Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else starting to become a bit excited?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    In the last 8 years of following this the two strangest things for me have to be the 40% drop last March

Well everything went to s**t that time. Nothing strange about Covid. Wish I'd been paying more attention back then.
    This is because you've had all upside and no downside. the bottom could drop out of this whole thing. we are always just a few days away from a full on bear market

That's what stop losses are for! I'm going to have the stingiest, meanest stop losses you've ever seen. These gains are mine and nonbody is taking them! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

Yeah, putting these "3 and a half year waves" aside, crypto always does something unexpected, even this bull run is quite different from the others

There could be a sharp dip into bear, we could have a slow bear (mirroring this bull) we could stay even and then have a 2017 style insanity run followed by god knows what, I really have no idea

In the last 8 years of following this the two strangest things for me have to be the 40% drop last March and the strength and duration of this bull run.

How early this bull run started as well was really surprising, we skirted around $10k for months after recovering from last March and by Oct/Nov were decisively over $15k. Sentiment was still generally pessimistic after 2019, when it crashed from $11/12k, but then we were at $20k around December and wondering if we'd finally go past the 2018 ATH, and it's been basically upwards since then. But I definitely remember so many people speculating at $15k that we 'definitely' wouldn't get near or pass $20k until Feb/Mar, and look how that went, it's nuts. Personally, last year I didn't expect much at all until Mar/Apr, so even though I knew a bull run was coming, the timing completely blindsided me

No 2 cycles are the same as they say, always some surprises

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Chase a shít coin pump, and go to sleep worrying if it will dump and leave you holding a heavy bag when you wake up.

Not if you've sold it at 20x

Sitting with it in your bag forever isn't the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

ETH setting ATH while BTC is down? Never seen that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

Graham wrote: »
    Not if you've sold it at 20x

Sitting with it in your bag forever isn't the only option.

Im about to meet up with a Buddy here who I told NOT in invest in DOGE at 8c.
    He was full of Elon this and Elon that, and how it's only 8c and Bitcoin is at like 50K. Totally no idea what he was doing, just came for advice

I tried my best. DON'T FOMO in.

He was brand new to crypto. Totally in over his head.

Bought 10K at that price and sold at 38C. Brand new Kitchen for him

So yeah. It's a wild game.

• Advertisement

flexcon wrote: »
    He was full of Elon this and Elon that, and how it's only 8c and Bitcoin is at like 50K. Totally no idea what he was doing, just came for advice

So he did the right thing in the end, he was lucky.

But don't forget you did as well. Nothing wrong with looking out for friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

This is basically the reason I don't tell any of my friends I do anything related to crypto at all. I've been lucky and am up 500% in total with all my investments since March 2020 (only small amounts, not even amounting to 5k in total). I'd be afraid they'd come asking me for advice when the reality of the matter is I just lucked into it by starting at a good time rather than studying it all and knowing what I was doing.

But hey, it worked out for your friend in the end. Nobody can accurately predict what's going to happen with all the coins out there.

Also make sure he knows that he'll owe 33% of his profits to CGT near the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭antimatterx

With CGT, why is it that you pay this year, but file it next year? Would it not make sense to file and pay together.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Jafin wrote: »
    This is basically the reason I don't tell any of my friends I do anything related to crypto at all. I've been lucky and am up 500% in total with all my investments since March 2020 (only small amounts, not even amounting to 5k in total). I'd be afraid they'd come asking me for advice when the reality of the matter is I just lucked into it by starting at a good time rather than studying it all and knowing what I was doing.

But hey, it worked out for your friend in the end. Nobody can accurately predict what's going to happen with all the coins out there.

Also make sure he knows that he'll owe 33% of his profits to CGT near the end of the year.

Bit like the saying "Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward", nobody can really appreciate all these lessons until they have been through it and seen theirown money bleed away, for me at the end of the day its simply about controlling my investing habits, I've been very lucky to be part of this whole crypto bull run, my entry timing was purely down to luck, I also don't tell too many people, unless they are already in the space, and most pure novice's who say anything to me I'm fairly cautious, certainly since Jan when the risk of like a 30 or 50% immediate pullback is alot higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

If he listened to you, there would be resentment towards you; there are plenty of stories of similar happening to lads on reddit. It's really best to not make strong arguments for or against what investments people make with their money, even if they're close friends. Your intentions are of course good, but honestly hands off is the best approach. If they ask for your opinion, give it of course, but do it in a "if it was MY money, what I would do is" way, but ultimately lead it back to it being their decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

Nice lil green day today, lost a fair bit of profit in the last week but decent recovery now.

Anyone who stayed patient and bought dips will be laughing all the way to the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Jeff2

weemcd wrote: »
    Nice lil green day today, lost a fair bit of profit in the last week but decent recovery now.

Anyone who stayed patient and bought dips will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Good dip coming now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Theman343

Serious dip now I wonder are any of you guys buying ? If so what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Theman343 wrote: »

I’ve no fresh FIAT landing until Monday earliest. A dip to 48k region be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Theman343 wrote: »

I think there is more to go yet imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Watch out lads, Biden and Yellen have knee-capped the stock market and are coming for your crypto next. Apparently proof of stake puts an even bigger hole in the ozone layer than proof of work somehow. I can only see cryppling new tax laws in the pipeline as the solution... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Good dip coming now too.

Don't like what's happening at the moment. Feels like this Doge rubbish has really unsettled the progress of the last few months.
    Elon and Twitter users like Angelo with huge following are driving money away from bitcoin.

God damn it. Of course the second I buy back in on the dips it keeps dipping. Didn't hear anything about this tax FUD until it was too late. Oh well. I'll be sleeping with some stop losses on tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Good dip coming now too.

Just wiped out what was turning into a nice little day of gainz. Typical.

You'd have to be keeping an eye on things it so volatile.

I can see a dump tomorrow night as well because of last weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

Have a grand in binance account and Thinking of buying btc but volatility is making me think twice. Eth looks a bit better but who knows what’s gonna happen tomorrow ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thats just a bullsh1t bear trap off the back of FUD from Bidens excellent suggestion to tax the ultra-rich, great resilience being shown by ETH aswell, we are going to see some fireworks this Summer.

Crypto gonna be the least of Biden's worries after he kneecapped the stock market today. Gonna be some ANGRY phone calls in Washington tomorrow.

Looks like it hit the bottom and might move up some but the weekend will be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Daithi40

cnocbui wrote: »
    IT, blah, blah - and then you have this: http://www.southernmachinery.ie/

:D

garbage script link for me

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Daithi40

if you had 5k to spend on crypto, where do we go next? btc and maybe especially eth orrrrrrrr tfuel, theta, pancakeswap, monero, ltc, xrp, reef, Rose, link, dot etc what's the moonshot for the next 6 months folks?

Personally, I'm hot for link and DOT right now but have all of the above and a few more....

decisions decisions....

love all you guys btw, especially the argumentative ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jackben75

Daithi40 wrote: »
    if you had 5k to spend on crypto, where do we go next? btc and maybe especially eth orrrrrrrr tfuel, theta, pancakeswap, monero, ltc, xrp, reef, Rose, link, dot etc what's the moonshot for the next 6 months folks?

Personally, I'm hot for link and DOT right now but have all of the above and a few more....

decisions decisions....

love all you guys btw, especially the argumentative ones :)

All over DOT myself, will be huge in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Watch out lads, Biden and Yellen have knee-capped the stock market and are coming for your crypto next. Apparently proof of stake puts an even bigger hole in the ozone layer than proof of work somehow. I can only see cryppling new tax laws in the pipeline as the solution... :rolleyes:

The issues with the US stock market are far, far broader than the dip coincidental with the Biden announcement.
    The DTCC is approaching a crisis with regards it's deposited securities being used as a fractional reserve and contributing to naked shorting that is approaching a reckoning.
    The current dark pool and naked shorting issues are quite ironically IMO are perfect use case for immutable Blockchain tech.

There is worse to come in US stocks and the recent rush by banks there to raise cash and close locations are a pointer IMO.
    Some great academic work on this is.
    The book "Naked, Short and Greedy" by Wall Street whistleblower **Dr. Susanne Trimbath** https://spiramus.com/naked-short-and-greedy and the paper "The Rise and Effects of the Indirect Holding System" by law professor **David C. Donald** https://www.ilf-frankfurt.de/fileadmin/\_migrated/content\_uploads/ILF\_WP\_068.pdf

These 2 works are the basis for a somewhat out there, but quite compelling DD over on Reddit by u/atobitt that makes for some great reading.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Superstonk/comments/mvk5dv/a_house_of_cards_part_1/

This isn't just about climate change and GME/AMC, a systemic vulnerability at the core of the market has been exposed and could well lead a compounding of any crash on the back of lockdowns and taxes.

The cash raises by banks, the already completed margin calls and those funds on the cusp of it.
    The really strange price action across the markets over the last few weeks and the rush of money from crypto back to cash and precious metals all point towards people getting ready to go to the mattresses and weather something of a crash IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭BrandonBay86

I’ve no fresh FIAT landing until Monday earliest. A dip to 48k region be welcome.

Be careful what you wish for!

• Advertisement

Bull run over imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement