Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate crime? Really?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

It is the very definition of a hate crime no matter how much you and others try to downplay it.

Yeah but loik, not according to Oirish law or anything. Therefore not real hate despite clear prejudice and a clearly hateful despicable act.

I sometimes wonder what goes on in people's heads. Leapfrogging anybody is a dickhead crime. Leapfrogging based on height, easy inroads to a hate crime don't get why people don't see it but people are clearly much cooler than us oldies now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

care to mention any names?
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    You'd have to admit there is a hint of Monty Python about it, but of course in the age of perpetual victimhood the reaction was only going to go one way.
    Meh.

Hate crime lol!!

The real story here is the athleticism shown by the young fella! Future Olympian down the line ?
    Blueshoe wrote: »
    Like all species the strongest survive. Anyone different from the herd will get picked on or treated different. It's primal man. All the virtue signalling in the world isn't going to change that
    So what?

Some drunk chaps picked you up, and now you're part of that ever growing group in society that thinks they are victims...!? FFS! :rolleyes:

Some people really need to toughen themselves up and stop being so quick to play the victim card... it's embarrassing. We are creating a nation of weaklings and softies! :P

Previous generations would have laughed most of this stuff off and got on with their life... now it's some kind of big scandal. Please... Grow a pair!! :pac:
    Now I know it's likely that people will contort themselves into all kinds of shapes to insist that the above aren't mean-spirited, but we all know they are, and the downplayers are protesting too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

hate crime is such a buzz word these days and social media has just made things worse these days, I guess anyone that got called a name or bullied for any reason in school was also a "victim" of hate crimes, and our ancestors who where under the iron fist of Britain should be looking for reparations because we are all victims, got to collect those expensive victim points when we might gain something from it, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I guess it's ok to throw a banana at a black lad and jump up and down making monkey noises... shur tis only a bitta craic. Any Irish person abroad loves the stupid drunken Paddy jokes too. Very mean spirited of that lady that she didn't see the funny side and hi-fived the lads after their stunt. Ah leap froggin, shur normally they'd love that being done to them...

I guess it's ok to throw a banana at a black lad and jump up and down making monkey noises... shur tis only a bitta craic. Any Irish person abroad loves the stupid drunken Paddy jokes too. Very mean spirited of that lady that she didn't see the funny side and hi-fived the lads after their stunt. Ah leap froggin, shur normally they'd love that being done to them...

The thing is stuff like that happens to everyone, does not make it right but there should be no protected classes in a fair society, using the term 'Hate crime' is hyperbolic and invokes images of the Nazis from WW2 and not someone getting bullied by idiots in modern day Ireland, Parents are the issue, not disciplining their kids and teaching them to respect others. Most of these incidents come from someone seeing an easy target and less because of actual deep hatred, get the guards involved if you must or just brush it off and hope the perpetrator picks on the wrong person and gets whats coming to them as most of us would.

• Advertisement

It doesn't happen to everyone though, or the same amount between those whom it does happen to. I don't get why there's such defensiveness when this topic comes up. I mean, "I get the piss taken out of me for having red hair" or "I get mocked because I'm a culchie" as if that's the same as what people with dwarfism have to deal with. It's most self absorbed - and it's rich telling this woman what she should think when never ever having to deal with the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It’s not a ‘ hate crime ‘ imo . It’s like most assaults , pick on the more vulnerable. I’ve been on the end of a couple and it was more , IMO, to do with being a soft target by either being drunk or having a tough time walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,063 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I cannot see any evidence that Sinead Burke used the term 'hate crime' and in fact the tone of what she said in the rest of the article does not suggest that she would have used that term.

It may be valid to discuss what is meant by 'hate crime' and whether journalism that uses that phrase is more interested in sensationalising than reporting. It is unkind to hang the discussion on a particular individual though. There is no reason why a particular person - especially one who is Irish and therefore quite likely to be reading this thread - should be singled out for mockery and pathetic, juvenile jokes in a thread that pretends to be discussing the appropriateness of journalistic language.

This thread is an example of how bottom of the barrel boards has become. Woman is assaulted and laughed at, and everyone makes snide digs and laughs at her.

Yet, if it were travellers that did it there'd be uproar. Forum is becoming a parody of itself.

This thread is an example of how bottom of the barrel boards has become. Woman is assaulted and laughed at, and everyone makes snide digs and laughs at her.

Yet, if it were travellers that did it there'd be uproar. Forum is becoming a parody of itself.
    Hold on, this isn't true. Not everyone is making snide digs and laughing at her at all. Several people are defending her and calling out those making the digs.

And travellers get slated here (many of them with good cause).

Most people here are all right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    You can’t compare what happened to you and the lady in the article IMHO, you were physically lifted, I’d go as far as to say assaulted. Nobody actually interfered with that lady, they didn’t touch her.

It’s not a hate crime, no hatred was shown towards her, nobody tried to incite hatred. Two young fellas had a laugh at her expense alright, but that was it. Had they touched her, verbally abused her etc., then you’d have a point.

One of them was banking on being able to jump cleanly over her which easily might not have worked out. Think what would have happened then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

She might be reading this but it’s still not imo a hate crime. Sorry

Sinead is an absolutely lovely woman and the little pricks that did this to her are **** but it's not a hate crime. It's just pricks being pricks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,063 ✭✭✭✭looksee

cjmc wrote: »
    She might be reading this but it’s still not imo a hate crime. Sorry

You may be right on that, its up for discussion.

What should not be up for discussion is this person's distress, her size or appearance or anything about her, especially considering we have no idea whether she said it was a hate crime or whether this was a description wished onto her by a journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bless me father for I have sinned, the mental picture of this incident happening made me laugh and laugh and laugh.

Hold on, this isn't true. Not everyone is making snide digs and laughing at her at all. Several people are defending her and calling out those making the digs.

And travellers get slated here (many of them with good cause).

Most people here are all right.

Look at the first page of this thread, and the amount of thanks that are attached to the snide pun replies.

And I'm no fan of travellers either (to put it lightly) but the sentiment on boards is laughable at times.

Forums about the place are generally fine. DIY area is good, Motors is useful albeit very cliquey, learned a lot in the photography forum, etc. but the kinda stuff you see in this thread, which are direct jokes about a specific named person in the article, is really sad to see.

If it was someone in a wheelchair there'd be no joking :rolleyes: But they're small so lets act like a south park episode and point and laugh. I just don't get it.

Look at the first page of this thread, and the amount of thanks that are attached to the snide pun replies.

And I'm no fan of travellers either (to put it lightly) but the sentiment on boards is laughable at times.

Forums about the place are generally fine. DIY area is good, Motors is useful albeit very cliquey, learned a lot in the photography forum, etc. but the kinda stuff you see in this thread, which are direct jokes about a specific named person in the article, is really sad to see.

If it was someone in a wheelchair there'd be no joking :rolleyes: But they're small so lets act like a south park episode and point and laugh. I just don't get it.
    There would absolutely be joking if it was someone in a wheelchair. The same folks as the ones here. There are still plenty of people showing empathy to her. I know there are some rotten posts but still plenty of good people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Bless me father for I have sinned, the mental picture of this incident happening made me laugh and laugh and laugh.

That's a pretty serious empathy problem you have there. Not that you'll care, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭fallen01angel

I'm as far as snowflake as you can find,but this behaviour is dragging the end of the barrel, this poor woman was targeted as an object of "fun" for a couple of young knuckle draggers...why, because they saw her as vulnerable,a soft target.... which one of them recorded for prosperity, to be sent onwards to friends ,social media where ever he wanted....and let us not forget,that crap is permanent😬 Although this is the After Hours forum and by most posters, not to be taken too seriously......
    Where the fcuk does it stop.....where do we pause and say,nope this behavior isn't acceptable to me......
    Is it by definition a "hate crime" .....to me personally no it's not,is it despicable behavior by a couple of scumbags........absolutely!!!
    For anyone who finds it an amusing story or posting quick witted retorts......just imagine it was your sister or your niece that it happened to.....

If anyone sees behavior that insults the victim here then report it to a mod. The parts I discussed were to do with the nature of 'Hate crime' and I think many have commented on the same but I would have no time for people insulting someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

This is far from a hate crime.

It was anti social behaviour by 2 little sh1ts, it was also demeaning and disrespectful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I'm a 5 foot tall man and years ago at a house party my "friends" put me into a dishwasher box and sealed it shut. They then put it into a van and drove to a volcano and threw me in.
    Well, don't just leave us hanging...
    How did you escape from the volcano?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It's not a hate crime.

And anyway, the idea of a hate crime is bullsh1t. It's either a crime or it's not a crime.

Well, no, there are lots of different categories of crimes. Even under the banner of killing another, there are categories.

A burglary isn’t a hate crime. The murder of James Byrd in the US in 1998 was.

I personally wouldn’t class the story in the OP as a hate crime. It was just classic opportunistic cowardice. I have a friend with dwarfism. You wouldn’t believe the absolute shit he has to put up with all the time. It’s just probably the same for this poor woman. I don’t blame her for feeling vulnerable and sensitive to these happenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

grindle wrote: »
    Yeah but loik, not according to Oirish law or anything. Therefore not real hate despite clear prejudice and a clearly hateful despicable act.

The gardai disagree with you.

https://www.garda.ie/en/Crime/Hate-crime/What-is-hate-crime-.html
    ‘Any incident which is perceived by the victim or any other person as being motivated by hate, based on a person’s age, race, ethnicity, religious belief, gender identity, disability, or sexual orientation’ .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

If anyone sees behavior that insults the victim here then report it to a mod. The parts I discussed were to do with the nature of 'Hate crime' and I think many have commented on the same but I would have no time for people insulting someone else.
    Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Well we know she’s not happy...that narrows it down to six...

Well this one suggests she’s one of the 7 dwarfs but it was let off by the mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

You think that Dwarves are a different race ?

try and think before you post. seriously.
    ‘Any incident which is perceived by the victim or any other person as being motivated by hate, based on a person’s age, race, ethnicity, religious belief, gender identity, disability, or sexual orientation’ .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Trump Is Right

Right, but how do you prove that these pair of clowns actually harbour hatred towards midgets?

Leapfrogging over someone doesn't prove you hate them? Unless they shouted something discriminatory before or after the incident, you cannot actually prove hatred. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Her condition is indeed a disability.

I wonder how many of the big lads with the little jokes have been invited to Davos to hang out with Christine Lagarde, Will I Am, Oprah and more?

https://extra.ie/2019/01/26/entertainment/celebrity/irish-activist-sinead-burke-tells-davos-disabled-people-need-platforms

• Advertisement

Right, but how do you prove that these pair of clowns actually harbour hatred towards midgets?

Leapfrogging over someone doesn't prove you hate them? Unless they shouted something discriminatory before or after the incident, you cannot actually prove hatred. ;)

I dont have to prove anything. Anybody who isnt a **** knows what this was.

Advertisement