Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

2 fast wrote: »
    How do you keep motivated/get your mojo back? I used to be so fit and big into Strength and Conditioning but started going it alone cause I couldn't afford personal training and fly it for a while and then give up as a result I've put up weight and lost the strength n fitness, which is discouraging me massively. Sorry if this is the wrong thread

Not to be too like a fitness instagrammer but ‘motivation follows action, action rarely follows motivation’. Pretty much everything fitness related comes down to consistency. It has to become a habit. No one is fully motivated to go every time, so if that’s what you’re relying on you won’t go every time.

Set a goal of doing whatever it is you want to do, be it going for a run or to the gym etc., for a set amount of sessions per week and hit that amount every week for two months. If you do that consistently, keep a short term focus and make it something you have to do it will become easier. It’s simple but not necessarily easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭2 fast

Not to be too like a fitness instagrammer but ‘motivation follows action, action rarely follows motivation’. Pretty much everything fitness related comes down to consistency. It has to become a habit. No one is fully motivated to go every time, so if that’s what you’re relying on you won’t go every time.

Set a goal of doing whatever it is you want to do, be it going for a run or to the gym etc., for a set amount of sessions per week and hit that amount every week for two months. If you do that consistently, keep a short term focus and make it something you have to do it will become easier. It’s simple but not necessarily easy.

Thanks that's good advice, I'll give it a try! Fingers crossed I'm going to try and not leave the gym overwhelm me anymore! We all start somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Setting yourself some short/long term goals might help, regardless of how big or small they are. Can you squat 50kg for 10 reps with good form? Try to work towards squatting 60kg for 10 reps. Can you do 5 unassisted pullups? Aim towards 10, etc etc

Long term goals, such as a weight target or how you look in the mirror take a longer time to achieve and the rate of progress may feel demoralising, which is why short term goals help massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

On an antibiotic for the week with a chest infection, am I right to say the best thing is to just stretch at home, take the rest and finish the course before returning to weights?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

2 fast wrote: »
    How do you keep motivated/get your mojo back? I used to be so fit and big into Strength and Conditioning but started going it alone cause I couldn't afford personal training and fly it for a while and then give up as a result I've put up weight and lost the strength n fitness, which is discouraging me massively. Sorry if this is the wrong thread

If we all waited until we were motivated, then we'd probably do 10% of what we actually do. As has been said, build a habit. For example, some days I just don't really feel like I want to go. Certainly not motivated to go. But it's Monday/Wednesday/Friday so I go. Or whenever suits you. On those days, have your gear ready and with you...whatever is needed to reduce potential excuses to not go.

Get some sort of programme online. If you have no idea what to do when you go in, it'll be an aimless assortment of exercises and you'll do less than you would otherwise do cos it will just seem disjointed and pointless.

As Mark Rippetoe said, don't look at where you ultimately want to be but make short term goals. If you squat 40kg and you want to get to 100kg, if you set goals of getting to 50, then 60, then 70 etc then each little achievement doesn't seem that far away and it gives you a boost when you get it. Something of a positive feedback loop. On the other hand, if you're squatting 40 and just look at 100 as the goal, then it can seem too far away and that can be demotivating. When I used to run, and especially on long runs when it was hard to keep going, I didn't think of hoe many miles I had left but to get to the next lamp post, and then the next one. Each one brought me maybe 50m closer but it just felt more easy mentally. If I just kept thinking about how far I had left to run, I might just have stopped.

And yeah, we all start somewhere. Just because someone lifts a lot more than you do now doesn't mean they weren't once where you are now. People go to the gym to improve themselves...physically and mentally. Most people understand that. And you're paying the same membership as anyone else so you're as entitled to use the equipment the same as anyone else is.

I get that it can seem daunting but just focus on getting yourself in there and start the journey. The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step and all that.

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »
    On an antibiotic for the week with a chest infection, am I right to say the best thing is to just stretch at home, take the rest and finish the course before returning to weights?

You likely feel knackered. I had something similar recently and stretching was probably all I was able for. Ease back into it when the course is done - you likely won't feel at 100% when you're done with the antibiotics anyway so I wouldn't jump straight back into what you were doing.

You likely feel knackered. I had something similar recently and stretching was probably all I was able for. Ease back into it when the course is done - you likely won't feel at 100% when you're done with the antibiotics anyway so I wouldn't jump straight back into what you were doing.
    Yeah....I mean I know this but it'd be nice to hear somebody say 'work away' :D

Went back to work today and came home early so I'm definitely not right, will try go for some walks in the evening because I'm feeling a bit stale from being at home all the time with it

Yeah....I mean I know this but it'd be nice to hear somebody say 'work away' :D

Went back to work today and came home early so I'm definitely not right, will try go for some walks in the evening because I'm feeling a bit stale from being at home all the time with it
    Just to update on this - still sick, the antibiotic made me sick so didn't finish the course on Doctors orders and still fighting off a viral infection it seems. Been back at work and finally went to the gym last night and got on fine but I'm now in the predicament where I don't think I can fully flake on with a structured program as I'd hoped because I'm still coughing and conscious of overdoing it. Reckon I'll try go twice a week until end of Jan and see where that leaves me.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭taxdummy

Hi Guys,

I know this topic has been asked thousands of times so doesn't need it's own thread plus don't want to resurrect an old thread so thought this be best place to ask question.

I am currently going to a PT 2/3 times a week - in order to get in shape/leaner - mainly weight training. I also run a fair bit - training for half marathon in April, and try to get 10k+ steps everyday. So basically I only have 1/2 rest days a week - which are basically rest days.

My food is fairly clean - over last week average intake (per day) of P/C/F has been 132/210/50g and my calorie intake is approx. 1900 calories a day. My weight is approx. 175lbs and body fat of 20%. Water intake of approx. 3litres a day.

Given that I'm running a lot I think I need the high intake of carbs.

The only supplements that I take are fish oil capsules and Vit C. No shakes or whey, as I don't think I need them to hit protein goals. I may also have some sort of low/zero calorie energy drink prior to workout/long run - for example monster ultra (half before/after), but that would be it (I don't drink coffee)

However should I be taking creatine. I'm very reluctant to just take something (as prefer to just eat good clean food) - will it just accelerate the process of building muscle, or is it actually needed. Like does it accelerate the process marginally, or what you could build in 6 months, might only take 5 months for instance?.

Will it have any negative impact on my running? And/or is there anything I need to consider when taking creatine?

taxdummy wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I know this topic has been asked thousands of times so doesn't need it's own thread plus don't want to resurrect an old thread so thought this be best place to ask question.

I am currently going to a PT 2/3 times a week - in order to get in shape/leaner - mainly weight training. I also run a fair bit - training for half marathon in April, and try to get 10k+ steps everyday. So basically I only have 1/2 rest days a week - which are basically rest days.

My food is fairly clean - over last week average intake (per day) of P/C/F has been 132/210/50g and my calorie intake is approx. 1900 calories a day. My weight is approx. 175lbs and body fat of 20%. Water intake of approx. 3litres a day.

The only supplements that I take are fish oil capsules and Vit C. No shakes or whey, as I don't think I need them to hit protein goals. I may also have some sort of low/zero calorie energy drink prior to workout/long run - for example monster ultra (half before/after), but that would be it (I don't drink coffee)

However should I be taking creatine. I'm very reluctant to just take something (as prefer to just eat good clean food) - will it just accelerate the process of building muscle, or is it actually needed. Like does it accelerate the process marginally, or what you could build in 6 months, might only take 5 months for instance?.

Will it have any negative impact on my running? And/or is there anything I need to consider when taking creatine?
    I've been taking creatine and from what I researched on it - use it but it's good to use it in cycles rather than constantly take it for a number of months i.e. 6 weeks on / 6 weeks off.

There's a lot of articles online about runners employing creatine including marathon runners - I'll have to look through an app I have for articles where I may have it archived but my understanding is that creatine has a bad name with people thinking it'll cause bloating but I've never found that personally.

I'd recommend ingesting using powder as opposed to capsules - again, I don't have the source but I think Jeff Nippard on Youtube pointed this out in one of his videos whereby there were research articles seeing increased uptake/results from powder.

• Advertisement

taxdummy wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/creatine/

Is as comprehensive a guide as you'll find on the internet.

Loading is largely unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Any concerns about someone going from occasional push ups to a 100 per day push up challenge. Should you make sure to counter all those push ups with an opposite exercise?
    This would be as part of a program that has push ups, inverted rows, dips and pull ups.
    The push ups would have by far the most reps if I were going for 100 a day.

shutup wrote: »
    Any concerns about someone going from occasional push ups to a 100 per day push up challenge. Should you make sure to counter all those push ups with an opposite exercise?
    This would be as part of a program that has push ups, inverted rows, dips and pull ups.
    The push ups would have by far the most reps if I were going for 100 a day.

There is a balance of pushing and pulling in terms of exercises but if the volume of push ups is much higher then Id look to add in things like band pull-aparts etc for a bit of balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Male
    6ft 0 Tall

Weight 20.5 Stone

I'm very overweight but I've done some training in the past so I have a good bit of muscle

I'm looking to eat 2400 calories a day with 200g being protein with the rest of the calories being split between fats and carbs, some days will be lower carb others will be higher fat

Exercise wise Ill be doing an upper/lower body weight-training split 4 days a week
    Also going to try and hit 10k steps every day for the extra calorie burn

My long term goal is 14 stone but initially I'm focused on getting to 16.5 stone

How long do you think It should take

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Male
    6ft 0 Tall

Weight 20.5 Stone

I'm very overweight but I've done some training in the past so I have a good bit of muscle

I'm looking to eat 2400 calories a day with 200g being protein with the rest of the calories being split between fats and carbs, some days will be lower carb others will be higher fat

Exercise wise Ill be doing an upper/lower body weight-training split 4 days a week

My long term goal is 14 stone but initially I'm focused on getting to 16.5 stone

Can't give you an answer on how long, but fair play giving it a go!

I would also say, that if you are not active at the moment, you will loose weight very quickly with diet an exercise.

And make sure whatever diet/gym/exercise you do, that it's sustainable and a change of how you live, otherwise you won't be able to maintain it long term, which you need to do to keep the weight off.

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Male
    6ft 0 Tall

Weight 20.5 Stone

It really depends on what your actual Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is because that determines the level of deficit that 2400 kcals is.

Just do what you've planned, see how it goes and adjust as necessary.

Any recommendations for apps for tracking workout sessions, goals etc

Have used Google sheets in my phone before but found it a bit annoying

Any recommendations for apps for tracking workout sessions, goals etc

Have used Google sheets in my phone before but found it a bit annoying

Fitnotes is supposed to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I attended Britains Strongest Man in Sheffield on Saturday evening. First time at something like that and it was very enjoyable. Do those guys use steroids? I mean, Tom Stoltman is 6 foot 8, 160kg and 25 years old.

tom.jpg

Could he get that big naturally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

SuprSi wrote: »
    I attended Britains Strongest Man in Sheffield on Saturday evening. First time at something like that and it was very enjoyable. Do those guys use steroids? I mean, Tom Stoltman is 6 foot 8, 160kg and 25 years old.

tom.jpg

All strongmen and competing bodybuilders use steroids unless they enter the naturals competition.

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »

tom.jpg

It may be possible to get that big naturally but it's highly unlikely. Especially giving the testing or lack thereof it's safe to assume the majority of top level strongmen are using some form of PEDs. There was however apparently a handful of guys in the early 2000s who apparently competed as naturals.

I don't think the gear usage really takes away from what they can accomplish though.

Thor said he's taken steroids. If he's taken/taking them, well...you can draw your own conclusions about the world level competitors

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

there is basically no chance any of the top strongmen in the world have not been on steroids

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

IIRC, most strongman feds state they are drug free but never drug test. So...

Fitnotes is supposed to be good.
    Working away with that now, thanks Alf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I found all the machines I needed access to from before, in terms of beginning strengthening/fat burning, how many reps/time should I spend on each machine do people recommend?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It may be possible to get that big naturally but it's highly unlikely.
    It’s definitely possible to get that big naturally.
    He’s not 6’8” because of steroids.
    Historical strongmen have by bigger and taller without steroids.

...but he’s also on steroids for other obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I remember watching a few debunking natural vegan bodybuilders videos, my takeaway was apart from someone making gainz too quickly was that you “cant” be big and ripped, that there is a trade off?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

anyone ever donate blood and notice their aerobic capacity reduce? donated on Thur, had Thurs and Friday as rest days, kind of bonked doing the concept 2 Sat morning , strength stuff was fine, didn't notice anything there.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    anyone ever donate blood and notice their aerobic capacity reduce? donated on Thur, had Thurs and Friday as rest days, kind of bonked doing the concept 2 Sat morning , strength stuff was fine, didn't notice anything there.

Yeah but it's to be expected. Red blood cells carry oxygen. You've donated a chunk of your blood so takes time to recover that.

I never gave blood during the season cos of it

Advertisement