since become his allies, friends and brothers.

True or not, he was just having the banter with them on the eve of what will probably be their last time together as a group.

From a level of quality stand point, i do have the higher ground. If you think the writing quality is anywhere near the level of prior seasons, you're in denial, or just have terrible observational skills :pac:

You should definitely make sure that three-line posts where you claim to have the higher ground in what qualifies as good writing aren't riddled with spelling and punctuation errors. At the very least like.

The writing has been abysmal since season 7..
    You could see it getting worse at times during season 6.. season 7 was awful.. season 8 seems to be continuing the trend..
    This coincides with them going off the books..
    If it was like this from the start it would be languishing on the sci-fi channel and no one would bother with it.. People are heavily invested in it at this stage though, so cognitive bias has them unable to see the drop in quality..
    And a lot of people are idiots, and the simplistic humour and subtle as a brick through a window acting appeals to their artistic sensibilities..

Arya is played by an actor who is currently 22 years old, get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You could see it getting worse at times during season 6.. season 7 was awful.. season 8 seems to be continuing the trend..
    If it was like this from the start it would be languishing on the sci-fi channel and no one would bother with it.. People are heavily invested in it at this stage though, so cognitive bias has them unable to see the drop in quality..
    And a lot of people are idiots, and the simplistic humour and subtle as a brick through a window acting appeals to their artistic sensibilities..

Love it.. it all went wrong when they went off script and anyone who can't see this is too invested or an (simplistic) idiot :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I don’t think you understand what having the higher ground means.:pac:
    pig ignorant

I do however think you know this one....

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Love it.. it all went wrong when they went off script and anyone who can't see this is too invested or an (simplistic) idiot :rolleyes:

The sad fact of the matter..

leggo wrote: »
    You should definitely make sure that three-line posts where you claim to have the higher ground in what qualifies as good writing aren't riddled with spelling and punctuation errors. At the very least like.

Am i writing a book here??

It'd be grand if it was a GoT script though I'm sure ;)

No, you just have rigid expectations, get out! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

As he might put it, to prove his cock is just as big as the King Killers!!!

Regardless of what he thinks of the customs, he is sitting amongst men who are greatly respected and it’s quite feasible he will try to prove his place amongst them is justified, particularly if trying to impress Brienne.

Season 5 is widely considered to be the worst season of the show (an opinion I'd share). That brought us up to the end of the books.

Season 6 is widely considered to be one of the best. That was all Benioff and Weiss.

Of those seasons and including S7, 'Hardhome' (which didn't happen in the books beyond a loose reference to something similar in a raven's scroll), 'Battle of the Bastards', 'Winds of Winter' and 'The Spoils of War' are considered to be some of the best episodes of the show's run. I've already seen people declaring Brienne's knighthood one of their favourite moments in the entire series. All TV originals.

And, for comparison, just last week there was discussion in one of the book readers threads where several considered the TV show to be more entertaining than the books. I thought when I chimed in in support of that opinion it'd be one that got savaged, but there was relatively little pushback from fellow book readers. I love the books, but they're a bit all over the place at the moment actually, hence GRRM not being able to finish them I imagine.

But still, it's a very common and rudimentary spin that people like to put on things. It's mad that I see it more in the non-book threads than the book ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,015 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

only 4 more episodes left and the episode needs too start getting the season going

We have had only what 1 death so far and it was only a pretty minor character in young umber

• Administrators Posts: 53,530 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I keep seeing people say this, but I am not sure it's true.

The writing in the later books is fairly poor. The TV show is better than the books in the later seasons.

Season 1 was pretty much the first book verbatim. After that, things diverged pretty quickly to the point where the books were really just a general guideline for the TV show and provided the lore. The stories though are significantly different, drastically so in the case of some characters. The TV writers have been pretty much writing their own stuff for most of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Season 5 is widely considered to be the worst season of the show (an opinion I'd share). That brought us up to the end of the books.

Season 6 is widely considered to be one of the best. That was all Benioff and Weiss.

Of those seasons and including S7, 'Hardhome' (which didn't happen in the books beyond a loose reference to something similar in a raven's scroll), 'Battle of the Bastards', 'Winds of Winter' and 'The Spoils of War' are considered to be some of the best episodes of the show's run. I've already seen people declaring Brienne's knighthood one of their favourite moments in the entire series. All TV originals.

And, for comparison, just last week there was discussion in one of the book readers threads where several considered the TV show to be more entertaining than the books. I thought when I chimed in in support of that opinion it'd be one that got savaged, but there was relatively little pushback from fellow book readers. I love the books, but they're a bit all over the place at the moment actually, hence GRRM not being able to finish them I imagine.

But still, it's a very common and rudimentary spin that people like to put on things. It's mad that I see it more in the non-book threads than the book ones though.

100% this.

The books were all over the place at the end with no sign they were moving towards a conclusion. Sub plots that seemed to have no relevance to the main story.

The TV show cut out a lot of the nonsense and showed direction from the start. I did think season 7 was way too rushed but aside from that the TV show is as good if not better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I realise this is the non-book readers thread, but I think this is definitely an opinion not generally shared by those who are already familiar with the material.

The books around that point definitely lose the plot, admittedly, but I really do appreciate the opinion that 6 and 7 are not better off for having material to lean on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,124 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What all that amounts to it is "If you like the show, you're dumb."

The show has done a remarkable job adapting the books for the most part with one or two slip-ups. As others have said, the books have no end in sight and GRRM has wrote himself into so many corners and up blind alleys I'd be surprised if we ever see it.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    What all that amounts to it is "If you like the show, you're dumb."

And if you like the parts of the show I like you are more cultured and in tune with quality writing.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Its kinda weird to see that people don't seem to engage much in speculation and appreciation of what was on show rather than having snipes at each other. Also that obsession about whether some fictional relationship seems age appropriate or not... I think its a bit late down season 8 of this show to get your knickers in a twist about whether it complies with our twitter age morales or not.

I thought it was a very good episode. I loved the get together with a drink on the eve of the big battle. Loved the way some of the circles are closed and characters developed even further. Also this kind of 'slower' stuff is required to make the big stuff work. Its a pretty standard drama tool. If it was all boom boom bang every single episode it would get very boring very quickly.

How are people not ridiculing this weak garbage, i mean episode 2 was almost as weak as the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

i hope the night king kills them all...maybe bar the hound or Jamie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Florence and the Machine did a great job with Jenny of Oldstones on the end titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

I am not ready to see Lyanna Mormont die on the battlefield.

I want to see her on the iron throne at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I am not ready to see Lyanna Mormont die on the battlefield.

It's ok. Jorah will die protecting her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

I liked the episode had a few hearty laughs during the more comedic elements I did get the impression that opposed to a sombre attitude they all have more or else resigned themselves to an inevitable death which I find unusall to other pre battle scenes .
    I expected a bit more fight in them as about a dozen of the hardiest went north to capture a wight alive, resisted the entire front line of wights for hours and managed to get out of there alive with most of the main team.
    Ok the night king has a dragon now but the north have two and are prepared and waiting for the dead knowing dragon glass tiped weapons are effective.
    They all seemed like they were heading to the gallows in last night's episode.

Giants milk :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Reckon that Davos has a big part to play. Too much made of his lack of fighting skills.

Advertisement