Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Heard 33k quoted as the attendence. And this probably includes kids with 5 euro tickets.
    Looks like supporters are speaking with their feet and staying away.
    Delighted that people are finally seeing what a waste of money the championship is in its current guise.
    Too many games with the winner preordained. No point even going to games anymore.
    33k must be a record low.

Far from it. When Kerry's four in a row team dominated football they managed to drive the attendance for their 1982 semi-final v Armagh to 17,000 and the other semi-final to just 25,000. They were also involved in the two or the three lowest final attendances since the 1940s in 1981 and '82. Yeah, the preordained winner doesn't attract people.

Mind you, in Dublin's five in a row year they will fill the stadium twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

As a Kerryman I would be putting my money on Dublin, would be a huge upset if Kerry win.

The only thing is that Kerry will be completely fired up, play out of their skin and wouldn't dare throw in the towel against Dublin. Will that be enough? Probably not to be fair.

Two sellout games in Croker, one involving mayo v dublin and the other the final.

If it wasnt for the mayo game it would have been only one.

What kind of strange comment is this? Not a hope Mayo would have sold out Croke Park outside of a final if they were not playing Dublin. That works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Two sellout games in Croker, one involving mayo v dublin and the other the final.

If it wasnt for the mayo game it would have been only one.

Next year attendences will be down even further hopefully and I will be more delighted.

I wouldn't trust the current GAA to run a market stall and they are reaping what they sow now.

Glad people are seeing sense and staying away.

You will see a huge drop off in sunshine Dub supporters next year too.

Lashing rain yesterday, still a packed house

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Far from it. When Kerry's four in a row team dominated football they managed to drive the attendance for their 1982 semi-final v Armagh to 17,000 and the other semi-final to just 25,000. They were also involved in the two or the three lowest final attendances since the 1940s in 1981 and '82. Yeah, the preordained winner doesn't attract people.

No point comparing attendances from the 1980s. There was hurling semi final double headers played in Croke Park back then in front of ten k.

Far more relevant is 2015 semi final between Kerry and Tyrone which attracted 53k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

KevRossi wrote: »
    Pat Spillane reckons there should be an amnesty for black cards for the final.

What's the point in that? It would make Semi Finals a free-for-all.

But it was a Kerry player. The special GAA Rule book of "Dig the knife into Diarmuid Connolly" goes out the window :):):)

Kerry have three weeks to get their act together. Dubs are waiting.

As a Kerryman I would be putting my money on Dublin, would be a huge upset if Kerry win.

The only thing is that Kerry will be completely fired up, play out of their skin and wouldn't dare throw in the towel against Dublin. Will that be enough? Probably not to be fair.

Tough for some of the young players if they lose a League and All Ireland final in the same year. At least they'll have a munster title for what its worth.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

But Kerry were never going to sustain their dominance long term. Didn't have much coming through by '86. So attendences were going to pick up again which they did.

But yes preordained winners always equal piss poor crowds.

I'd be surprised if next years Leinster final breaks 40k and a Leinster semi final involving Dublin clears 30k. Neutrals are walking away from the sport, which they are entitled to do.

The GAA killed their own product.

I can't see myself watching the AI final this year as I already know its a Dublin victory. If Kerry come within 6 points it will be a moral victory. I suspect many more won't watch the final either who normally would.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ClanofLams wrote: »
    If he knew he was going to get off it’s the very obvious correct decision rather than risk a goal being conceded. Tyrone have led the way in implementing that policy. There’s where your ‘logic’ is lacking. I can break it down further if needs be, pm me.

:rolleyes:

But Kerry were never going to sustain their dominance long term. Didn't have much coming through by '86. So attendences were going to pick up again which they did.

But yes preordained winners always equal piss poor crowds.

I'd be surprised if next years Leinster final breaks 40k and a Leinster semi final involving Dublin clears 30k. Neutrals are walking away from the sport, which they are entitled to do.

I can't see myself watching the AI final this year as I already know its a Dublin victory. If Kerry come within 6 points it will be a moral victory. I suspect many more won't watch the final either who normally would.

If you're not going to bother watching the AIF this year can you go off and play croquet or something and stop beating the same dead horse over and over again in this thread? I mean, you're tenacious, I'll give you that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

Too true, mayomaffia. Sure they could have been beaten by ten in the league final. At least Mayo have the league and young team to build with for next year.

Next year has been cancelled. The GAA have already given the 2020 Sam maguire to Dublin.

They might as well, save people wasting their hard earned money on a farce!

Anyways, good luck to Kerry in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

You had your chance, ye were not good enough. Only your County can fix that and that is by performing at a higher level.

15 men on the pitch at any one time, all working amateurs. Stop making excuses.

If you're not going to bother watching the AIF this year can you go off and play croquet or something and stop beating the same dead horse over and over again in this thread? I mean, you're tenacious, I'll give you that.

Bonnie, I made a few comments on attendences for this year. Its perfectly relevant to the 2019 championship.

I'll continue the discussion on the changes thread, before you decide to report me. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

I can't see myself watching the AI final this year

I'd say the players, fans, media and the entire widespread global GAA community will be devastated by this announcement. For the sake of all the aforementioned, ToBeFrank123, please rethink and reconsider this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

It's the match the media and Dublin fans wanted for sure. No doubt two best teams in the country this summer.

Tyrone have regressed alot from last year. They were poor against Roscommon only for our indisipline, poor against Cork who ran out of steam and lackadaisical in possession for most of today's game with the high ball tactic at best working 50% of the time.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    No point comparing attendances from the 1980s. There was hurling semi final double headers played in Croke Park back then in front of ten k.

Far more relevant is 2015 semi final between Kerry and Tyrone which attracted 53k.

Okay, which team was going for five in a row that year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Was it pay on the gate yesterday?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Kerry best hope is to get everyone talking about the 5 in a row and try to heap the pressure on the dubs in a hope that it puts them off.

Bonnie, I made a few comments on attendences for this year. Its perfectly relevant to the 2019 championship.

I'll continue the discussion on the changes thread, before you decide to report me. ;)

It's the same post over and over. It's hard to engage when it's just incessant. And besides, your mind is made up so we're hardly going to bother debating.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    It's the match the media and Dublin fans wanted for sure.

Absolutely didn't want Kerry near a final. EVER!

No doubt two best teams in the country this summer.

There's doubts. Donegal should have had them. And Tyrone should have been out of sight at HT.
    Tyrone have regressed alot from last year. They were poor against Roscommon only for our indisipline, poor against Cork who ran out of steam and lackadaisical in possession for most of today's game with the high ball tactic at best working 50% of the time.

I don't think they've regressed at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

See you next year so.....

Good luck

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

They might as well, save people wasting their hard earned money on a farce!

Anyways, good luck to Kerry in the final.

I am sorry teams they need to get better not make Dublin worse. I am no Dublin supporter and was hoping Mayo would give them a game but again they chocked.

I will admit the GAA need to do something about funding for the weaker teams to help them

Okay, which team was going for five in a row that year?

What’s your point? Losing almost 20k fans from four years ago is disastrous stuff. That close to a million euro loss for the GAA today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Spillane has some balls starting the media frenzy to have poor lickle Stephen play in the final.

The same fker that led the witch hunt against other players, and squirmed today when Joanne put him on the spot over his "puke football" remark. Never meant it apparently!

Back to the black card. People might recall the outrage against Seán Cavanagh. Well, O'Brien did exactly what Cavanagh did - pulled a player down who would have been through on goal with chance to put it in the net or have one of their mullocker defenders drag him down and concede a penalty.

If it was cheating and "unmanly" for Cavanagh then by jaysus it was cheating and unmanly by O'Brien.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

fullstop wrote: »

Was it pay on the gate yesterday?!

Is that a joke?

It's the same post over and over. It's hard to engage when it's just incessant. And besides, your mind is made up so we're hardly going to bother debating.

There's doubts. Donegal should have had them. And Tyrone should have been out of sight at HT.

No doubt at all. Tyrone haven’t beaten a serious team from outside Ulster since 2008. Lost to Mayo Dublin Kerry every time. They have a difficult system to play against which had a young Kerry team struggling in the first half, Kerry outclassed them in the second half.

Donegal have some young talent and were unlucky with injuries this year but Kerry are deserving finalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Is that a joke?

What do you think?

Full house despite some rain...as if people are going to not go having bought a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Spillane has some balls starting the media frenzy to have poor lickle Stephen play in the final.

The same fker that led the witch hunt against other players, and squirmed today when Joanne put him on the spot over his "puke football" remark. Never meant it apparently!

Back to the black card. People might recall the outrage against Seán Cavanagh. Well, O'Brien did exactly what Cavanagh did - pulled a player down who would have been through on goal with chance to put it in the net or have one of their mullocker defenders drag him down and concede a penalty.

If it was cheating and "unmanly" for Cavanagh then by jaysus it was cheating and unmanly by O'Brien.

I don't think anyone even Spillane is disputing todays black its one of the others the one against Meath

Bonniedog wrote: »

It was Brolly who lost the rag that time though Spillane talks some ****e too so he may have said similar.

You gotta fight fire with fire. Tyrone wouldn’t have hesitated for a split second in that scenario, O’Brien was right not to either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Bookies only see one winner

jJyjEJJ.jpg

If it's 5 in a row I doubt it would get much sweeter than beating Kerry to achieve that for Dublin fans.

Donegal got a last gasp equalizer against them and that was Kerry minus David Moran.

Tyrone were better than in first half but Kerry were far better in second.

I saw then up close in 17/18 and this summer and they have. While McShane has been a revelation at full forward Tyrone now look to him every attack and it's very predictable. Defensively they seem to lack discipline they had last two years. There isn't the agressiveness in the tackle and level of turnover we saw last two years.

Tyrone of last year winning by 4 at half time would have driven home in second half and won comfortably

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement