Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Oh right, nice, so it would probably be included in SkyUK sorting for ABM. I assume thats the ABM wording for BSkyb?

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I do nothing and see it listed in ABM in FTA HD channels

Freesat UK yes and

Sky UK as providers

Ok so in ABM Providers you do both FreeSAT and Sky UK? I suppose Sky UK has some channels that aren't on FreeSAT? But there'd be tons of duplicates across them, no?

So whats that look like in EPG? Do you have the section bouqets for each or do they go all into the same sections?

Either way adding EarthX shouldn't be a problem and shouldn't mess up anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭andy1249

There is a set of bouquets for Sky and a set for freesat , so yes , there must be some duplicates in there , but none of that matters , as the favourites bouquet is the only one that is ever used , its the one that is there when the box starts up and the only one ever used.

The main thing is that any FTA channel I want , or will ever want , is there in one of the bouquets if and when I need it. No manual tuning required. ABM wipes and refreshes everything at 3:30am daily. The only bouquet it does not touch is the favourites bouquet.

It is by far the best way to set up these boxes.

No faffing about with manual tuning every time something moves , its there in one of the bouquets , always!

My favourites bouquet is set up with about 70 channels , in the order I want them , that is what my EPG looks like.

Im on openvix , if I need a channel from one of the other bouquets , I just hit the up arrow and the rest of the bouquets are shown.

I just use the red button for 7 days epg if I want to set a recording.

Yes 2 sets of Bouquets as EARTH TV HD is on the second one and not bothered to do my own bouquets.

• Advertisement

Very good. Updating nightly (presumably full scan then ABM) seems a bit excessive but overall I really like that - never occurred to me.

I assume since favourites are only references to channels even when frequencies change you dont even notice there was a change since you're only using favourites? Only thing you'd notice was when say BBC turned off their SDs and replaced them with their HDs or so but then again you probably never had the SDs in your favourites anyway.

So you have like I dont know 50 favourites and they always stay the same and presumably saorview and SAT mixed and everything? Correct?

I really like the sound of it cos realistically how often do you go into section bouquets anyway unless for red button maybe or so. Me not much. Mostly Im in 'Saorview' and in FreeSAT 'Entertainment'. Mostly watching say maybe 20 channels unless there is a match on somewhere else.

I am always in my bouquets or if needing to find it quicker my all lists

I dont know 99% of my TV happens on the main channels like RTE, BBC, ITV etc the only time I'm in my bouquets is when I want a news channel or BBC red button. The rest is Netflix etc. TV could easily be done from a single favourites bouquet I reckon. I'll give this a try and see how I like it I think.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Kind of ... It does avoid entering manual tuning details if a channel moves frequency, but an entry in a bouquet you've made yourself, like Favourites, isn't a link to an entry in an automatically generated ABM bouquet, it's a copy of it. So if the tuning details for a channel changes, the entry in your favourites doesn't change with it, it just suddenly becomes invalid and you can't tune it in. So you have to copy the new entry from the ABM bouquet to Favourites and delete the old one, easily done in the WebIf interface.

Thanks in that case I dont really see the big advantage over having a small number of bouquets which I occasionally rescan.

The only advantage 'favourites' has then is it doesnt get deleted by ABM rescan. A manually created 'Others' bouquet for example would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I never found any advantage to ABM. its so easy to update a favourite list in the relatively rare event anything good moves. The only bouquets I have are for different satellite groups. Not an issue for most users.

Yup , only have the HD version of channels in favourites where they exist.

I was oblivious to the entire BBC SD thing , only read about it on here , as Im only interested in the HD versions.

ABM recommended default is to scan nightly at 3:30 am , I didnt make that choice , I just left it at default , if that is what is recommended then that is what I do.

ABM is installed by default in the latest openvix. It is already setup in the EPG section.

The only changes I made in ABM were to enter my local Saorview settings and add BskyB as a provider to make sure all FTA channels were available. ( Some channels have an on / off relationship with "Freesat" like Channel4HD and CNN HD for example. )

My favourites start with all the Saorview channels , then the BBCs then the ITVs , then Channel 4/E4 /More4's and so on , basically anything worth watching ( to me ) is in there.

Occasionally a channel moves , in which case the one in favourites just shows a blank EPG , but ABM will have caught the move , so I just open webif , delete from favourites , and re add it from its relevant bouquet and Im done. Takes less than 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't even bother running ABM automatically, I just run it manually if I see somethings moved.

Just to clarify. In ABM 'BSkyB' is called 'SkyUK' right?

Yes , but it will show up in Webif as BSkyB in your providers list as shown in my screenshot in post 2131.

BSkyB ( or British Sky Broadcasting ) was the original name , its Sky Group Ltd now or something like that. Basically they are one and the same.

The bouquets it creates are all preceeded by Sky UK xxx as opposed to the bouquets created by Freesat , which are all preceeded by Freesat UK etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Post edited by Sir Osis of Liver. on

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Leonita

Evening all. I have a sab box upstairs but finding it difficult to figure out because I'm so used to the zgemma downstairs. Can any of you helpful people recommed a box like the zgemma please? I just want it for watching tv for a couple of hours at night. I don't need 2 sat feeds or recording. TIA :-)

Sat or Saorview

Sab boxes might have info on YouTube to watch

Both saorview and sat are the main requirements thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

look at world of sat and get the Zgemma h8.2h and get them to put on same image as h7s , = job done

It’s 59 euro on amazon with free delivery but you will have to set up yourself

• Advertisement

Thank you. Sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

Ok so I ordered this box its due to arrive at the end of the week. I got them to flash it to Openvix. However I forgot to add the HDD. What type of HDD should I get? Or is it actually essential to have a HDD to store EPG? I won't need recording feature on this box. TIA

Is 32gb enough? I think I have a few of them in a drawer somewhere which would be great :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Yes the EPG data would be less than 50Mb. You may also wish to store the PICON (small channel icons) folder on the USB as well. It too would be less than 50Mb

Ah that's brilliant. Thanks a mill. Will have to get searching during the week!

The amount of 8gb micro sticks i bought years ago and stuck in the back was handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭egal

How can I save several recordings of a single series (eg Poirot) into a single folder in the file list?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

You don’t say the image but for vix go file list, menu, settings and say, on, under the heading " enable automatic collections " with the comment " except in same named directory ", press green to save then have a look, it should show poirot in its own folder, say image if you come back.

Post edited by swoofer on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Tango One

Movie organisor will do the job for you in can be set to auto group shows into. Single folder

Advertisement