Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

C__MC wrote: »
    I dont know Kerry are in a situation where they have a free pass this year

Nobody expects them to do anything even their own

There would be definitely less pressure on Kerry

From a Kerry perspective, we're hopefully building towards something and it's not likely to happen this year.

It's not up to just kerry to stop the Dublin effort at 5 but all other counties competing over the last few years.

If Dublin do make history this summer, fair play to them.

As a Kerry supporter, you'd just want to see this kerry team progress and develop from time they've appeared as minors etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭doc_17

doc_17 wrote: »
    Good for him. Entirely superfluous to the discussion though. And it was bad for his career. Is he back starting again?

He is sorta being edged back in at the fringes gradually with sub appearances late on in games.

So, no. He isn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

After Dublin Kerry Tyrone Donegal Roscommon one of teams of the year have been Meath. Meath have been the surprise package of this year. No one was predicting Meath would win promotion or reach super 8s in Jan. But overall the media have ignored. Yet its obvious Meath are a coming team.
    This Meath team is 12 to 24 months away from peaking at least.

The age of 4 Meath forwards who played on Sunday v Donegal

James Conlon 21
    Ethan Devine 20
    Dara Campion 20
    Shane Walsh 18 ( just finished his leaving cert 3 weeks ago )

and other young players on team and panel
    Ronan Ryan 22
    Ross Ryan 22
    Niall kane 22
    Gavin Mcoy 22
    Jason Scully 21
    Thomas Reilly 22
    Thomas McGovern 22
    Daragh McGovern 22
    Owen McDonnell 21
    Robin Clarke 22
    Sean Reilly 20

These players are very young and 10 games with div 1 teams in super 8s and the league will be priceless experience.

Then u have a group of players who will peak in next 24 months as most footballers peak at 25 26 27 .

James McEntee 24
    Gavin McCoy 24
    Seamus Lavin 24
    Shane McEntee 24
    Barry Dardis 24
    Ruari O Coilean 24
    Padraig Harnan 24
    Cillian Sullivan 25
    Adam Flanagan 25
    Bryan McMahon 26
    Conor McGill 26
    Andy Colgan 26.

Meath are one of youngest teams and panels in the country with average age 23 24. And I said 4 of the fowards on Sunday were 18 to 21. These players have potential . Meath are a coming team. Meath next summer will be much stronger. look at Roscommon this year and the difference after div 1 football and super 8s last year. This Meath team will.start to begin to peak next summer into 2021 and into summer of 2022. McEntee is just half way through his reign at the end of this season coz it is a 6 to 7 year job. And this Meath team are 12 to 24 months before reaching full potential at least . The game v Dublin game v Donegal were not peaks they were the beginning of upward trajectory that will continue into spring of 2020 and the summer and continue in 2021 to the summer of 2022. Meath are just beginning .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Meath players like Cillian Sullivan, Shane Gallagher, Gavin Mcoy and Seamus lavin are improving all season long. No one predicted Meath would win promotion or reach super 8 at the start of the year. If anything many people were predicting Meath would be relegated to div 3. Tomas O Se at the start of the year predicted Meath would be relegated div 3. He admitted on Sunday he was very surprised how Meath played they played very good v second or third best team in the country double Ulster champions for third time this year. The second or third best team in the country have struggled to beat Meath on 3 different occasions this year
    so did All Ireland finalist Tyrone last year were very lucky to beat Meath. Donegal class did shine through in last ten mins. But when Meath did take lead in 56 min u could hear a real tension agmost Ballybofey crowd. And remember Meath missed 5 goal chances also on Sunday. But these games and next weeks game are unreal experience for this young Meath team..At the end of 10 games Meath young players will have got experience that is priceless.

It was obvious at the start of the year that there would be a big improvement in Meath this year and they would get promoted. But people ignored this and just concentrated on the loss to longford last year and not the brilliant performance v Tyrone. The same way it obvious Meath young players and team.are improving and getting better and its obvious Meath will continue on this upward trajectory for next 2 years at least after this year. But people are just concentating on 4 points v Dublin. Not that Meath kept Dublin to their lowest score in championship in the first half in 8 years since Dublin played McGuiness Donegal in 2011. Meath have had after Dublin, one of best full back lines in this years championship. Look at how for 55 mins how well lavin McGill Gallagher did against Mannion Costello Callaghan. It wasnt til 55 min and Meath tired and game was over that Dublin forwards start to shine. Meath have one best defenders in.the country Donal keoghan and one best full backs in Conor McGill. And playing v Clifford Murphy kilkenny Mcmanus in next 10 games will bring on.this young Meath defence further. With players returning maybe up 8 or 9 including Meath best forward eg Donal lenihan and more young talent coming thru. And players peaking. As I said Meath are. improving even at the present time and this will continue for next 12 to 24 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I'd say there is a good chance of it. Cork won't travel in numbers.
    It will be interesting to see.
    Dublin won't travel in numbers either not that there's much travelling to do for the 1.5m Dubs. A pityful crowd should be expected again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

I definitely think there’ll be more there is Sunday than Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Dublin won't travel in numbers either not that there's much travelling to do for the 1.5m Dubs. A pityful crowd should be expected again.

Yes, because we all know that those 1.5 m Dubs all support gaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Yes, because we all know that those 1.5 m Dubs all support gaa.

Every last one of us do. And if we're not battering down the turnstiles on Saturday evening, toddlers and oaps and all, then we have failed the Gael loyalty test that has been set for us by RoyalCelt and his ilk. We should be ashamed.

Imagine having to make choices in your life that aren't Dublin GAA matches? Especially when there's so many in quick succession which might have you picking and choosing due to the inevitable financial constraints.

How dare Dublin supporters think we should be kept to the same standards as other counties.

I mean, here I am able to get from Lucan to Croker direct in half an hour apparently, with my world class transport service that everybody else in the country lets us have. I have no excuse really! Just like the other 1.5million.

We're a disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

theguzman wrote: »
    Not really, Kerry would still need to beat Meath to ensure they win the group and ensure they avoid meeting Dublin in the semi-final.

I think theyd win the group on head to head having beaten mayo and donegal, no matter what happened last day

This weekend is a cruncher in our round. Meath or Mayo huge game. But if Meath lose and Donegal win, its still all to play for in last round.
    Donegal 4
    Kerry 2
    Mayo 1
    Meath 0

Then in the last round if Donegal win and Meath win it'd come down to scoring diff, I think!! :confused:

If Kerry win and we (Meath) lose this weekend, its curtains.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

No team is going to go through on two points snowgal. Meath have to win at weekend and get at least a point from last game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

Why are we still subjected to the media and pundits (aside from Brolly) pushing Mayo as all-ireland contenders after the past two years? The only thing of note they've done this year is beat a poor Galway side, struggled against Down, got out of jail against Armagh.

If they had convincing wins in all these games sure, but to scrape through these games on top of not making the super 8s last year and now the hammering from Kerry, just stop, the brilliant Mayo team of most of the 2010s who have been the only ones to really put Dublin under the kosh (bar Donegal) are gone.

How do you know? Because they played crap so far?

in 2016 and 17 they could/should have been beaten by Derry, Fermanagh, Cork, Roscommon and they still ended up matching Dublin the final.

So sure, they might be dead men walking, but none of us really know. Its certainly not out of the question that they could beat Meath and then Donegal at home.

Mayo look finished, but you wonder - and not seen it so just guessing - if they gave that game against Kerry up at an early stage?

They have shown an ability in other years to put what looked like debilitating defeats behind them, and just on the face of it a win against Meath and a home game against Donegal would still give them a chance.

I don't think anyone would like going to Castlebar having to beat them, which Donegal will most likely still have to, even if they beat Kerry as, assuming Kerry beat Meath, a Mayo win over Donegal would put them through depending on winning margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Mayo look finished, but you wonder - and not seen it so just guessing - if they gave that game against Kerry up at an early stage?

They have shown an ability in other years to put what looked like debilitating defeats behind them, and just on the face of it a win against Meath and a home game against Donegal would still give them a chance.

I don't think anyone would like going to Castlebar having to beat them, which Donegal will most likely still have to, even if they beat Kerry as, assuming Kerry beat Meath, a Mayo win over Donegal would put them through on head to head.

If Donegal Beat Kerry Mayo will struggle to qualify if Kerry beat Meath. ideally Mayo need Kerry to beat Donegal and that makes the Castlebar game a winner take all if Kerry beat Meath.

Mayo would need to beat Meath by 10+ points and hope if donegal Win that they beat Kerry by 5+ to give them a chance to qualify if Mayo, Kerry and Donegal all end up on 4 points. Mayo need Kerry to get to 6 points to make the head to head count. A Kerry Donegal draw would suit them as well provided they beat Meath and Donegal

Slava Ukrainii

No team is going to go through on two points snowgal. Meath have to win at weekend and get at least a point from last game.

probably not, but its possible is what Im saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

corny wrote: »
    I really hate this talk. You've not given any thought to it.

As evidence you've got a dozen games where Dublin have been under the greatest pressure and their execution hasn't faltered. Worse their execution actually improved under the greatest pressure. Yet you ignore that to post the above. Why?

Dublin would be on verge of the promised land if they make it to September. There would be a huge media drive ahead of the five in a row on that day. I think this pressure would exceed anything that has gone before.
    You are right though, Dublin tick all the boxes and have passed every test so far. But the 5 in a row has never been done at senior level in GAA inter county; its bound to have some effect on the Dublin camp.
    Playing Kerry in a final for the 5 in a row would be massive owing to the fact Dublin would be justified favourites against this young team who are arch rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,418 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am looking forward to the weekends football. I have the tickets for the four games. I was told that the attendance looks like it will be bigger on the Sunday than the Saturday (by the way)
    I am hoping to see three tight games at least, should be tension in them anyway.
    It will also be interesting to see how the Rossies approach the Dublin game, all out attack man to man or batten down the hatches?
    It should be a good exercise for Dublin no matter what happens, because the Rossies have some lively players who give it a lash. At times it is like watching the West of Ireland's answer to Brazil!

My only problem is practicing the Donegal accent for the Kerry game....aye...
    It will not sound right to hear a Dub say come on Donegal!
    Also, I can't be heard cheering on Meath v Mayo.
    That is just not the done thing and outside the societal norms as far I am concerned :D
    I hope they knock lumps out of each other though!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

At times it is like watching the West of Ireland's answer to Brazil!

I blame the early licensing hours ….. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

It looks like Eoghan Bàn Gallagher will be missing for a while. He has sustained a leg injury. Not sure to what extent it is. Best of luck to him in his recovery. He will be a big loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

The Kerry/Dublin thing is something that effects Kerry, rather than Dublin.

It was pretty much an historical artefact during Gavin's own playing days, and most recent history is pretty one sided.

If they do meet, the psychological baggage will all be on one side. Indeed it would be interesting to see how Kerry cope with the red hands should they meet.

Vast majority of the current Kerry side have no playing history with this Dublin team bar their last couple of league outings. There will be very little psychological baggage with the Kerry players. David Moran, Paul Geaney, Shane Enright and Paul Murphy have been involved in a few close championship defeats over the years going back to 2016 but that’s about it. I don’t think it will be a factor at all if they meet at some stage be it semi or whatever.

They will have even less baggage with Tyrone. If either of the above beat them it will be because they play better on the day.

• Advertisement

C__MC wrote: »
    Dublin would be on verge of the promised land if they make it to September. There would be a huge media drive ahead of the five in a row on that day. I think this pressure would exceed anything that has gone before.
    You are right though, Dublin tick all the boxes and have passed every test so far. But the 5 in a row has never been done at senior level in GAA inter county; its bound to have some effect on the Dublin camp.
    Playing Kerry in a final for the 5 in a row would be massive owing to the fact Dublin would be justified favourites against this young team who are arch rivals.

I certainly hope we know if we've reached the promised land in September.

All Ireland final is on August 18.

EDIT: COS BRAINFART

You almost caused me heart failure other Bonnie!

Football final is September 1.

I certainly hope we know if we've reached the promised land in September.

All Ireland final is on August 18.

Its September!!

You almost caused me heart failure other Bonnie!

Football final is September 1.

It sure is. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

ArielAtom wrote: »
    It looks like Eoghan Bàn Gallagher will be missing for a while. He has sustained a leg injury. Not sure to what extent it is. Best of luck to him in his recovery. He will be a big loss.

He is out for the rest of the season, very bad luck for the young player, he was having a great championship. Big blow for Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭liatroimabu

harpsman wrote: »
    How do you know? Because they played crap so far?

in 2016 and 17 they could/should have been beaten by Derry, Fermanagh, Cork, Roscommon and they still ended up matching Dublin the final.

So sure, they might be dead men walking, but none of us really know. Its certainly not out of the question that they could beat Meath and then Donegal at home.

Yes but when have they genuinely been outclassed to the extent they were on Sunday? They also weren't really at the races in the Roscommon game but that was more a case of them shooting themselves in the foot and a good roscommon team taking advantage.

They could beat Meath but even with the Donegal game being in Castlebar I can't see Mayo getting near them unless Donegal win this weekend meaning the Mayo game means nothing more than 1st or 2nd place to them that they're already through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Yes but when have they genuinely been outclassed to the extent they were on Sunday? They also weren't really at the races in the Roscommon game but that was more a case of them shooting themselves in the foot and a good roscommon team taking advantage.

They could beat Meath but even with the Donegal game being in Castlebar I can't see Mayo getting near them unless Donegal win this weekend meaning the Mayo game means nothing more than 1st or 2nd place to them that they're already through.

If Mayo were to hammer Meath then they could qualify with a good victory over Donegal, even if they were to beat Kerry, all long shots i know but still.....

If Mayo were to hammer Meath then they could qualify with a good victory over Donegal, even if they were to beat Kerry, all long shots i know but still.....

Yeah there is still a glimmer of hope for them and supporters surely, but I think they're done and won't make it through and there will be a transition period in Mayo football before they're back at the top table.

If the game in Castlebar means something to Donegal then I can't see Mayo getting past them. Theres also Meath to be dealt with first and with the game they gave Donegal for long stretches I would not be one bit surprised if they got the upper hand on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Yeah there is still a glimmer of hope for them and supporters surely, but I think they're done and won't make it through and there will be a transition period in Mayo football before they're back at the top table.

If the game in Castlebar means something to Donegal then I can't see Mayo getting past them. Theres also Meath to be dealt with first and with the game they gave Donegal for long stretches I would not be one bit surprised if they got the upper hand on Sunday.

Oh im under no illusions and you make fair points, still, id love the results to go our way Sunday to set up a huge winner take all night in Castlebar, Donegal absolutely would be favourites but it would be a kind of a last stand for our old guard and who knows....

• Advertisement

Oh im under no illusions and you make fair points, still, id love the results to go our way Sunday to set up a huge winner take all night in Castlebar, Donegal absolutely would be favourites but it would be a kind of a last stand for our old guard and who knows....

I certainly hope results do go that way, could do with at least one of the 4 matches in phase 3 actually meaning something!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement