Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,006 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

blinding wrote: »
    Is there an argument that only taxis ( perhaps electric ) should be used inside say City Limits or some set area in cities ?

Yes, but you just know that when you get the call to pick up the three supermodels, it will be 2 mins into your 30min charging session.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Is there an argument that only taxis ( perhaps electric ) should be used inside say City Limits or some set area in cities ?

That has been proposed a few times, with magnetic induction chargers built into the taxi ranks to keep them topped up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

That has been proposed a few times, with magnetic induction chargers built into the taxi ranks to keep them topped up.
    It would be a nice experiment to try for a city . Public transport would have to be very good as well obviously .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

It would be a nice experiment to try for a city . Public transport would have to be very good as well obviously .

Yeah, similarly there was discussion of induction chargers at intersections/traffic lights to recharge electric automated buses that just do simple loops. I know a few cities have trialled electric automated buses successfully

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Shorts and bikini protest planned by the XR hive mind in response to what it interpreted as Leo Varadkar making a joke of their religion. Not looking forward to the sight of emaciated vegan cult members nearly in the nip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Shorts and bikini protest planned by the XR hive mind in response to what it interpreted as Leo Varadkar making a joke of their religion. Not looking forward to the sight of emaciated vegan cult members nearly in the nip.

in this weather? at this latitude? at this time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

in this weather? at this latitude? at this time of year?

It should be funny. They are cold misfortunes at the best of times, they won't even work to warm themselves, I can imagine how baltic they are going to be standing around in shorts and bikinis in November like a bunch of demented wallys. They will have to put a pot of lentil soup on standby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Meanwhile in New Delhi the pollution is so bad that planes can't land and have to be divided, schools closed and people told to stay indoors if the can.
    Why don't the go out there and protest,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

mgn wrote: »
    Meanwhile in New Delhi the pollution is so bad that planes can't land and have to be divided, schools closed and people told to stay indoors if the can.

Because that would actually make sense, you are talking about morons that stopped mass public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah, similarly there was discussion of induction chargers at intersections/traffic lights to recharge electric automated buses that just do simple loops. I know a few cities have trialled electric automated buses successfully
    Long way from there. Let's get the actual upgrade to the network right first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭Harika

mgn wrote: »

Yeah it makes sense to fly across the globe to protest in a foreign country, to a government that you cannot vote for :rolleyes: They will take you seriously :pac:

Harika wrote: »
    Yeah it makes sense to fly across the globe to protest in a foreign country, to a government that you cannot vote for :rolleyes: They will take you seriously :pac:
    I hope greta and her handlers take note and Stop Making Un-Necessary Journeys .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

...don't take risks on (metaphorical) treacherous roads, AND DON'T SWIM IN THE SEA!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭SeanW

Harika wrote: »
    Why not? Al Gore, Leonardo DiCaprio etc fly all around the world on private jets all the time to lecture us mere mortals about the need to save the planet from global warming ...

SeanW wrote: »
    Why not? Al Gore, Leonardo DiCaprio etc fly all around the world on private jets all the time to lecture us mere mortals about the need to save the planet from global warming ...
    You can’t really take anyone seriously on Climate Change unless they are buzzing around in a Private Jet . Somebody is kidding Somebody :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Robert_Beach

We need to stop/cut-back on

- eating meat
    - going abroad
    - driving solo journeys

I think that peer pressure could be a great tool to achieve this. Drink driving used to be fine and dandy but now it's mostly unacceptable to modern ears. We need to make it the same for people going on "city breaks". Shame the funk out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

We need to stop/cut-back on

- eating meat
    - going abroad
    - driving solo journeys

I think that peer pressure could be a great tool to achieve this. Drink driving used to be fine and dandy but now it's mostly unacceptable to modern ears. We need to make it the same for people going on "city breaks". Shame the funk out of them

I don't mean to come across as some American lover of 'democracy', but you are looking to limit peoples freedom of movement with some of this. People should be free to move wherever they want. I'm not willing to give up driving solo journeys, eating meat of going abroad, because I know that the politicians, the wealthy upper classes and the intelligentsia will in no way,shape or form conform to these rules. It will be the classic 'one rule for them, one rule for us', mark my words. When you start putting boundaries on freedom of movement, you are writing off your progeny's right to see the world.

I don't mean to come across as some American lover of 'democracy', but you are looking to limit peoples freedom of movement with some of this.

Ideally I'd love the following:

You live in Cork and want to go to Dublin? Get a train or bus.
    You want to go to England? We need low carbon boats and sailing ships to facilitate that.
    You want to have a weekend shopping trip in New York? Nope.

But realistically we can use social forces to shape behavior. I'd like to see people ostracised, looked down on and ignored for say going on holiday to Spain.

You want to go to England? We need low carbon boats and sailing ships to facilitate that.

But realistically we can use social forces to shape behavior. I'd like to see people ostracised, looked down on and ignored for say going on holiday to Spain.

People like you ruin the movement.

You should keep promoting that nonsense, does your agenda great harm. ;-)

• Advertisement

People like you ruin the movement.

I'm sure 30 years ago the same was said about the local Gard who actually manned a checkpoint near the local on a Saturday night.

You should keep promoting that nonsense, does your agenda great harm. ;-)

Trying to stop the collapse of civilisation as we know it. My agenda.

Trying to stop the collapse of civilisation as we know it. My agenda.

Hyperbolic bull****, well done keep it up.

Intolerance is not the way to go. Some of these might work for a very small number but your plan seems to be to ostracise anyone who doesn't conform. Maybe we could send them for re-education!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

+1 on this

Aviation needs to be green taxed much more than it is currently. Taxes on the carriers, the airports, and green levies on every ticket.

Dublin airport needs to be wound down gradually until carbon neutral solutions found. No new routes!

Consign the on a whim cheap bookings to history

Solar powered passenger ships are the coming thing in transport. We will see a big revival in maritime passenger travel over the coming years.

And agree regarding private cars. Tax them and makes public transport accessible and efficient for most travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,354 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Does anyone know how much it would cost the governmemt if they said "for 2020 all public transport will be free ".

Try it for one year, see if the public buy into it.

+1 on this

Aviation needs to be green taxed much more than it is currently. Taxes on the carrier, the airports, and green levies on every ticket.

Solar powered passenger ships are the coming thing in transport. We will see a big revival in maritime passenger travel over the coming years.

And agree regarding private cars. Tax them and makes public transport accessible and efficient for most travel.
    Aviation sure, ships it's actually the cargo fleets that need to be targeted. Can't see too many people opting for extended boast trips, especially on the Irish Sea in winter! On cars you have the order wrong and the premise too as the oncoming EV revolution will put paid to the emissions issue.

+1 on this

Aviation needs to be green taxed much more than it is currently. Taxes on the carriers, the airports, and green levies on every ticket.

Dublin airport needs to be wound down gradually until carbon neutral solutions found. No new routes!

Consign the on a whim cheap bookings to history

Aviation accounts for 2 per cent of carbon emissions, fashion accounts for 10 per cent any plans for curtailing fashion?
    Private cars tax them? There is significant taxes already on cars. Btw public transport outside the cities towns and cities is almost non existent. Cars in these areas are a necessity.

I think a lot of you who are on this last page of the thread are fairly uninformed, or have been put under the illusion that energy comes from nowhere.

Solar powered ships? Show me where there is any example of moving a few hundred tonnes with just solar power is possible. Then, show me where you store the power from these panels. Is it a lithium ion battery? Show me how we get the lithium from the ground. Show me how we get that lithium to a first world country to make the batteries. It is sheer fantasy at this moment in time. What about this, how ships hide their emissions?

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2019/09/shipping-companies-install-cheat-devices-to-hide-sulphur-emissions/

There's a great thing called a Life Cycle Assessment. It looks at where energy goes at every step of the use or production of an item. That paper cup? Well, it is recyclable, but tell me does the diesel used by the recycling company truck off-set the recycling? There's a huge amount of ignorance (I'll use that term, as this is what it is) surrounding 'green' materials and 'sustainable' processes, and in a lot of cases it is being brought about by the greenwashing which is happening right now.

The consumer is not at fault when it comes to pollution in the world, it is down to the people who make millions out of manufacturing, sales, transport and the need for exponential growth in trade year-on-year which is contributing the dominant share of the problem. If you buy into the idea that it is the consuming populace, you have lost the game.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Aviation sure, ships it's actually the cargo fleets that need to be targeted. Can't see too many people opting for extended boast trips, especially on the Irish Sea in winter! On cars you have the order wrong and the premise too as the oncoming EV revolution will put paid to the emissions issue.

Wrong. It just shifts the emissions further back in the manufacturing chain. We still need to **** up the environment just to get the lithium out of the ground.

Advertisement