Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate crime? Really?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

strandroad wrote: »
    It's far beyond teen stupidity

i dunno, teenagers can be very stupid. what do you think their motivation was?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Pair of scumbags tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

She was assaulted

From the article:
    One of the boys landed in front of me. He had jumped over me, leap-frogged over my head from behind

He nailed the jump so didn't physically touch her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Hate crime is just a buzz word. Crimes motivated by discrimination is what they are. And this would seem to fit the bill.
    From the article:

In Ireland an assault doesn't require physical contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

i think "Hate" crime is a bit of a misnomer here. Does anyone actually think these little sheits did what they did because they "hate" small people? Who goes round hating people with dwarfism? nobody, thats who.

their actions were cruel and mean. But being the victim of a a "Mean Crime" doesnt sound quite as good i guess.

Who goes around attempting to diminish hate crimes? That weird cohort of dreadful, pedantic and massively tedious AH posters, that's who.

Fuck me, this place. Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

i dunno, teenagers can be very stupid. what do you think their motivation was?

Views on social media. But in the process they didn't see her as a human being. A 16 year old would know not to do it to a child they are not that stupid, and yet they did it to this woman.

MrFresh wrote: »
    Hate crime is just a buzz word. Crimes motivated by discrimination is what they are. And this would seem to fit the bill.

In Ireland an assault doesn't require physical contact.

Just had a google of the definition and you're right.
    (b) causes another to believe on reasonable grounds that he or she is likely immediately to be subjected to any such force or impact

She was entitled to call the Gardai in that case.

Who goes around attempting to diminish hate crimes? That weird cohort of dreadful, pedantic and massively tedious AH posters, that's who.

Fuck me, this place. Jesus.
    such righteous indignation! people can have different opinions and thats ok.

Views on social media. But in the process they didn't see her as a human being.

you dont have a shred of evidence for that.

MrFresh wrote: »
    agreed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Funny the people who say it isn't a hate crime and in the same post describe it as exactly what a hate crime is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

They could have easily broken her neck or kicked her in the eye. It's far beyond teen stupidity and you don't do it to a person you're neutral towards.

Yes because we all know how many broken necks and ripped out eyes are caused by playing leap frog.

This is the exact kind of overreaction that has people screaming hate crime. Get over yourself.

such righteous indignation! people can have different opinions and thats ok.

Utter bewilderment, not righteous indignation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

i think "Hate" crime is a bit of a misnomer here. Does anyone actually think these little sheits did what they did because they "hate" small people? Who goes round hating people with dwarfism? nobody, thats who.
    Not sure about the term hate crime either but they still targeted her because of her size.

Yes because we all know how many broken necks and ripped out eyes are caused by playing leap frog.

This is the exact kind of overreaction that has people screaming hate crime. Get over yourself.
    Why do you care more about words than the sh1tty thing that was done to someone alone and unable to defend themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

From the article:

If that's meant to be funny then it's a huge fail. It's also a pedantic attempt to diminish what was an assault.

To Leap Frog: places hands on the first's back and leaps over by straddling legs wide apart on each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Knacks gonna knack.Sad but true.

Funny the people who say it isn't a hate crime and in the same post describe it as exactly what a hate crime is.
    I'm starting to suspect that they would have done it also - or at best think the two lads were ****ing brilliant to have done that to a women who's just a dwarf. Why else such hostility and lack of empathy towards her?

Why do you care more about words than the sh1tty thing that was done to someone alone and unable to defend themselves?

its literally the title of the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Keep rocking out lads!

Guess it wouldn't be After Hours without the madness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Candie wrote: »
    I imagine it's called a hate crime since it only occurred because she is a dwarf. If she wasn't, it wouldn't have happened so she was targeted specifically because she was different. I don't think anyone is promoting it as the worse example of a hate crime but still, what it's called is very much a secondary consideration.

I think what gets people's back up about the term 'hate crime' is the implication that if you were singled out personally rather than as part of some group the crime is different and perceived to be a lesser offence.

If that's meant to be funny then it's a huge fail. It's also a pedantic attempt to diminish what was an assault.

I already figured out that it was an assault a few posts up. It wasn't pedantic either, I genuinely thought that someone had to physically touch someone to assault them. I also didn't understand how 'leapfrogging' worked. I've learned two things on boards today.

Also, just to be clear, I called the two lads who did it 'dickheads' and I wasn't condoning what they did, the issue I had was that I didn't think it was a matter for the Gardai but I'm happy to have been proven wrong.

I'm starting to suspect that they would have done it also - or at best think the two lads were ****ing brilliant to have done that to a women who's just a dwarf. Why else such hostility and lack of empathy towards her?

I suspect that they simply don't give a shit about what happened to her, as opposed to being literally hostile towards people with Achondroplasia, but the concept of hate crime irks them because it also applies to attacks against marginalised groups that they do hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,084 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Kids who targeted the lady were 16 so why go to primary schools I don't know of any 16 year old in primary school do you...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Candie wrote: »
    I'm not a dwarf but I am quite small and I've had someone pick me up and literally throw me to his friend across a table of drinks, they thought it was hilarious but it frightened me and has never left me. Now I'm anxious in some situations when I never was before. I hope she's okay and her message is heeded by the people she talks to, it's a worthwhile endeavour.

What the **** :(, what kind of meat head Neanderthal thinks this is funny. Hope you kicked him in the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

After Hours really sucks sometimes.

Where have all the sound people gone and why have they been replaced with mean-spirited ejits?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Calhoun wrote: »
    What the **** :(, what kind of meat head Neanderthal thinks this is funny. Hope you kicked him in the balls.

I'm a 5 foot tall man and years ago at a house party my "friends" put me into a dishwasher box and sealed it shut. They then put it into a van and drove to a volcano and threw me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

There are a lot of things I'd call this behaviour but a hate crime? No, not everything you experience or dislike is a hate crime.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/education/sinead-burke-talks-about-the-hate-crime-that-led-to-her-new-campaign-in-dublin-schools-38007423.html

My supervisor was chairing a session at a conference. One of the presentations was about Women in Science. When the presenter finished, my supervisor said that was a wonderful talk from the little lady. The men fell about the place laughing and the women were outraged. He was 'encouraged' not to chair the rest of the session. The presenter was Dr. Little.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I remembered when Queen got into trouble for employing midgets as waiters for one of their parties.

• Advertisement

I suspect that they simply don't give a shit about what happened to her, as opposed to being literally hostile towards people with Achondroplasia, but the concept of hate crime irks them because it also applies to attacks against marginalised groups that they do hate.
    yeah i always try to commit five hate crimes before breakfast

Advertisement