Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 oal22

Is it actually possible to get in touch with the passport office? I'm all day trying to ring and web chat and they have blocked my tweet. I sent an online renewal on April 18th and it's stating the day we are due to travel as the completion date.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

oal22 wrote: »
    Is it actually possible to get in touch with the passport office? I'm all day trying to ring and web chat and they have blocked my tweet. I sent an online renewal on April 18th and it's stating the day we are due to travel as the completion date.

Contact your local td, give them your application number and proof of travel. Like a lot of state organisations the passport office have a dedicated procedure to deal with queries from Oireachtas members.

oal22 wrote: »

Contact your local td, give them your application number and proof of travel. Like a lot of state organisations the passport office have a dedicated procedure to deal with queries from Oireachtas members.

probably a dumb question but this is my first time renewning my passport alone and...if I book tickets now, then renew my passport, do i need to update the airline before I travel? or does the passport number stay the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Number will change. There should be no need to provide the number until you are checking in a couple of days before you travel, usually 24-48 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Renew before you book anything. I doubt the passport number stays the same at all.

I intend to renew six months ahead of expiry, (which will be outside the Summer mayhem), have a little note on my e calendar somewhere to remind me!

It's an interesting question of timing I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Number will change. There should be no need to provide the number until you are checking in a couple of days before you travel, usually 24-48 hours.

That's true, never thought of that! But for other things a valid passport number may be required such as visa applications and six months forward validity and so on. Better to be sure than sorry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I just renewed my Irish passport recently and the number is different from old passport, so the number does not stay the same

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

Your passport will be a new one with different number, no relation between the old one and new one.

As stated above by someone else, you will need any Visas to reference the new one. Places like Vietnam, India or China, where you leave the passport with them for a few days for the Visa to be applied, they will need the new one, otherwise you will need to apply for another Visa !

Oh and if you have a valid US ESTA, you will need to get another one for the new passport, regardless of how long is left on the current ESTA.

And unless its a first passport application, you should use the online renewal option. Its really easy and very quick, even better than the An Post Passport Express service, both our our last renewals were back in 3 days, which is a brilliant service.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

To anyone who just renewed, assume you didn't have r
    to send back your old passport or passport card when you renewed online?

Both mine expire mid June, have various work and personal flights booked so going to apply online w/c 13/5 which I know is cutting it fine but given the online service seems to be pretty quick (busy summer time approaching I know).

I need to be able to travel while it's in though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

You need to return the old passport for cancellation with the application. They return it to you with your renewed passport.

You need to return the old passport for cancellation with the application. They return it to you with your renewed passport.

Not for online renewals!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Caranica wrote: »
    Not for online renewals!

That's not clear on DFA website under online renewal faq.

Q. Do I need to return my current passport to the Passport Service?

The requirement for you to send your current or expired passport to the Passport Service will depend on a number of factors (e.g. if your current passport book has more than 12 months validity remaining for an adult passport or 6 months for a child passport). You will be advised during the online application process if you are required to send in your current or expired passport.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

That's not clear on DFA website under online renewal faq.

Q. Do I need to return my current passport to the Passport Service?

The requirement for you to send your current or expired passport to the Passport Service will depend on a number of factors (e.g. if your current passport book has more than 12 months validity remaining for an adult passport or 6 months for a child passport). You will be advised during the online application process if you are required to send in your current or expired passport.

Thanks, yeah saw that online.

I won't have more than year left on old documents. Spoke to someone today who recently did it online and they didnt have to return theirs during the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cailin8

Renewed my passport online a few months ago, great service. Very fast, passport was received within 48 hrs of applying online. No need to return the old passports and able to take the photos on a smartphone and upload as part of the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I can't believe I've found myself here, I really thought I took spets to avoid this but I appied for 1st time passports for my two kids on the 31/3/19 and we are traveling the 16th of may 19. The passport tracker said dispatch the 6th of May, but today on the 7th, it still says processing.

Does anyone know what happens if they are not happy with the information sent? Do they get in touch straight away?
    Webchat is unavailable and I really dont want to be ringing them, it's only a holiday, not an emergency. If I knew all was in order and they are just waiting to print it, I'd be happy, but I'd be devastated if the whole application was just returned.

I'm just hoping that they will arrive some day without the tracker updating.

By the way, I renewed my own passport online on the 31st of March had it Wednesday the 2nd of April, great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭gussieg

im waiting too, after applying online as my passport was within 5 years since expiry date, but they posted back my apllication so i had to go the long route, got photos signed and stamped form at the garda station, went online to chekc and it says not processed til a week after my travel dates.
    i called, and it did take a while , but she suggested trying to call again tomorrow or the next day, would love to be able to go am booked on a ferry , would i be good to go with my id and drivers licence i wonder..

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

gussieg wrote: »
    would love to be able to go am booked on a ferry , would i be good to go with my id and drivers licence i wonder..

If traveling to the UK you’d be fine with photo Id such as a driving license as it’s the common travel area. If France a passport would be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭glaswegian

Hi all, I have the forms to apply for my first irish passport, I find filling the forms in a tad confusing as I have citizenship through my Irish grandmother,the form asks for certificates from Irish born parents not grandparents,do I still have to send the certs re grandparents?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I would contact passport office directly https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/our-locations-and-opening-hours/

I would imagine you will need your grandparents documents if your parents weren't citizens of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Gally05

correct me if im wrong but the 03/05 has long since passed and we are still waiting on my sons passport.

there is actually no way to get in contct with the passport office .

we travel on the 18th may (holidays booked based on information and date they gave us that we would have the passport)

complete shambles ... and no one is returning emails or phone calls to us.

what twitter handle do they use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭gussieg

if you have speakerphone turn it on and jjust wait . took me over ten minutes to get through yesterday may help i dont know . maybe i can go on the dogs passport

got through on phone - they told us it will be another week and a half .. (even though they should have sent it to us a week ago)

local TD time !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

for you, the important info
    Citizenship through descent from Irish grandparents
    If one of your grandparents is an Irish citizen who was born in Ireland, but neither of your parents was born in Ireland, you may become an Irish citizen. You will need to have your birth registered in the Foreign Births Register
    <snip>
    Once the process is completed, you will be provided with a certificate confirming your entry in the Irish Register of Foreign Births. This certificate can be used as proof of Irish citizenship when applying for an Irish passport.

Please note that Irish passport applications cannot be accepted at the same time as citizenship applications - these are 2 very distinct processes.
    see here: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

Hello,

Does anybody know if the passport office will return original documents sent in for a first time application (such as passport from another country, original birth certs etc) before the application is complete? Or do they send everything back together at the end of the process with the new passport?

Keenly awaiting any sort of passport to come back to allow booking of flights!

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

daggy wrote: »
    Hello,

Does anybody know if the passport office will return original documents sent in for a first time application (such as passport from another country, original birth certs etc) before the application is complete? Or do they send everything back together at the end of the process with the new passport?

Keenly awaiting any sort of passport to come back to allow booking of flights!

Thank you :)

When I needed to submit docs for a passport everything came back together.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Gally05 wrote: »
    got through on phone - they told us it will be another week and a half .. (even though they should have sent it to us a week ago)

local TD time !!

Usually the minor's passport takes a month time. Same was the case for me and few more; we have discussed about this a few pages before in this thread.

mac.in wrote: »
    Usually the minor's passport takes a month time. Same was the case for me and few more; we have discussed about this a few pages before in this thread.

they have it over a month

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

From what I recall, I got everything back at the same time. Presumably they need to keep the documents until they've issued the passport, as it's part of the application.

There would be no harm asking the passport office, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Do you have a scan or photocopy of your foreign passport that you could use to book flights? Or do you have the details saved anywhere in an old booking, email etc?

Advertisement