Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 2 "A Knight of the 7" - Spoilers post 2 fo

Options

Comments

I wouldn't consider those disappointed that there has been no plot or character development in two out of six episodes to be a tough crowd.

One week to set up was fine. But two? When the big reveals and moves have no impact on what is actually going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭klose

Nice for everyone to have their few moments before a lot of them die, I cant be the only one who got pippen vibes when he sang in LOTR return of the king before the battle of gondor when podrick sang at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TheKitchenSink

Thought we got a lot more meaningful dialogue than episode 1 and it didn't feel as rushed. Some genuinely moving scenes. GoT has never been all about the action but about the relationships between characters and that was on full show in this episode.
    Serious foreshadowing that some nasty sh*t is gonna go down in the crypts in the next episode

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I wouldn't consider those disappointed that there has been no plot or character development in two out of six episodes to be a tough crowd.

One week to set up was fine. But two? When the big reveals and moves have no impact on what is actually going on.

I agree that the episode is largely padding; just filler before the big battle. But it's the battle that has been coming since the very first episode, with characters who've been there since season 1 or 2, talking about or putting full stops on story arcs from way back when, and some of the characters are likely going to die.

There have been plenty of big reveals and moves which ultimately had no impact on anything throughout the show as half the characters end up dying before it matters. I rewatched the whole show over the past few months and in the earlier seasons spent a fair chunk of the time thinking "Everyone in this scene dies and what they're talking about doesn't matter".

I enjoyed the episode. I thought Brienne being knighted was a great scene, as was every line Thormond said. I thought Theons return played out really well. The Jon and Dany scene was short, but obviously there's more to come, this sets up conflict between them going into the battle. I also enjoyed Sansa's scene with Dany.

It's an episode designed to set up the next one, and definitely counts as filler. But I still enjoyed most of it.

I despised it. If they had let the conversations actually progress, it would have been great.

Sansa and Dany were interrupted.
    Arya and the Hound were interrupted.
    Jon and Dany were interrupted.
    And probably more.

I wish I'd just skipped the episode instead of having actual writing dangled in front of me before seeing it snapped away for no reason. Done with this thread. It's too frustrating to think about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

bazermc wrote: »
    Very disappointing. 70 minutes of faffing around.

54 minutes actually, excluding opening and closing credits. And I personally found every one of those minutes highly enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

One question, where the f**k did Ghost come from?

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Good episode IMO. Nobody knows who’ll survive, they’ve spent years either fighting with or against each other and by morning expect to be dead. I’d imagine it’s a fairly realistic human reaction to want to be with others, reminisce, get drunk or laid one last time.

The Dany/Jon arc is set up nicely now too.

Could have done without the Arya/Gendry scene personally and I can’t have been the only one Googling Maisie Williams’ age (21 in real life and 18 on the show) which incidentally came straight up as soon as I typed “Mais...”

GavRedKing wrote: »
    One question, where the f**k did Ghost come from?

:o

I was actually wondering at the end what happened to Ghost but didn’t see him in this episode. When was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Collie D wrote: »
    I was actually wondering at the end what happened to Ghost but didn’t see him in this episode. When was that?

Standing with the three lads remembering their night watch days on the battlements

• Advertisement

I missed that. Stream picture was a bit dark although I suppose that should’ve made him stand out more :)

Also had wrong episode title.

EDIT: Actually wasn’t he with Edd in previous episodes? Not sure about at Last Hearth in Ep801 but he was at Castle Black with the remainder of the Night’s Watch while Jon was travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

I despised it.

Jesus, it's hard to know where you sit with this episode :)

This season not matter what happens is gonna **** off a huge percentage of the fan base. If it was a 10 episode season I'd be loving the catch ups but it's time now to kick. Enjoyed the episode and one I think will stand well in a watch back when it's all done and dusted

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I thought it was a beautiful episode.

That and the previous episode will age much better by the end of the series when almost everyone is dead.

People are inpatient for carnage and instead should be appreciating saying goodbye to these characters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Brienne is brown bread for sure after that scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

That episode was worryingly upbeat episode,

-Bran forgiving Jamie
    -Sansa & Theon meeting
    -Gendry & Arya (a little uncomfortable to be honest)
    -Arya & the hound chatting it out
    -Chats & laughs around the fire with all the ol favourites.

They're all becoming members of the dead army next week aren't they

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

People are inpatient for carnage and instead should be appreciating saying goodbye to these characters.

And it's not like the episode was void of carnage either. Arya made mince meat of a wooden column, the big ginger fella spilled milk on his beard and Tyrion drastically over filled a cup of wine.

I'd take that over another Brienne vs Arya showdown any day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I despised it. If they had let the conversations actually progress, it would have been great.

Sansa and Dany were interrupted.
    Arya and the Hound were interrupted.
    Jon and Dany were interrupted.
    And probably more.

I wish I'd just skipped the episode instead of having actual writing dangled in front of me before seeing it snapped away for no reason. Done with this thread. It's too frustrating to think about.

Its a lovely day out go out for a walk get a bit of fresh air,its only a TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I thoroughly loved this episode. The conversations were on point, the mood was wonderfully sombre with very little grandstanding and it provided a very melancholy stage for some bonding, relationship defining moments and reminders of wonderful character arcs (eg Davos serving the girl who reminding him of Shireen, Theon coming full circle).

I did find the numerous interruptions during pivotal moments of conversations far too contrived but that's a minor quibble.

Enjoyed last week's episode, loved this week's and excited for nexts.

The battles mean nothing without exceptionally good set up episodes like these

Also, loved this tweet! :)

https://twitter.com/niallmoran_/status/1120253262073081856?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 14,595 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I enjoyed that episode ,some nice dialogue and scenes but agreed it had some failings.
    Bran moping around again ,saying very little of note ,when he could be informing people about the night king and how best to stop him .

Can he no longer warg into creatures ,surely he would have known Cersei hadnt sent an army north .
    Did anyone else south not send ravens to inform Winterfell of this ,they still have allies south.
    He should know exactly where the army of the dead yet instead its up to Tormund and co to supply this information.

Are the Unsullied and Dothraki outside the walls of Winterfell ,if so then surely that will be the end of them .
    The strategy of fighting the dead at Winterfell seems a bit crazy ,would retreat not be a better strategy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Enjoyed that, really nicely setup for next 1.
    Arya/Gendry had to happen if potentially they end up uniting houses, perhaps could have been done more subtly. Or perhaps gendry dies soon and she raises kid as Baratheon in his honor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

This episode was them closing the loops they opened last week to setup for a total reshuffling of the pack. In past years, we'd have been fine accepting that as a series finale to wrap things up after some mad stuff happened in episode 9.

Last year's finale left us with: the Army of the Dead are coming. Everyone (but Cersei etc) is convening at Winterfell, which is going to provide us with a share of reunions and revelations that we've spent the past 7 seasons building up, both happy and potentially difficult.

Last week's episode showed just that. It set up the plot points that would need to be addressed. You can't just do all of that in one episode. So you want one scene with Sam, Jon and Dany in the crypts like, "Jon here is everything you've ever wanted to know about your past: in short you're the rightful heir. Decide what you're going to do about this immediately. Dany how do you feel about all of this?!" These are gigantic revelations nearly two decades in the making in overall ASOIAF lore. They need time to breathe for the characters to process them, tension to build and a resolution to emerge. Rushing them would be awful storytelling. But...you know...gotta get to them BaTtLe ScEnEs.

This week's episode addressed those issues raised and gave us closure on many things we've wondered about for 7 seasons. 7 seasons!!! And people write that off as 'filler'?! Are you actually mental! We're clearly saying goodbye and getting whatever closure we can with many of these characters we've spent so much time with and invested in. That's both satisfying as a viewer but totally realistic within the confines of the show given these people know they may be marching towards their impending doom so that's exactly what they would look to do.

We don't have so many lingering questions left now that would've killed us had the show just left them on the table. And we've still four monster episodes to go! The pack is going to be shuffled again next week, then we've got whatever showdown awaits with Cersei and how the realm is going to resolve itself in the aftermath with whoever is left.

I think they're playing a blinder tbh. They have an impossible job - seriously it's one the original author of the whole thing literally can't do himself - and they're handling it deftly without totally rushing it. They're giving these moments time to breathe and emotional heft, while keeping the overall stakes very much at the forefront of our minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

wouldn't you start with 'I only just found this out'

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

wouldn't you start with 'I only just found this out'
    Yep but I guess it's meant to be obvious as he was giving her the cold shoulder plus being a man of honor and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't see why so many found the Arya scene weird. It was long since established with Sansa that once she'd gotten her period, the baby-making would begin. I would have taken Arya in the show to be at least 17, and at least she was consenting to what happened unlike Sansa's first time.

Anyway, my predictions for who "joins the Night King's army" next week:
    Brienne, Edd, Theon, GreyWorm, Davos, Beric and possibly Jorah

I have the feeling that the little kid that asked Davos where he should go and then went on to say he would defend the crypt has some significance.

I have the feeling that the little kid that asked Davos where he should go and then went on to say he would defend the crypt has some significance.
    she had a scarred face.

Without a doubt, that was one of my favourite televisual experiences.

Great pacing, great writing and great storytelling.

she had a scarred face.

No, the littlun that was after her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Jeez, that extra year of waiting for season 8 really paid off, the dialogue and character exchanges are the best they've ever been :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No, the littlun that was after her.
    watch again there was a a man and then a girl with a scared face.

Advertisement