Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭standardg60

seamusmacc wrote: »
    Hi all, found this in one of the pots that we have sweetpeas, wonder it's some kind of weeds?

Thanks!

Two weeds there, certainly bitter cress at the top of the circle and possibly annual mercury at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Granite Head

I'm afraid this plant looks to be dying - but I would like to replace it if I could identify it.

Can't remember the colour of the flower. The tip of the leaves are purple/red and the stems are quite course / woody like bracken.

TIA

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Sprints, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine, Therapy, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 28,056 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is it a Hebe? They tend to have a shortish lifespan - maybe 5 or 6 years before they either get sad or overgrown.

looksee wrote: »
    Is it a Hebe? They tend to have a shortish lifespan - maybe 5 or 6 years before they either get sad or overgrown.

Thanks - its about three years old. Managed to find a picture of it in flower year 1

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Sprints, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine, Therapy, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Amble

A quick google search it looks like Polygala chamaebuxus 'Grandiflora'

Anyone know why this would fail?

TIA

• Advertisement

No that's not a Hebe - I think its this https://www.xtchooks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=412791 . I had to google it, never seen one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Do you have acid soil? If not I don't think it will be long lived.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Ah you got there before me! Its apparently ericaceous which is the most likely reason for failing - it needs acid soil similar to rhododendrons. It also prefers moist shade so I'd say it was simply wrong conditions.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

This might help:

https://www.shootgardening.co.uk/plant/polygala-chamaebuxus-var-grandiflora
    Where to grow
    Polygala chamaebuxus var. grandiflora (Large-flowered box-leaved milkwort) will reach a height of 0.15m and a spread of 0.3m after 5-10 years.

Suggested uses
    Conservatory, Containers, Drought Tolerant, Gravel, Low Maintenance, Mediterranean, Rock

Cultivation
    Grow in humus-rich, moderately fertile, sharply-drained soil in sun or partial shade. Water regularly in dry periods. Prefers cool, moist sites. in dapple shade. Does not perform well in hot, humid summers.

Soil type
    Chalky, Loamy, Sandy

Soil drainage
    Well-drained

Soil pH
    Acid, Alkaline, Neutral

Light
    Partial Shade, Full Sun

Aspect
    South, East, West

Exposure
    Sheltered

Thanks All - wrong soil and wrong position. It valiantly took two years to fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭purplesnack

Hi everyone.
    Can anyone help me identify this plant? It started growing in my glasshouse and was very different to any weed I have in the garden to I potted it so see what would become of it. None of the searches I've done have yielded anything so I'm hoping someone here would know what it is.
    Thanks!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/73461151@N06/51225010709/in/dateposted-public/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/73461151@N06/51224244211/in/dateposted-public/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/73461151@N06/51225012744/in/dateposted-public/

I've looked and Caryophyllaceae which include Silenes- campions which is what I was thinking.

The leaves reminded me of Ceranthe but obviously not from the flowers.

Edit> After much looking I going with Silene armeria - Moss Campion

Good picture of the flower to compare with https://www.flickr.com/photos/87453322@N00/29344142953

Also http://www.newhampshirewildflowers.com/catchfly-sweet-william.php

Moss Campion is a low cushion forming plant, so I don't think so. Maybe Soapwort? That can be a weedy species, and is variable enough. Perhaps some other similar Sweet William type seed came in with other seed.

Moss Campion is a low cushion forming plant, so I don't think so. Maybe Soapwort? That can be a weedy species, and is variable enough. Perhaps some other similar Sweet William type seed came in with other seed.

Moss campion is just one name I found for it. I'd fairly confident its Silene armeria perhaps a better common name is Sweet William catchfly.

Another example - this time a variety that has that blue hue to the leaves that are also in purplesnack pictures https://www.specialplants.net/shop/seeds/silene_armeria_electra/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Hi all, large weed popped up the last few days. Hope it’s not wild parsnip. Hard to see from the pictures but it’s almost as tall as me…. It’s around 5ft

Anyone know what it is?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Rapeseed?

Or Wild Turnip, Brassica rapa.

If there are buds overtopping the topmost flowers it's B napa, Rape; buds slightly lower or level, Turnip.

B. rapa is much the commoner in the west, both found often in east, both weeds of disturbance.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Bràiste^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Or Wild Turnip, Brassica rapa.

If there are buds overtopping the topmost flowers it's B napa, Rape; buds slightly lower or level, Turnip.

B. rapa is much the commoner in the west, both found often in east, both weeds of disturbance.

Can you explain weeds of disturbance please? I had a weed very like this take over a geodome. I think it was a wild mustard. I got some help IDing it on a Facebook page page but couldn't get it 100% right. The leaves were a bit different to this one. It keeps coming up again and again after weeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭purplesnack

Moss campion is just one name I found for it. I'd fairly confident its Silene armeria perhaps a better common name is Sweet William catchfly.

Another example - this time a variety that has that blue hue to the leaves that are also in purplesnack pictures https://www.specialplants.net/shop/seeds/silene_armeria_electra/

Thanks a million - I hadn't a hope of figuring that out on my own! It does look like Sweet William Catchfly. I wonder how it got there. My glasshouse only went up last September and I hadn't sown anything in there when this first appeared. I see it's native to Europe but is it native to Ireland?

• Advertisement

Don't think its native but you can see where its been reported growing in Ireland here . Good number of reports between Dingle Bay and Bantry Bay - zoom in on the bottom map and you should see some triangles that indicate sightings.

happyday wrote: »
    Can you explain weeds of disturbance please? I had a weed very like this take over a geodome. I think it was a wild mustard. I got some help IDing it on a Facebook page page but couldn't get it 100% right. The leaves were a bit different to this one. It keeps coming up again and again after weeding.

These are plants, annuals, usually with short lifecycles. Their seeds will persist in soil until brought close to the surface by, for example, weeding or digging, some form of disturbance. They grow rapidly, flower and set abundant seed before other plants species can become established. Although they will inevitably be crowded out by these other plants, the seedbank persists. Several of these are yellow flowered crucifers, the most common of which are Charlock (Sinapis arvensis), Rape, Wild Turnip and Wintercresses (Barbarea sp.).

Don't think its native but you can see where its been reported growing in Ireland here . Good number of reports between Dingle Bay and Bantry Bay - zoom in on the bottom map and you should see some triangles that indicate sightings.

I think those triangles refer to peaks or some feature of the terrain. I had a look at a database, it's not common in the wild, one or two records from Ireland. But it does look the most like the species in the photo.

I think those triangles refer to peaks or some feature of the terrain. I had a look at a database, it's not common in the wild, one or two records from Ireland. But it does look the most like the species in the photo.

Yeah was winging it a bit checking that map. Must check out some others to see exactly what indicates a report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

These are plants, annuals, usually with short lifecycles. Their seeds will persist in soil until brought close to the surface by, for example, weeding or digging, some form of disturbance. They grow rapidly, flower and set abundant seed before other plants species can become established. Although they will inevitably be crowded out by these other plants, the seedbank persists. Several of these are yellow flowered crucifers, the most common of which are Charlock (Sinapis arvensis), Rape, Wild Turnip and Wintercresses (Barbarea sp.).

Thanks for that Blaris. It sounds like it will be very hard to get rid of. It's a school geodome so it will be left to it's own devices for July and August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭wildwillow

If you hoe or pull them out before they set seed they will not reappear.

Hope someone can keep some control over it during the summer.

wildwillow wrote: »
    If you hoe or pull them out before they set seed they will not reappear.

Hope someone can keep some control over it during the summer.

Not recommended in a greenhouse or geodome but I find they go over with the slightest whiff of 2,4D.

An area here was taken over by them about 4 years ago. Not an issue until they start to die off and rot then you know you they are brassicas.

Hopefully someone can identify this plant.

Thriving this year, hadn't really noticed it previously.

TIA
    GH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Initially thought of an astilbe but it seems too tall - is it climbing along a frame or wall behind it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭weshtawake

I hope its OK to ask this question here. I have "inherited" a large garden and it seems to have been overrun with weeds the last couple of weeks. Could someone recommend a good spray or whatever (has to be dog friendly!) to rid myself of them?

Ta

Advertisement