Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Queueing in Smyths for accessories. Been queuing a good half hour and still not near front. Could have a long wait next week.

Which one? Dreading the queues. Not sure if it would be better to get there for opening or leave it an hour...

If there really was 10x PS5 sales compared to Xbox, wonder what queues will be like...

Picked up my Xbox in Currys Jervis on Tuesday about half an hour after opening, was no queue (although took them ten minutes to process) and 6 people had been in already.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I bought Miles Morale Spider-man for PS5 digitally, and I got the PS4 version as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Evilbart

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I never quite understand how Amazon figure out their postage times. Like, I orderred the same game today. I had the option of free postage, with delivery at the end of the month (:confused:), or i could pay for postage, with a similar time frame, or indeed, i could order faster postage for another 8 or 9 euros (but the date was still far away, like 23rd November or something).

So, i noted they are offering unlimited 2 day delivery to Ireland now with a Prime Sub. Signed up to the free trial, put in my order - and the delivery date is 19th November. So a full 7 days! What happened to the 2 day delivery? Jaysus...

It must depend on your location in Ireland.They have just this week started to roll out next day delivery in Ireland for prime members using Amazon couriers.

If I order before 1pm I get next day delivery.If I order after 1pm I get two day delivery.

I live in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

https://www.avforums.com/reviews/sony-playstation-5-review.18177

"There’s no dedicated app for 4K Blu-ray playback, but that starts automatically as soon as you pop a disc in the drive. Naturally, the cheaper PS5 Digital Edition console, which is identical in every other way, doesn’t have a drive and cannot play physical media.

...Another weird thing we’ve experienced is that, as the PlayStation 5 instantly switches a display to HDR mode when it boots up (on both our LG and Philips OLED TVs) each of the video apps remain in HDR mode too, even when playing non-HDR content. This was, and still is, an issue with the Netflix app on PS4 Pro but seems to be more universal here as it happened in Disney+ too.

The one thing we will say though is that the telltale signs of “fake” HDR on standard content aren’t as apparent. Watching Sons of Anarchy on Netflix, for example, a 1080p non-HDR show, looked very reasonable. It’s not ideal though. Again, this might change in the next few weeks – we’ll keep an eye on it.

It’s worth noting that the PlayStation 5 is not compatible with Dolby Vision nor Dolby Atmos – you get HDR10 and an audio choice of Linear PCM or bitstream (Dolby Digital or DTS). That is applicable on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, media apps and games.

We’re a little less enthusiastic about media playback though, for reasons we’ve detailed above. We’re not quite sure yet why HDR stays permanently on for streaming apps (unless you manually turn it off in the settings). Nor can we see video purists accepting the complete lack of Dolby Vision on 4K Blu-ray playback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

cannco253 wrote: »
    https://www.avforums.com/reviews/sony-playstation-5-review.18177

"There’s no dedicated app for 4K Blu-ray playback, but that starts automatically as soon as you pop a disc in the drive. Naturally, the cheaper PS5 Digital Edition console, which is identical in every other way, doesn’t have a drive and cannot play physical media.

...Another weird thing we’ve experienced is that, as the PlayStation 5 instantly switches a display to HDR mode when it boots up (on both our LG and Philips OLED TVs) each of the video apps remain in HDR mode too, even when playing non-HDR content. This was, and still is, an issue with the Netflix app on PS4 Pro but seems to be more universal here as it happened in Disney+ too.

The one thing we will say though is that the telltale signs of “fake” HDR on standard content aren’t as apparent. Watching Sons of Anarchy on Netflix, for example, a 1080p non-HDR show, looked very reasonable. It’s not ideal though. Again, this might change in the next few weeks – we’ll keep an eye on it.

It’s worth noting that the PlayStation 5 is not compatible with Dolby Vision nor Dolby Atmos – you get HDR10 and an audio choice of Linear PCM or bitstream (Dolby Digital or DTS). That is applicable on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, media apps and games.

We’re a little less enthusiastic about media playback though, for reasons we’ve detailed above. We’re not quite sure yet why HDR stays permanently on for streaming apps (unless you manually turn it off in the settings). Nor can we see video purists accepting the complete lack of Dolby Vision on 4K Blu-ray playback.

I don't understand how it can bitsream out but not support Atmos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

looks like the PS blog has been updated
    https://blog.playstation.com/2020/11/09/ps5-the-ultimate-faq/

Which audio output formats does PS5 support?

PS5 will support the following audio formats:

Dolby Digital (max 5.1ch)
    Dolby Digital Plus (max 7.1ch)
    Dolby TrueHD (max 7.1ch)
    DTS (max 5.1ch)
    DTS-HD High Resolution Audio (max 7.1ch)
    DTS-HD Master Audio (max 7.1ch)
    AAC (max 5.1ch)
    Linear PCM (max 7.1ch)
    Dolby ATMOS and DTS:X available for Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray disc video

I guess we'll have to wait and see later today when the first release happens and someone checks it....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Starting to wonder what time I should turn up to Smyths at next week to collect this? I've to collect it in Tallaght far as I know they open at 9 but don't wanna end up in a big queue.

Wonder how the Xbox launch went down there how it was ran with queues etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Starting to wonder what time I should turn up to Smyths at next week to collect this? I've to collect it in Tallaght far as I know they open at 9 but don't wanna end up in a big queue.

Wonder how the Xbox launch went down there how it was ran with queues etc.

In same store myself. Have 2 to pickup. Think I am going to leave it till about lunch time to avoid the queues and I am sure there will be a few camping outside keeping an eye on people buying PS5s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

What is the difference between ps5 and ps4 cold war disc versions?

I can get ps4 for 65euro and download the ps5 version for free? So why would someone pay extra for ps5 version?

dan786 wrote: »
    In same store myself. Have 2 to pickup. Think I am going to leave it till about lunch time to avoid the queues and I am sure there will be a few camping outside keeping an eye on people buying PS5s.

Exactly always dodgy-looking sorts hanging around outside there on a normal day.

Surely most people will turn up early so you might be right about heading later in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

dan786 wrote: »

I’m picking up in Smyths Carrickmines and they are open from 8.

I can get ps4 for 65euro and download the ps5 version for free? So why would someone pay extra for ps5 version?

Yeah but stupid to price them differently although the ps5 disc resale value will surely be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

PS4 doesn't include PS5 version. PS5 disc version is just the PS5 version. The cross-gen version digitally includes both.

rm212 wrote: »
    PS4 doesn't include PS5 version. Cross-gen version includes both.

Oh I didn’t know that.

Bit scummy of activision.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Evilbart wrote: »
    Oh I didn’t know that.

Bit scummy of activision.

You can pay for the PS5 upgrade if you have a PS4 version, it's the cost of the price difference between the two versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

rm212 wrote: »
    PS4 doesn't include PS5 version. PS5 disc version is just the PS5 version. The cross-gen version digitally includes both.

It says on the box free ps5 upgrade included though??

EDIT: Dear lord I read that text wrong.. you must have to pay extra for it what a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

cannco253 wrote: »
    looks like the PS blog has been updated
    https://blog.playstation.com/2020/11/09/ps5-the-ultimate-faq/

Which audio output formats does PS5 support?

PS5 will support the following audio formats:

Dolby Digital (max 5.1ch)
    Dolby Digital Plus (max 7.1ch)
    Dolby TrueHD (max 7.1ch)
    DTS (max 5.1ch)
    DTS-HD High Resolution Audio (max 7.1ch)
    DTS-HD Master Audio (max 7.1ch)
    AAC (max 5.1ch)
    Linear PCM (max 7.1ch)
    Dolby ATMOS and DTS:X available for Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray disc video

I guess we'll have to wait and see later today when the first release happens and someone checks it....

That list makes a lot more sense, I can't even think of how Sony would actually block atmos support since it's baked into the Dolby bitstream signal.
    It says on the box free ps5 upgrade included though??

EDIT: Dear lord I read that text wrong.. you must have to pay extra for it what a joke

Activision init

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I dont think its a free upgrade. €15 as far as I remember.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Was up there about 9.20 this morning collecting my headset and controller.
    Was 4/5 people ahead of me, done in less than 10 mins.

I plan on going up at about same time next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement

F1ngers wrote: »

Guess I'll see coming up to the day. My original plan was to go early as possible but how early will people turn up I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

They open at 8 just on Thursday. Hopefully people there that time would mainly be PS5 collectors rather than people doing other collecting seeing as they usually only open at 9. I'm doing the creche drop at 7.30 so will head to cork store then too.

They open at 8 just on Thursday. Hopefully people there that time would mainly be PS5 collectors rather than people doing other collecting seeing as they usually only open at 9. I'm doing the creche drop at 7.30 so will head to cork store then too.

Nice one I totally forgot the original email said 8 am!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

F1ngers wrote: »

Ill leave the collection till last minute on the day if I hear there's ques.
    Do you not think they will stagger the email with the please come collect thing so they don't have big ques?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Dead by Daylight Special Edition (PS5 version) is free to anyone who got it with PS+.

https://store.playstation.com/en-ie/product/EP3367-PPSA02049_00-DEADBYDAYLIGHT00

Seemingly this also makes it a permanent licence rather than a PS+ licence.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1326935158516183040

iamtony wrote: »
    Do you not think they will stagger the email with the please come collect thing so they don't have big ques?

That's what I was thinking would happen originally but not sure now .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

iamtony wrote: »

Why would they stagger?
    Other people are collecting non PS5 related stuff too, they would have to be allocated a specific time too.

Nobody ahead of me was collecting PS5 peripherals this morning, big clear plastic bags being used...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Collected MM in smyths, asked about consoles

Due to arrive in early next week, all are guaranteed but absolutely zero stock not preordered

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

"15 Tips To Make The Most Of Your New PlayStation 5" - Kotaku

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Exactly always dodgy-looking sorts hanging around outside there on a normal day.

Surely most people will turn up early so you might be right about heading later in the day.

I worked for a electronics retailer at PS4 launch and we did trade ins also. I remember posting on here as we had lots of stock and didnt take any preorders.

We had a certain group of people come in with 4 x PS4 to trade in on launch day and were willing to accept 250 cash for each.

This was in The Square Tallaght, I wonder were they got them from. Also they are handing them out in clear bags so wouldnt be hard to tell you have a PS5.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement