Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei P30/P30 Pro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Cotts72 wrote: »
    caught in two minds about the OP7 Pro v the P30 Pro,the camera in the p30 being a big draw but the screen and OS being scrutinized in some reviews. Has anyone moved from one to the other that can somewhat advise

I've the P30 Pro. The camera is just fantastic. I've taken photos that people think came from a DSLR.

The screen is perfect, I came from an S8 and honestly, I don't see much of a difference. The screen is still FHD and to 99% of us, the quality is fantastic.

At first I found EMUI a little awkward, but its been 3 weeks now and its grown on me. It was awkward because I was so used to my Samsung but the gestures and that are incredibly useful.

I was also looking at the OP7, again its also a great phone but the lack of an IP rating steered me away.

Any questions you have about the P30 Pro I'd be happy to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

I've the P30 Pro. The camera is just fantastic. I've taken photos that people think came from a DSLR.

The screen is perfect, I came from an S8 and honestly, I don't see much of a difference. The screen is still FHD and to 99% of us, the quality is fantastic.

At first I found EMUI a little awkward, but its been 3 weeks now and its grown on me. It was awkward because I was so used to my Samsung but the gestures and that are incredibly useful.

I was also looking at the OP7, again its also a great phone but the lack of an IP rating steered me away.

How do you find the fact it has no physical connection for headphones like 3.5mm aux

kala85 wrote: »
    How do you find the fact it has no physical connection for headphones like 3.5mm aux

Grand actually, got a cheap adapter on amazon for my car's AUX. The battery is amazing so I'm not charging it as much as I used to charge my S8.

Generally the USB-C port is free for 99.9% of the time as charging doesn't take long at all, will charge 60% in about 25 minutes or less if not using the phone.

I generally stick it on charge every second night an hour before heading to bed and its good to go for another 2 full days. Could easily get a 3rd day out of it. I find after two full days of constantly using it, its around 40% battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

I hope they improved the quality of the charging port over the P10. I've the P10 Plus for nearly 2 years (upgrade to the P30 Pro incoming) but for the last 6-9 months, it's been a PITA to charge. Won't hold cable and won't super-charge. I'm not an animal with it either before you ask.

I was also considering the OP7 but that pop-up camera is too liable to be broken by accident, IMO.

Pique wrote: »
    I hope they improved the quality of the charging port over the P10. I've the P10 Plus for nearly 2 years (upgrade to the P30 Pro incoming) but for the last 6-9 months, it's been a PITA to charge. Won't hold cable and won't super-charge. I'm not an animal with it either before you ask.

I was also considering the OP7 but that pop-up camera is too liable to be broken by accident, IMO.

Charging port feels pretty solid at the moment. Had that issue with my s8 after 2 years also.

Yeah that pop up camera I don't like at all!

Not promoting my photos but if ye want a real life idea of what the camera is like, took this yesterday on the p30 pro:

48259697491_dc3c826bb3_b.jpgSunset over Annestown by Lee Mahoney, on Flickr

Click the image to get the full original size. The camera is just fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Charging port feels pretty solid at the moment. Had that issue with my s8 after 2 years also.

Yeah that pop up camera I don't like at all!

Not promoting my photos but if ye want a real life idea of what the camera is like, took this yesterday on the p30 pro:

48259697491_dc3c826bb3_b.jpgSunset over Annestown by Lee Mahoney, on Flickr

Click the image to get the full original size. The camera is just fantastic.

In my opinion that image is very heavily saturated, enhanced and not natural looking at all. Just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

IrishHomer wrote: »
    In my opinion that image is very heavily saturated, enhanced and not natural looking at all. Just my opinion

and i agree.
    saying that, i am really tempted to get this phone still....i'd like to see that photo with a.i. turned off and no enhancements

Apologies didn't have the unedited version last night. Here it is:

485135.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

First one looks like a postcard, and that's not a criticism.

Second one is insane for a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Meathcat

Thanks for the information there. I am really torn on ordering the P30 Pro. I really want it but the issues with Google concern me. However, I also feel that I can actually survive without Google services on a phone if it came to it. Ironically, it is the camera that is making me want the P30 Pro, not it's communication abilities :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 _Poppy_

Hi, I bought the p30 at the weekend and have been using it since. Very happy with it so far but there's one thing I can't figure out.. The what's app icon doesn't display on the AOD screen for any notifications. I've reviewed what's app and system settings and have tried changing different settings but I can't seem to get it to show.. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks in advance

Meathcat wrote: »
    Thanks for the information there. I am really torn on ordering the P30 Pro. I really want it but the issues with Google concern me. However, I also feel that I can actually survive without Google services on a phone if it came to it. Ironically, it is the camera that is making me want the P30 Pro, not it's communication abilities :p

As far as I know all has been sorted between the US and China and that the Google ban will no longer apply.

_Poppy_ wrote: »
    Hi, I bought the p30 at the weekend and have been using it since. Very happy with it so far but there's one thing I can't figure out.. The what's app icon doesn't display on the AOD screen for any notifications. I've reviewed what's app and system settings and have tried changing different settings but I can't seem to get it to show.. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks in advance

Just checked and its the same on mine for some strange reason, must be an issue with the app I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

As far as I know all has been sorted between the US and China and that the Google ban will no longer apply.

I didn't hear that...?

py2006 wrote: »
    I didn't hear that...?

Sorry, didn't look up all the facts. Although its looking likely the ban will not be an issue for the future.

https://www.standard.co.uk/tech/huawei-google-ban-uk-5g-network-android-users-a4195126.html

I'm not getting worried anyways.

may i ask what people here use for screen protection ?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

anyone know if it is possible to control music or videos playing to bluetooth headphones via the GT watch? what i was hoping to do is to select the next song or video via the watch rather than taking the phone out of a pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Any information on how to claim the free watch ? didn't get any information with it and eir is not listed on the site as carrier in UK

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    Any information on how to claim the free watch ? didn't get any information with it and eir is not listed on the site as carrier in UK

i got mine in an eir shop in wilton, cork last saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

What's the free watch like? Is it any good?

• Advertisement

kala85 wrote: »
    What's the free watch like? Is it any good?

if i was paying for one then i probably would have gone for the Samsung galaxy but the battery life is very good and the fitness tracking is very good, i would have liked a better choice for the faces.

kenny111 wrote: »
    if i was paying for one then i probably would have gone for the Samsung galaxy but the battery life is very good and the fitness tracking is very good, i would have liked a better choice for the faces.

has it got always on display....i heard it was recently added in an update but only for some...maybe region dependant ?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

kenny111 wrote: »
    i got mine in an eir shop in wilton, cork last saturday.

With the phone ?or did you have to wait til after cooling off period or anything ?

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    With the phone ?or did you have to wait til after cooling off period or anything ?

got the watch there and then , i didn't even had to ask for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I am moving abroad next month and will need a new phone when I arrive. I am between an S10e and a Huawei P30. I have a S7 currently which I love but I'll keep it for my Irish number. My hands are small enough hence why I was thinking the s10e but I am open to my mind being changed. Anyone have an opinion between the two?

also...how are the networks here on the latest software updates for the p30 pro ?

dougm1970 wrote: »
    also...how are the networks here on the latest software updates for the p30 pro ?

I'm on Vodafone and the updates come through pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I'm on Vodafone and the updates come through pretty quick.

Are you on version 9.1.0.124 with Vodafone? I am still on 9.1.0.115.

zubair wrote: »
    Are you on version 9.1.0.124 with Vodafone? I am still on 9.1.0.115.

9.1.0.178 actually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

9.1.0.178 actually!

Are you using Hisuite to update?

Advertisement