Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 World Snooker Championship (Mod Note Post One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Standard was absolutely stunning in that first session. Hopefully tonight we’ll get a few tactical frames though, flawless break building does get a bit boring if there aren’t any tight frames to ramp up the tension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Are there nine frames in this evening's session?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Are there nine frames in this evening's session?

Yes, they changed it from 8,8,8,11 to 8,9,8,10 a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Interesting to see who gets the overnight lead, probably Trump after finishing the opening session well, though you couldn't fault Higgins either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭This is it

Kicking off at 7 I assume?

• Advertisement

This is it wrote: »
    Kicking off at 7 I assume?

Yes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I agree 100% with this. Is it because the way snooker is taught has become more sanitised, or is is because of some of the stereotypes about the millennial generation are true? Or a bit of both?
    Or is it just that the generation of O'Sullivan, John Higgins and Williams was a freak one off generation?

Sorry, only seeing your post now so didnt respond earlier. Think there is some grain of truth in all those points you raise. Bear in mind players play the vast majority of their matches as professionals over best of 7 these days, so i believe it's becoming something of a culture shock to them to play these high pressure matches over best of 19, 25 or more.

That so called class of 92 was/is something else indeed. I kind of make a comparison with the Ireland underage teams under Brian Kerr that won those great trophies in the sense that those players were all inspired by the Italia 90/US 94 odysseys in a similar way Higgins, Williams, Ronnie, Doherty et al were inspired by the 80s decade of Alex, Jimmy, Davis when snooker was absolutely flying. In both cases, the momentum was never carried on so, yes, I'd definitely agree that the 92 generation was a bit of a one off in many ways.

Who wins this session then? Overnight lead might be crucial

Higgins was cueing really well earlier, best he has done all tournament, far too soon in the game to be seen in any sense ominous for trump, but it's just one early warning sign. I'd want a lead if i was trump, but 8-9 either way would set it up nicely for tomorrow. If higgins can get a lead, then keep it tight tomorrow, could make it very difficult for trump to maintain his composure i fear. Fascinating contest.

That's a first for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Dreadful miss by Trump on the green. The opening red was x20 harder.

125 break by Higgins and he leads 5-4. Five centuries in nine frames so far.

What a shot from behind the yellow by Trump

Another poor miss by Trump on the black. He had a warning on the previous black.

Edit: Both players then had a couple of howlers on the red into the same pocket.

A string of inexplicable potting errors there by both players.

Horrendous.

He'd stuck the whole frame up there if he hadn't somehow got it safe.

No excuses for some of these misses by Trump.

Edit: Bizarre! Misses the easy shots, then belts in an unbelievable long red.

So poor

Then he goes and does that :)

• Advertisement

One extreme to the other, unreal pot and serious action on the white. Wow

6-5 Trump. Unbelievable break from Trump. Littered with amazing shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Behind the back. Love it.

Cant help himself with the exhibition stuff, not sure about it but maybe no harm. Higgins starting to miss a few though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

What a final, come on judd snooker needs a new leading man

Highest standard final I can remember so far anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

eric hoone wrote: »
    Highest standard final I can remember so far anyway

Engrossing stuff, better than any of that auld Game of Thrones/Avengers guff any-day.
    These lads are the real warriors and superheroes.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

First tight frame for a while, feels like a big one. Higgins could definitely do with it, just a few signs he's beginning to feel the effects of 2 hard matches coming into this.

Higgins missed some pots in that frame by miles. Also, earlier in the frame John had a decent chance to go for a red into the middle or corner pocket but turned it down. 7-5 Trump. Mid session interval now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Missed the first ten frames, did I put a hex on this match?

Advertisement