Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 sunshine2022

Yup first time but I'm worried the photo will be rejected. If it does what happens is it usually a week or two extra I can live with!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Fairin

I’ve applied for my son’s first passport but mine is expired. As it is going to take so long for his to be issued, I am going to have to apply for mine to be renewed in the interim. But I’ve put my current expired passport number on the form. I included my original birth cert in the application and my husbands as well. Any idea whether my applying for a new passport would derail my son’s application? Thanks so much. I really appreciate the input of the very knowledgeable posters on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

This won’t interfere with either of the applications process

• Advertisement

Thank so much for taking the time to reply!! Really appreciate it

hello! I see from tweets to the Passport office that some applications at least are being put to the back of the queue if a new photo is required. So another 40 days from when the new photo is received. Though it might depend on how merciful the person dealing with your application is. I’m also terrified about the photo. Flights booked for 30 April , docs received 4 Feb. We didn’t know about the delays. Wishing us all luck!

I'll keep you updated my docs were received 4th Jan issue date is hopefully 10th March. Holiday booked for May 5th! I'll let you know when mine changes to Processing it's still at verifying documents.

Thank you, it would be so helpful to hear how people are getting on! It doesn’t seem from Twitter that anyone is getting a first time passport by the estimated issue date but maybe that is not the universal experience.

Media reports suggest that overtime has been approved for first time applications from last week so hopefully that will help us as I presume the new staff won’t be in in time for us.

Our documents were received on 4 Feb, first time online application for my Irish born son, both parents Irish so hopefully not too complex. 😬

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,307 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Did you receive the link for additional documents for first time passport in the mail?

I submitted my initial application a couple weeks ago but I'm stumped as to what to do next. The link I got sent in the email is broken and there is no section online that contains each of the additional documents needed in one place. All links seem to redirect to rabbit holes.

I did the online application (this is a first time application for my son, no idea about renewals) and then posted the hard copy documents. The requirements are set out on the website: https://www.dfa.ie/passports/documentary-requirements/.

if your query relates to additional documents requested after the initial docs have been submitted, I’m afraid I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 a090

Hi folks,

I still haven't received any update from the passport office on the status of my documents after more than a month of submitting them. The tracker still shows the same status as it was before submitting the documents "Alert - We have received your application. You must submit your supporting documents to proceed with the application."

I am thinking of taking a legal recourse at this point as even the nudges from the local TDs have not elicited any response from the passport office. Any idea how I can proceed on this legal route - should I engage with a solicitor, immigration lawyer (I'm non-Irish). Any advice and tips from the group would be appreciated. And also if you have recommendations for solicitors/lawyers who can help with the matter would be very welcome as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Do you have proof that they received them? That's the starting point. I've had stuff go missing in the post recently.

Second of all, I see no grounds for any legal action. You apply for a passport and you wait until it's granted.

Thirdly, recommendations of solicitors are not permitted on here afaik.

BTW I advised you last week to wait two weeks and then call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Friday 7th Jan - Applied online, Simple Renewal (I'm currently living in New Zealand), got an email the same day to say it was printing

Monday 10th Jan - Got an email with a tracking number to say it had been sent

Tuesday 11th Jan - Left An Post sorting centre in Dublin

Wednesday 26th Jan - Arrived at sorting centre in Auckland

NZ Post spent 2 weeks farting around with it, until I got pissed off and started ringing and emailing them the last couple of days. It eventually turned up at my work address today (10th Feb). But none of that is the Passport Office's fault. If I was based in Ireland, I fancy I would have had it in 3 or 4 days. Good service.

Thanks for your response and advice. Yes, I do have the proof that they received them. AnPost tracker shows that it's been delivered. I've the tracking number.

Secondly, to clarify again, I'm not looking to expedite the process in any way. I understand the high volume of requests. But not being able to get to the stage where they acknowledge the receipt of the documents to me is fairly unreasonable and by their own admission, it's unusual to take such a long time.

If not for specific recommendations, I'd love to hear any other POVs on my alternatives. I'm really hoping there are other channels to hold them accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭comment

Can’t comment on first time applications but applied for renewal online on Sunday and received passport on Tuesday (Dublin). So only one working day - impressive service.

a090, the right to travel and obtain a passport for this purpose is an unenumerated right protected by the Irish constitution. Query at what point the delay in the issue of a passport would amount to a breach of this right. Query also the impact on an argument that one’s right to travel has been denied if the complainant holds a valid passport from another country (if you do, spare a thought for those of us who are caught up in this with no option other than an Irish passport). The Irish legal system moves at a glacial pace so your passport will likely be issued for years before you get anywhere before the courts.

I think from looking at other posts that the tracker often doesn’t show that the documents have been received (you could try tweeting the passport office for confirmation of this). This and the fact that it is close to impossible to get through to the passport office are obviously unhelpful.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Same situation as you, applied for little ones first passport on Jan 12th and still saying awaiting supporting documents, rang them last week and they said they had documents but couldn't say what and that it's a glitch on the system.

I can stop checking so! 🤣

I’d be really interesting hear how your application goes, I’m about 2 weeks behind you. Good luck 🤞

• Advertisement

Thanks Fairin for the information on the possible lines of query. I don't have an Irish passport and my only original passport was submitted as part of the application - so I am pretty much stranded from that point. I also had to submit a resident permit - so a possible line of query is also this impacts my right to live and work in the state. It's disheartening to know that legal recourse would also yield no results but I have reached a point of desperation where I am knocking on all the doors. Already exhausted the TDs, Twitter, phone calls routes.

And thanks scudzilla - in my case, unfortunately, they have confirmed that they haven't been able to locate the documents yet and it's not because of any glitch due to which the tracker is not updated. However, would be curious to know when the status changes for you.

Gosh that is frustrating. You could engage a solicitor and perhaps a letter from a solicitor would help get engagement from the passport office?

Or could you try getting through again in the hope of getting someone else who might be better able to assist?

I didn't realize the passport waiting times are so bad. I have an 8-month-old baby and we have just started the application process for her.

The problem is we have a holiday booked for the 10th of May, does anyone think we will have trouble getting the passport sorted before then? I know people can't tell me for sure, just asking for an educated guess :D

You can see what date they give you once they register the documents and try ring/chat and advise of the dates - not sure if it works but it's worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

We applied on Jan 12th and have a holiday booked for May 22, slightly apprehensive about it, although the guy on the phone did say end of march so have 6/7wks to spare.... Maybe

Its absolutely outrageous that the phone number and the webchat doesn't work. They get away with bad service way too much in that department 😡

I got through to the passport office on the first attempt this morning 👍. They received our docs on 4 Feb, registered them on 7 Feb and estimated issue date of 13 April. Documents are not yet scanned and this will not happen soon. They said the estimated date is not a guarantee, can change and if there is any issue with the application, we go to the back of the queue. We have flights booked for 30 April. All prayers welcome🤞

Oh my god back to the back of the que seriously thats insane. Even for the photo??? Like it accepted mine but it was so difficult to get a 1 year old to stay quiet and look in every angle. So stressed about the photo getting rejected.

I see from tweets to the Passport office that some applications at least are being put to the back of the queue if a new photo is required. Though I think someone on this thread had a different experience so it might depend on who you get. I’m also terrified about the photo, (or that the guard didn’t fill out the log book or that my docs go missing). Here’s hoping our applications are ok and that the overtime will help speed everything up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Galway2018

Hoping for advice/ hrlp. I applied in December for my daughter 1st time application and got an email yesterday to say photo wasnt good enough and have to resubmit another photo. I got it done in the chemist properly this time. Only problem is I got actual hard copies of the photo but cant upload them now on resubmission form.

Just wondering can I send in the actual hard copy of the photos with my resubmission form or do they have to be digital photos. I spoke with pharmacy and they cant email me digital copies of the photo.

When I am completing the resubmission form it wont let me go any further without the digital photos

Advertisement