Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dehorning calves - take out bud?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Anyone else finding it hard to get Adrenacaine? Vets didn't have it today.
    Is it stricter regulations or just a shortage.

I managed to get an alternative brand, Alfacaine 2%, Vet said 4 mls each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Well, my Express gas dehorner wouldn't work this morning. I was doing some calves for a neighbour and it wouldn't light. It was sparking but gas flow was way too low. I had a spare bottle but still no good.
    He went to get another gas bottle in COOP and came back with a Buddex Gas dehorner. I used that and found it very good. Tip was very hot.

Anyway I opened up my dehorner and when I put it all back together, it's leaking gas. I changed the jet/filter inside in it, so I'm raging now that it's leaking. I don't think it can be repaired too looking at it.

So Have I to splash out another €200 ?

I've also realised now, how it gets blocked. The tiniest bit of dirt on the top of the gas bottle can block it. You have to keep the bottles clean and put the plastic caps back on when not using.

I bought a new head for my express this year and the old one broke last year and didn’t work properly on two calves. Massive difference in how quick it heated up. I reckon hold onto it and try repair. It’s a great bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I bought a new head for my express this year and the old one broke last year and didn’t work properly on two calves. Massive difference in how quick it heated up. I reckon hold onto it and try repair. It’s a great bit of kit.

Thanks, who did you get it from?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Well, my Express gas dehorner wouldn't work this morning. I was doing some calves for a neighbour and it wouldn't light. It was sparking but gas flow was way too low. I had a spare bottle but still no good.
    He went to get another gas bottle in COOP and came back with a Buddex Gas dehorner. I used that and found it very good. Tip was very hot.

Anyway I opened up my dehorner and when I put it all back together, it's leaking gas. I changed the jet/filter inside in it, so I'm raging now that it's leaking. I don't think it can be repaired too looking at it.

So Have I to splash out another €200 ?

I've also realised now, how it gets blocked. The tiniest bit of dirt on the top of the gas bottle can block it. You have to keep the bottles clean and put the plastic caps back on when not using.

I have the Gas buddex with a good few years, never gave a bother really but has been cutting out a bit lately. Is it awkward to change the jet in them? Think there is a spare 1 in the box.

I have the Gas buddex with a good few years, never gave a bother really but has been cutting out a bit lately. Is it awkward to change the jet in them? Think there is a spare 1 in the box.

That's where I went wrong with my Express one. I went changing it out in the neighbours yard, as he had trouble getting the cows and calves in to do.
    I started opening it in the middle, but as far as I can see, you need to start taking it apart from the hot tip end and work back. Maybe if I had done that it wouldn't be leaking as I opened a part that didn't need to be opened. Mine needed a 24mm spanner to open the brass nut to get at it.

Do you still have the instructions in the box. I could scan the ones i have here from the neighbours new Buddex one !!!!

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement

Thanks, who did you get it from?

I bought it off https://magentadirect.ie

I bought both the 15mm and 20mm tip as I wasn’t certain which to use but I ended up using the 15mm tip.

I have also found before that brand new cans would be empty or not working right.

We must have the express gas dehorner 20 years at this stage, it is a cracking bit of kit.
    Have a little parasol one too but don’t use it half the time but lately, don’t use it at all.

It says on the Adrenacaine leaflet 2-5 mls each side for debudding. I inject between 3-4 mls per side. I have been told by another person that 2 ml each side is sufficient. How much are others on here giving? and how effective is 2 mls. and would the lower amount stay effective for a shorter length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭minerleague

It says on the Adrenacaine leaflet 2-5 mls each side for debudding. I inject between 3-4 mls per side. I have been told by another person that 2 ml each side is sufficient. How much are others on here giving? and how effective is 2 mls. and would the lower amount stay effective for a shorter length of time.

2 ml here , see the eyelids drooping, seems to work well, did some weekend and last calf got extra as bottle near finished and did seem to last longer alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Depends on the age of the calf and how strong the bud is. A FR done at a month old will only need 2ml but a continental will need more as their buds only really start to show through when older.

• Advertisement

I use 5ml on either side as the stuff doesn’t keep anyway and I’ve only a few to do annually.

The waiting a few minutes for it to kick in makes a difference too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Resurrecting this thread as I’m thinking of doing my own dehorning this year instead of getting the lad I had been getting.

I also just watched Farmer Phil doing a few of his: https://youtu.be/9cHPD1Glk44

Is there any particular brand or type of dehorner people would recommend?

I’d be doing 30-40 dairy calves per year

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I use a portasol gas dehorner. They’re light and easy to use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Portasol here for donkeys years. Agree on the light and ease to use. Low cost on the gas. Last year was the first time is changed the tip for the first time in 10+ years. Quick to heat up. Lovely blowmoulded plastic case to keep it dry and safe

A can of the lighter fluid gas will easily do about 50-80 calves. Cost of the gas was about €2 in Mr price, €8-10 in the local hardware and coop

You got my hopes up there, checked the gas lighter refill bottle under the sink cupboard, the can doesn't have the screw in fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Doesn't need the screw in refill to top it up. Small bit of leakage when toppin got up

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Silverdream

Do lads put a spray on after debudding, and if so what? I'd like to do something like that as sometimes the area looks very exposed

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Depends on time of year. Once flies are out I put the silver spray on the buds and some of the Ordel fly spray on them. Usually works well.

Few I've done last week I put nothing on as no need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Does the adrenacaine go off?

I've a half bottle from last year, I suppose it's useless so.

No it's does not, though I think someone on here said that if it is left outside the frost will render it ineffective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Gas Buddex one, about €200 iirc. Great tool for the job.

Thanks, mine was in the shed all winter, so I did a little trial and gave myself a tiny shot in the back of the hand. It's still effective anyway, my hand feels like it's had a trip to the dentist!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

You don’t inject into your hand you inject it into, oh on second thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Managed to get a drop on my tongue last year by putting the needle cap in my mouth

very effective stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭trg

We get it done by the vet now. We do the herd test around this time of year and get it done same time. General Anaesthetic in the arse, 2ml local each side, shave and take out butt. All done while they are having a nap. Tested at the same time.

There is a cost but couldn't be easier and help from neighbours getting scarce nowadays.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Good idea to double up the jobs on testing and disbudding.

I got the vet to do 20 FR heifer calves here a week ago. First time trying the sedation route. I got a local man to do the job previous years.

I wasn’t overly impressed with the vet to be honest. I see the advantages obviously but it’s still the same operation on the calf’s head. They were still sensitive for days afterwards and I noticed a few shaking their heads if they got a tip on the head from another calf at the milk feeder. There’s also a danger they might knock into a wall or gate and start bleeding if they stagger when coming around.

I might still get the vet next year but I’m not a disciple yet like some of the lads on Twitter.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I have the Express gas dehorner here. Have it years. I find it is important to keep any dust or dirt out of the inside of the dehorner. Keep a gas bottle in it at all times but barely screwed in, so no leaks. Keep caps on the other bottles too.

2cc of adrenacaine on each side and allow 10 mins to take effect. this slows down things though if doing a lot. I do my own but also do for 4 neighbours every year. I take out the buds as they want them out, and run the tip once more in the hole to stop any bleeding. Shot of the aluminium spray and then if fly weather, add some stockholm tar on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭minerleague

I find the adrenacaine less effective if left over till the following year, have to leave a bit longer before dehorning

Advertisement