Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Thanks brianc89. Nice pictures.

A reminder that even a basket-case - albeit a fantastic basket-case - like Italy, can build a metro station under a road, with multiple entrances/exits. Presumably Milan continued to function during construction, and now has a nice new line.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Yes it's the 5th metro line in Milan. Milan has 3 airports, although Linate is the nearest to the city. It never had a Metro connection until now. Malpensa has a train station but it's an hour to Milano Centrale.

Let's give wee Dublin a break - we're not the only big city in Europe without a Metro despite this being mentioned frequently!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

In fact most European capital cities don't have a rail link to their airport - if you include Eastern Europe. The only Eastern European capital with a metro link to its main airport is Sofia, Bulgaria.

Even large cities like Warsaw, Prague etc. don't have this. Warsaw has an old conventional rail link to Chopin Airport but everyone takes the bus or drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Warsaw has a decent raíl link. Trains every 15 mins i think.

I'd bite their hands off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Not really comparable. In 2019 Dublin was the 8th busiest airport in the EU with over 32 million passengers and, by a very significant margin, the biggest one with no rail connection. By the time metrolink is built Dublin Airport could well be in the top 5.

Even Vilnius airport in Lithuania with a mere 5 million passengers per year has a frequent rail service to the city centre. The vast majority of East European capitals have airport rail links despite every single one of them being significantly smaller than Dublin in passenger numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭prunudo

I hate the way we always compare ourselves to other countries, such as such has this so we should, this place doesn't so we don't need it.

Why can't, we as a nation want and strive for things that are worthwhile and beneficial for the greater good and the future prosperity of the country as a whole. We constantly sell ourselves short and are made feel bad for wanting to better ourselves, both at individual and national level.

Looking externally to set standards is a positive. That's why we've achieved a better standard of living than most other countries in the world and that's also why inward looking countries like the USA, Russia and increasingly the UK are in decline. Ireland's recent infrastructure woes are largely connected to our past inability to look beyond the anglosphere for a comparison during the thatcherist/regan era. Hopefully those days are done

100% , looking externally for best practice is good. But I just find we always sell ourselves short. Its like we can't have something until for example 5 or more out of 10 cities has X. Now its okay for Ireland to get it.

Or the flip side, we're told we don't need it because the other 5 out 10 don't have it. Whats wrong with aiming high.

Even if something works in one city or country and it would suit our needs we should explore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Ireland is much more of a basket case than Italy. They actually get things done there.

• Advertisement

You don't sound like you've been to Italy. There are still towns, even in the developed North of the country where people have to go to a handpumped well to get buckets of water.

Yeah clearly he's never been to Italy.

Anyone who has, has certainly experienced the long queues of people with buckets, in numerous towns, waiting to manually pump water out of the ground.

🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

I live half the year in Turin.

The rural remote villages you are talking about shows that Italians develop their nation according to population density. In Ireland, we do not build a metro in Dublin but a motorway between Tuam and Galway!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"Ireland's recent infrastructure woes are largely connected to our past inability to look beyond the anglosphere for a comparison during the thatcherist/regan era"

In fairness we were also largely broke during that era.

I agree that we tend to look to the UK and London for our infrastructure inspiration, when Amsterdam and Copenhagen would like be a much better match for Dublin (similar size, population and density).

"100% , looking externally for best practice is good. But I just find we always sell ourselves short. Its like we can't have something until for example 5 or more out of 10 cities has X. Now its okay for Ireland to get it."

I get what you are saying, but when it comes to infrastructure and public transport, we are decades behind similar sized European cities, never mind larger ones. While Ireland has lots of positives in terms of culture, quality of life, etc. we just have so much catching up to do. We are only starting to do now, what other similar sized European cities started doing in the 60's and 70's if not sooner.

There really isn't anything in the area of infrastructure/public transport that Ireland does better then these countries and there really isn't any new magical solution that they haven't already tried. We just need to roll up our sleves and get building our Metro's, Dart+, tram lines, BusConnects, bike lanes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LucianBelmau

As an Italian-born person myself I beg to disagree with that statement. We don't get things done, just in a different way from the way things don't get done here 😂

As to the hand-pumps, that's something I've never witnessed even in the rural South. No idea if in some extremely remote mountain villages that'd be the case lol

I think a good comparison to the Metro North/Metrolink saga is Rome's C line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_C_(Rome_Metro)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we stick to Metrolink - Swords to Charlemont.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Posters

Can we stick to the topic.

Deletions will occur when I can do so.

Post edited by Sam Russell on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There is another paywalled opinion piece about Metrolink on the IT website which was published this morning. The article is for subscribers only. It is titled "Metrolink will lay waste in the City Centre but won't integrate City Transportation".

I know from some of you will say that the title of the opinion column is probably very stupid.

However can anyone read what this opinion piece is saying about on the subject of Metrolink today as I'm very interested in hearing the details. TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

Just read it and it's a whole pile of absolute nonsense. Basically saying it shouldn't be built because there will be some demolition of some buildings. Frank just hates change.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

He has form- I remember when the motorway network was being built he opposed it tooth and nail from his ivory tower in south Dublin. He’s an absolute oppose everything merchant but typical of the Irish times “I’m alright jack” elite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Anyone that travels to major cities in Europe or beyond will know the value of a metro and/or decent public transport. We need to ignore these whingers and develop the infrastructure of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Some of his criticisms are valid, specifically the bonkers location of Stephen's Green station. But the rest of it is just anti-metro nonsense. And in the article he parrots the lie that a station box was built under the Mater hospital.

The SSG location argument is only valid based on his assumptions that 1) Dart Underground will be built and 2) DU will be built as designed over 20years ago.

Is there 'not' a station box under the Mater?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Pretty sure the station box was in fact just a retaining wall that would facilitate a station in the future.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It was indeed just a wall. An expensive, extremely well built underground wall, but just a wall at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hinfeyg2

He's discussing it here

• Registered Users Posts: 34,504 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Disable cookies or use incognito mode.

Frank McDonald is a moron, but it's OK for him, he lives in the city centre (or, at least used to - lived in Temple Bar and complained constantly it wasn't an oasis of peace and quiet)

Edit: Can't believe he's losing his rag over a derelict cinema which closed just under 30 years ago and which will never be used as a cinema again. The facade is to be retained. Or moving a statue. Or taking up some railings temporarily. Joke of an article.

It gets worse. In the article he says metro should be extended to Tallaght via Rathmines, on Twtter he's saying it shouldn't be built at all and more Luas lines would be better! you could not make this up.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

>An extensive Luas network would be more economical & less damaging.

So he thinks a surface level light rail system won't destroy Dublin, but an underground one will. Also luas sharing road with everyone else doesn't solve any mass transit problems. I don't understand why the Irish Times insist on giving these people unquestioned access to their paper, they could at the very least provide a counter point to these opinion pieces from people with a track record of opposing everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,504 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Luas is much too slow and has nowhere near enough capacity.

It only seems like a good thing in Dublin because almost everything else about public transport is far worse.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

I mentioned the piece to my parents earlier, they buy the times, 'oh the metro to the airport' was the reply. Away from this thread I wonder how much damage these opinion pieces cause to public opinion on the prospect of large infrastructure projects. They set a bad narrative from the offset which then gets refreshed every few months.

Really need someone from NTA proactively pushing these projects.

On a side note, I've no idea how this project will be on target, a company I do work for are waiting on planning which is in aBp and heard during week that they are only processing Q1 2021 appeals at present, if true the country is f@#ked.

Advertisement