Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Waythrow123456

If this is not the right place, please move it to a more appropriate forum.

Looking for some advice for a non-Boardie. They are currently 17, but will be turning 18 in a few months (September). However, their passport has expired (March). They are debating whether to ask their parents to renew their Children's passport, or wait until they turn 18, and do it then.

From what they can see, if they get the Children's passport, it is only valid for 5 years, while if they wait until they turn 18, it will be valid for 10 years. Additionally, they have been told by a Garda, at their local station, that the Children's passport will not be valid after they turn 18, and that they will need to get a new passport then.

From looking on the DFAT website, there does not seem to be any information on this particular scenario.

Does anybody know what the answer is, in terms of the Garda statement that they would need to get a new passport issued after they turn 18, or can they still use the Children's passport until it expires?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Surely the answer is that it depends on whether they will need it to travel before they turn 18? If so then they apply as an under 18, if not they get an adult passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If this is not the right place, please move it to a more appropriate forum.

Looking for some advice for a non-Boardie. They are currently 17, but will be turning 18 in a few months (September). However, their passport has expired (March). They are debating whether to ask their parents to renew their Children's passport, or wait until they turn 18, and do it then.

From what they can see, if they get the Children's passport, it is only valid for 5 years, while if they wait until they turn 18, it will be valid for 10 years. Additionally, they have been told by a Garda, at their local station, that the Children's passport will not be valid after they turn 18, and that they will need to get a new passport then.

From looking on the DFAT website, there does not seem to be any information on this particular scenario.

Does anybody know what the answer is, in terms of the Garda statement that they would need to get a new passport issued after they turn 18, or can they still use the Children's passport until it expires?

The passport will be valid for 5 years until 2024. The Garda is talking out of his/her ass. Don’t forget , Gardai only witness passport applications, they don’t process them.

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Just a warning to anyone re the online renewal:

If your passport number has only 1 letter in it, you can't renew online and you have to do a standard paper renewal. I only found this out recently.

It doesn't say this anywhere that I have seen and as your call is not important to them you may have to wait like a tool on the chat line for 30mins to find out.

How Irish is that!

When you go to renew online it tells you what you need and it mentions it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

The online fee for a passport renewal for a child is €20.00 and it’s valid for 5 years. (There is an additional €5 postal fee for each child application to cover the cost of returning documents to the applicant).

The online fee for a passport renewal for an adult is €75.00 and it’s valid for 10 years.

As the applicant is 17, the child passport would be valid until aged 22.

• Advertisement

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    And your point?

Are you implying that because you were asked that question, that everyone is?

Yes everyone is asked the same question. If you skipped through the questions then that’s your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I bring students on school tour where most of them are around 16-17 and many are getting passports for the first time. They are valid for 5 years.

It largely depends on whether this 17 year old needs to travel in the next 6 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭kindalen

Much cheaper to get a child passport, adult one is about twice as much per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Edit: nevermind it worked on my phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

You are doing it wrong.

You need to apply for a new passport and then opt for the bundle of passport and passport card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

You are doing it wrong.

You need to apply for a new passport and then opt for the bundle of passport and passport card.

Can you explain more?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

Hi All,

My passport expires May 31st. What is the current turnaround time for online renewal?

(Bonus question: Validity is limited to 2 years because of youthful follies. Is there any way I can finally get a 10 year?)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

I applied for mine online this Monday and received it in the post today.

I called after applying on Monday as I need the passport soon. But I was not given any indication I would be prioritised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

48 hours is the average turnaround for online applications.

You should now get 10 years with the online application.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Hi All,

My 3 year old's passport expiry date is less than 3 months from the date we were supposed to return from Doha which prevented us from boarding our flight earlier today. The agents are going to rebook us onto a flight either Tuesday or Wednesday depending on when we can get a new passport.

Will the passport office issue us with a new passport based on us supposed to fly today with today's documentation or will I need to be issued with another confirmed booking first ? Our outbound and inbound flights are obviously on the booking confirmation and they will rebook once we secure a passport ?

Have everything in place to get a passport on Tuesday all going well.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Being realistic it's going to be Wednesday at the earliest before you travel. Same day passports are officially only issued in cases of travel emergencies. Unless someone has died or is critically ill you're very unlikely to get one.

The other thing is that of the cases I know where passports have been rushed they've been available for collection after 4pm so that's also going to affect your trip as you'd need a nighttime outbound flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Raekwondo

So today I paid and sent off my damaged passport along with the cover letter required for a new passport and also a passport card. Have a flight on 24th of May so would need it by then. Online applications take 10 days according to their site just wondering if anyone has any recent experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bigbadpat

I recently renewed using the online application quoting the ref no of the required digital photo taken in a photo shop.
    Turn round time 5 days.

My son used the same method two weeks earlier and his took 9 days.

I would say you should be OK. Its mainly a delay in first time manual applications.

bigbadpat wrote: »
    I recently renewed using the online application quoting the ref no of the required digital photo taken in a photo shop.
    Turn round time 5 days.

My son used the same method two weeks earlier and his took 9 days.

I would say you should be OK. Its mainly a delay in first time manual applications.

Oh that would be great. Were yours just a standard renewal or replacing damaged ones? I'd assume damaged take a bit longer. Anyway 20 working days from when I sent it to my flight so should be good.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

What was the damage OP? My passport was in my pocket too long and the printed gold bits have all but rubbed off, freaking out about it not being valid anymore, even though it's brand new so it has all the data scanning bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The gold paint is not required. Used my last passport "plain" for years.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

L1011 wrote: »
    The gold paint is not required. Used my last passport "plain" for years.

A weight off my mind, thanks.

Sorry for the hijack OP :P Best of luck with it.

ogsjw wrote: »
    What was the damage OP? My passport was in my pocket too long and the printed gold bits have all but rubbed off, freaking out about it not being valid anymore, even though it's brand new so it has all the data scanning bits.

Trust me mine is way worse :P Left it in my pocket during a hot wash and when the missus took it out it was in some state, pages ripped, half of the cover hanging off. Was a mess haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tomas81

If someone has lost their passport can they still apply online for a new one or do they need to go through the old way, Garda station, post office etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Tomas81 wrote: »
    If someone has lost their passport can they still apply online for a new one or do they need to go through the old way, Garda station, post office etc?

You can apply on line, if you Googled it, you would have found this information
    https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/lost-stolen-or-damaged-passport/

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tomas81

You can apply on line, if you Googled it, you would have found this information
    https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/lost-stolen-or-damaged-passport/

Thanks but sure you answered so no need to Google

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

Hi all..

I have an appointment tomorrow morning to get my 8 months old first passport as were going away next Friday unexpectedly. I got sent the usual checklist that I need for tomorrow.

It says bring printed travel proof. Can I not just show them it on my phone email instead of a print out?

And also I am his dad and it says need my marriage cert and my birth cert.. why do I need both?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

Hi all..

I have an appointment tomorrow morning to get my 8 months old first passport as were going away next Friday unexpectedly. I got sent the usual checklist that I need for tomorrow.

It says bring printed travel proof. Can I not just show them it on my phone email instead of a print out?

And also I am his dad and it says need my marriage cert and my birth cert.. why do I need both?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

According to their website you only need a marriage cert if the child was born abroad.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/documentary-requirements-passport-applications/

For the travel arrangements I suppose that they may keep a copy of the documentation and so would require a hard copy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 DevL

Hi there, would appreciate some insight on whether you think my passport will be issued in time for a trip at end of next week. I submitted passport online renewal (current passport expiring within 6mo) on April 12, estimated issue date at that time of Apr 29.

Last Friday (Apr 26), received an email stating a new photo was needed - had a new one taken and submitted it within 90 minutes of receiving email, but the email I received stated a further 10 working days minimum processing time. I called the passport office last Friday eve and let them know I really needed the passport issued this week. I was told a note was put on the file which may speed things up.

When I checked yesterday, the online tracker estimated issue date was 10 May; when I check again today it has gone back to Apr 29 (i.e. yesterday). No answer from the passport office.

Does anyone have any insight into the process and give a sense of whether they think my passport will be issued (to be posted to the UK) by end of this week?

Advertisement