Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

robbiezero wrote: »
    Realistically how could they be knackered this early in the year?
    The hunger might be gone out of them a bit alright. Conor Cooneys form is probably a big factor in their decline. He was outstanding in 2017 and has been really poor since.

The current Galway squad have been going hard the past 4 seasons, 3 AI finals in that time. I'd say a bit of tiredness crept in. This plus the fact that key players were either injured or lost form or weren't available until later in the season (e.g. Joe Cooney, Glynn, Daithi Burke). It's disappointing for Galway to be out but no great surprise, given their form all season (bar KK game last week) has been iffy. Albeit the league, when Waterford were beating them, it didn't auger well.

Of the above reasons, loss of form was the big one; only Cathal Mannion and Whelan in attack could be happy with the season, though Glynn manfully made his mark also. Things from midfield back were bad - HB line struggled; P Mannion hasn't been at his normal level but McInerney's form has fallen off a cliff altogether. FB line has looked unsettled too.

I don't think Galway are too old to make a mark again next year, and I have a feeling mgmt will stay on, but new blood to challenge existing first teamers must be introduced. The minor winners from '15,'17,'18 should be coming through to bolster reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Nic_Col wrote: »
    Absolutely. If that's how teams see fit to set the tone or lay down markers as was suggested then it won't be long before all non physio/water and hurley carrier personnel are required to spend the full game in the stand.

Controlled aggression is the key. O'Connor wasn't laying down a marker, he just simply lost control. I'm not saying hang the guy but what he did can't be condoned.

Agree with you 100% and I said he'll be rightfully sanctioned. The point I was simply making was that when you come off 2 absolutely woeful performances like Clare produced, the year after you were so close to getting to an all ireland final, then a lot of the clare supporters didn't mind too much seeing O'Connor being as fired up as he was.

So yes, from a general hurling supporters point of view what he did was totally wrong, there's no place for it and he will be punished but, put in context based on where we were, there isn't too many clare supporters who are too 'upset' over what he did.

Hope that explains where I'm coming from - it's not at all a justification for what he did.

The initial poster who quoted me went on about how Clare supporters are happy with the last 3 years when I was quite clearly only discussing that particular incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    Kearney whatever he may or may not have done is one of thirty players on the field of play and has abs. no bearing on GOC's behaviour.

If every manager who is aggrieved about a perceived refereeing injustice behaved in such a way where would that leave us?

Tbh i was more disappointed with Daly's reaction but he had been calling for a reaction in his newspaper columns and attempting to stir it up so I wasn't surprised.

I said nothing in defence of Daly or O'Connor. I'm over seven and I know the difference between right and wrong.
    I asked if anybody knows about the alleged Kearney escape from red because I didn't see it. Does anybody know?
    It's very difficult to get straight answers to straight questions in this thread, but very easy to get sidetracked into tribalistic polemics.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    As a tipp man i have to agree on the chant, its shocking and it dies after a few seconds each time luckily i suppose.

As a Clareman I don't like it when our supporters go "Clare! Clare! Clare!" either.
    I doesn't sound good and repeating a short word quickly like that uses a lot of air for minimal impact; like the Tipp one you can't keep it up for long.

Two syllable names are best for chanting, like "Gal-way" or changing codes all the "-ster" provinces in rugby.

It's possible I've thought about this too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

As a Clareman I don't like it when our supporters go "Clare! Clare! Clare!" either.
    I doesn't sound good and repeating a short word quickly like that uses a lot of air for minimal impact; like the Tipp one you can't keep it up for long.

Two syllable names are best for chanting, like "Gal-way" or changing codes all the "-ster" provinces in rugby.

It's possible I've thought about this too much.

:)

You are in good company!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Definitely Clare look to have went backwards
    You couldn't see them putting together a string of runs to win it any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    Suck it up then.

Pyrrhic victory for Clare.

At least they'll have some momentum to take into the Munster Hurling League next winter.

I don't think you know what a phyrric victory is.

It means the act of winning the battle does so much damage you loose the war. Clare lost the "war" because of how badly Limerick and Tipp beat us, not because we put too much into beating Cork.

A phyrric victory for Clare might be the '98 Munster final replay: we beat Waterford but the fallout affected the rest of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Anthony talking gibberish that limerick could have done more for Clare on Sunday

Nothing to with Clare throwing the towel in the week before I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

C__MC wrote: »
    Anthony talking gibberish that limerick could have done more for Clare on Sunday

Nothing to with Clare throwing the towel in the week before I suppose

Get Loughnane very sore about it too writing in the Sun or Star or some such rag. To be fair to Kiely he wasn’t trying to play a B team to throw the game. He was trying to create more competition for places by proving he could win with the team chosen. It backfired and proved that Limerick don’t have the strength in depth that was being touted. At least he learnt that much and for rest of year the first 15 is pretty clear bar 1 or 2 spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

slegs wrote: »
    Get Loughnane very sore about it too writing in the Sun or Star or some such rag. To be fair to Kiely he wasn’t trying to play a B team to throw the game. He was trying to create more competition for places by proving he could win with the team chosen. It backfired and proved that Limerick don’t have the strength in depth that was being touted. At least he learnt that much and for rest of year the first 15 is pretty clear bar 1 or 2 spots.

Thankfully Loughnane is off the TV and his articles in that rag are easily avoided. Clare have nobody to blame but themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭robbiezero

slegs wrote: »

Limerick had played 2 effectively knockout games v Clare and Waterford and while the scoreline shows that they won both easily, they still brought a huge ferocity and work-rate to both games.
    Conceding 10 points and 13 points respectively shows just how much they suffocated their opposition - Carlows average score was around 18 points just to compare.
    They would have expended a huge amount of mental and physical energy on both these games and I'd say Kiely knew that playing the same 15 as the previous week would have them very flat.
    Last year on the 3rd week in a row, they got slaughtered in Ennis, so I think this year, he thought starting some lads from the bench might bring a bit of extra energy and impetus and then some big guns to give another lift during the game off the bench.
    Didn't really work, the performance was just quite flat, didn't surprise me really, was always going to very hard to get up to the level of the previous week for a dead rubber game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Where do lads get the smoke bombs and flares at matches?? They're surely not legal here are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

He's pretty amateurish at times with some of his comments. I mean that he knows the game well, but things like insulating Barry Kelly has an agenda against Kilkenny when being a paid pundit or commenting "not a lot of people know but Waterford wanted Mattie Kenny" when he's an intercounty manager himself is poor form (and also inaccurate, plenty of articles written about Waterford and Kenny last summer).

You expect more than pub talk from him in those positions. And that's not an anti Kilkenny thing, he's doing a good job with Laois but just think that kind of thing needs to be called out.

It must still kill Waterford that they went about beating the crap out of him and Tommy Walsh before the 2008 all Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Joe Daly wrote: »
    It must still kill Waterford that they went about beating the crap out of him and Tommy Walsh before the 2008 all Ireland.

that was one of plans that definitely didn't work :)

Brennan was great player, and in fairness thought he was good the other night on TSG, but he can be snide fker at times, especially about my own crowd.

Not that we harbour grudges.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Tbh the hammerings tipp given out over the years hurt alot more

Tipp bang in 7 or 8 goals in a munster final and then sunstitute their goalie,as long as i live il never forget that in your face mockery they made of us :*(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

If that's the best you can do to defend the comments cited, then I'll take it you agree with the point made.

Is that your opinion or facts wonder what comments I have to defend , Eddie Tommy were taken out of it before the 2008 all Ireland we all no what happened when the game got going.

Is that your opinion or facts wonder what comments I have to defend , Eddie Tommy were taken out of it before the 2008 all Ireland we all no what happened when the game got going.

Well just since you asked, this one:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1053273/

The comments about Barry Kelly were made on the Sunday game nightshow either after the loss to Cork in 2013 or the drawn all Ireland in 2014. He gave a stat about the percentage of games Barry Kelly has been involved in that Kilkenny failed to win, Des Cahill pulled him up on it.

Anyway, that hasn't really anything to do with the 2019 all Ireland championship so I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Big demand online for munster final tickets, gaelic grounds might get a sell out for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Big demand online for munster final tickets, gaelic grounds might get a sell out for once.

Ya, I got 4 eventually on tickets.ie but jesus I was in the queue for 2 hours this morn.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

I don't like the setup RTE have now. Where is the studio and where are the proper pundits like Cryil, Tomas, Ger etc.?

Having the stupid little table on the side of a pitch when it's blowing a gale and the wind is blowing on the mics is crap.

They can't do any proper analysis then because they're too worried about stopping their match programmes from blowing away.

Well just since you asked, this one:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1053273/

The comments about Barry Kelly were made on the Sunday game nightshow either after the loss to Cork in 2013 or the drawn all Ireland in 2014. He gave a stat about the percentage of games Barry Kelly has been involved in that Kilkenny failed to win, Des Cahill pulled him up on it.

Anyway, that hasn't really anything to do with the 2019 all Ireland championship so I'll leave it there.

Henry Shefflins ban was lifted for that match 2013, when you see a player like Shane o Neill not getting sent off for the swipe on Eoin Larkin that day was unbelevible. All your talk you don't know was it the quarter final 2013, or the all Ireland drawn final 2014 it was you who brought it up talk about pub talk.

Henry Shefflins ban was lifted for that match 2013, when you see a player like Shane o Neill not getting sent off for the swipe on Eoin Larkin that day was unbelevible. All your talk you don't know was it the quarter final 2013, or the all Ireland drawn final 2014 it was you who brought it up talk about pub talk.

https://youtu.be/LWXlDOmLI1k

From 30 mins into that video there if you're still interested. Pub talk indeed, sound Joe

What point are you trying to prove with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

_blaaz wrote: »
    Tbh the hammerings tipp given out over the years hurt alot more

Tipp bang in 7 or 8 goals in a munster final and then sunstitute their goalie,as long as i live il never forget that in your face mockery they made of us :*(

Cummins had equalled Christy Ring's record number of championship appearances that day and his substitution was merely affording the Tipp supporters the opportunity to acknowledge the achievement. Faux outrage is more of a Clare thing no??

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Cummins had equalled Christy Ring's record number of championship appearances that day and his substitution was merely affording the Tipp supporters the opportunity to acknowledge the achievement. Faux outrage is more of a Clare thing no??

They wouldn't have wasted a sub on that though if it was a contest. Might not have been deliberate to rub the noses in the face of the opposition, but it only happens when you're hammering them. Same with Kilkenny in 2008, brought on James McGarry to acknowledge his contribution and probably still mindful of the sentiment after the tragedy of the previous year.

But as an opposition supporter it is a stark reminder of just how much of a hammering you're getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

They wouldn't have wasted a sub on that though if it was a contest. Might not have been deliberate to rub the noses in the face of the opposition, but it only happens when you're hammering them. Same with Kilkenny in 2008, brought on James McGarry to acknowledge his contribution and probably still mindful of the sentiment after the tragedy of the previous year.

But as an opposition supporter it is a stark reminder of just how much of a hammering you're getting.

There is no question it wouldnt have been done if it was a closer contest but to suggest that it was 'in your face mockery' is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭threeball

The opposition is hardly there to keep the opposition supporters happy. Lads hanging on to grudges because of substitutions made years ago is bananas. Plenty of outfield players get pulled ashore when a team is getting hammered too.

threeball wrote: »
    The opposition is hardly there to keep the opposition supporters happy. Lads hanging on to grudges because of substitutions made years ago is bananas. Plenty of outfield players get pulled ashore when a team is getting hammered too.

Not saying anyone should be holding grudges. I'm just not surprised it sticks in the mind as something on the day that really let you know how badly the opposition recognized they were beating you.

• Advertisement

It was James McGarry last game why should kilkenny apologise for giving him his last run out in croke park, I am sure that day there was one person on his mind she was looking down on him but a broken heart is never mended. Move on gentlemen like Brendan Cummins and other players gave him great support.

Advertisement