Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Checks thread

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

I think from a combat sports perspective now mcgregor is done
    It is clear his head isn't in it
    He said himself the training for khabib wasn't good enough and wasn't focused
    Him and John are no longer connected like in the past
    Honestly I think the current mcgregor would be beaten by any of the top 5 in lightweight and Holloway too
    You can't take three years off in your prime while everyone else keeps getting sharper

His personal life is a complete side event in itself and has become pathetic and embarrassing

I fear the worst has yet to come for connor, but we aren't allowed discuss that on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I fear the worst has yet to come for connor, but we aren't allowed discuss that on this forum.

Nah. He’s dodged the worst of it. He just has a face up to the sucker punching of a 50 year old.
    And anything new that might happen down the line.

Effects wrote: »
    Nah. He’s dodged the worst of it. He just has a face up to the sucker punching of a 50 year old.
    And anything new that might happen down the line.

I think that he was referring the other case reported late 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

glasso wrote: »

Hasn't been a word about that for months, must have been all bollloxx.

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »

Yeah, like I said, he dodged it.
    Doesn’t come cheap though I’d imagine.

JJayoo wrote: »

There wouldn’t have been anything else about the man getting sucker punched either, except there was CCTV of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

He'll be back lads. Don't worry yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Effects wrote: »
    Except vegans don’t actually go on about being vegans.
    Meat eaters like you just moan about vegans and how you perceive them.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

JJayoo wrote: »

Sure

• Advertisement

The New York Times don't put out bollox articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

McGregor broke even with a club boxer in a Crumlin a couple of months ago.
    And people still believe a boxing bout against the greatest boxer of his generation wasnt a work
    People are easily led

I don't like Connor at all but you have to know the context of these things,

He beat McGrane quite easy that day but it was Connor himself who decided it was a draw as he didn't want to land the kid who had the guts to fight him a loss, In every sense the outcome (not the fight) of the Ammy boxing match was a fix ,

I'm surprised at you as you know your boxing very well , There was no way at any level the Floyd fight was a fix and is nonsense to think that,

People bring up the Floyd's fight in Japan and say he could have done it to Connor , but they forget how small the guy Tenshin is

Tenshin is tiny compared to even Floyd , He fight mostly at 127 lbs without weight cutting , That's 2 stone lighter than Conor who cuts weight to fight at 155 , 2 stone at lightweight is a HUGE difference , plus he is 21 year of age , He had nothing to discourage Floyd ,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't like Connor at all but you have to know the context of these things,

He beat McGrane quite easy that day but it was Connor himself who decided it was a draw as he didn't want to land the kid who had the guts to fight him a loss, In every sense the outcome (not the fight) of the Ammy boxing match was a fix ,

I'm surprised at you as you know your boxing very well , There was no way at any level the Floyd fight was a fix and is nonsense to think that,

People bring up the Floyd's fight in Japan and say he could have done it to Connor , but they forget how small the guy Tenshin is

Tenshin is tiny compared to even Floyd , He fight mostly at 127 lbs without weight cutting , That's 2 stone lighter than Conor who cuts weight to fight at 155 , 2 stone at lightweight is a HUGE difference , plus he is 21 year of age , He had nothing to discourage Floyd ,

I'm not sure what your argument is or the point of it. Do you think that there was a real competitive (non-freak incident) chance for McGregor in that fight? Where would you rank McGregor then currently in his weight? Have a look at the boxrec rankings and let us know where you think he might slot in i.e. where there'd be a good chance he could compete and beat fellas around that ranking.

There are levels and "gears" in any sport. I boxed but wouldn't have considered myself a "good" boxer. Still, the odd time you'd have a spar with some fella with a lot less experience........you just wouldn't step it up. Especially if they were novicey and in a club spar, they might be trying to take your head off. But you'd move around with them and not be that bothered. You wouldn't be trying to knock them out. I mean, you might be lax and let them even catch you once or twice but apart from catching you with a freaky lucky punch you'd be grand - because you have the gears anyway to control what is going on and you aren't threatened by it. Even if they did catch you with a big one, you'd just put them back in their box quickly by being a bit assertive for literally 2-3 seconds. And plenty of times in competitions, especially in multi-bout tournaments, you wouldn't bother stepping it up because you'd feel fairly comfortable and ahead on points so you'd just coast to the end - the equivalent of holding onto the ball and passing it between yourselves at the end of a soccer match I suppose.

It's also fairly common, especially when you have a boxer with a good pedigree, who is building his way up through journeymen, to be told by his coach not to knock out an opponent too early because the coach wants him to get a few rounds in. They do that when the opponent isn't a threat.

McGregor did well for a beginner in that fight. I'm not knocking him. But I'm not under any illusion that he is any sort of world class standard. He's a beginner. He would not be any more competitive against Keeler in a boxing match. I'm sure he'd batter Keeler in an MMA match. MW might have had his money before the bell rang but he also probably wanted to enjoy a few handy rounds and also there would have been a backlash had it been over in a few seconds. No way would I have ever paid to watch it, but plenty of people did.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor did well for a beginner in that fight. I'm not knocking him. But I'm not under any illusion that he is any sort of world class standard. He's a beginner. He would not be any more competitive against Keeler in a boxing match. I'm sure he'd batter Keeler in an MMA match. MW might have had his money before the bell rang but he also probably wanted to enjoy a few handy rounds and also there would have been a backlash had it been over in a few seconds. No way would I have ever paid to watch it, but plenty of people did.

McGregor is nowhere near a world class boxer. I don't think anyone said he was.
    He didn't have any real chance in that fight, close to zero with the way Floyd play it. I don't think anybody disputes that.

But none of that means the fight was a fix. Which was what poster above was refering to, along with the exhibition bout.

Also, as if Floyd would give a fk about a backlash from a quick KO.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Mellor wrote: »
    Also, as if Floyd would give a fk about a backlash from a quick KO.

Also readily apparent in the corner footage - they were banking on Conor gassing. The skill discrepancy was such then that Floyd could walk him down. Not much else to it.

I'm not sure what your argument is or the point of it. Do you think that there was a real competitive (non-freak incident) chance for McGregor in that fight? Where would you rank McGregor then currently in his weight? Have a look at the boxrec rankings and let us know where you think he might slot in i.e. where there'd be a good chance he could compete and beat fellas around that ranking.

There are levels and "gears" in any sport. I boxed but wouldn't have considered myself a "good" boxer. Still, the odd time you'd have a spar with some fella with a lot less experience........you just wouldn't step it up. Especially if they were novicey and in a club spar, they might be trying to take your head off. But you'd move around with them and not be that bothered. You wouldn't be trying to knock them out. I mean, you might be lax and let them even catch you once or twice but apart from catching you with a freaky lucky punch you'd be grand - because you have the gears anyway to control what is going on and you aren't threatened by it. Even if they did catch you with a big one, you'd just put them back in their box quickly by being a bit assertive for literally 2-3 seconds. And plenty of times in competitions, especially in multi-bout tournaments, you wouldn't bother stepping it up because you'd feel fairly comfortable and ahead on points so you'd just coast to the end - the equivalent of holding onto the ball and passing it between yourselves at the end of a soccer match I suppose.

It's also fairly common, especially when you have a boxer with a good pedigree, who is building his way up through journeymen, to be told by his coach not to knock out an opponent too early because the coach wants him to get a few rounds in. They do that when the opponent isn't a threat.

I never called him world class ?
    was responding to people saying it was a fix which I totally disagree with

Floyd did not " carry" Connor

It was a real fight that Floyd won as expected but he didn't take it easy on Connor or stretch the fight out , it was a real fight for the time it lasted,

Yes Floyd is levels above Connor but he took no chances and fought that fight in the same fashion as he has against multiply world champions ,

Start reserved and cautious see what the other man has , then work out the way that give him the highest % of winning , Zero moments left to chance,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I never called him world class ?
    was responding to people saying it was a fix which I totally disagree with

It was a real fight that Floyd won as expected but he didn't take it easy on Connor or stretch the fight out , it was a real fight for the time it lasted,

Yes Floyd is levels above Connor but he took no chances and fought that fight in the same fashion as he has against multiply world champions ,

Start reserved and cautious see what the other man has , then work out the way that give him the highest % of winning , Zero moments left to chance,

That bit isn't really true though, he walked forward with his hands up with no regard for what was being thrown at him. He never does this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Even when Conor had nothing left and was a punchbag Mayweather wasnt throwing heavy punches
    Compare it to his fights with Ortiz,Mosley,Hatton. Or any fight ever when he had someone in trouble. Conor wasnt even in trouble he was a walking punchbag at that stage
    They were sparring punches
    Clearly an exhibition

batman_oh wrote: »
    That bit isn't really true though, he walked forward with his hands up with no regard for what was being thrown at him. He never does this

I was speaking about how he started the fight,
    The first half he was his normal cautious self, getting reads and feeling what he was up against taking no chance

I agree once that feeling out process was done and he felt Connor slow down and the pop in his shots was gone he then and only then started to walk Connor down ,,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Keeler still laying the boot in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I agree with this 100%. It definitely was not a fix. Floyd without a doubt is level heads ahead in Boxing ability. He didn't give anything to Conor, and used his skill, experience and ring craft to pull away after the first few rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Oh ffs can yee stop talking about a fight that happened 2 year ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Keeler still laying the boot in

What's he said now?

What's he said now?

passive aggressive stuff now that's conor's camp are not taking up his offer. Such as he needs to sort his head out

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I agree with this 100%. It definitely was not a fix. Floyd without a doubt is level heads ahead in Boxing ability. He didn't give anything to Conor, and used his skill, experience and ring craft to pull away after the first few rounds.

And still made a damn meal out of beating a complete novice.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Who cares about the Floyd fight now. Mcgregor was at his peak physical fitness for it while Floyd barely trained, yet Floyd not only beat Mcgregor up he also gassed him out. Apart from the mega money he earned nothing good came from it, and seems the huge money may be a big reason for Conor downfall since.
    I wonder will Conor go to Abu Dhabi?? Probably not, but if he does he better behave himself, over there he won’t get away with what he has in US. I see Bisping has commented there isn’t much hype about this fight as there is no real needle between them. And that the biggest fight the ufc can make us Khabib vs Conor 2. I think Conor has to win at least once before he gets another title shot. Let’s hope a fight is announced soon. End of the year comeback is probably best hope now, doesn’t look like he can be back for MSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Floyd is risk averse. Always has been. It's part of his success.

Looking forward to the rematch and the build-up. Make it four rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Mayweather would win if it was MMA rules. What weapons does McGregor have? He's hardly going to get a kick KO or a tapoout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I'm pretty sure I would win if it was MMA rules, Flyod is a tiny tiny man.

• Advertisement

The bang of desperation here

Advertisement