Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 World Snooker Championship (Mod Note Post One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I take your point, but given there's less than 1000 seats to flog, the high levels of customer service you refer to has to be paid for somehow. (And can we ban the "vegan" t-shirts? Bloody holier-than-thous.)

It is cramped when on two tables, but short of building a custom arena just for snooker I don't see any way around that.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Parrot said he was like Alex Higgins at this best during the final - very good comparison IMO. Hopefully we get many years of this "naughty" snooker:D;)

Was Higgins ever at his best......? He was so erratic it was ridiculous. How many times in big tournaments did Higgins fail to show......he had the odd final frame win over Steve Davis but for the majority of his career he was fighting his own demons and blamed third parties for a lot of his losses.....don’t get me wrong he had great talent and ability but personality wise he was way out there......getting thrown out of windows, assaulting players and referees, pissing in flower pots after a match etc etc........don’t see a whole lot of similarities with trump to be honest.....parrot is over wearing those rose tinted glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I take your point, but given there's less than 1000 seats to flog, the high levels of customer service you refer to has to be paid for somehow. (And can we ban the "vegan" t-shirts? Bloody holier-than-thous.)

It is cramped when on two tables, but short of building a custom arena just for snooker I don't see any way around that.

What are the vegan tshirts?

Well during the first week anyway on one of the tables you couldn't cut to a shot of one of the players sittiing in their seat without seeing yer wan in one of her pro-vegan t-shirts. In the first round she had a couple of accomplices, as well.

Life ain't always empty.

Well during the first week anyway on one of the tables you couldn't cut to a shot of one of the players sittiing in their seat without seeing yer wan in one of her pro-vegan t-shirts. In the first round she had a couple of accomplices, as well.

Ugh sounds awful. Missed them thankfully!

• Advertisement

It's pushing a political agenda as far as I am concerned, if someone was sitting in a prominent position in the Crucible with a "STOP BREXIT" or "LEAVE NOW" t-shirt I'd expect them to be asked to cover up or change their clothing, or be ejected.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,258 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It's pushing a political agenda as far as I am concerned, if someone was sitting in a prominent position in the Crucible with a "STOP BREXIT" or "LEAVE NOW" t-shirt I'd expect them to be asked to cover up or change their clothing, or be ejected.

I agree. Seems a bit unfair on the likes of that regular fan who used to normally wear the Coventry football shirt
    Now he has to wear a bowling shirt with just the Coventry colours.
    Yet they have the likes of these others with political statements!? :confused:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Was Higgins ever at his best......? He was so erratic it was ridiculous. How many times in big tournaments did Higgins fail to show......he had the odd final frame win over Steve Davis but for the majority of his career he was fighting his own demons and blamed third parties for a lot of his losses.....don’t get me wrong he had great talent and ability but personality wise he was way out there......getting thrown out of windows, assaulting players and referees, pissing in flower pots after a match etc etc........don’t see a whole lot of similarities with trump to be honest.....parrot is over wearing those rose tinted glasses

Plus if you look at the amount of century breaks scored:

https://cuetracker.net/statistics/centuries/most-made/all-time

Alex Higgins only has 86
    Terry Griffiths has the same

Cliff Thorburn has 91

Yet the other two were hardly even called a light breeze! They were master tacticians.... etc

Part of the reason Higgins got so few century breaks was because he was a terrible positional player. The mad recovery shots look great in the highlights though.

I agree. Seems a bit unfair on the likes of that regular fan who used to normally wear the Coventry football shirt
    Now he has to wear a bowling shirt with just the Coventry colours.
    Yet they have the likes of these others with political statements!? :confused:

Wait, he was stoipped from wearing his Coventry FC shirt? He was there for years! And some eejit decided that soccer was too plebian for the Crucible so he had to wear a bowls shirt? for feck's sake.

Life ain't always empty.

Wait, he was stoipped from wearing his Coventry FC shirt? He was there for years! And some eejit decided that soccer was too plebian for the Crucible so he had to wear a bowls short? for feck's sake.

Yeah when I had my tickets for this year, I received an email with all the usual bells and whistles about travel, access etc but this bit on dress code

"Information regarding dress code

World Snooker requests that no sportswear or team sport shirts are worn. You may be refused admission until suitable alternative clothing is found."

• Advertisement

Wait, he was stoipped from wearing his Coventry FC shirt? He was there for years! And some eejit decided that soccer was too plebian for the Crucible so he had to wear a bowls short? for feck's sake.

Yeah, he always sits in the same spot. Barry Hearn brought in the rule last year.

Well that would exclute bowls shirts, would it not :)

Now if they could just come up with a wording that would ban the bloody vegans :D

Life ain't always empty.

It's obviously a move to reduce 'free sponsorship'. Wear a Coventry shirt, you're advertising Midrepro and probably Skybet if it's on the sleeves. Most tv shows where there are live audiences do the same (unless it's for football fans, rugby fans etc).

I kind of understand it but think that guy should have been given a pass on the rules given that he's been doing it for so long.

The vegan one though, I'm all for banning! :D

Sad to see a genuine "snooker looper" fall foul of Hearn's bs rules. :( the irony given that he wore 80s shirts with no gambling, Hearn is fine with snooker being up to its tits in dodgy gambling sites.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Anybody notice his Coventry City themed suit jacket at the final session?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Plus if you look at the amount of century breaks scored:

https://cuetracker.net/statistics/centuries/most-made/all-time

Alex Higgins only has 86

Thats a very interesting site and statistic. Who would have thought Fergal O'Brien has nearly three times as many centuries as Alex Higgins. Bizarre stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Thats a very interesting site and statistic. Who would have thought Fergal O'Brien has nearly three times as many centuries as Alex Higgins. Bizarre stuff.

Higgins at his peak competed in about 4 actual tournaments a year. He was banging in centuries at exhibitions all over the place in between.

The century counter is extremely unfair on the older players, they played far less games. That’s before we get into the quality of tables, clothes and balls.

I’d like the see a century per frame count. Ronnie would still be on top, I’d say, but it would be a fairer reflection.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Trump and Ronnie are tied at one century per 11.04 frames. Jimmy is on about 1 every 36 while Alex is around one century per 72 frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Judd up to number 2, just behind Ronnie.

Selby back to 6 now.

Dave Gilbert up to number 12
    Gary Wilson number 20 after their Crucible runs.

Ken is 56, and Fergal a perilous 63. Dominic Dale has dropped out of the top 64, so not sure if he's retiring as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

There's an element of 'before Hendry' and 'after Hendry' about century statistics.

Going for century breaks wasn't really a thing - even Steve Davis during his decade of domination. Steve's standard frame was 'win an early safety encounter, make a break of 40 from loose reds, get into another safety battle and make another 40 points to win the frame'.

Hendry ushered in an entirely new way of playing - going into the pack at an early stage just wasn't the done thing before him. Suddenly Hendry was splitting the reds open when he was on a break of 16 and there were still a couple of loose ones available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Sad to see a genuine "snooker looper" fall foul of Hearn's bs rules. :( the irony given that he wore 80s shirts with no gambling, Hearn is fine with snooker being up to its tits in dodgy gambling sites.

yep, and he allows a certain JH play with impunity

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Brian? wrote: »
    Higgins at his peak competed in about 4 actual tournaments a year. He was banging in centuries at exhibitions all over the place in between.

The century counter is extremely unfair on the older players, they played far less games. That’s before we get into the quality of tables, clothes and balls.

I’d like the see a century per frame count. Ronnie would still be on top, I’d say, but it would be a fairer reflection.
    zuutroy wrote: »
    Trump and Ronnie are tied at one century per 11.04 frames. Jimmy is on about 1 every 36 while Alex is around one century per 72 frames.

There's an element of 'before Hendry' and 'after Hendry' about century statistics.

Going for century breaks wasn't really a thing - even Steve Davis during his decade of domination. Steve's standard frame was 'win an early safety encounter, make a break of 40 from loose reds, get into another safety battle and make another 40 points to win the frame'.

Hendry ushered in an entirely new way of playing - going into the pack at an early stage just wasn't the done thing before him. Suddenly Hendry was splitting the reds open when he was on a break of 16 and there were still a couple of loose ones available.

That is why I compared Alex Higgins to players of his era Terry Griffiths, Thorburn etc. Terry Griffiths retired the same year as Alex and played 7 years less as a pro. I deliberately picked the less flashy players to show up the Alex Higgins myth. His positional play was just a disaster, and he had to constantly try and get himself out of trouble with crazy shots. Great touch though for the feel shots to give him his due.
    Also I didn't compare Higgins to Davis even though they played in largely the same era (Davis got over 300 centuries) but had a much longer career than Alex.

Selby back to 6 now.

Ken is 56, and Fergal a perilous 63. Dominic Dale has dropped out of the top 64, so not sure if he's retiring as a result.

Ken, Fergal and Dominic are really just playing for the fun of it now.

Is there any sign of an Irish fella coming up through the ranks to replace Fergal and Ken yet?
    Or have playstation/xbox, netflix, smartphones, and 'Game of Thrones' killed any chance of a young Irish snooker player statistically making it into the top 64?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

An utterly majestic, next-level display by Trump in the final. Some of the shots were utterly outrageous, with computer-level accuracy needed. I got a real sense of wow when watching him play, as if I was looking at a once in a generation talent once again raising the bar of what's possible. I think if he continues his frame of mind, there's no limits to what he could achieve in the game with that skillset. Not a single player on the circuit could have stopped him in that final match, and lets not forget the absolute thumping he gave Ronnie in the final of the Masters. Massive potential lies ahead for Judd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I have never seen anything like it. An absolutely breathtaking final. Higgins was good, but he was absolutely blown away by safety, long potting and break building. A complete performance.

But I have the gnawing doubt that not only did we think we would be here 7-10 years ago, but also he nearly lost in a couple of earlier games.

He is capable of heights that nobody else (arguably bar Ronnie) can reach. But he is just as capable of mediocrity as any of the other top players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

D9Male wrote: »
    He is capable of heights that nobody else (arguably bar Ronnie) can reach. But he is just as capable of mediocrity as any of the other top players.

Of course, he's still human. In himself though, he has reached heights this year that he has never before.

What's he like off the table these days? He used to have a bit of a party boy image.

Although his Dad recently said in an interview that he's always been quite shy in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I dont believe you can talk about century scoring without reference to the table conditions they enjoy now. I dont fully understand why this point isnt fully grasped by people as we hear commentators talk often enough about the "super fine" cloths, faster tables and, latterly, the fact that they might as well be playing on "nine ball" (Stephen Hendry) tables these days. Previous generations played on heavy cloths with heavier balls that made maneuvering of the cue ball and splitting reds a much harder business than it is today. Mentality is definitely part of it to be sure, Hendry was revolutionary in that respect, but i think to compare players now and of the past in terms of century scored is an exercise in false equivalence as those generations simply could not do things the modern player can on what they had to deal with.

I think the Alex Higgins-Judd Trump comparison is very valid in one crucial respect. Higgins was a flamboyant, reckless player in the 70s who frittered several titles away with a cavalier kamikaze approach on the table. Should have won minimum 3 world titles in that period with his talent imo. By the 80s he had resurrected himself as a fine tactical player with a finely tuned safety game that won him a world title, UK title and a few other big prizes. Tragically as we know, a rabble rousing alcoholic had no real business enjoying a sustained run at the top of the game. But i do think something similar faced Trump over the previous 6-7 years in terms of his playing style.

Judd is truly a great player and his final performance was truly magnificent. He got a handy draw through the tournament this year, i thought, but he made the best of that good fortune and i salute him for it. However, it sticks in this craw a bit to hear the likes of the bbc (and barry hearn which is pretty much the same thing) hype the whole thing as the best ever, best ever final, best ever tournament, best ever standard etc etc. I honestly dont know how that best ever narrative squares with the fact that if everything was so truly wonderful, the game itself is declining and there is little talent coming through in the UK, nothing at all in Ireland and the average age of tournament winners has been steadily increasing for a decade. As someone mentioned earlier, this is the elephant in the room they completely ignore.

Anyway, maybe i'm just a cynical old crank unable to appreciate the greatness of all these guys scoring century after century on what are fast becoming glorified pool tables. But i just think it demeans the sport and is disrespectful to the former greats of the game that they are making scoring so much easier and then trying to sell it as some sort of dizzying, spellbinding modern standard. I dont believe that is the case at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Selby back to 6 now.

Did hear Dale was retiring somewhere, but he did retain his card through the one-year ranking list so would expect to see him on tour again the coming season.

• Advertisement

The more I think about Cahill and ROS the more worried I get.

I got a horrible feeling watching Hearn address the match in an interview.

Advertisement