Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei P30/P30 Pro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

zubair wrote: »
    Are you using Hisuite to update?

Nope have it set on the phone to update overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Keith186

Same version here via OTA on Eir network on SIM free version bought from 3. 5th June security patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

9.1.0.178 actually!

9.1.0.185 now available on eir, the phone only delivered and switched on today.

Camera update, security plus something else with 4.7gb so pretty big. Probably because it includes all other updates from my fresh .124 version.

For those who asked about gt watch and eir it was delivered together with the phone after online upgrade. It is nice actually, not just because it was free ;)

Took me ages to make it display messages, though. Real pain...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

after seeing the galaxy note 10 announcement its made my mind up to get a p30 pro.
    vodafone had an offer on 60 euro a month plan where it was 150 off the 199 phone price when coming from another network, but i see thats changed to 50 off today.....i was almost tempted.....but i really dont want to go over 45 a month...i know not much in it monthly but just the limit i've set on bill.

dougm1970 wrote: »
    after seeing the galaxy note 10 announcement its made my mind up to get a p30 pro.
    vodafone had an offer on 60 euro a month plan where it was 150 off the 199 phone price when coming from another network, but i see thats changed to 50 off today.....i was almost tempted.....but i really dont want to go over 45 a month...i know not much in it monthly but just the limit i've set on bill.

I wasn't sure if that's the right time to upgrade but my phone, p20pro, was in bits, so went over my monthly budget, too, but:

Brand new p30, which just fits my hands better than pro and has a jack, all for 99euro + 55 a month for a year(12 months contract) . And free watch that I normally wouldn't think of much, but why not.

The total cost over a year will be 660+99 for the phone with potentially 15-30 euro a year for unexpected international, localls calls etc.

Worst case scenario is 789 euro for p30 and gt watch with unlimited everything for a year.

Spigen lite armor cover ordered for 25, and that's all. Happy with the deal. The free watch sweetens it all :)

• Advertisement

free on 60 a month with 3...via carphone warehouse...but....

that carphone warehouse exclusive is only for new 3 customers getting a new number....for those like me with an existing 3 number that needs to be ported....its 99 euros....(i am on a sim only plan...30euros a month rolling)....can any you think of a way i could get the deal and somehow keep the number ?

https://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/shop/phones-plans/all-phones/huawei-p30-pro/4743/2/4747/32

ok...so 3 may be offering me a "deal" before monday...i'm hoping for 60 a month contract and phone (p30 pro) free and keep my number...seemingly they will do it, but they will confirm before monday.

so...i have a few last minute questions for other users of this phone...based on issues i see posted online..

1. are you getting all notifications ok ?
    2. is the wifi working ok and solid ?...a lot report wifi not connecting a lot.
    3. is the video recording as choppy as the youtube reviews make it look ?....i'm more interested in how it'll be at 720p as thats all i'll use.
    4. the photos...are you happy with quality ?....seems to be a tint on all the photos i see from it...like a filter effect...i'd like to know more about the a.i. and if that can be turned off..or if updates have made photos more natural looking as has been reported in reviews.
    5. i havent not had a headphone jack before...is the dongle ok ?....is bluetooth to headphones ok ?
    6. any recommendations on screen protectors ?
    7. is the battery as good as been reported ?
    8. is the speaker loud enough ?

a lot of questions......thanks in advance for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

1. are you getting all notifications ok ?
    Yes, you just have to play around with the settings to make sure whatever app you want notifications from isn't put to sleep
    2. is the wifi working ok and solid ?...a lot report wifi not connecting a lot.
    It's fine
    3. is the video recording as choppy as the youtube reviews make it look ?....i'm more interested in how it'll be at 720p as thats all i'll use.
    Seems good with any videos I've taken
    4. the photos...are you happy with quality ?....seems to be a tint on all the photos i see from it...like a filter effect...i'd like to know more about the a.i. and if that can be turned off..or if updates have made photos more natural looking as has been reported in reviews.
    Photo quality is best I've ever had on a phone. You can turn off AI
    5. i havent not had a headphone jack before...is the dongle ok ?....is bluetooth to headphones ok ?
    Audio is fine, I use dongle for my QC25s
    6. any recommendations on screen protectors ?
    Mine came with one they put on for me in a three store. I didn't like it as it had black borders around the edges. I eventually just took it off after a couple of months
    7. is the battery as good as been reported ?
    Battery is best I've ever had on a phone, get 2 days no problem
    8. is the speaker loud enough ?
    Perfectly fine for me, I don't use it to listen to music though if that's what you're after

• Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Will this phone be gonig onto Harmony OS anytime soon?
    Also what will the implications of this be, is it likely to be able to access the play store?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Will this phone be gonig onto Harmony OS anytime soon?
    Also what will the implications of this be, is it likely to be able to access the play store?

My guess is the whole thing looks like a brexit. Something happened, but nothing happened at the same time. By the time you are out of contract you will probably forget about the whole thing.

Google will not let it happen. Just a guess.

• Advertisement

thanks for all those answers.......also...when using navigation gestures, does this ever cause confusion in apps where you swipe in from left to show a menu ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

thanks for all those answers.......also...when using navigation gestures, does this ever cause confusion in apps where you swipe in from left to show a menu ?

Yes, I use sync for reddit and a few other apps the have swipe in from side actions. I disabled it pretty quickly

the emui 10 (android q) beta looks great...released on sept 8th...but how do you, or is it available, to get on a carrier phone like 3, where updates are usually way later due to being checked for compatibility by carrier.
    with betas, does it have to be an unlocked non-carrier phone, or is there an enroll system to get it on release date on any phone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

I am stuck on choosing between a galaxy s10+ and the P30 pro - upgrade due end of this month.

Currently have an S8 but want a bigger phone.

On vodafone and sticking with them -the s10 plus 150 more than the p30 pro, and the free watch is a nice bonus with the P30 pro.

Only thing that has me in two minds is the difference in screen resolution. I travel quite a bit and use phone often for watching movies etc and I see the s10plus on paper has a superior QHD spec.

How do you p30 pro users find the display? I'm thinking it's still great and QHD v FHD on a six inch screen is not barely that noticeable?

Stepping up from an S8 would hope I'll be impressed regardless with the P30 pro

Appreciate thoughts!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

elbyrneo wrote: »
    I am stuck on choosing between a galaxy s10+ and the P30 pro - upgrade due end of this month.

On vodafone and sticking with them -the s10 plus 150 more than the p30 pro, and the free watch is a nice bonus with the P30 pro.

Only thing that has me in two minds is the difference in screen resolution. I travel quite a bit and use phone often for watching movies etc and I see the s10plus on paper has a superior QHD spec.

How do you p30 pro users find the display? I'm thinking it's still great and QHD v FHD on a six inch screen is not barely that noticeable?

Appreciate thoughts!

What's the monthly cost with Vodafone?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

got a software update yesterday on eir .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Should i get this phone at 99e on bill in eir or should I wait until the p40 pro comes out in April.

I would prefer to have a proper aux for ear phones

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

What's the monthly cost with Vodafone?

Can get the p30 pro on my current plan (Red, 60 p.m.) for 200/eur with free huawei gt watch.

Can get the s10+ on the same plan for 350

Display is the only thing concerning me on the p30pro. Advice appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

kala85 wrote: »
    Should i get this phone at 99e on bill in eir or should I wait until the p40 pro comes out in April.

I would prefer to have a proper aux for ear phones

What about Mate P30 Pro in maybe October?

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    got a software update yesterday on eir .

will the beta Q update released on sept 8th for p30 / pro be available for carrier phones, like 3, eir, vodafone etc ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭GIMP

Can get the p30 pro on my current plan (Red, 60 p.m.) for 200/eur with free huawei gt watch.

Can get the s10+ on the same plan for 350

Display is the only thing concerning me on the p30pro. Advice appreciated!

Have the Pro30 plus since July, excellent phone no issues could be a bit brighter in full on sunshine outside, Samsung S10+ has a better screen but I wasn't willing to pay 350e for it, Huawei is identical in most ways for 199e. Its a no brainer and they update software at a very frequent rate.

GIMP wrote: »
    Have the Pro30 plus since July, excellent phone no issues could be a bit brighter in full on sunshine outside, Samsung S10+ has a better screen but I wasn't willing to pay 350e for it, Huawei is identical in most ways for 199e. Its a no brainer and they update software at a very frequent rate.

you get the stutter on video recording or was this addressed in an update ?

ordered my p30 pro with 3 at 11am yesterday...they said its guaranteed next day delivery if ordered before 1pm so i will have it today.....track and trace tells me its stuck in ballbriggan..i'm in sligo....wait till monday now....raging, was hoping to get time setting it up and playing with it over the weekend.

my s8+ is still good...i'll lose headphone jack but gain battery life and zoom on camera...hope it feels like an upgrade when i get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Appreciate thoughts!
    I'd be surprised if you noticed the difference in screen quality tbh. The battery does seem to be better on the P30 pro which might be important if you travel. The p30 pro also charges fully in half the time which is handy if you have limited time in an airport.
    It has some annoyances, the screen brightness sets to automatic every time the phone goes into standby and you can't override this, depending on how you use it, this could be annoying. And the whole android security thing could be an issue. Or you might hate the EMUI software. Another thing could be the headphone jack, none on the p30 pro

ok..got mine...at last...p30 pro....touching on last post the first thing to bug me a little was auto brightness...i have it turned off....but when i wake the phone it flashes bright for a split second and dims.
    any workaround at all ?
    screen is a lot brighter on my old s8+....but sound superior on p30 pro and of course camera which i havent fully played with yet.

ok..got mine...at last...p30 pro....touching on last post the first thing to bug me a little was auto brightness...i have it turned off....but when i wake the phone it flashes bright for a split second and dims.
    any workaround at all ?
    screen is a lot brighter on my old s8+....but sound superior on p30 pro and of course camera which i havent fully played with yet.

I don't think there's a workaround on the screen brightness thing. It was something I noticed, but didn't particularly bother me. Saw a post on it somewhere else and it really annoyed some people.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I don't think there's a workaround on the screen brightness thing. It was something I noticed, but didn't particularly bother me. Saw a post on it somewhere else and it really annoyed some people.

its a shame as it is actually something that would annoy me....even on full brightness it does it, like it has the capability to be even brighter than setting on full...its the flicker from a second of bright to lesser bright, albeit a split second, which bugs me.

i like emui more than i expected though

its a shame as it is actually something that would annoy me....even on full brightness it does it, like it has the capability to be even brighter than setting on full...its the flicker from a second of bright to lesser bright, albeit a split second, which bugs me.

i like emui more than i expected though

Nothing on the phone actually bothers me. EMUI is fine (I use nova launcher) I heard of people complaining about the icons in the last update. nothing happened for me with the launcher. If I could change anything I'd probably go for a flat screen rather than a bezeled one.

think have worked around screen dimming.
    it doesnt seem to get as bright as my s8+...but then its a much better display in that whites are white, i only now notice how warm the whites on my s8+ are.
    i tried video round the house and was very impressed, no jitter like expected on panning...but yet to try it outside....afraid to take it out, got no cover yet and its like a bar of soap.

actually...so far...very impressed....only day 1 though.

After ages messing with settings I found if you set the below in Developer Settings the dimming will stop. If you restart your phone you have to toggle the auto brightness off but the other settings stay as before.

• Advertisement

Second setting

Advertisement