Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I'd say the biggest problem with 45s is how many modern day out field footballers can kick them? sure nearly every team has to bring up the goal keeper to take them nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I’d be shocked. Got a good start last year and still got pulverized scoring 2-4 in the process in 70 minutes and then got steamrolled by Tyrone. To keep it to single digits and be semi competitive in the second half would be major progress.

Cork were woeful in the defence for both the Kerry and Tyrone games last year. Have they improved in that area this summer to be competitive?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Cork were woeful in the defence for both the Kerry and Tyrone games last year. Have they improved in that area this summer to be competitive?

Impossible to judge based on limerick match. Kerry have best forward division around with Dublin so will be a major test.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'd say the biggest problem with 45s is how many modern day out field footballers can kick them? sure nearly every team has to bring up the goal keeper to take them nowadays.

All the more reason surely.

Look at say Lionel Messi and his crap penalties.

The misses need to happen that's the point! :)

2015 - thrilling game first day in Killarney, Cork should've beaten us only for a penalty. Replay was in Killarney, woeful weather, Cork looked insipid and us not much better.

It was an absolutely cracking game.

But you knew Cork only had one day out in them.

• Advertisement

It was an absolutely cracking game.

But you knew Cork only had one day out in them.

To win in championship in Killarney you’d want a 10 point lead with a minute to go. The refs give them everything - phantom penalties or frees. The amount of draws when they should have beaten out the gate was rediculous.

To win in championship in Killarney you’d want a 10 point lead with a minute to go. The refs give them everything - phantom penalties or frees. The amount of draws when they should have beaten out the gate was rediculous.

That day was a case in point. JOD got some serious soft ones, even by his standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,153 ✭✭✭✭km79

Cian O Neill talking Kildare up
    Is it in Croke Park or Newbridge ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

km79 wrote: »
    Cian O Neill talking Kildare up
    Is it in Croke Park or Newbridge ?

Double header in Croke Park with the other semi final.

Double header in Croke Park with the other semi final.

How do Kildare feel about this ?
    Wasn’t their last game against Dublin also on Croke Park
    I’m confused as to why they are not fighting this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

:D Mayo fans are very bitter on this forum I've found.

Provincial semi, their game was always going to be in Croke Park no matter who it was against. Little point in trying to get something going that isn't there in the first place, but you could tweet Ewan MacKenna or something and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Judging by TSG, not too many of them were in Tullamore!

Provincial semi, their game was always going to be in Croke Park no matter who it was against. Little point in trying to get something going that isn't there in the first place, but you could tweet Ewan MacKenna or something and see.

This was brought up last year
    The only reason the semis are in Croker is because they all just accepted it as they get more cash
    But with their new found “fight the power “ attitude I assumed they would have kicked up stink at Leinster council meetings to avoid having to play Dublin in Dublin .........
    Poor little Kildare and all that

And yes I am very bitter
    And no I am not serious Cos I live in the real world
    :D

The strange thing is that you'd wonder if the GAA even need Croke Park this time around for attendance. If they split the games you'd imagine 25-30k would be plenty.

The strange thing is that you'd wonder if the GAA even need Croke Park this time around for attendance. If they split the games you'd imagine 25-30k would be plenty.

All joking aside that’s prob right
    Would be a cracking atmosphere in Newbridge as well
    I wonder if it’s a road the Leinster council will go down soon if attendance is poor

Embrace your bitterness! Too many namby pambies about :-)

I wonder if it’s a road the Leinster council will go down soon if attendance is poor

Would be better options than Newbridge, but really it doesn't make sense splitting the semi finals anyway and nowhere except CP would be fit for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭shockframe

Leinster needs a 45000 minimum stadium outside of Dublin as a sort of compromise. Dublin games are still the big draw. You can't blame them for favouring a much bigger crowd. Would also be better for Hurling too.

Too much was made of the drop in attendance last year. Longford and Laois have small numbers. Galways support for the semi final was atrocious. Should be a far bigger crowd for Kildare and Meath should they play them both.

Kildare are not going great but they made the Super 8s last year and knocked out Mayo in championship which Dubllin have only managed in the last 6 years (Bar Kerry). Will be a bit more interest as to how the dubs are shaping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

shockframe wrote: »
    Leinster needs a 45000 minimum stadium outside of Dublin as a sort of compromise. Dublin games are still the big draw. You can't blame them for favouring a much bigger crowd. Would also be better for Hurling too.

Too much was made of the drop in attendance last year. Longford and Laois have small numbers. Galways support for the semi final was atrocious. Should be a far bigger crowd for Kildare and Meath should they play them both.

Kildare are not going great but they made the Super 8s last year and knocked out Mayo in championship which Dubllin have only managed in the last 6 years (Bar Kerry). Will be a bit more interest as to how the dubs are shaping up.

I don't think too much is being made out of the drop in attendances in Leinster, it really has fallen that far in terms of a competition, and desperately needs a strong Meath and Kildare to breathe some life into it

The GAA messed up on the fixtures for the Super 8's last year, which has been partially rectified with the provincial champions playing at home first. Dublin still have two home games though which is not ideal.

And agreed on Galway, their support is absolutely brutal, almost as bad as the Cork footballing fraternity at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

It's amazing how competitive Leinster was in the 90's and up till 2005. Where did it all go wrong?

Should be 40,000+ on Sunday which is a decent crowd. Still won't look like that because you won't have more than 25,000 there at the one time!

I'd expect Dublin crowds to be up this year as the interest grows in whether they will do the five. Meath always bring a decent crowd, and they are better than they've been for a few years. Dublin/Meath final will be 50,000 an up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭shockframe

I don't think too much is being made out of the drop in attendances in Leinster, it really has fallen that far in terms of a competition, and desperately needs a strong Meath and Kildare to breathe some life into it

The GAA messed up on the fixtures for the Super 8's last year, which has been partially rectified with the provincial champions playing at home first. Dublin still have two home games though which is not ideal.

And agreed on Galway, their support is absolutely brutal, almost as bad as the Cork footballing fraternity at this stage.

Longford and Dublin has never been a game to draw a massive crowd. Bar the 00s Laois is similar.

The attendance in 2017 v Kildare was 66,000. That's more of a barometer. Kildare have a much bigger pick than anyone outside of Dublin. If the game gets an attendance like last years final then that should be a concern,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Both those counties are odd counties, when Galway is doing very well in hurling/football suddenly there is a sudden huge surge of interest.
    But the Galway hurling fraternity seem to have more interest in the Galway club championship than the Galway county team, deep down.

Cork are terrible supporters in the football no matter how the team are doing (Nemo seem to be an isolated pocket in Cork), I can't remember the year but Dublin were playing them in football and the crowd was pathetic. But when the Cork hurlers play there are swarms of them everywhere.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

shockframe wrote: »
    Longford and Dublin has never been a game to draw a massive crowd. Bar the 00s Laois is similar.

The attendance in 2017 v Kildare was 66,000. That's more of a barometer. Kildare have a much bigger pick than anyone outside of Dublin. If the game gets an attendance like last years final then that should be a concern,

I'd say there should be 60k at it at least since it is a double header.
    Meath starting to get a bit of hope as a sparkling new div 1 team.
    Plus won't a lot want to stay for the Dublin game and at least see some of it?
    Or are neutral counties fed up of looking at Dublin?

All Pat Spillane would say on TSG when Des asked has he got any words of encouragement for Kildare against Dublin -

'St Jude'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Galway hurlers have a decent support. They were outdoing Tipp in numbers for those big consecutive semi finals. The football is more hit and miss but people can't be everywhere. Everyone keeps talking about that Dublin football semi final crowd last year without giving context that Galway were in a hurling final the weekend after, coupled with all the games and replays up to that point. Galway fans had 16 inter county games to go to last summer, all in quick succession

Galway hurlers always bring a big crowd. Great atmosphere when Dublin played them in Tullamore a few times.

Football is same relation to hurling as vice versa for ourselves.

Only so many games you can go to,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Really hard to get invested in the provincial championships. Feels like Dublin haven't played yet while Kildare have played Longford, a minnow really.

Munster - not seen anything of that only a few results. Nothing of note happening there.

Roscommon beating Mayo, big result. Shame it wasn't on RTE.

Ulster, Armaghs two games seemed good.

It all just seems like there's a lack of anything to add a bit of interest into it at all. Maybe it's just nostalgia but it seemed to be way more competitive years ago. Matches like Laois against Meath were big games and good to watch on tele. Wicklow had a good run for a while, same with Westmeath. Roscommon and Cavan in fairness are at that level where they can cause problems.

And I just can't get excited about the super 8's. Sooner it's gone the better.

Both those counties are odd counties, when Galway is doing very well in hurling/football suddenly there is a sudden huge surge of interest.
    But the Galway hurling fraternity seem to have more interest in the Galway club championship than the Galway county team, deep down.

Cork are terrible supporters in the football no matter how the team are doing (Nemo seem to be an isolated pocket in Cork), I can't remember the year but Dublin were playing them in football and the crowd was pathetic. But when the Cork hurlers play there are swarms of them everywhere.

In Cork hurling has always been number one in terms of support. However football attracts main support in the south west of the county and would always have big support in Killarney. Just like Kerry traditionally a cork football fan would go to two games the Munster final and if they won that the all Ireland final. In the late 80’s the footballers would for a brief time been no 1 but that was an exceptional period.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Think it was 2010, or 9.

It was reported that there was only 600 at a league game in cork.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement