Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,059 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Several teasels have introduced themselves onto a very inhospitable bank of no soil beyond sandy shale, and in complete shade from the house. I am waiting with some eagerness to be sure that's what they are (I'm pretty sure, the leaves are exactly right and they do the water-pool thing which is very intriguing) and I will add them to the fairly blank area on the bio map.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Anyone help with IDing this - I originally thought it was Poa Trivialis, but now I'm not so sure. It has rolled vernation so I'm wondering if it is creeping bent grass?

IMG-8878.jpg

For Poa triv I always look at the ligule - this is the small membranous flap on the stem where a leaf breaks away from it. Long, up to nearly a centimetre for this species. I would have no difficulty in the field distinguishing these, but pictures of grasses are a pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 PeadarOBriain

Don’t have a name for them but while driving to Morocco from Ireland I found them all along Spain and Portugal’s beaches. They also come in a yellow flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

This tree/shrub/climber please?
    Photographed in local supermarket car park.
    Photos are poor...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Crateagus probably Paul's scarlet. a pink flowering version of hawthorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Fantastic. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Popular tree with yellow hanging flower, id please

554316.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭macraignil

I don't think it is a poplar tree. Is it a laburnum?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Oh come on, don't people even know the basics? - Sorry :o

How can anyone fail to know what a laburnum looks like - I make the comment in view of the fact that the seeds are poisonous and every few years there's a scare about kids eating them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3203411/The-Duke-Duchess-Cambridge-warned-not-let-Prince-George-play-poisonous-laburnum-tree-gardens-Anmer-Hall.html

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Oh come on, don't people even know the basics? - Sorry :o

How can anyone fail to know what a laburnum looks like - I make the comment in view of the fact that the seeds are poisonous and every few years there's a scare about kids eating them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3203411/The-Duke-Duchess-Cambridge-warned-not-let-Prince-George-play-poisonous-laburnum-tree-gardens-Anmer-Hall.html

Well I didn't know so hence the question :rolleyes:. But I do now, thanks for reply.
    Always a smart alec knocking around these forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭standardg60

Well I didn't know so hence the question :rolleyes:. But I do now, thanks for reply.
    Always a smart alec knocking around these forums.

Sometimes we professionals forget that what are the basics to us are a complete mystery to a lot of people.
    Steam might be let off every now and again, OP didn't mean any harm, don't take it personally, bear in mind that without us a lot of questions would go unanswered ,including yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,059 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had a 'gardener' offer to do work for me - he was touring the estate looking for business while I happened to be in the front garden. I established very quickly that he could not identify any of the shrubs in the garden, including a flowering current, a magnolia and a holly, so I declined his services :D

Edit: Currant :D

looksee wrote: »
    I had a 'gardener' offer to do work for me - he was touring the estate looking for business while I happened to be in the front garden. I established very quickly that he could not identify any of the shrubs in the garden, including a flowering current, a magnolia and a holly, so I declined his services :D

Ah but sure he would have done a good job missus, dem plants were dangerous and needed cutting right back to the ground to keep dem under control!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,442 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

looksee wrote: »

I was just finished a day in the garden and had it looking (to us anyway) in pristine order when a guy called offering to tidy the garden , mow, cut hedges etc.

He was lucky I didn't swing for him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I was just finished a day in the garden and had it looking (to us anyway) in preteen order when a guy called offering to tidy the garden , mow, cut hedges etc.

He was lucky I didn't swing for him.

I hope that's autocorrect. :D

New Home wrote: »

Lol it's Friday evening, might be an apt description:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

found this in my veg patch is it a herb of some kind??

leaf2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

does it smell like one?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could be basil, could be a clarkia, etc.

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »

:D Sure was!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

fryup wrote: »
    found this in my veg patch is it a herb of some kind??

leaf2.jpg

Marjoram maybe. It would smell Herby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭tc20

Good evening folks,
    would any of ye learned green fingered lads and lassies be able to tell me what this is?

554670.jpg

554671.jpg

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭MacDanger

An ash sapling?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

MacDanger wrote: »
    An ash sapling?

100%

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭seamusmacc

Hi all, found this in one of the pots that we have sweetpeas, wonder it's some kind of weeds?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Looks like a little maple seedling on the left of the second pic. The other looks like a weed alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭tc20

MacDanger wrote: »
    An ash sapling?

thanks!
    I think I will lift it and move it out to a better spot, its in a rather narrow flower bed at present.

tc20 wrote: »
    thanks!
    I think I will lift it and move it out to a better spot, its in a rather narrow flower bed at present.

Around here they are a pest. I pull up at least 50 seedlings every year. If you're keeping it make sure you have enough room. 5 Mt high after 10 years and eventually 30 Mt. It'll have a spread of at least 12 Mt and shed seeds everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Looks like a little maple seedling on the left of the second pic. The other looks like a weed alright
    That weed is a right pest!! When it goes to seed, the slightest touch and the seed heads pop and the seeds fly everywhere!

Advertisement