Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I hear what you're saying but this does not seem some obscure plugin. It's actually right there in settings/storage after formatting and mounting your hard drive as the bottom option 'FlashExpander'. In standard openatv 7.3.

In any case I wont need that flash expansion since - like you said - I'm also not a friend of installing more than I absolutely need, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. Seems to be a core plugin for storage management.

Edit: I dabbled with it cos I dabbled with kodi. And while I got Kodi to work it seems flaky and right at the edge resource-wise. Not an option over an actual kodi box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

@eam77 set tuner B exactly same as Tuner A and green to save. Job done. And yes settings are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Removed

Post edited by Markus Antonius on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Dangerous disinformation here.

Pure2 is by far the best.

Visually stunning and works wonders right out of the box!

😏Show me a forum that is dedicated to PURE 2? And I mean a forum not a thread. And look at my join date 😁😁🤣🤣

And you don't have a dish!!!

"Visually stunning and works wonders right out of the box!" No such thing.

• Advertisement

They were all the rage for years - the original dreambox etc - but were outmanoeuvred eventually and that was the death of them and along came a new technology anyway and times moved on. I may be wrong, maybe they made a comeback, I'm not an expert but I think one would have heard...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Be careful with those words cam or oscam because of rules about them mentioned in the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mburke

My triviar box died so I got another zgemma H7s via amazon.de. The box came with openatv 6.4 installed but I want to put on vix. When I go to the online image it only shows openatv. The reason I want the vix image is that I have another zgemma box with openvix 6.3.007 and I want to keep the same setup.

Can I check if the following is the correct approach:

I did notice that the plugin from crossepg is not on this box either.

Any advise appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

might be better to copy the image from your first box onto the new box?

The Zgemma h7s has 4 partitions and that means you can have 4 different images. NB It is not advisable to flash the box with a new image using a USB stick as it can cause problems. As you want to keep the same Vix as on the other box this is how you should proceed.

1. Put a formatted usb stick in the box with Vix 6.3.007. 2. Go menu setup Vix click ok select backup manager , now at this point press menu and it should give an option to select backup location so select USB. GREEN to save now select new backup ie green button and a backup will be made to usb
    2. Then when backup finished it will show name of backup and todays date.
    3. exIt out and take out USB from ZGEMMA.
    4. Now put usb with backup into rear usb on new ZGEMMA. go menu setup software management press ok select flash local/online and next menu should show full backup images, select that and your backup should appear select it and here is the bit 4 slots should appear and it will show the slot with the openatv6.4 and you want to keep that so select an empty slot and press ok and wait and your back up will be installed in new box and will boot into it. And be exactly the same as other one.
    5. go slow and let us know how you got on.
    6. if in doubt post back.

As an aside I would not use Crossepg with Vix

• Advertisement

Hi Swoofer,

I formatted a usb drive to file system FAT32 and carried out steps 1 to 3. A folder called backup was created and a vix-rel-6.3007.tar.gz file was placed in it.

When I put usb into the new Zgemma and go into flash local/online it does not see the file and doesn't have an option to point to the usb drive. When I go into storage devices the usb is shown there.

OpenWebif works on both boxes and when I try to ping either boxes I get no reply. When I try to connect using filezilla it fails. I have changed the ftp p/w and have username root but it will not connect. Might be a setting on the local network rather then the boxes themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭FFVII_npc

do you guys save the EPG on a usb or on the SSD?

if on the SSD do you have to clear it out sometimes or does it control the size on the disk that it uses itself?

Epg to SSD, never had an issue with size but I believe that it clears itself each time.

Did you setup a password on box with remote and saved it?

Filezilla and correct ip needed and same password entered.

I have mine saved on ssd and i think it overwrites the data so no bloating is done.

The more sats and channels you have files will be bigger

Ok all of the above was from memory and I don't have the zgemma connected so give me a little while. Can you check usb slot at rear that box has usb 3 as well, its coloured blue the 3 one. I would use the USB 2 slot.

And can you check that the usb actually has the back up on it!! Go to other box with vix and go through the procedure above.

Yes with filezilla you could back up vix to HDD on the first zgemma and then copy that to hdd of new box. I was going the easy route!!

When you change the PW make sure to press green. And case semsitive.

Post edited by swoofer on

The ftp issue was with my laptop rather than the zgemma. I now have Vix installed in a new slot. The way I got there was to update the openatv image on the box. Once I did that and went to the flash menu it had a distribution button which asked what type of image OpenVix, OpenAtv, OpenBH, ApenPI I wanted to download. I selected OpenVix and it downloaded the image 6.4. When the wizard started it asked did I want to use the settings from the USB image. This took the settings / config / Favourites bouquet / timers and installed without issue.

Thanks all for your assistance with this.

Post edited by mburke on

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭MenloPete

For those in the market for a H7S - World of Satellite have them available for £99 currently with free shipping to UK & NI.

For info only, I have no connection with the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭MenloPete

Quite sure, thank you. I'm very happy with my H7s bought for €160 two years ago NOT from WOS, so it seems like a good price to me, especially if you have a method of receiving it via the north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I wonder are they clearing stock for an upcoming newer model?

And of course the elephant in the room; I'm sure Brexit must have hurt their Irish sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

They're still relatively cheap on Amazon France...€143 if you take their free Prime trial plus a few quid for delivery.

Did i not see 99 sterling on wos?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

This has probably been asked but with 68 pages now it's just information overload. I've just notified Sky about my cancellation and have ordered the H7S, Saorview aerial and universal LNB.

Should I flash the box with latest version of OpenVix now? Is that the done thing these days?

Yes you can get the latest OpenVix image flashed to it.

It depends. Maybe OpenVix is where most people go to these days, I dont know. I started with OpenATV years ago and never found it lacking and stuck with it. Probably not much between the distributions tbh, they're all just variations of the same linux software. In any case the h7 has a 4 slot multi-boot thing going meaning you can play around with different images if you like.

It's what you do after that is what is hidden in those 68 pages. Configuration can seem quite involved to the newcomer and may take a while before all is clean and smooth. Once you've done it a few times and understand whats going on its a breeze, but if you're new to this and maybe also not too much of a computer person it can be a bit daunting. Dont let me scare you it's not too bad, but my mom wouldnt have much hope lets put it that way.

Was bored so put together a quick start guide based on OpenATV. This is not comprehensive but after this you'll have Saorview and satellite TV and you'll have a decent EPG and working recording & live pause/rewind etc (if you have a hard drive)

1 - Basic Setup 

This can be done with the basic setup 'wizard'

• language, location
    • date, time, timezone 
    • connect to network/wifi (not a must, but preferable)

2 - Scan Channels - /Menu/Setup/Receiption/

Tuner Configuration

This configuration will allow you to watch/record one thing and record another at the same time.

Despite only having one T2 tuner this is till true for two concurrent Saorview channels if they happen to be on the same multiplexer.

• Tuner A DVB-S2X Astra 28.2
    • Tuner B DVB-S2X Astra 28.2
    • Tuner C DVB-T2 Ireland
      • region depends on where you are, for me its Wexford, Mt Leinster

Automatic Scan

This will scan all the channels based on the tuner configuration above. It will easily take 20 mins and channels will be an unordered mess after.

The next step puts order to this and will weed the stuff out you cant receive/watch anyway.

3 - Organize Channels - /Menu/Setup/Receiption/

AutoBouquetsMaker

Here you define how you want your channels sorted and sectioned. Sections are called 'bouquets', like 'Entertainment', 'Movies', Sports & News' etc. 

For Saorview there is only one option - Saorview (again region!) 

For FreeSAT you have the option to go for the FreeSAT, Sky UK or Sky Irl ordering. You need to pick a region here, too, but that just affects what regional BBCs and ITVs you're getting in your bouguets, like BBC NI or Scotland or whatever. There will be an extra bouquet for all the regional BBCs, too.

Configure

Everything 'no' or 'none' except 'Skip services on non-configured sats' 'yes'

Providers

I prefer not to have an 'All channels' bouqet with 160 channels and I dont bother having a separate HD bouquet either. I simply want the typical sections and I want HD where an HD channel exists and where it doesnt it's gonna be non-HD. Also all the encrypted and pay channels will be weeded out (Free-to-air only).

• FreeSAT UK 
      • BBC East Anglia
      • FTA only 'yes'
      • Create main bouquet 'no'
      • Create sections bouquet 'yes'
      • Create HD bouquet 'no'
      • Swap channels 'yes'

For Saorview the options are fewer 'cos there are fewer channels. I just go with the one main bouquet 'All channels' which I later rename in OpenWebif's BouquetEditor to 'Saorview'. Again no HD bouquet, we only got three atm anyway. HD channels automatically replace SD channels in this section, no 'Swap channels' option needed.

• Saorview
      • FTA only 'yes'
      • Create main bouqet 'yes'
      • Create HD bouquet 'no'

Providers Order

I go with terrestrial (Saorview) as first bouqet

Hide Sections

I usually get rid of some sections like Children, Special Interest, Shopping etc

Keep Bouquets

Keep nothing, its all that stuff from other satellites, continental ones etc. None of it relevant in a typical home setup.

Start Scan

'Scan' means 'Autobouqetsmaker' will now apply the above rules to all the channels that have been found during the 'Automatic Scan' in step 2 and order them accordingly

---

After this you will have the basic setup and all the relevant channels. When you press EPG you can browse with PREV/NEXT through your bouqets and select and watch channels

---

Note

The 'Automatic Scan' (tuner) and the 'Autobouqetsmaker' scan are not steps you need to do on a regular basis. Only when channels change (disappear). But when channels do disappear they typically have changed the frequency on them. In which case you simply do 'Automatic Scan' and ABM scan again. Potentially also update the ABM plugin or at least run 'Update provider files' in ABM.

---

A couple of more things I would defny do right away

4 - Hard Disk / USB Drive (if you've got one) 

/Menu/Setup/System/Storage Devices

• format
    • convert to EXT4
    • Mount manager - mount on /media/hdd

This will allow configuration of the hard disk as your store for all the important stuff that needs storing

/Menu/Setup/EPG/EPG Setting

• EPG location -> /media/hdd
    • similar for CrossEPG (see below)

/Menu/Setup/Playback, Recording & Time Shift/Playback Settings

• default movie selection location -> /media/hdd/movies

This is where the 'movie planner' (recordings) is looking for recordings

/Menu/Setup/Playback, Recording & Time Shift/Recording Settings

• Timer recording location -> /media/hdd/movies
    • Instant recording location -> /media/hdd/movies

This is where all the recordings go, scheduled ('timer') and spontaneous ones

/Menu/Setup/Playback, Recording & Time Shift/Time Shift Settings

• Timeshift location -> /media/hdd/timeshift

This is where the 'timeshift' data is being stored, 'timeshift' as in the feature where you can pause, rewind, ffw live-tv 

---

Now you will be able to pause, rewind, ffwd live-tv and set scheduled recordings (timers) and also 'series link' recordings called auto-timers. Auto-timers work off 'matching' the epg data, like channel, program name, dates, times etc. Auto-timers work nearly all the time, but can't account for short notice program schedule changes. Either way timers will need working and regularly updated EPG data. See below 'CrossEPG'.

Drives & Sticks

You will need a speedy enough storage device. Fortunately the H7 has a proper SATA hard drive bay and also USB 3.0, allowing for internal and external drives. 

If you're using a USB stick/drive make sure you plug it into the USB 3.0 port and not into one of the two USB 2.0 ports. If you use a USB stick rather than a USB hard drive make sure its a quality USB stick, ideally a 'SSD' stick e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N7QDO7M/  

If you're using an internal SATA drive I would recommend buying an SSD. I found mechanical hard drives can make noise through vibration and a 500GB no-name SSD costs very little these days, e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fanxiang-S101-Internal-Compatible-Desktops/dp/B09XDJPPMB

As for space requirements - full HD from the satellite requires roughly 3.2GB per hour meaning a 500GB drive will have enough room for about 150 hours of recordings.

5 - Essential Plugins

/Menu/Plugins/Manage Plugins

CrossEPG Downloader

For FreeSAT you don't automatically get a 7 day EPG (for Saorview you do, no worries there). This plugin will prepare and maintain the satellite EPG data for you. It will pull the EPG data from a special satellite channel and from online sources. 

Install the plugin if not already there, then...

/Menu/Setup/EPG/CrossEPG
    • Storage device
      • ideally hard drive or USB stick
    • schedule daily download at 4am or so
    • OpenTV providers
      • Sky UK OpenTV (the 'special' EPG data satellite channel, if you dont have wifi/network thats your only source)
    • XMLTV providers
      • UK/Ireland - FreeSAT
      • UK/Ireland - FTA
    • Download Now

OpenWebif

The OpenWebif plugin lets you access the H7 from your browser within your local home network. It makes for example bouquets renaming and re-ordering much easier and lets you do a few handy other things too including streaming your box's channels to your laptop etc. 

Once the plugin is installed your box should be accessible at http://zgemmah7. If that doesnt work find out through your router what IP address is assigned to your box and use this, e.g. like http://192.168.1.25

Skin?

Matter of taste, I like the standard 'Sly' HD skin (Menu/Setup/Software Mgmt/Skin Packages/kiddac-1080-slyk-r19). Mostly because I had a SkyHD box for years and its what my household is used to. 

There is also a slyk 'Q' variant and a blend of the two available. There are 'virgin' lookalikes too and all sorts of other ones. 

Skins affect your menus too. Beware with some of the more exotic and lesser maintained skins you could be struggling with some of the menu options. But the ones in the pre-configured OpenATV repos should be safe.

Fine tuning?

My 'fine tuning' is usually no more than configuring the EPG/skin. The Slyk skin author has some handy guides here: https://www.linuxsat-support.com/board/1462-enigma2-kiddac/.Basically you want 'Graphical EPG" with the little preview window and you can install little program logos (picons) that will show in your EPG. All this looks best with certain column sizes, font sizes etc

Post edited by icdg on

I will assume you will be adding a hdd/ssd into box.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Maybe there is something in the theory that WOS are clearing stock in preparation for a new model?

£99.00

• 2 or more £97.00
    • 5 or more £94.00
    • 10 or more £90.00

Advertisement