Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

If we are able to operate social distancing in food shops why can we do the same in other shops? Surely now that they have 3 weeks they should be announcing the requirements for shops to be allowed to reopen to allow them the opportunity to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

If we are able to operate social distancing in food shops why can we do the same in other shops? Surely now that they have 3 weeks they should be announcing the requirements for shops to be allowed to reopen to allow them the opportunity to prepare.

From what I see in the supermarkets there is a still a lot of people not adhering or understanding the social distancing rules.

Food is a necessity and its costing the supermarkets a lot of money to stay open so I don't think its a good idea for non-essential stores to open yet and they couldn't afford the strict controls required, people will let their guard down even more so then they already have the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Food is a necessity and its costing the supermarkets a lot of money to stay open

How exactly? A few bits of sanitiser and some tissue couldn't cost that much surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Opening other shops would cause an awful lot more people movement & that is not good right now.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

JCX BXC wrote: »
    How exactly? A few bits of sanitiser and some tissue couldn't cost that much surely?

Additional staff, extra signage, reduced flow of cash through the tills per hour, extra clean downs and sanitisation from the cleaning contractors, additional security staff, additional delivery costs due to increased ferry costs, the list goes on.

Tesco think it'll hit them for 925 million. There are lots of costs we don't see. And yes I know they are selling more but doesn't offset the additional costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Additional staff, extra signage, reduced flow of cash through the tills per hour, extra clean downs and sanitisation from the cleaning contractors, additional security staff, additional delivery costs due to increased ferry costs, the list goes on.

Tesco think it'll hit them for 925 million. There are lots of costs we don't see. And yes I know they are selling more but doesn't offset the additional costs.

You are misquoting them

They went onto say

the supermarket group said on Wednesday that if customer behaviour returned to normal by August, it was likely the extra expenses – mainly related to staff and operations costs – would be offset by higher sales and relief from a business tax introduced to help companies.

and

Grocery sales reached €2.8 billion over the course of the 12 week period, €250 million up on the same period last year and exceeding the previous peak seen at Christmas.

Tesco grew sales by just more than 10 per cent, and now has a 21.3 per cent share of the grocery sector.

There are a lot of businesses struggling and closed but supermarkets are absolutely cleaning up at the moment, its going to be an absolute bumper year. The amount of extra drink alone they are selling would cover any additional costs due to increased hygiene etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭1perriwinkle

Monsoon has got notices in their window about being closed for COVID however the shop inside it completely empty - stock, fixtures and fittings all gone. I don't know if they are closing down, has any one heard? Maybe they plan to refurbish before they reopen...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Monsoon has got notices in their window about being closed for COVID however the shop inside it completely empty - stock, fixtures and fittings all gone. I don't know if they are closing down, has any one heard? Maybe they plan to refurbish before they reopen...

I'd be very confident that they're gone, the left hand side of the shop was a perma sale and no retailer is going to remove all stock from a store and then restock it all again no matter how long the closure is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Also noticed the trespass shop on eglington totally empty and 70% off everything. Another place like monsoon always on sale but unusual to be cleared too. Anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

After 4 months of reviewing the plans along with 2 years of engagement with the council it looks like the council have sought further info on the Massive Train station development Augustine Hill https://geo.galwaycity.ie/ePlan5/AppFileRefDetails/2047/0

I would think given whats been going on in 2020 so far this is exactly the kind of thing we should be progressing to kick start the recovery (appreciate that good planning of course be put to the forefront but this is definitely a game changer for the region and city) no doubt when the council finally agree this will be brought to Board Pleanala so perhaps its not a bad thing the planners are making sure everything is checked here.. IMO this is certainly one of the most exciting developments for Galway and will level the playing field on the retail front big time to stop the drain to Athlone and Limerick

Jammyd wrote: »
    After 4 months of reviewing the plans along with 2 years of engagement with the council it looks like the council have sought further info on the Massive Train station development Augustine Hill https://geo.galwaycity.ie/ePlan5/AppFileRefDetails/2047/0

I would think given whats been going on in 2020 so far this is exactly the kind of thing we should be progressing to kick start the recovery (appreciate that good planning of course be put to the forefront but this is definitely a game changer for the region and city) no doubt when the council finally agree this will be brought to Board Pleanala so perhaps its not a bad thing the planners are making sure everything is checked here.. IMO this is certainly one of the most exciting developments for Galway and will level the playing field on the retail front big time to stop the drain to Athlone and Limerick

Between that, Bonham Quay and the new shopping center by the Comers (if they ever start on it), the center of Galway could be brought on a lot.

Will Joyces mouthpiece, RGData, social distance this one or sneeze all over it, answer expected within a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

I thought they'd be able to weather the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I'd be very confident that they're gone, the left hand side of the shop was a perma sale and no retailer is going to remove all stock from a store and then restock it all again no matter how long the closure is.

They might if they want to internally change the store layout to better support social distancing.

But while they have annouced several store closures in ireland last week, Galway was not on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They might if they want to internally change the store layout to better support social distancing.

But while they have annouced several store closures in ireland last week, Galway was not on the list.

There was a media article about them somewhere, they're in negotiations with landlords before deciding what other stores close.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Another gym for Knocknacara.
    Did Warehouse open out there yet?
    https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/approval-granted-for-new-gym-in-knocknacarra/

Laviski wrote: »
    that credit union in galway shopping center closed and for a long time too as place is completely gutted.

Seems to be a bicycle shop in part of the unit.

Any word on the shops in gateway knocknacarra opening? Harvey , boots, carraig Donn, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

flazio wrote:
    Another gym for Knocknacara. Did Warehouse open out there yet?

No.. The unit is idle for a long time. The last gym in there did not last long

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Any word on the shops in gateway knocknacarra opening? Harvey , boots, carraig Donn, etc

All quiet still. Walk the dogs by there most days and looks like they are still fitting the units...obviously covid pushed everything back

Light's on in Boots and Harvey Normal the other evening, not sure if anyone working inside.

Some recept progress on markings in car park etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Light's on in Boots and Harvey Normal the other evening, not sure if anyone working inside.

Some recept progress on markings in car park etc.

Some kind of gathering of work person types in Boots after lunch yes,
    crews working in HN, from what I could see through the door they are working on the internals, but no paint or shelving visible.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Is decathlon going in there?

They have never been listed as going into this centre, and i am not sure if any of the units would be of a size that would interest them.

They have never been listed as going into this centre, and i am not sure if any of the units would be of a size that would interest them.

Whatever about the shops opening it would be great if they finished the car park and removed the boarding at the front, been an eye sore for sometime now.

Will be great then when the other shops open and Camilie Thai is listed as a restaurant which will be a nice local option for takeaway.

No they're not.

No they're not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

Seems to be a bicycle shop in part of the unit.

That's An Mheitheal Rothar's pop up shop/workshop.

Advertisement