Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,954 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Ya but thats if 2 team finish level, im asking about 3 teams being level. Im guessing it will be the total points difference but not 100% on that

It was the points difference last year for the super 8`s so I presume that hasn`t changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Ya but thats if 2 team finish level, im asking about 3 teams being level. Im guessing it will be the total points difference but not 100% on that

It's not just for two teams its for all scenarios, it is meant to be read as a heirarchy - if there are more than two teams i) cant be used and you automatically move to ii) and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

dobman88 wrote: »
    I really dont think that's true about DC tbh. I'm delighted to see him back and I'm sure most fans are. If he lines out this season at some stage itll be a great day for football. The man plays the game like nobody else can and hes pure class.

He's a top player but I don't see him being a starter/ leader on the team, a bit player more likely. Beyond his footballing skill I wouldn't have too much time for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

doc_17 wrote: »
    Plus there were a few other incidents I cannot mention......but based on wedding abroad.....

:rolleyes:

Of course there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well that I’m assuming you’re not sulking, I’m assuming you’re not at the level.

Connolly had his ban, didn’t get back on the starting 15, refused to go the medal presentation, failed to make himself available for 2018 and wasn’t going back n 2019 as he wanted to make his 30k in the states again. But now it suits both sides.

Plus there were a few other incidents I cannot mention......but based on wedding abroad.....

To think that Dublin and Jim Gavin and Connolly were all happy campers in the winter of 2017/18 to ludicrous, stupid, naive, dumb, partisan, blinkered, etc....

Christ almighty, fellas come and go off county panels all the time. Was Mannion sulking out in China as well?

For example, some of the stories coming out of the Mayo panel over the years about whether the players or the manager pick the team make any differences between Gavin and Connolly miniscule.

Gavin has a simple philosophy, come into the panel, stick to the rules in training, and you will get your chance if you are good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Tomw86

blanch152 wrote: »
    Christ almighty, fellas come and go off county panels all the time. Was Mannion sulking out in China as well?

For example, some of the stories coming out of the Mayo panel over the years about whether the players or the manager pick the team make any differences between Gavin and Connolly miniscule.

Gavin has a simple philosophy, come into the panel, stick to the rules in training, and you will get your chance if you are good enough.

And if you take your chance, the other fella will have to try harder to displace you - much like Cormac Costello and Dean Rock!

That is one of the things that separate Gavin and other managers in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Would I be correct in saying if Kerry, Donegal and Mayo all finish on 4 pts that Mayo have to make up 19/20 pts difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭doc_17

Would I be correct in saying if Kerry, Donegal and Mayo all finish on 4 pts that Mayo have to make up 19/20 pts difference?

Yes.

Yes.

If Donegal beat Kerry, Mayo are in serious trouble but if Kerry beat Donegal, Mayo still alive?

Assuming they beat Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Tomw86 wrote: »
    And if you take your chance, the other fella will have to try harder to displace you - much like Cormac Costello and Dean Rock!

That is one of the things that separate Gavin and other managers in my opinion!

Yes that he has the deepest panel in the country, probably in the history of Gaelic Football, very easy be ruthless then, other counties cant afford such luxuries, Cody was the same when KK were in their prime, its easy to drop someone when the replacement is of the quality available to Gavin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

If Donegal beat Kerry, Mayo are in serious trouble but if Kerry beat Donegal, Mayo still alive?

Assuming they beat Meath.

Let's assume Kerry lost to Donegal but then Kerry beat Meath, let's say Mayo beat Meath and then defeat Donegal in Castlebar, all three teams would finish on 6 points, would it come down to scoring difference or a simple head to head record?

theguzman wrote: »
    Let's assume Kerry lost to Donegal but then Kerry beat Meath, let's say Mayo beat Meath and then defeat Donegal in Castlebar, all three teams would finish on 6 points, would it come down to scoring difference or a simple head to head record?

Scoring record then, that kills Mayo as they 19/20 pts to make up. 2 pts for a win, so 3 teams on 4 pts (2 wins each)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

A win for Kerry Tyrone and Dublin will ensure qualifying with a game to spare this weekend. It would leave meath v Kerry as a dead rubber and the two other games in group 2 on the last day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

charlie14 wrote: »
    It was the points difference last year for the super 8`s so I presume that hasn`t changed.
    Pogue eile wrote: »
    It's not just for two teams its for all scenarios, it is meant to be read as a heirarchy - if there are more than two teams i) cant be used and you automatically move to ii) and so on.

Yeah i know its points difference but doesnt really answer my question. Anyway i assume its all games in the Group as i think it would have been explicitly specified if it was the other method, ie games between the teams involved.

Just ignore me, im very bored and was looking at all possible permutations for Mayo so in that regard would have been looking to see Kerry win group and have that result discounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Scoring record then, that kills Mayo as they 19/20 pts to make up. 2 pts for a win, so 3 teams on 4 pts (2 wins each)

Be a tall order but should note that every point in the margin of win v Donegal is worth 2 in the points difference totals between the 2 teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

C__MC wrote: »
    A win for Kerry Tyrone and Dublin will ensure qualifying with a game to spare this weekend. It would leave meath v Kerry as a dead rubber and the two other games in group 2 on the last day

Well no actually, not if Meath win.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Have a sneaky feeling for Meath this weekend. Paired with a potential Donegal win, that would move the 'winner takes all' game on the final weekend from Castlebar to Navan. Paired with a Kerry win and all teams would still have something to play for in the last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Not really, Kerry would still need to beat Meath to ensure they win the group and ensure they avoid meeting Dublin in the semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Wouldn't imagine any of the teams be planning games on the basis of who they meet in the semi finals.

All games on the same time anyway, to avoid teams acting the bollix.

Assuming Dublin and Tyrone win on Saturday, they will surely field other than full strength for the Omagh game, but it will still be no place for feint hearts given the two teams history and lads trying to stake out a place for the next day.

So no guarantee that Dublin will finish top of the group, or that they even care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

theguzman wrote: »
    Not really, Kerry would still need to beat Meath to ensure they win the group and ensure they avoid meeting Dublin in the semi-final.
    I don’t necessarily think Kerry will be trying to avoid Dublin you have to face them some time anyway if you want to win the All Ireland.

• Advertisement

Sorry presuming mayo beat meath

I don’t necessarily think Kerry will be trying to avoid Dublin you have to face them some time anyway if you want to win the All Ireland.

Kerry definitely would want Dublin in a final as pressure would be on Dublin massively
    There would be a huge build up regarding 82 etc and thr fact Kerry were denied

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Kerry definitely would want Dublin in a final as pressure would be on Dublin massively
    There would be a huge build up regarding 82 etc and thr fact Kerry were denied

Equal pressure on whatever opposing team plays them, if they get there, to put a stop to their gallop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The Kerry/Dublin thing is something that effects Kerry, rather than Dublin.

It was pretty much an historical artefact during Gavin's own playing days, and most recent history is pretty one sided.

If they do meet, the psychological baggage will all be on one side. Indeed it would be interesting to see how Kerry cope with the red hands should they meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,954 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Equal pressure on whatever opposing team plays them, if they get there, to put a stop to their gallop.

Kerry would have an extra incentive as they were caught at the same stage when about to make history.
    Any other team will not give a toss about stopping Dublin doing 5 in a row. They will only be concerned about winning their own AI

Fann Linn wrote: »

I dont know Kerry are in a situation where they have a free pass this year

Nobody expects them to do anything even their own

There would be definitely less pressure on Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

I dont know Kerry are in a situation where they have a free pass this year

Nobody expects them to do anything even their own

There would be definitely less pressure on Kerry

Agree with this... I don’t think Kerry would really fear/ care if they fave Dublin in semi final, play who’s put in front of you...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,418 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Good for him. Entirely superfluous to the discussion though. And it was bad for his career. Is he back starting again?

He is sorta being edged back in at the fringes gradually with sub appearances late on in games.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭liatroimabu

Why are we still subjected to the media and pundits (aside from Brolly) pushing Mayo as all-ireland contenders after the past two years? The only thing of note they've done this year is beat a poor Galway side, struggled against Down, got out of jail against Armagh.

If they had convincing wins in all these games sure, but to scrape through these games on top of not making the super 8s last year and now the hammering from Kerry, just stop, the brilliant Mayo team of most of the 2010s who have been the only ones to really put Dublin under the kosh (bar Donegal) are gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭corny

I really hate this talk. You've not given any thought to it.

As evidence you've got a dozen games where Dublin have been under the greatest pressure and their execution hasn't faltered. Worse their execution actually improved under the greatest pressure. Yet you ignore that to post the above. Why?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement