Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

Out of interest what was the odds on Dublin to win that match? must of been one of the biggest hurling upsets in recent years.

13/8 with the bookies. Hardly a great upset to people familiar with the Leinster championship. Dublin haven't beaten Wexford, Kilkenny and Galway in the last two seasons but one point defeats were hardly leaving them with a mountain to climb. Wasn't going to take much to get them over the line and so it proved.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

KK keeper got away light today after foot challenge on o Connor
    Two feet in soccer style,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Grats

68deville wrote: »
    KK keeper got away light today after foot challenge on o Connor
    Two feet in soccer style,

Was that the same O'Connor that should have gotten red for deliberate pull across Paul Murphy?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Grats wrote: »
    Was that the same O'Connor that should have gotten red for deliberate pull across Paul Murphy?

Same guy, I'm sure he got a yellow for one of em?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Reid was lucky there was not damage done with the jab he got to the side of the face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

no way the dubs will beat Galway.

Hope you are not a betting Mantis. Bate them up a stick :)

Mulbert wrote: »
    Are the Dubs now contenders?

No probably. Did the job tonight but a bit off.

But fk it. We took down a big beast in a serious game, Brilliant performances all over the pitch. Watched some hidings over the years. So. Happy out :)

Tomorrow is another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

Definite Penalty for Wexford after the 2 foot first lunge, could of broken legs and nothing from Horgan, some of the frees he gave today were suspect, seemed to hand Reid frees for him constantly moaning to him.Prob a fair result ,both teams had chances to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭me89

gmurphy70 wrote: »
    Definite Penalty for Wexford after the 2 foot first lunge, could of broken legs and nothing from Horgan, some of the frees he gave today were suspect, seemed to hand Reid frees for him constantly moaning to him.Prob a fair result ,both teams had chances to win it.

I'd love to know what frees TJ got for moaning considering the ref gave Kilkenny very little in the 2nd half, in fact he only gave two scoreable frees to Kilkenny in the 2nd half. I didn't see him moaning even after that cheap shot he took to the face in the first half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭jacool

T P W D L +/- Pts.
    KIL 4 2 1 1 18 5
    WEX 4 1 3 0 15 5
    DUB 4 2 1 1 11 5
    GAL 4 2 1 1 3 5
    CAR 4 0 0 4 -47 0

T P W D L +/- Pts.
    KIL 4 2 1 1 4 5
    WEX 4 1 3 0 0 5
    DUB 4 2 1 1 -1 5
    GAL 4 2 1 1 -3 5

The GAA could either start giving 3 points for a win, but certainly, one rule they should bring in, is to only count the points difference in games involving teams on a tie. Interestingly, this would make no change to the outcome this season, but it prevent the likelihood of the lowest team, this year Carlow, having to face into 4 hockeyings. The points differences here show how tight things actually were.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

me89 wrote: »
    I'd love to know what frees TJ got for moaning considering the ref gave Kilkenny very little in the 2nd half, in fact he only gave two scoreable frees to Kilkenny in the 2nd half. I didn't see him moaning even after that cheap shot he took to the face in the first half.

To be honest I thought he gave frees much easier to Wexford than Kilkenny in the second half. There was a couple of clear holding frees which Kilkenny never got. Was very impressed with Wexford full back and centre back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭threeball

No. Galway have a history of underperforming against lower ranked teams and often getting caught or running them close. Offaly used to run us close every year but wexford and KK would hammer them. Carlow did it this year and it ultimately cost us and Dublin always run us close despite Galway generally being a much better team.

Footballers do the same. Scrape over London, leitrim or Sligo then go beat Mayo or some other decent team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Hope you are not a betting Mantis. Bate them up a stick :)

Well done, didn't see that one coming.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Ok, now that I've gathered my thoughts.

-Fair play to Dublin, they deliver when it really mattered.

-Wouldn't go changing the system just because of how Galway lost out last night. They knew what was needed before the match started and didn't get it done. Wasn't like they were ambushed by some arcane rule.

-Not sure if this is the end of the line for the current Galway management. They've had a bad year so they might choose to walk away but maybe Micheal fancies another crack at it. Either way there's a serious refresh of the team needed

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Out of interest what was the odds on Dublin to win that match? must of been one of the biggest hurling upsets in recent years.

They were 3/1 in the live betting with about 7 minutes left and I think it was level or maybe a pint down

• Registered Users Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

me89 wrote: »
    gmurphy70 wrote: »

Considering the rather robust nature of the game, I actually thought the referee let it flow well. Okay there were a few non-calls here and there, though none more so than Wexford's penalty claim, but he didn't go down a free-calling rabbit hole in general. Even Davy said as much afterwards.

As regards TJ, I mentioned his narkiness yesterday too, and while the ref only awarded two scoreable frees by your account to KK in the second half, Reid generally seems to be protected every other day. So for him to be complaining to the ref was rich.

I counted twice he acted up in the first half alone as it happened right in front of me-KK had a half-goal chance but were blown for over-carrying. TJ started argy bargy with Fanning then was hounding the ref. The second time O'Hanlon out fielded him and won a free out-Reid subsequently squared up to him and it led to a yellow card each.

But in the first half Paudie Foley got pulled across when going to catch the ball (after generally keeping his man subdued), and Jacko got his helmet clearly interferred with in the second half (again after roasting his man). The most blatant foul of the entire game that wasn't given was that aforementioned penalty. So its easy to pick out incidents that suit a narrative.

It seems, when things aren't going Kilkenny's way, Reid is the embodiment of his fans in terms of complaining to the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

The record speaks for itself. Wexford got two reds yesterday. O'Connor should have been a third. That's where Wexford are at now in terms of discipline. When they're away from home, that's going to cost them if they don't measures to address it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

What so the same number of red cards that Kilkenny got at home a week earlier?

Literally the same thing could be levelled at Kilkenny, particularly when they could potentially have an abrasive match vs Tipp or Limerick down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Wexford have become a nasty cynical side moulded in the personality of their manager. According to him, the whole world is against them. That gets you so far but there comes a time when it gets found out. If Wexford maintain that tactic they're going to see reds with increasing frequency.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Considering the rather robust nature of the game, I actually thought the referee let it flow well. Okay there were a few non-calls here and there, though none more so than Wexford's penalty claim, but he didn't go down a free-calling rabbit hole in general. Even Davy said as much afterwards.

As regards TJ, I mentioned his narkiness yesterday too, and while the ref only awarded two scoreable frees by your account to KK in the second half, Reid generally seems to be protected every other day. So for him to be complaining to the ref was rich.

I counted twice he acted up in the first half alone as it happened right in front of me-KK had a half-goal chance but were blown for over-carrying. TJ started argy bargy with Fanning then was hounding the ref. The second time O'Hanlon out fielded him and won a free out-Reid subsequently squared up to him and it led to a yellow card each.

But in the first half Paudie Foley got pulled across when going to catch the ball (after generally keeping his man subdued), and Jacko got his helmet clearly interferred with in the second half (again after roasting his man). The most blatant foul of the entire game that wasn't given was that aforementioned penalty. So its easy to pick out incidents that suit a narrative.

It seems, when things aren't going Kilkenny's way, Reid is the embodiment of his fans in terms of complaining to the ref.

The first TJ incident, if its the that I think you are referring to is the one where TJ got hit in the face deliberately after ref blew his whistle, which split him open and which he needed treatment for. That is what TJ was saying to ref afterwards

The second one was completely instigated by O'Hanlon who started the goading he does in most games after a fine catch, and when he and Reid started jostling, he wouldn't let go of Reid leading to both Hanlon and Reid getting a yellow.

I thought at the time O'Hanlon will be happy with result, but in the end it was himself who got a second with another late shoulder to the chest. This prompted Davy to go bananas with the ref, it seems, when things aren't going wexford's way, Davy is the embodiment of his fans in terms of complaining to the ref

Yeah I agree, it is easy to pick out incidents that suit a narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

The first TJ incident, if its the that I think you are referring to is the one where TJ got hit in the face deliberately after ref blew his whistle, which split him open and which he needed treatment for. That is what TJ was saying to ref afterwards

The second one was completely instigated by O'Hanlon who started the goading he does in most games after a fine catch, and when he and Reid started jostling, he wouldn't let go of Reid leading to both Hanlon and Reid getting a yellow.

I thought at the time O'Hanlon will be happy with result, but in the end it was himself who got a second with another late shoulder to the chest. This prompted Davy to go bananas with the ref, it seems, when things aren't going wexford's way, Davy is the embodiment of his fans in terms of complaining to the ref

Yeah I agree, it is easy to pick out incidents that suit a narrative

Bang on the money with this post. Hanlon only has himself to blame and if you look back at the match it was him who was constantly moaning to the ref. He was even by the ref when O Connor was getting his yellow for the wild pull. No need for him to be up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

This is my biggest pet hate in the GAA. The referees job is to referee the game, not “let the game flow”. If the two teams choose to foul all day they they are the ones not letting the game flow!! You can’t not award fouls because it’s bad for viewing.

Having been at the match, I would make a few observations, and bearing in mind Galway being knocked out was probably the best result for Kilkenny, there can be no sour grapes:
    -Wexford got frees a lot easier than Kilkenny in general
    - There was no complaints from Wexford about the “penalty”. The photos make it look bad but in real time Murphy was intent on stopping the ball and O’Connor should have hit it earlier.
    -Lawlor got away with a lot of holding off the ball for Kilkenny
    -On Wexford puck outs the Wexford players would break from the centre but there was constant obstructions of KK players as they followed their men.
    -In the 1st half, the Ref used the stadium clock to judge when the 2 minutes were up (personally felt there was more injury time given Deegans injury) as I clearly saw him look at the scoreboard before calling half time, yet in the second half he blew a full 30 seconds early (based on the scoreboard) when a KK free was in the air towards the KK forward line. Wexford obviously felt vexed by this too as had they won the ball they could have scored. This is why Nolan got his red card.
    -While TJ was having word with the ref, as a captain should, so too was O’Hanlon.

In general, I though it was a great game and Kilkenny will feel that the final theirs to lose but Wexford will feel confident too particularly given the way they kept TJ quiet.

I generally feel Horgan is one of the best refs out there but he was poor yesterday and didn’t sort out the rough stuff after frees had been given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

citykat wrote: »
    The record speaks for itself. Wexford got two reds yesterday. O'Connor should have been a third. That's where Wexford are at now in terms of discipline. When they're away from home, that's going to cost them if they don't measures to address it.

And Kilkenny got 2 last week and should've seen their Keeper sent off this week which would have cost them but got away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Did Wexford have two red cards? I only saw O Hanlon's?

Thought Reid did seem about rattled, was getting involved a few times from early in the first half when he threw away the ball. In the second half a few of the Kilkenny lads actually pushed him away. I wouldn't have said that's typical of him though, just thought it was evident yesterday and interesting he wasn't at his brilliant best.

No doubt Wexford were riling him of course but unusual that they succeeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭C__MC

Was an interesting game. I did feel kilkenny were the better team in the first half executing the skills of the game much better but as expected lacking a real cutting edge up front. Wexfords running game came to the fore in the second half, it paid off and they finished stronger. Their keeper cost them at least 1.2. Fennelly and Mullen were excellent. Kilkenny had the wind but there shooting let them down big time, very sloppy wides. Overall it was an exciting game but lacked real quality. Aimless balls hit away and alot of poor wides. I might add if kk used richie Hogan or aylward they would have probably won with the wind in second half.

The leinster final will be interesting. Cant put my finger on it but kk are lacking a killer instinct. You never felt theyd push on and win that game, same last year v galway and limerick. Maybe it will come. I expect the leinster final to be scrappy and tense, wexford will fill croker looking for their first title since 2004. They'll be delighted to have kk rather than galway. The big spaces will suit wexfords running game as up front they are limited enough. I'm intrigued to see if kk can step up in this game. They are definitely improving but missing a killer spark. Injuries could be interesting Buckley, deegan, Walsh possibly doubtful judging by last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

correction wrote: »
    And Kilkenny got 2 last week and should've seen their Keeper sent off this week which would have cost them but got away with it.

The second red card last week was described by many as extremely harsh, particularly given a trip instigated it which should have been a red card offence on its own.
    I genuinely fail to see in real time how you could have sent off Murphy. He was intent on stopping the ball but didn’t go out with the intention of injuring the player. I fail to see it as even a free tbh. To be fair to the ref, he spoke to both umpires after the incident and they saw no issue either so 3 officials who were within 10m of it in real time didn’t see it as a free and there was no visible complaints from Wexford either. Everyone has a degree in hindsight and the photos/slow mo make it look bad but at the time the correct decision was made

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

Last Stop wrote: »
    -In the 1st half, the Ref used the stadium clock to judge when the 2 minutes were up (personally felt there was more injury time given Deegans injury) as I clearly saw him look at the scoreboard before calling half time, yet in the second half he blew a full 30 seconds early (based on the scoreboard) when a KK free was in the air towards the KK forward line. Wexford obviously felt vexed by this too as had they won the ball they could have scored. This is why Nolan got his red card.
    When the scoreboard clock reached 35 minutes in the second half it stopped for over a minute. Probably about ninety seconds. It eventually started up again but without any correction.

Almost 5 minutes extra time were played in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭amber69

O Hanlon fielded the ball after driving a forearm into TJs neck. As I watched on telly I had the advantage of a replay. This is what TJ was fighting over.

A very enjoyable game and a very tough place to go. I'm looking forward to the Leinster final now.

• Advertisement

Just in general, officiating has been poor in a lot of games and that lends itself to complaining after the event.

Not seen the Kilkenny/Wexford game yet but definitely thought they go the wrong end of calls last week.

In Parnell hard to say because so caught up in it so don't be looking for a reasoned assessment.

Umpires behind Ciarans end were clueless. Two obviously wrong calls; one favoured us, the other Galway, and at one stage the lad on left of goal was actually looking into the crowd to see what had happened!

Everyone else on the field devotes half their year to this. Not good enough for a close game to maybe hang on the decision of an incompetent.

Advertisement