Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,641 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

And thankfully it doesn’t happen here which is why I post here but in other parts of the wrestling internet when you say old school fundamentals, it nearly always is taken as meaning old school wrestling and all the unsavoury things that come with it. The revival are a perfect example of how to blend old school wrestling but through a modern lens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    And thankfully it doesn’t happen here which is why I post here but in other parts of the wrestling internet when you say old school fundamentals, it nearly always is taken as meaning old school wrestling and all the unsavoury things that come with it. The revival are a perfect example of how to blend old school wrestling but through a modern lens.

Doesn't even have to be old old school. Though I don't really have a big thing for the revival, their mantra of no flips just fists was excellent. I loathe the dive over the top rope now. Mainly because I'm conditioned by wwe to expect an ad break, but also because it is everything that is numbing about the current product. Wrestling should have, you know, wrestling at its core, not a jumps and strikes that are swatted away after 5mins....imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Vader would of been awesome in ECW.

Apparently he held discussion after leaving WCW for a few dates, but Heyman wanted him to lose to Taz. Probably like a Bam Bam situation. Would of been awesome.

Also just flund out Bam Bam and Vader teamed in Japan. Im gonna seek out some of those matches

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭ThePott

Random thought, if The Shield had debuted with the names T-Bar, Slapjack and Mace.
    How would they have fared? The same or worse?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

ThePott wrote: »
    Random thought, if The Shield had debuted with the names T-Bar, Slapjack and Mace.
    How would they have fared? The same or worse?

They would have tanked. Could you imagine if Reigns was called T-Bar. T-Bar with the spear.

Puuuuuuuke.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    They would have tanked. Could you imagine if Reigns was called T-Bar. T-Bar with the spear.

Puuuuuuuke.

I konda like it, harpens back to the good old days where guys are called Hawk, Animal, Ultinate Warriot, Sgt Slaughter, Axe and Smash.

I know we are in a reality era but a double name thats inevitably shortened down doesnt always have to be the go to thing. I cant really remember the last guy WWE gave a "nickname" to, besides richochet who allready had that name.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

When this whole Retribution thing runs its course, which looks like it won't be long, it'll be a weird name when not wearing the mask. Not saying it's an okay name now, but Slapjack sounds like a jobber name for anyone without a mask.
    Now I wonder what the women's names will be, when we obviously know their real names.

It wouldn't be so bad if NXT was still a network exclusive,but it airs 2 nights after Raw on the same channel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭ThePott

I do agree it definitely calls back to old-school wrestling, especially from the 80s.
    Yeah, think the Shield would have been roundly mocked with those names as an aside.

It is incredibly odd, especially considering how recognisable some of the people are. I did like the idea that these would be almost nicknames so like Shane "Slapjack" Thorne, or Slapjack Shane Thorne. Even if it does make them sound corny and like jobbers. I think it's the closest you can come to saving them. The handling of this angle in general has been so strange.

We need names like Barron Blade and Buzz!

I just recently got ps now that allows 2k19 to be downloaded....

All though cheesy the video game writing storyline is much better then anything in recemt years

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Sirsok wrote: »
    We need names like Barron Blade and Buzz!

I just recently got ps now that allows 2k19 to be downloaded....

All though cheesy the video game writing storyline is much better then anything in recemt years

Buzz is a legend and I won't hear of anything else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Angle itself was a half baked idea, produced to generate ratings in the short term. It was an idea that was maybe 20 percent complete when it was announced.

The execution has been poor every step.

Announcing the debut of the group before they even showed up. A ratings grab that wasnt thought through.

Not knowing who were in the group initially.

The nonsensical attacks. How did they keep getting in.

So they attack repeatedly. Then they get hired randomly.

They get hired to contracts, despite their rationale for attacking is greed. Makes no sense.

The names.... the masks.... the promos. Garbage.

Having a heel team take them on. No sense.

So all in all, they have been a distaster. I cant see this faction lasting. If it does, its out if stubborness rather than the angke being good for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭Riddle101

When I saw Hurt Business come out to confront them last week I just thought how crap Retributuion looked in comparison. They should push Hurt Business as the dominant stable instead and get rid of Retribution because if people are laughing at them within their own company then that's a sign how bad things are.

I feel sorry for the wrestlers involved with it though. I'm sure they all thought this was a great opportunity for them and were excited to be part of it but I think it will be worse for them above all else. Unless they somehow manage to turn things around and actually get over I don't think it will work out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,398 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I hope they haven't however I think they have killed The Hurt Business before they had a chance to really get over.

It's the best looking stable the WWE have put together a long long long time and deserves more than it's getting right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Whoever Slapjack is, WWE Creative clearly didn't think to search for it on Urban Dictionary first.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Whoever Slapjack is, WWE Creative clearly didn't think to search for it on Urban Dictionary first.

Is that Joey Ryan's secrets finisher.

Can't say I heard that term before. Safe to say I never had to look up the word for it.

And now they have twitter with WWE in their names, as all those rebelling against companies tend to do

How long before a non WWE wrestling company has a World Title cage match with a glass ceiling on the cage for a ex WWE guy to break through and win.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I hope they haven't however I think they have killed The Hurt Business before they had a chance to really get over.

It's the best looking stable the WWE have put together a long long long time and deserves more than it's getting right now.

I thought the opposite. I thought they’ve actually made The Hurt Business look bad ass over the past few weeks. They’ve stepped up to fight Mace, Spar and Centra when others haven’t or have and failed.

And the suits are class.

Loughc wrote: »
    They’ve stepped up to fight Mace, Spar and Centra

My favourite thing ever on boards

Joey Janella seem to have decided to use the name new midnight express as a tag team name with Sonny kiss. Haha I know it’s probably a joke but I’d love to see them actually use this on AEW and get sued because cornette , condrey, Eaton, and lane own the trademark to the name midnight express. And I assume that the wwe would have an issue with new midnight express seeing as they used it in the late 1990’s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

20121220_road_warriors_bust_out.0.png

Would easily argue this is the greatest “look” in wrestling history.

They came across as complete monsters during the Hulkamania period. Larger than life almost like real-life cartoon characters. Truly unique. Often copied never equalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

How long before a non WWE wrestling company has a World Title cage match with a glass ceiling on the cage for a ex WWE guy to break through and win.

Brass ring ladder match!

Is it a coincidence that Kenny Omega does a One Winged Angel, named after a video game, and Mansoor does a similar move called "Sands of Time", which is also a video game reference. Though I know it's a saying as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,118 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Is it a coincidence that Kenny Omega does a One Winged Angel, named after a video game, and Mansoor does a similar move called "Sands of Time", which is also a video game reference. Though I know it's a saying as well.

Lots of wrestlers are massive geeks these days.

Not an insult, I am too but without the shredded abs like them!

This coming November will be the 15th anniversary of Eddie Guerrero’s death. Jesus I only worked out it was 15 years because I was watching today on the network the September 23rd 2005 episode of smack down and in the episode list it shows Eddie in November. It’s unfortunate that some of the most vivid memories of my wrestling fandom involve awful moments. I can remember where I was when I heard Owen harts death, Eddie guerreros death, and the other guys evil acts. I remember going on to wwe.com that Sunday night just to see what was happening in wwe(having not heard anything at all) and there was that banner which has that picture of Eddie and it was a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,962 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    This coming November will be the 15th anniversary of Eddie Guerrero’s death. Jesus I only worked out it was 15 years because I was watching today on the network the September 23rd 2005 episode of smack down and in the episode list it shows Eddie in November. It’s unfortunate that some of the most vivid memories of my wrestling fandom involve awful moments. I can remember where I was when I heard Owen harts death, Eddie guerreros death, and the other guys evil acts. I remember going on to wwe.com that Sunday night just to see what was happening in wwe(having not heard anything at all) and there was that banner which has that picture of Eddie and it was a shock.

Yeah I found out about Eddie's Death the same way can't remember was it a Sunday night or a Monday morning. That banner 'A tragic loss' with Eddies picture was very shocking and so out of the blue. Can't believe its coming up to 15 years

Heard of Benoits death by checking a wrestling news site and seeing a headline 'Chris Benoit and Family found dead'

Warriors death was also out of the blue and a bit eery at the same time. Like something out of a movie. Days after his big return he passes away

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yeah I found out about Eddie's Death the same way can't remember was it a Sunday night or a Monday morning. That banner 'A tragic loss' with Eddies picture was very shocking and so out of the blue. Can't believe its coming up to 15 years

Heard of Benoits death by checking a wrestling news site and seeing a headline 'Chris Benoit and Family found dead'

Warriors death was also out of the blue and a bit eery at the same time. Like something out of a movie. Days after his big return he passes away

It was Sunday night that the banner was there. I heard about that **** from Canada(sorry mods) the Monday it happened and then turned on raw and there was Vince standing in the ring in an empty building in I think Corpus Christi Texas if I’m not mistaken and remembering William regals tribute which was off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I remember I heard about Eddie's death just before school. Went in and my friend told me about it.

With Chris Benoit, I was on camp with the Reserve Defence Force and my sister rang me and told me about it. I was more shocked about Benoit's death but that goes without saying really.

My mate rang me saying did yiu hear about Eddie Guerrero and I said yeah he is apparently going to win the title off Batista, then he ultimately told me the news.

Only like two weeks later WWE held a raw event in Ireland with Eddie chants ringing around the o2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Anytime of my non wrestling fan mates ask me about someone, they usually have passed unknownest to me.

Advertisement