Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Also him spouting on about it not being integrated....

Connection with Green Luas at charlemont, short walk to red line from O'Connell street station.

Connection with DART/train at Tara Street and Glasnevin.

Runs past multiple bus CBCS (i.e. ballymun, phibsboro) and countless bus routes.

Provides a station at the Airport only a 25 minute journey from the city.

Can't see how that's in any way "not integrated".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It’s utterly woeful stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Was he not also strongly against the LUAS in the first place?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

And the DART. The man and his campaigns have been a disaster for Dublin and Ireland, and we should all be thankful that he hasn't been more successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Would metro link not be getting special treatment in ABP as a major piece of infrastructure so the whole process would be quicker compared to say a block of flats etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭prunudo

I don't know, possibly, but equally its more complex so will take up huge amount of resources, if they don't have the staff there's only so much they can get through. You could also argue that housing is equally important.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

And no sooner would more surface Luas lines be proposed then Frank and his ilk would be mobilising over historic cobbles being removed, bollards being manhandled or the sight lines/architectural ensemble of some nondescript corner being offended by the presence of overhead cables. There's simply no winning with these guys, who view the city as their own personal fiefdom and something to be held as a perpetual living museum that is slowly crumbling to dust.

Unfortunely every time they write a polemic it generates heat and fury which is purely what the Times is interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭p_haugh

One of his replies on twitter, he didn't even bother to do any proper research before writing his puff piece!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

What does it even mean to say

"The costly diversion of Metrolink's alignment to link up with Tara Street station when such an interchange would ultimately be provided by Dart underground is also questionable" ?

Is he saying an interchange should only link two lines but no more?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

He's referring to the original route which had SSG West, OCS, Mater, Drumcondra...

Metro would have connected with Dart at SSG West, but this assumes the Dart Underground project went ahead and was completed at the same time. In 2010, the 8.6km DU route was estimated to cost €4.0B.

The costly "diversion" he refers to, meaning an additional stop at Tara Street is most certainly cheaper than building DU.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Wasn't there a guy called What-do-you Colm - McCarthy who said Dublin Airport could be served adequately by the existing buses and coaches?

Now a bit of arithmetic on the back of an envelope shows that is nonsense with a projected 4 million passengers per year using the airport. Of course, if you are wedded to the motor car, this is possible because you would make the assumption the 80% or 90% of passengers would travel by car or taxi, if only there was adequate roads to allow them in, and plenty of taxis to take them away. Unfortunately that aspect of Dublin Airport is not discussed.

Of course, readers of the thread are aware that the Metrolink is not just for the airport, but serves Swords, DCU, Mater, OCS, Tara ST, SSG, and will eventually serve Sandyford - if only the dreadful conundrum of the unexpected surprise of the unknown main sewer and Charlemont, and the impasse of Dunville Ave can be sorted.

We all know that the Luas Green Line is over subscribed from Dundrum into town in the morning, but it is shiny and has the longest trams in the world, so that is grand.

Dublin public transport is blocked by congestion. Underground is the only solution.

Just to correct you Sam. The Green Line is nowhere near oversubscribed inbound from Dundrum in the mornings.

It is perfectly possible to board at Dundrum or other stops and still get a seat during the morning peak.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, I do not travel on the Luas with any regularity so I would not be aware of the current situation.

However, since Covid, the commuting pattern has changed and I know from the Dart that inbound trains in the morning are much less crammed than previously (pre-Covid). In fact between 8 and 9 they are hardly full, so I assume that might be true for the Luas. However, any time I have seen trams north of Charlemont at any time there are no vacant seats and many standing passengers.

It used to be the case that anyone city bound hoping to alight at Windy Arbour would do better to travel out first in order to travel in, but that was pre-Covid.

The trams were all lengthened during Covid and that has made a massive difference in its own right.

Trams start emptying out from Charlemont northbound and I certainly would dispute the lack of seats.

Using common sense, aim for the trams starting at Sandyford, usually identifiable as going to Broombridge, rather than those starting at Brides Glen which would have higher loads. The Sandyford starters always have plenty of room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

Right, but he's saying that Metrolink and DART underground (or DART+ tunnel as it seems to be now) are being designed completely independently of each other, which is ridiculous. If (or when) DART underground goes ahead it will adapt to the reality of Metrolink. The last Jacobs report about DART Underground from 2021 envisaged three lines interchanging at Tara Street. That's a better network, with more connectivity than an interchange of two lines surely?

He seems to care a lot about the city centre where he lives, and is sceptical of anything that benefits those who live out in the sticks - a bit like Michael McDowell in that regard. I remember when the M50 was being designed, he used to preface his scepticism in every article with "M50 (where are the other 49?)"

Yeah it's nonsense. A DU tunnel through the city would absolutely reflect the current / proposed network.

DU is separate to this thread but I don't see it ever happening. That 2010 cost of 4B is probably double that, easily, which would make it twice as expensive as Metro per km. It'll never happen.

Also, I believe there's an issue with an East-West line through Tara Street due to sewerage pipes but could be wrong.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Indeed, the Green Line Capacity Upgrade project has solved the congestion crisis on the Green Line..... for now. With the level of development that has been happening along the line, even their own projections has capacity being a problem in the next ten years again. I happen to think that their projections are incredibly optimistic, as they currently think that the vast majority of the people who will move into the massive Cherrywood development will only travel as far as Sandyford before hopping off.

Yes, as far as I can recall, a Tara St DU station has been ruled out, but I can't remember if it was ruled out by the sewer (which does exist, it's already ruled out moving the MetroLink station) or if it was ruled out by the fact that it'd leaver the DU line with too sharp of a turn northwards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The price for DART Underground included a lot of other works which are to happen this decade independently under DART+. When we get back to the tunnel, there will be a lot less to do than DU envisaged, although there may also be additional complications.

Which works specifically? Neither Metro or Dart+ plans include any enabling works for DU, as far as I'm aware.

• Advertisement

The Dart Underground project, as it was back when it was put forward around the time of Metro North, included much of what we now know as the Dart+ projects. When they realised that getting two tunnels through planning and the political approval was extremely unlikely, they shelved DU and split out all the non tunnel parts.

Ah okay, interesting. Like basically upgrading the signalling etc., electrifying the lines to Maynooth / Hazelhatch?

In any case, I'd guess we're at least a decade away from seriously re-considering the DU project.

It was going to be a kitchen sink project, everything done at once. Electrification, quad tracking, signalling, level crossing closures, everything. In hindsight, a crazy way of doing a project in Ireland.

Absolutely - but I just wanted to correct a factual error in Sam’s post.

Yeah, I got that, just wanted to provide some context for yours. I think that there's a few new posters around these parts (kinda shocking with boards new set up), so just just wanted to give them the full backstory and future guesses, rather than leave people thinking that it's been solved long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Plus new fleet of EMUs for the greatly expanded electrified network.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Sadly I still not have had the opportunity to read Frank McDonald's article on Metrolink yesterday. But what the hell actually possessed him to write that nonsense for the IT.

I cannot believe, while looking at his twittter feed yesterday, that he would be that daft to say the complete opposite of what Metrolink was trying to offer to the people of Dublin compared to what was laid out within the official plans itself from the NTA.

Does this man have no shame at all in what he has to done to himself and to his career as a journalist/columnist on matters to relating to the environment or on matters relating to public transport. He has shown to have a complete lack of self awareness within himself when he wrote that drivel.

The direct repsonses from the people on his twitter feed from yesterday are really showing him how his parroted nonsense has not made any sense to members of the public who have read or heard about it; some of which who are actual subscribers to the IT.

The responses on his Twitter feed are clearly showing how the karma can be thrown right back in his own face when it is necessary.

If people had taken the effort to research the plans on the Metrolink and Dart plus offiicial websites which mentions how the integration will actually work between the two services at Glasnevin & Tara St; the readers would know that Frank McDonald would have no clue in what is he talking about at all when they look at these plans themselves in their own time.

And I will say it again; if people on social media are pointing out to him that Metrolink is going to provide the complete opposite to what he actually wrote in that article on Saturday. Would he have actually seen the light and have an actual chance to believe them?

I would say no because he doesn't want to give himself any sort of intended belief to say that he was complelty wrong about the whole debacle.

It seems that he justs want to continue on writing to the masses who will read his rubbish whenever he sees fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

He doesn't have to be articulate on the topic he only needs to rabble. That's what the IT is, a red top with delusions of grandeur

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭prunudo

The big fear, as always, is that many of the IT readers will believe everything that is printed. Thankfully he was pulled to task on twitter. At least I know the background to what Metrolink will be, but makes you wonder what other rubbish is printed that I wouldn't be up to speed on.

• Advertisement

I think the IT readers are perfectly capable of making their own opinion, of an opinion piece.

Advertisement