Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭jmreire

What has he done about any of the stuff he says he cares about?
    Nothing. He hasn't bothered his back side getting involved at the grassroots. He wants the top job straight away.

In love with himself if you ask me. A fairly common complaint in self made men and women.

Sure Francie....just tell that the electorate.. be interesting to see how he will get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

eagle eye wrote: »
    Not somebody who disagrees with his views though.

The reason i voted for him in Presidential election was because of the way he was treated in the media especially the night he was on the Late Late Show with that little rat Tubridy.
    The final straw was when the rest of the candidates said the wouldn't mind living beside travellers.

jmreire wrote: »
    When Casey first shot to prominence, the "naysayer's" and anti- Caseyites were out in force....making mainly the same point's....bad speaker, playing on peoples fear's etc. Plenty of more articulate candidate's out there... sure there are, and you know what? People are sick to death of "Articulate Speaker's" They could not care less about articulate speakers... they have been listening to articulate politicians for years... and you know what? They have been lied to and misled so many time's ... so much that they just don't give a damn anymore about "Articulate Speakers" ., Casey was like breath of fresh air. The more Casey is bad mouthed, the more people will say " He must be doing something right" or " he could not be much worse , so I will give him a vote, he says it like it is" And you don't have to be very articulate to "say it like it is"
    Anyone running for the election's now, would want to take Caseys viewpoint seriously....the traveller issue he raised won't just go away.

And don't forget Mr Duffy who trains people to be ''Articulate Speakers'' for a living came last.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,965 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mgn wrote:
    The reason i voted for him in Presidential election was because of the way he was treated in the media especially the night he was on the Late Late Show with that little rat Tubridy. The final straw was when the rest of the candidates said the wouldn't mind living beside travellers.
    Yes, they all lied about it and nobody was buying it. He exposed them all for what they are.

What has he done about any of the stuff he says he cares about?
    Nothing. He hasn't bothered his back side getting involved at the grassroots. He wants the top job straight away.

In love with himself if you ask me. A fairly common complaint in self made men and women.

Plenty of idiots around Leinster house with top jobs not doing to well either.
    The man came from a humble background and made a lot of money all i can say is the best of luck to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,136 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

mgn wrote: »
    Plenty of idiots around Leinster house with top jobs not doing to well either.
    The man came from a humble background and made a lot of money all i can say is the best of luck to him.

Very few of them if any at all, have rocked up having done nothing at a local level, looking for the top job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

As I said in an earlier post even though I voted for him in the Presidential election I don't think I'd be giving him number one again if he was in my area for the European election but he'd definitely get a high preference number 2 or 3

Very few of them if any at all, have rocked up having done nothing at a local level, looking for the top job.

And it shows to.What has the likes of Harris and Murphy done outside politics?
    If the ran a business or lived in the real world the might have some clue.

And it shows to.What has the likes of Harris and Murphy done outside politics?
    If the ran a business or lived in the real world the might have some clue.

No fan of either man but they didn't arrive having done nothing
    Harris was born in Greystones, County Wicklow. He initially studied Journalism and French, at the Dublin Institute of Technology, before dropping out of his course to pursue politics full-time[4]. His involvement in politics began in his teens when he established an autism support and lobby group in Wicklow. From 2008, he worked as an assistant, to then Senator Frances Fitzgerald. In 2009, Harris was elected to Greystones Town Council and Wicklow County Council and served on a number of local committees before his election to Dáil Éireann.

Eoghan Murphy
    He was a Dublin City Councillor from 2009 to 2011, having been elected at the 2009 local elections for the Pembroke–Rathmines electoral area.[4]

No fan of either man but they didn't arrive having done nothing

Eoghan Murphy
    I would take a businessman in any job before a councillor.

• Advertisement

I would take a businessman in any job before a councillor.

I would take someone who was motivated to get involved before I would take somebody who seems to be just massaging his ego.
    2 weeks ago this 'businessman' was wanting to leave the Euro, with no major developments in the world economy in the two weeks, this business man changed his views completely on that. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

He's a fuppin' eejit and anyone that wastes a vote on him is a fuppin' eejit too.

Let's see how many fuppin' eejits there are around those parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ming didnt even get the ganja decriminalised, whats the point in him?

He isn’t Peter Casey, that’s a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Is he actually running

Haven't seen one poster or flyer for him

And I've driven a good bit over the last 7 days in the constituency

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

The man who caused the Jewish Representative council of Ireland to make a complaint to the ombudsman about his anti Semitic remarks and said Travelers should be put in an education camp in the pheonix park wants to represent ALL the people of Ireland in a multicultural multi national parliment like the EU.

https://www.businesspost.ie/news/casey-embroiled-anti-semitic-row-old-interview-resurfaces-426837?preview=1

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/peter-casey-refuses-to-back-down-over-traveller-comments-876533.html

The man uses fascist rhetoric. Nothing matters to him but money and his own self service. He is dishonest and backward.

My Dad said when he was on RTE debating 'I would SPIT on him'.

I love the way your dad said 'SPIT' in capital letters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

circadian wrote: »
    He's a fuppin' eejit and anyone that wastes a vote on him is a fuppin' eejit too.

What sways me most of all are all these articulate well thought counter arguments to Casey's points of view, and how his opposition doesn't have to stoop to attack him personally, and calling him names, to hide their own lack of any decent counter arguments to his points.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,965 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I can tell you that I won't be voting for any major party candidate.
    I think the one called Rabbitte for FF will struggle, posters all over the place and people are very annoyed about it.
    At this stage I'm going 1. Casey 2. Flanagan and nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I love the way your dad said 'SPIT' in capital letters.

He really did. It was capitalized. I was shocked he never speaks like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Nobelium wrote: »
    circadian wrote: »

What sways me most of all are all these articulate well thought counter arguments to Casey's points of view, and how his opposition doesn't have to stoop to attack him personally, and calling him names, to hide their own lack of any decent counter arguments to his points.

You should check out the first radio debate for the presidential debate. Casey spent his time trying to slag Michael d over his height the entire broadcast.

Casey isn't above childish insults himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

Nobelium wrote: »

I think you're taking my post a little too seriously.

Although I do think he's a bit of an eejit in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Is he actually running

Haven't seen one poster or flyer for him

And I've driven a good bit over the last 7 days in the constituency

Same here. The phantom candidate.

Where are people getting the idea he only needs 15k votes from? The lowest number of first preferences to get elected in 2014 was 69k.

I don’t think he will do so well this time as he did in the a Presidential election. FF and FG weren’t running candidates in that, they are here. They’re far more organised and have much stronger local connections.

My dad sees Casey as a millionaire who doesn’t pay his taxes here - and won’t give him a vote for that reason. Anyone in the West who wants to vote for someone who tells it like it is will vote for Ming - he’s extremely popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

eagle eye wrote: »
    I can tell you that I won't be voting for any major party candidate.
    I think the one called Rabbitte for FF will struggle, posters all over the place and people are very annoyed about it.
    At this stage I'm going 1. Casey 2. Flanagan and nobody else.

Rabbitte went a bit crazy with the posters all right but she is not alone, one of the councill candidates is just as bad with them and the locals are giving them a lot of stick about it.

Waste of money for both of them because neither will make it IMO.

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    Same here. The phantom candidate.

Where are people getting the idea he only needs 15k votes from? The lowest number of first preferences to get elected in 2014 was 69k.

I don’t think he will do so well this time as he did in the a Presidential election. FF and FG weren’t running candidates in that, they are here. They’re far more organised and have much stronger local connections.

My dad sees Casey as a millionaire who doesn’t pay his taxes here - and won’t give him a vote for that reason. Anyone in the West who wants to vote for someone who tells it like it is will vote for Ming - he’s extremely popular.

Ming is popular because he is on the turfcutters side about the disputed bogs but he is still too far to the left for a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

Rabbitte went a bit crazy with the posters all right but she is not alone, one of the councill candidates is just as bad with them and the locals are giving them a lot of stick about it.

Waste of money for both of them because neither will make it IMO.

Casey and Flanagan?

You know Ming topped the polls last time out with 125k first preferences?

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    Casey and Flanagan?

You know Ming topped the polls last time out with 125k first preferences?

That post was about Rabbitte and a councillor putting up posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Are the people voting for him simply because of his traveller/immigration comments? Because his whole policy towards the EU seems to have shifted over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Watched the Week in Politics Midlands-Northwest thingy to check out the form. I have to say, yer one Maria Walsh really annoyed me off the bat; kept on talking about 'the future' and 'my generation,' as if that's a policy platform. No-sh*t politics is about the future, you can hardly hop in a DeLorean to legislate from the past. Stopped just short of singing the 'Children are the future' song from the Simpsons. She also dodged the question as to whether she'll me immediately targeting a Dáil seat (which she most certainly will).

Peter Casey bumbling away, not exactly sure what he stands for.

Matt Carthy a bit more honest than Walsh by more or less admitting he has his eye on Leinster House.

Brendan Smith, completely on FF message - headquarters bot.

Ming sounded confident and knows where he stands on things.

Would have liked to hear from Hannigan the Labour candidate but he was nowhere to be seen.

McGuinness a known quantity. Not for me, but is influential in the EPP so is probably worth keeping in there for Ireland's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

GoneHome wrote: »
    Yes but he'll get votes from a certain cohort of FF and FG voters as well, I would think it's Ming he'll oust if anyone (the kind of anti-establishment rural Ireland vote)
    If he doesn't get enough FPVs the trickle from elsewhere won't help him. The majority of FF/FG voters will stick to the plan. Even if they do give him a vote it may well be in the lower preferences which is likely to be too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Ming is popular because he is on the turfcutters side about the disputed bogs but he is still too far to the left for a lot of people.
    He's a bit of a one trick pony, and that was always his winning trick in the past.
    But do you know whats a big issue with the younger generation nowadays? Environmentalism and global warming.
    Ming is like an aging communist. He's on the wrong side of history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yurt! wrote: »
    Watched the Week in Politics Midlands-Northwest thingy to check out the form. I have to say, yer one Maria Walsh really annoyed me off the bat; kept on talking about 'the future' and 'my generation,' as if that's a policy platform. No-sh*t politics is about the future, you can hardly hop in a DeLorean to legislate from the past. Stopped just short of singing the 'Children are the future' song from the Simpsons. She also dodged the question as to whether she'll me immediately targeting a Dáil seat (which she most certainly will).

Peter Casey bumbling away, not exactly sure what he stands for.

Matt Carthy a bit more honest than Walsh by more or less admitting he has his eye on Leinster House.

Brendan Smith, completely on FF message - headquarters bot.

Ming sounded confident and knows where he stands on things.

Would have liked to hear from Hannigan the Labour candidate but he was nowhere to be seen.

McGuinness a known quantity. Not for me, but is influential in the EPP so is probably worth keeping in there for Ireland's sake.
    SF have the support level and accept that he will go for the big house. Smith is probably the FF front runner and Walsh is just there for the exposure. However, if that alleged FG support is as high as claimed she might do better than people imagine. Even though 30%+ would be two seats I would be surprised to see her in the final mix. Hannigan should get to the current Labour support level and maybe even higher. He might even cause a bit of a stir.

As for Casey well it was easy for him to stand out in a field of equally bumbling candidates, much harder here to shine, despite the media devotion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement