Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Yeah but it's to be expected. Red blood cells carry oxygen. You've donated a chunk of your blood so takes time to recover that.

I never gave blood during the season cos of it

its an odd feeling when your body doesn't do what you expect it to do. I basically did 1000m at the same split I'd do a 2000m. The other conditioning seemed normal.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

silverharp wrote: »
    its an odd feeling when your body doesn't do what you expect it to do. I basically did 1000m at the same split I'd do a 2000m. The other conditioning seemed normal.

RBCs take longest to recover to pre donation levels. At an elite level, where tiny margins matter, you're looking at weeks for that recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Does the FlyeFit in drumcondra have private shower cubicles (not open showers)? Thinking of joining! What do you all think of this gym ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

At an elite level, where tiny margins matter, you're looking at weeks for that recovery.

At an elite level, they simply don't donate I imagine

Mellor wrote: »
    At an elite level, they simply don't donate I imagine

I doubt it. I wasn't suggesting they did, per se.

• Advertisement

I doubt it. I wasn't suggesting they did, per se.

Or actually, they donate...to themselves at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

When doing bicep curls using a preacher bench / stand / whatever it's called, I find my lower arms (between my elbow and wrist) hurt. Am I doing them wrong?

This is with a barbell. Would dumbbells be better?

I don't get that pain when doing standing barbell curls. Only seems to be with the preacher.

When doing bicep curls using a preacher bench / stand / whatever it's called, I find my lower arms (between my elbow and wrist) hurt. Am I doing them wrong?

I don't get that pain when doing standing barbell curls. Only seems to be with the preacher.

Try with an EZ Bar or dumbbells and see. It feels uncomfortable when I use a strsight bar so I never do.

As well as the EZ bar another tip that might help is add bands to the exercise, might smooth it out and possibly allow you to drop the weight a little bit , still with more bang for your buck

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’d stop doing them. They’re not really needed if you do plenty of pulling and some ez bar curls.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

As well as the EZ bar another tip that might help is add bands to the exercise, might smooth it out and possibly allow you to drop the weight a little bit , still with more bang for your buck

Why would you add bands? If you want to make it harder you add more weight.

I understand using bands for things like benching or deadlifts to train through sticking points in the movement. Curls, I don’t see the point.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Why would you add bands?

WESTSIDE DENIER!!!

Why would you add bands? If you want to make it harder you add more weight.

I understand using bands for things like benching or deadlifts to train through sticking points in the movement. Curls, I don’t see the point.

because I was told to :pac: . I assume the benefit is more constant tension , all circular movements drop off tension near the top

because I was told to :pac: . I assume the benefit is more constant tension , all circular movements drop off tension near the top

Yeah but the same will be true with a band. Tension will be greater at the top than without but there will be a drop off.

And anyway, there's a trade off between constant tension and reduced intensity...so how do you know that band plus lower intensity is better than no band with higher intensity.

WESTSIDE DENIER!!!

I was once a Westside acolyte. But I've been deporgrammed by inactivity.

they/them/theirs

You do you man, but it seems like unneccesary farting around to me.

I'm a traditionalist. I believe in lifting a weight from A to B is the answer to everything.

they/them/theirs

Joined FLYEFIT but haven’t been yet. When you swipe your card at the turnstiles going in, do you have to swipe the card again going out???

Joined FLYEFIT but haven’t been yet. When you swipe your card at the turnstiles going in, do you have to swipe the card again going out???

No. There's a button on the gate...

Yeah but the same will be true with a band. Tension will be greater at the top than without but there will be a drop off.

I think the logic is that the increased band tension at the top, offsets the reduced leverage of the weight at the top. Net affect being more uniform force throughout.

I think the logic is that the increased band tension at the top, offsets the reduced leverage of the weight at the top. Net affect being more uniform force throughout.

I butchered what I was trying to say there and yeah the resistance increases as the muscle in a stronger position but the point still applies that it's not necessarily better than just a heavier weight.

Also, it's just a bicep curl...

• Advertisement

That's true.

But IMO, it's also true that it's a waste of time.

It's good example of people making things complicated when they don't need to be.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

In my branch you do, so it might depend which one it is.

That's true.

But IMO, it's also true that it's a waste of time.

It's good example of people making things complicated when they don't need to be.
    Completely agree. Not saying it’s worth it, just pointing out the logic behind the set up.

I do t see the need for uniform force. But if somebody does, then would be a lot easier to just use bicep curl machine. The pulley set up means there’s no leverage changes.

In my branch you do, so it might depend which one it is.

It’s the one in Drumcondra

It’s the one in Drumcondra

If you have your card to get in then you'll have it to get out.

Try emailing them if it matters. I found them to be good at getting back when i contacted them.

Ugh, this is getting the better of me. Getting too much pain to power through, doing any variation of barbell, dumbbell or ez bar curl. :(

Going to give them a break for a couple of weeks and see how I feel. Interestingly, no pain whatsoever during seated hammer dumbbell curls, so might just stick to them for a bit.

Is there any other exercises recommended for biceps, even if only complimentary?

Ugh, this is getting the better of me. Getting too much pain to power through, doing any variation of barbell, dumbbell or ez bar curl. :(

Going to give them a break for a couple of weeks and see how I feel. Interestingly, no pain whatsoever during seated hammer dumbbell curls, so might just stick to them for a bit.

Is there any other exercises recommended for biceps, even if only complimentary?

You need to go to a medical professional. Curls shouldn't hurt.

they/them/theirs

Is it the inside of your forearm that hurts?

You need to go to a medical professional. Curls shouldn't hurt.

Oh yeah I know it's not normal. I've done them before without pain, I think I must have just sprained/pulled something. I'm going to get it checked out if the pain is still there after a couple of weeks off the curls.
    Is it the inside of your forearm that hurts?

If you put your left hand out in front of you, palm facing flat down to the ground, it's the very left/outside of it that hurts. No pain at all until I get up to the "top" of a curl.

Didn't think too much of it until it started impacting other parts of my workout - i.e. even lifting up dumbbells onto knees/legs before lying down flat for chest press.

Just going to lay off them, see how I feel after a fortnight and if it's still there - get it checked out.

Just wondering if there's anything I could (apart from hammers) so I'm not completely neglecting biceps.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah I know it's not normal. I've done them before without pain, I think I must have just sprained/pulled something. I'm going to get it checked out if the pain is still there after a couple of weeks off the curls.

If you put your left hand out in front of you, palm facing flat down to the ground, it's the very left/outside of it that hurts. No pain at all until I get up to the "top" of a curl.

Didn't think too much of it until it started impacting other parts of my workout - i.e. even lifting up dumbbells onto knees/legs before lying down flat for chest press.

Just going to lay off them, see how I feel after a fortnight and if it's still there - get it checked out.

Just wondering if there's anything I could (apart from hammers) so I'm not completely neglecting biceps.

If hammers don't hurt, then they'll do.

Advertisement