Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dehorning calves - take out bud?

Options
  • 16-04-2019 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

I've been dehorning calves here for over 10 years. I've always done them the same way. Electric dehorner, allow 15 mins to heat up. Rotate and twist around. Thing is, I always thought I was taking out the bud, but now realise I was only taking off the bud top. I would always make a X burn then across the top of the bud that is left. Looking at older cattle here and I notice some have tiny butts of horns. Small, but still visible.

So question is - do ye take out bud or not. Different videos below and some do.....some don't.

This guy doesn't take out the bud. He seems to know his stuff though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOhMzcL1kxM

This vet takes out the bud.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeluAfJlKZg

Same here - takes out bud.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZpyim7raNA

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

I always take the bud out. It only takes a few seconds extra time. Far less chance of butts growing if its taken out i think.
    Blue spray and stockholm tar to finish the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We always take out the bud, easier done on a gas (bottle) dehorner as opposed to a electric one. I used to take them out with a electric dehorner but it takes a few more rotations.

The dogs wait on the sidelines ready to snatch those tasty morsels :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I would always take out the bud, problem I find with Limos is there is in only a tiny bud until they are about a month and you would be afraid of them bleeding to much. So this year I bought a tube of the paste (€20 and it is ment to do 30 calves), used it last week on calves up to 3 weeks old. Found it very easy to use and the bud looks burned off like with the gas gun. I am guessing time will tell if it's a success. But if it is then it's streets ahead of the traditional de-horner & no wrestling with calves trying to get them into a cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Chip the bud with a knife, rub the costic in and job done. Most humane way of dehorning a calf and no issues the horn growing after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

My father was saying he used to toughen up the bud before applying caustic years ago. I don’t but only using it for the first time this year. Nervous enough tbh. I definitely didn’t cover one bud fully and doing think I applied enough on the first lad I done. But If it works like I should it’s the only job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭hopeso

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    I would always take out the bud, problem I find with Limos is there is in only a tiny bud until they are about a month and you would be afraid of them bleeding to much. So this year I bought a tube of the paste (€20 and it is ment to do 30 calves), used it last week on calves up to 3 weeks old. Found it very easy to use and the bud looks burned off like with the gas gun. I am guessing time will tell if it's a success. But if it is then it's streets ahead of the traditional de-horner & no wrestling with calves trying to get them into a cage.

What paste is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭hopeso

I always dig out the bud...but this is when it can start to bleed. So, I'd say if you got away for 10 years without digging out the bud, keep at it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I've been dehorning calves here for over 10 years. I've always done them the same way. Electric dehorner, allow 15 mins to heat up. Rotate and twist around. Thing is, I always thought I was taking out the bud, but now realise I was only taking off the bud top. I would always make a X burn then across the top of the bud that is left. Looking at older cattle here and I notice some have tiny butts of horns. Small, but still visible.

So question is - do ye take out bud or not. Different videos below and some do.....some don't.

This guy doesn't take out the bud. He seems to know his stuff though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOhMzcL1kxM

This vet takes out the bud.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeluAfJlKZg

Same here - takes out bud.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZpyim7raNA

never take off the bud, just burn it until it turns a copper colour, no snags or butts and heals a lot faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

orm0nd wrote: »
    never take off the bud, just burn it until it turns a copper colour, no snags or butts and heals a lot faster.

Same as that. Used to always dig out bud but started just ringing them about 4 years ago and wouldn’t change for anything now - no bleeding, never have had anything grow afterwards. And easier on man and beast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Don't take them out here. Absolutely no need.
    The father used to do the slightly bigger ones with a sharp knife and cauterize the wound after. Was much faster and less stress on calf.

• Advertisement

hopeso wrote: »
    What paste is this?
    This is the 1 I used but got in my local argi supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Have used that with good results.
    Key is to keep calf away from the cow for a couple of hours

I thought that dehorning paste was banned years ago.

Base price wrote: »
    I thought that dehorning paste was banned years ago.

The caustic sticks were banned but not the paste afaik.

tanko wrote: »
    Ok, is there a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yeah. The limousins can often fairly old before you see if they have anything or not. It's a pain in the arse because they are getting big at that stage.

You can use a dehorning crate but sure when they are small enough to fit into it easily, it's just as handy to have someone (or two) hold them. When they get a bit bigger and stronger sure they won't fit in it

Base price wrote: »
    Ok, is there a difference?

I suppose the caustic sticks are solid and the paste isnt.
    I used the caustic sticks here for years when they were available, worked well but the calves would be going around for a good whle after shaking their heads.
    Used the paste for one year, didnt find it great, bought a gas dehorner then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We just ring the bud rather than removing it.

kay 9 wrote: »
    Have used that with good results.
    Key is to keep calf away from the cow for a couple of hours

- Ye I had the cows 1 side of the gate and the calves the other for about 3 hours, would have them separated for safety reason working with young calves anyway. But the lad in the Argi Store told me to keep them apart for a few hours as seemly if the calf went to drink the cow with the fresh paste on them it could burn the udder of the cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭pms7

When using gas bottle dehorner and taking out bud, some horns would grow.
    Got small portable gas, instructions say no need take out bud, but I still do.
    No more growing since got portable gas, temp much higher than old one, which obviously does the job properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

tanko wrote: »

Slightly off topic but know of a girl that swallowed a butt of a caustic stick. She was 3 or 4 at the time and she eventually died in her teens after terrible suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

That’s the thing I hate the most about the Limos. They could be up to a month old before they’re fit to do. Then you either end up missing them or they are big rough yokes to wrestle with
    Find that the Parthenaise are popping out of the oven ready to go.
    I normally leave calves in the shed 2 or 3 days when born to make sure they are drinking and it’s great to skull them as they get put out and don’t have to bring them in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

orm0nd wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but know of a girl that swallowed a butt of a caustic stick. She was 3 or 4 at the time and she eventually died in her teens after terrible suffering.

I know of a similar story but with caustic soda. She died in her twenties.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Always take out the bud here, would have the dehorner glowing red before I'd start and wouldn't be too forceful trying to dig it out either. No problems with anything bleeding and never had a stump to appear after.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

All limos here too. Some of them can be a real struggle to dehorn as they're 4 to 5 weeks before the bud emerges.
    Tried using a polled bull for a few cows couple of years back and no bud until 2 months old. Never again used him.

Have an electric dehorner here. Awful balls of a yoke because the ring on the end is too small. Tried one of the portable gas ones this year belonging to the FIL and was a super job. Much easier to use and with the bigger ring I'd be alot happier to use it on younger calves as there is probably a bit more margin for error

Stopped digging out the bud a few years back too. Get an odd one that will grow a little flat horn maybe an inch or 2 long but I can live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Never dig out the bud here either, think it's a bit rough to do it but that's only my opinion on it. Don't mind others at it, just don't think I could do it!
    Don't have an issue with horns growing either, but as said above you need to have a good dehorner (portasol one here) & have it scalding hot ready to go.
    Circle & twist & know when you've killed the bud, just takes practice.

I also bought that paste this year too, dunno if it's legal in Ireland now? Heard it mentioned on Twitter that it wasn't. I did two calves about 5 days old with it & covered the horn buds/paste with duct tape in two X marks. So cow couldn't lick it off & calf couldn't kick it off either. Both looked like they were debudded after a few days anyway. Just handy to have it as an option if there's only a small bud or if a calf is born outside & you don't want to have to being it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    ... Stopped digging out the bud a few years back too. Get an odd one that will grow a little flat horn maybe an inch or 2 long but I can live with that.

That's how mine turn out, short flat horns. I don't mind it on the commercials, but it doesn't look the best on purebred bulls.
    I think my problem is my electric one doesn't get hot enough, even with 15 mins pre-heating. I took out the full buds for a neighbour last night as a test and thought it was very severe on the calves. I think, I'll bite the bullet and buy a gas one.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

That's how mine turn out, short flat horns. I don't mind it on the commercials, but it doesn't look the best on purebred bulls. I think my problem is my electric one doesn't get hot enough, even with 15 mins pre-heating. I took out the full buds for a neighbour last night as a test and thought it was very severe on the calves. I think, I'll bite the bullet and buy a gas one.

Electric one is bloody dangerous anyway on top of everything else. Good many years ago teenager round here electrocuted himself with one of them because he left it plugged in while using it and melted the flex insulation

With my electric one the heated part at the end tends to loosen every so often also which probably doesn't help with heating it.

Had been hinting at herself that I would have way more interest in a good gas dehorner for Christmas than anything else but it didnt stick.

Am going to see how this years ones turn out with the gas and pull the trigger if they're good

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Use a portable gas dehorner here too, think it's called Gas debuddex or something along those lines. Find it a great yoke. heats up very quickly. Never remove the buds here either. The odd one will have a little butt of a horn but I can live with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Electric one is bloody dangerous anyway on top of everything else. Good many years ago teenager round here electrocuted himself with one of them because he left it plugged in while using it and melted the flex insulation

With my electric one the heated part at the end tends to loosen every so often also which probably doesn't help with heating it.

Had been hinting at herself that I would have way more interest in a good gas dehorner for Christmas than anything else but it didnt stick.

Am going to see how this years ones turn out with the gas and pull the trigger if they're good

It's more horn she's after, not less :P

Advertisement