Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ceepo wrote: »
    Vanity, "negative connotations" really??

Yep.

'Assthetics' would be better here, obviously.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Vanity, "negative connotations" really??

Would the term "astethics" be better.

It would be much better. Remember “vanity” is one of the 7 deadly sins.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Yep.

'Assthetics' would be better here, obviously.

I see what you done there :)

I'll take the snowflake generation into consideration in any further comments so ;)

I see what you done there :)

I'll take the snowflake generation into consideration in any further comments so ;)

It's not really anything to do with anyone being a snowflake.

It doesn't have to be about vanity or aesthetics or whatever. But not every exercise has to be the optimal for function and not everyone's 'function' will be the same. And not everyone will want to necessarily enhance a particular function.

While a lot of what I do has a purpose related to a function, a lot of training at particular points may not be.

And who doesn't love a good curl-pushdown superset for the pump?

Mellor wrote: »
    If the OP had said they were doing it to run faster, then the "But its not going to help you run faster" is a valid point. But I don't think they mentioned running.

I'm not surprised hip thrusts didn't increase vertical, horizontal jump or sprints. But I'm not sure why that's the test for whether something is functional though. If you look at the actual study, the hip thrust group had a 30% increase in squat strength compared to the control group who had no significant change. Strength is functional imo.

OP asked about sucess doing HT.
    The link I provided and I also stated that if it was to have a bigger glutes then it was good.
    If it was to improve running then it wasnt.
    OP replied later to say it wasn't anything to do with running.

The HT group also include some other strength work
    So any improvement may not be solely down to HT.

Subjects in the HTT group added HTT
    movement to a regular baseball-training regimen
    (which included baseball technical training and some
    strength training without lower extremity training
    during the study period); participants in the CON group
    performed only the regular baseball training regimen
    for 8 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

OP asked about sucess doing HT.
    The link I provided and I also stated that if it was to have a bigger glutes then it was good.
    If it was to improve running then it wasnt.
    OP replied later to say it wasn't anything to do with running.
    But why was running even mentioned, as if its some yardstick for function.
    Even after they said it wasn't for running, you stated there are better exercises for function. Like what?

The study was also based on baseball players. Who tend to be already well built and upper body dominant. If the group were guys casually into running who tend to be more scrawny the benefits for glute work might be different. Or might not.

strength training without lower extremity training
    for 8 weeks
    Yes they did other strength training. But so did the the control group who had no improvement in strength markers. The difference between the two groups was hip thrusts only afaik.

Mellor wrote: »
    But why was running even mentioned, as if its some yardstick for function.

You can tell a lot by assessing someones running (Gait), as it will highlight any movement dysfunction they might have, (once you know what you're looking for), and as running is an extension of walking, and walking is a function that the vast majority people worldwide do on a daily basis, and considering a lot of sports are based around the Gait cycle. I would say that it's a very good yardstick of function.
    Even after they said it wasn't for running, you stated there are better exercises for function. Like what?

Something like a split lunge, as it brings the hip's into flexion and extension (done properly) at the same time. If you can introduce some T-spine rotation then all the better. Doing an exercise like this not only works the glute for hip extension, but also hyper extension (its secondary function) but also acts as a exercise for glute med/min to stabilize the hips. With the added bonus of building bulk. But there's plenty of others as well.

The study was also based on baseball players. Who tend to be already well built and upper body dominant. If the group were guys casually into running who tend to be more scrawny the benefits for glute work might be different. Or might not.
    Well that's a nice term to describe people!!!
    Some runners might be lighter or fitter perhaps that the some guys in the gym , but "casually into running" certainly don't "tend to be more scrawny"
    Yes they did other strength training. But so did the the control group who had no improvement in strength markers. The difference between the two groups was hip thrusts only afaik

strength training
    without lower extremity training
    for 8 weeks

My reading of it is the HT group done some strength training along with regular BB training, while the CON group done regular BB training only.

You can tell a lot by assessing someones running (Gait), as it will highlight any movement dysfunction they might have, (once you know what you're looking for), and as running is an extension of walking, and walking is a function that the vast majority people worldwide do on a daily basis, and considering a lot of sports are based around the Gait cycle. I would say that it's a very good yardstick of function.
    I agree that running makes sense for assessing movement dysfunction. Along a few other basic movements.
    But you were talking about performance improvements not assessing dysfunction.
    Sprints and jumps are valid markers. But I think it silly to declare every single exercise that doesn't improve them to be useless.

Something like a split lunge, as it brings the hip's into flexion and extension (done properly) at the same time. If you can introduce some T-spine rotation then all the better. Doing an exercise like this not only works the glute for hip extension, but also hyper extension (its secondary function) but also acts as a exercise for glute med/min to stabilize the hips. With the added bonus of building bulk. But there's plenty of others as well.
    What's hip hyperextension, as opposed to extension?
    (In my sport that has a meaning that I'm sure you aren't referring to.)

Well that's a nice term to describe people!!!
    Some runners might be lighter or fitter perhaps that the some guys in the gym , but "casually into running" certainly don't "tend to be more scrawny"
    I'm not having a pop at runners, just an observation.
    Runners aren't exactly know for well rounded strength routines - the markers you refer to are more indicative of power than general running ability.

I said "casually" to clarify that I was talking about hobbyiests not finely tuned elite athletes. Hobbyiests are much more likely to have holes in their training and thus benefit from plugging those holes.

My reading of it is the HT group done some strength training along with regular BB training, while the CON group done regular BB training only.
    No, I don't think hat is the case. The basic premise of these studies is to isolate the factor you are studying.
    Look at brackets around that sentence. It is saying that technical training and some other strength work is the regular training.
    The abstract also confirms it.
    Participants in the HTT group added HTT movements to a regular baseball training regimen (3 times per week for 8 weeks), whereas participants in the CON group only performed the regular baseball training regimen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I just want bigger glutes. I don't see anything wrong with that.
    BTW, I'm female. Just clarifying as someone posted about me wanting a bigger bum in his jeans, but it's her jeans :)

I just want bigger glutes. I don't see anything wrong with that.
    There's absolute nothing wrong with that.
    Don't let any one tell you it's vanity or wrong in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I need to use a cross trainer and a rowing machine, I cant afford both, joining the gym isn't an option.
    Is there somekind of hybrid machine that would do the job?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Bredabe wrote: »
    I need to use a cross trainer and a rowing machine, I cant afford both, joining the gym isn't an option.

What do you need to use them both for, I.e. what's the purpose of needing both so as to give a better idea of alternative options.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

what are your goals? they both overlap for cardio, the rower is better for going hard whereas the cross trainer tends to be for longer and slower , my first thought was that the rower and some dumbbells and some walking would do it unless you have a preference for long slow cardio.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

It wont let me multiquote, so to reply to you both,
    I dont really know what exactly the goal is, beyond muscle strengthening, particularly in the shoulders and lower back.

I dont really know what exactly the goal is, beyond muscle strengthening, particularly in the shoulders and lower back.

Neither cardio machine will particular strengthen muscles. If the two only the tower really targets shoulders and lower back

Did someone tell you to use both a rower and a cross trainer specifically for strengthening muscles in shoulder and lower back.

As Mellor said, the rower would be the better of the two for doing that but if it's just strengthening muscles in shoulders and lower back then there are better options than either of those two, e.g. dumbbells or even resistance bands

What do you need to use them both for, I.e. what's the purpose of needing both so as to give a better idea of alternative options.
    silverharp wrote: »
    what are your goals? they both overlap for cardio, the rower is better for going hard whereas the cross trainer tends to be for longer and slower , my first thought was that the rower and some dumbbells and some walking would do it unless you have a preference for long slow cardio.
    Did someone tell you to use both a rower and a cross trainer specifically for strengthening muscles in shoulder and lower back.

As Mellor said, the rower would be the better of the two for doing that but if it's just strengthening muscles in shoulders and lower back then there are better options than either of those two, e.g. dumbbells or even resistance bands

No, thats where the confusion is, I was recommended to use both, but I have no real idea what was being targeted, but those area's are the most prone to injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Maybe wants the cadio benefit as well? I would say the rower is good for strenghtening someone whos goal is to just general health. I certainly feel stronger when I use it regularly

No, thats where the confusion is, I was recommended to use both, but I have no real idea what was being targeted, but those area's are the most prone to injury.

Ok, well if the primary aim is to strengthen those muscles then I'd suggest you would get more from resistance bands or dumbbells. If you've done no resistance training, you could start with resistance bands and there are a lot of exercises you can do.

Both are good machines for cardio but if that's a secondary element and given that it is a lot of money to get a decent version of either, there are less expensive ways of improving your cardiovascular fitness and which you may enjoy more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I'd love to know who told you to buy a rower and cross trainer lol. If you have a **** ton of money and huge home then they would be cool to have to be fair

• Advertisement

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I'd love to know who told you to buy a rower and cross trainer lol. If you have a **** ton of money and huge home then they would be cool to have to be fair
    OT suggested that I use the ones' in those outdoor gyms in the park, but there is neither machine in the one closest to me. I was hoping I could find some kind of middle ground

OT suggested that I use the ones' in those outdoor gyms in the park, but there is neither machine in the one closest to me. I was hoping I could find some kind of middle ground

Honestly, you could get a resistance band for ~ €10 and you'd get enough from it. I have one that I still use regularly, especially for upper back and shoulders.

Any increase in any form of cardiovascular exercise will be an improvement which is basically all you are looking to do and build from there in time.

No need to go forking out a lot of money on machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Has anyone ever had benefit from seeing a physio?

Have seen a couple over the years and always thought they were a waste of time and doing nothing would have given same results.

Picked up a serious injury there and have been to see one 7 times now and now I'm convinced. I said to myself id give it a real go.

Like most people dealing in pain. Gangsters. 100%. Theirs always people in pain so their will always be demand but...this one wanted me to keep going to her aswell!!

FFVII wrote: »

Have seen a couple over the years and always thought they were a waste of time and doing nothing would have given same results.

Picked up a serious injury there and have been to see one 7 times now and now I'm convinced. I said to myself id give it a real go.

Like most people dealing in pain. Gangsters. 100%. Theirs always people in pain so their will always be demand but...this one wanted me to keep going to her aswell!!

The only ones I have dealt with have never tried to keep me going any longer than I needed to be.

I've been to two based on recommendations from people I knew. Both assessed me, gave me work to do to address the issue and gave me exercises to do or advice on how to go about avoiding a recurrence of the issue.

But, like any industry, there will always be people that are shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

But like any industry, there will always be people that are shíte.

This, I've been lucky to have seen one or two very good physios, there are others I've seen who have not been great, but you'll only really know that when you have the experience of a good physio. Get recommendations, look around, wait for the appointment if they're booked up and don't accept other physios available in the practice is my suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Aurelian

If you train late, what do you eat after training?

I couldn't really eat a meal after 9, say.

Aurelian wrote: »

I usually train from 8.30pm to 10pm or thereabouts. I don't really have much to eat after. I have my dinner a couple of hours before.

ETA: depends what your diet is like the rest of the day but if you feel the need to get more protein in post workout, a shake is handy if you don't want to eat late. I don't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Aurelian wrote: »

I eat until I feel full. I am not trying to be smart, but I can't go to bed hungry. Everyone is different though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

FFVII wrote: »

I had a back injury when I was younger. Nothing major but one that has caused me minor pain through most of my life with several episodes of severe pain that could last for weeks/months and leave me with limited mobility for the duration. I've had a lot of physio from different physios and a few different courses of steroid injections. And at no point ever, did any doctor or physio advise me that my core was weak and get me to work on building a strong core. In the last year I have built up a strong core and my back pain has gone almost completely. And while I'm delighted about that I'm also more than a bit p'd off that not one single person who's job it is to assist with the type of pain I had ever treated me in in what I now think must surely have been the most blatantly obvious way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭2 fast

How do you keep motivated/get your mojo back? I used to be so fit and big into Strength and Conditioning but started going it alone cause I couldn't afford personal training and fly it for a while and then give up as a result I've put up weight and lost the strength n fitness, which is discouraging me massively. Sorry if this is the wrong thread

Advertisement