Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 World Snooker Championship (Mod Note Post One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I don't begrudge Higgins the win as he earned it but have to feel for Gilbert. Could have won it with a bit more luck and temperament. Hopefully he'll stay at this level and challenge again in the big tournaments.

What a semi final. Wouldn't have had that in a shorter game!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Well at least that’s one big name in the final. Hopefully Trump can do the business soon and make it interesting. I don’t fancy Gary Wilson in a world final up against a battler like Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

One of the all-time Crucible classics that match.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Damn I was hoping Gilbert would win! I'll be shouting for Trump if he gets through to the final

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

Get in there Higgins!!! Backed him at 18/1 during the week so will enjoy the final now whatever the result. Balls of steel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,186 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Gilbert will learn from that.

That was all about temperament, which he just doesn't have yet.

No sympathy. He has to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I'll be up for Trump/Wilson in the final. If Higgins wins it will be a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I’m not a big fan of Rob Walker, but he’s gone down a notch with this interview with Gilbert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Damn I was hoping Gilbert would win! I'll be shouting for Trump if he gets through to the final

Can't stomach the thought of Trump holding the world championship trophy so I'll be a Higgins supporter if Trump wins tonight. If Wilson wins, I'd have to root for him.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Best semi final since Bingham Trump a few years ago, feel for Gilbert, but Higgins is showed his greatness there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That wasn't sport, it was pure drama.
    The anguished looks of the families, the tears in the eyes of both players post match.
    Sure where else would ya get it?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Disgusted for Gilbo.

Come on Trump or Wilson.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I’m not a big fan of Rob Walker, but he’s gone down a notch with this interview with Gilbert

What was said?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭waynescales1

The tears flowing from both players in their interviews, both very emotional.

mdwexford wrote: »
    What was said?

I don't think he said anything wrong. He was putting Gilbert's SF in context saying 'This time 10 years ago you were kipping on a mate's sofa, missed out on Q school' - He finished saying are you off to Ibiza now? 'Gilbert said -'Yeah one hell of a party, as if I won it, sod it'

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Best match I've seen in a long time. We'll done Higgins.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I’ve a feeling this could be a quick session this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Give the table a kick there Dave, that red will be sure to drop:P

Oddly enough I was checking the rule on this yesterday, any ball which drops in without being struck has to be replaced as close as possible to where it was - even a red!

sligeach wrote: »
    Curse BBC and their $h1t€ coverage. BBC 2 Northern Ireland showed their crappy muck football final and now there's some crap about street bowls. The snooker doesn't get any look-in this evening until the Trump/Wilson match resumes.

Get a satellite dish and then you have your pick of BBC regions, no need to put up with Norn Iron schedule-mangling any more. On a Freesat box you can record the red button channel :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Trump lucky to win that frame

Unlucky mistake by Wilson. Can't see Judd not winning now from 5 up and needing 2 although stranger things have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It always seems there is one semi-final that close and the other is over early, looks like that trend is continuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Trump banging them in... he means business now

Edit... jaysis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭Ardent

That missed yellow by Trump, FFS. Indicative of the decline in the standard of the game in recent years.

Dave Hendon is on the double shift tonight, after commentating on that epic earlier, fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Wilson looks super relaxed tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Ronnie out of commentary box already, he's not great to listen to anyway. Much rather he was playing

Ardent wrote: »
    That missed yellow by Trump, FFS. Indicative of the decline in the standard of the game in recent years.

You missed the last session of Higgins Gilbert then?

Why do they on about Trump's cue power so often as if it is always a great thing?

1) If he has to use his cue power that could mean a poor positional shot with the previous ball?

2) He cannot seem to control his 'cue power' at times.

He seems like an 'Alex Higgins lite' (with slightly better positional play) having to play crazy shots to keep breaks going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭Ardent

You missed the last session of Higgins Gilbert then?

Admittedly I'm a casual observer of the world championship these days.

Back in the day - Steve Davis, Stephen Hendry, Jimmy White even - you had one visit to the table. If you screwed up, sayonara. From what I've seen in this tournament so far, you can expect 3 or 4 visits to the table!

• Advertisement

Bit of showboating... I'll take that :)

Advertisement