Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Its amazing how perceptions change.

Was reminiscing about the Attitude Era earlier and in particular how sexualised the Divas were back then compared to now. I said that I always loved Trish Stratus, Torrie Wilson and later Candice Michelle (babes) and I thought that Stacey Kiebler was a plain Jane in comparison.

Now looking back, Kiebler is by far the most naturally prettiest (and has aged better) and I would be far more drawn to the likes of her today.

Its amazing what draws the attention of a teenage lad I suppose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,982 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Was reminiscing about the Attitude Era earlier and in particular how sexualised the Divas were back then compared to now. I said that I always loved Trish Stratus, Torrie Wilson and later Candice Michelle (babes) and I thought that Stacey Kiebler was a plain Jane in comparison.

Now looking back, Kiebler is by far the most naturally prettiest (and has aged better) and I would be far more drawn to the likes of her today.

they all still look very good

Mandy Rose is diva of 2020

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Keibler was always #1 for young me to be fair. Though I'll agree that the era made me think that all women did sports in lacey thongs. How wrong was I.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I know what you mean... Except Stacey was always stunning LETS BURN HIM AT THE STAKE LADS... GET HIM!! :pac:

but to be serious you are right our opinions change :p I thought Madusa in WCW (1999) was an old woman back then but she was only 35 at the time. If you go back and look at her pics back then.. oh my. Oh my indeed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Read the room lads, we cant talk about Diva's anymore :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,419 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just thinking today how does Impact make money.

The US TV deal can't be big in any way shape of form.

PPV revenue can't be big.

No live events.

Lots of Talent on somewhat decent money you would expect.

International TV money and the Steaming Site wouldn't be enough would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

dont impact owners own the tv channel there on as well so its prob no revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 60,419 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They may own the channels but its lose making then why would they take that kind of hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

No live events.

I have AXS here too and the channel is utter ****e. Just old band documentaries and stuff so would love to see their demo figures haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Moves don't even mean anything anymore...

https://gfycat.com/cautiousalivealaskanmalamute

Throwing a guy literally 10 feet in the air and uppercutting his jaw off. Regular kickout at 2. Nonsense.
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    they all still look very good

Mandy Rose is diva of 2020

You spelt Lacey Evans wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,874 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

J. Marston wrote: »
    Moves don't even mean anything anymore...

https://gfycat.com/cautiousalivealaskanmalamute

Throwing a guy literally 10 feet in the air and uppercutting his jaw off. Regular kickout at 2. Nonsense.

Speaking of throwing someone in the air, how does Cedric Alexander's Lumbar Check work? I watched him do it on Ricochet and Rick didn't seem to help when propelling up. Not to mention it just looks like it'd be painful on Cedric's legs

No live events.

I have no idea myself. Impact is shown in the UK every Friday night (technically Saturday morning) at 1:50am. No way that's pulling in an audience but for some die hard fans.

3 years ago it was shown at 9pm on Fridays then the timeslot kept slipping and slipping. Hardly anyone has to be watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Speaking of throwing someone in the air, how does Cedric Alexander's Lumbar Check work? I watched him do it on Ricochet and Rick didn't seem to help when propelling up. Not to mention it just looks like it'd be painful on Cedric's legs

It's all about weight placement, you get the guys shoulder blades across your shins, he also guides the guy using the arm that's across his chest, so he's never not in control.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Enzo is such a waste of talent.

Couldn't wrestle worth a toss but he was just effortless on the mic.

So many fantastic putdowns.

"Karl Anderson, you are like Times New Roman font; You are as generic as they come."

"Devon, I got the gift of gab and the gift of jab and I'll put that lazy eye right back to work."

"Check your watch, Neville. Know what time it is? It's the main event of Raw and in the 9 months you held this title you never even sniffed this hour."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Seeing as a few posts before this there was a discussion and Trish stratus was mentioned. She retired initially 14 years ago tonight by winning the wwe women’s title against lita at unforgiven 2006 in Toronto. I rewatched the event last weekend and it was great mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,852 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I still remember Big Show taking pride of place on the WWE website the day after. :o

Just read that she would have been 29 years old when she initially retired as well. Very young.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Just read that she would have been 29 years old when she initially retired as well. Very young.

Its amazing how quickly she evolved within those 6 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

That is the thing with women in wrestling is to retire at early age and have a life outside wrestling bubble.

The reason why first ever Women's Royal Rumble worked very well because some of them can still go in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Started watching a series on Youtube about the Monday Night Wars. Channel is called Wrestling Bios, and it's very, very good. Highly recommended.

The lad doing it sounds like he's from NI, but he's got a great voice for it!

Anyhow, he has a very entertaining series looking at Wrestlers' careers in certain periods, such as British Bulldog's 1993. Jesus WCW should have pulled the trigger on Davey when he was facing off against Vader.

• Advertisement

I know she’s in in her forties now so yeah 29 sounds right. I mean it was a short run but what a run it was for Trish stratus. I know the end of her first run was just under a decade before the women’s revolution but I think Trish did more to dispel the notion of the stereotype of fitness models couldn’t wrestle.

Just watching the September 18th, 2000 episode of raw(and last on USA network for a few years) and in the opening segment triple h and mick foley as subtle as a sledgehammer imply that kurt angle is gay because he just wants to be Stephanie's friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,852 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

That has me thinking, when are we going to get an AEW/WWE angle centred around OnlyFans-esque content? :pac:

Ah the right to censor a great bunch of lads. You had stevie Richards, the godfather, val venis, and bull Buchanan. Not a bad group of talent.

Was watching an old clash of champions Jesus sting was just so over he was barley doing anything but had the crowd going crazy

sky88 wrote: »
    Was watching an old clash of champions Jesus sting was just so over he was barley doing anything but had the crowd going crazy

Yeah Sting was crazy over back in the day. He was the Hulk Hogan of WCW before Hogan joined.

Funny you should mention Sting not doing much because if people go back and watch Sting he was always basic. That's not to imply he was terrible he was just never a work horse. But the same could be said about Hogan and the Warrior at the time too. They never needed to be.
    They just printed money.

Yeah Sting was crazy over back in the day. He was the Hulk Hogan of WCW before Hogan joined.

Funny you should mention Sting not doing much because if people go back and watch Sting he was always basic. That's not to imply he was terrible he was just never a work horse. But the same could be said about Hogan and the Warrior at the time too. They never needed to be.
    They just printed money.

I love sting he’s one of my favourites but it’s definitely something lost in this era we’re I think for the most part wrestlers gave to do a lot more to be perceived as good wrestlers

Sometimes that connection with the fans happen regardless of talent level

sky88 wrote: »
    I love sting he’s one of my favourites but it’s definitely something lost in this era we’re I think for the most part wrestlers gave to do a lot more to be perceived as good wrestlers

Sometimes that connection with the fans happen regardless of talent level

Absolutely.
    Being "good" in the ring doesn't mean much if other aspects are missing. It's about the little things that come together. That's gone from wrestling today.

Like I could load up some match from the 80s WWF and be so entertained. Not saying every match. But that level of working is gone.
    Sure I watched Honky Tonk Man going against Koko B Ware a while back and everything they did was not only basic but amazing and the crowd was on fire.

Today's wrestling is about a million moves a minute. Even reversal after reversal as well. A showcase of how athletic a wrestler can be.
    What about telling a story? The highs .... The lows. Slowing it down. Bringing it back up.

It's definitely a lost art.

Just to add to this debate I think for all the amazing athletic stuff today’s wrestlers can do(and yes they are far more athletic across the board than previous generations) the amazing athleticism has come at the expense of the basic fundamentals of pro wresting for over a century. Moves used to have time to register with an audience where as now it’s a move because they can not because they should. It’s an issue I have with wrestling today. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should do it in a match. The basic fundamentals of pro wrestling from a century ago are still valid if updated. If I want to watch a gymnastics routine I’ll watch the Olympics.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Just to add to this debate I think for all the amazing athletic stuff today’s wrestlers can do(and yes they are far more athletic across the board than previous generations) the amazing athleticism has come at the expense of the basic fundamentals of pro wresting for over a century. Moves used to have time to register with an audience where as now it’s a move because they can not because they should. It’s an issue I have with wrestling today. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should do it in a match. The basic fundamentals of pro wrestling from a century ago are still valid if updated. If I want to watch a gymnastics routine I’ll watch the Olympics.

I absolutely agree.

Advertisement