Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Yes not detected go into deep standby and power off at rear then on.

Go back in and see if storage is listed.

Was this in box when it arrived or after?

Not yet as storage needs to be seen first

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭joeirish

And this is the next menu screen - Mounts Editor

Storage needs to be listed first

Sorry I should have loaded these screenshots which is what I see when I click on Network

So I click on Mounts and get this

Nothing happens when I click on Mount again. When I clcik on Mount manager I get the following

• Advertisement

You need to do MENU-SETUP and see storage first so exit out of everything go into deep standby and then power off at rear then on.

If storage is not seen it might need powering off and unplug everything and take box top off to check connections on internal are firmly connected and put back together and power on.

Thanks for all this help, really appreciate it. So would the connections have come disconnected even though I haven't even moved the box or touched it or anything? I've unplugged it after it shut down in deep standby. Will see what happens and if no joy then I'll take it apart in the morning. Cheers.

You're a star! All back now. Whew. So do you think there is an issue with the HDD or is this just something that these boxes suffer from. Thanks a million.

No problem if Hdd was fitted in stockists there has been posts of hdd lost so checking it without cables or plugs is the next thing to do .

I never got around to fitting a SSd in mine as i have an externally powered one via usb

okay thats a start and press file list and say what percentage is there

+ go into the trash and see if you see many programs listed there

• Advertisement

So I can now see Storage on the menu setup list. Wasn't there before??

I've 90% free disc space and the Trash is empty (I've been deleting items from this from time to time anyway.) Wonder why this glitch and what caused it and why it is now OK?

Check to see if it is listed in mounts also if it happens again no harm checking conections on hdd or if a driver had a hiccup

Powering off at rear can clear bugs that were stored and if box was running slow bit more than a reboot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

doesn't the drive have to be initialized to work properly?

i only use a usb drive and it does need to be initialized, not sure about internal drives

All recording devices usb/hdd/ssd need to be Iniatialized to be in ext4 format for recording on.

His problem was drive not seen and does happen to vanish and deep standby to power off for a min then on usually fixes the hidden storage device

ok just once he knows it needs to be initialized

my usb drive still kinda works without being initialized (even records and pauses) and some things he was saying sounded like it might not be initialized

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

It is possible that the HDD is dying. Even a brand new drive can be a dud. I too would wonder if it has in fact been formatted to EXT4. The history of erratic drive behavior is worrying.

One used to be able to check Hdd for ext4 but lately i seem i cannot , i think Abu said its automatic when done Initialize drive to ext 4 as older images were ext3 and you needed to be ext4

Thanks, I do know this. I've been using the box for about a year already recording programmes without problems on the HDD. This has just started happening so not to do with initialising as far as I can tell.

I'll check this out and when I've watched the saved programmes (probably over CHristmas when there might be a lot less good stuff on the telly!) I'll re-initialize it. It came all set up with VIX installed when I bought it so I've assumed it's the correct format. The box had Vix 5.4.? on it until I flashed the newer image. ANybody know what format the earlier versions of VIX used, ext 3 or ext 4? Shame there's no way of checking.

Thanks

BTW I do have an external HDD which I used with a previous box. I can change location with this one and see stuff still on the old HDD. Can I copy recordings from the internal HDD to my external HDD and then I could re-initialise the internal HDD to ensure it's formatted ext 4? Cheers

• Advertisement

If the external one is seen it might be possible to move it via green button.

Your mounts show where it can be moved to so you need to know the name of internal and external so its moving to correct spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

What's the highest download speed people are getting on this box?

I use powerline+ethernet cable and it tends to jump between 5120 and 10240 KiB/second (which I figure is 10MB/s)

I have 1Gb internet and can get up to 13 MB/s on wifi devices through the same powerline connection.

I get about 98MB/Sec wired. No idea on WiFi. Some power strips/extension leads with surge protection can mess up powerline units. Plug it directly into the wall if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Yep, plugged straight into the wall. The 13MB/s I get on my phone is from a Wi-fi emitter connected to the same powerline as the Zgemma box.

Maybe I need to play around with the settings. I use Pure2 image.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redoctober

Hi. Still haven't had a chance to go at this. Hoping to tonight. Should I back up my settings before I do this? Can I load those settings once the new image is flashed? I don't want to have to go through the whole process of setting the box up the way I have it again. Thanks.

Yes and yes.

It's always a good idea to do regular backups of your settings. A few seconds now can save many hours of swearing later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭swoofer

Because you have a problem and the image is old the best option is to start from new. Bear in mind the box has 4 partitions so your old image can stay on the box. When you go to update the option to backup will appear so say yes and it will back up to HDD. For this instance its best to start from scratch and new vix has a lot included as standard so you may have very little to do to get it the same. Have you managed to check if the driver for your wi fi is installed?

Also you can flash new image on another slot and when asked to do a back up say no, then when it flashes it will give you the option to restore settings from image 5.4. And to be fair if you do a backup with new image and then get asked to restore you will get a list of backups in date order.

I'd really like to know if that wi fi driver is installed.

So remember to pick a free slot for new image, it will show 4 slots and your 5.4 will appear as current.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redoctober

Hi guys.

Stupid question time: my wifi is in another part of the house. I've brought the box over to connect via LAN. How do I now connect the laptop to the zgemma? Sorry if this is painfully obvious....:-) I have wifi dongle.

MENU > INFORMATION > NETWORK

type the IP into a browser on laptop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭swoofer

why do you want to connect zgemma to laptop?

Advertisement