Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Michael, what have you and your fellow ex offaly players put back into offaly gaa?

What radio station was he moaning on?
    I only heard him on rte radio 1 and he wasn't moaning, he sounded a bit shock and even said he hoped they'd run out of time and not have to talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

STB. wrote: »
    The problem is with the points system.

2 points for a win has us with the scenario whereby a team that won less games than 3rd and 4th placed teams find themselves in a leinster final, whilst the fourth placed team goes out altogether.

Another problem is draws. Abolish draws and play extra time and then penaties to get a winner. Too many refs blowing early aswell and playing for draws

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Stonewall penalty, it's dangerous play.
    Should probably be a red card too.
    If a midfielder did that he'd be off

Where is the rule that specifies all this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

If you look back at the thread during the match, that's what we were saying here. Its a blatant penalty but they never seem to be given when they should.

I said its like a kamikaze tackle

Agreed, happens very frequently, never punished, cant understand the sudden clamour over it in this instance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Another problem is draws. Abolish draws and play extra time and then penaties to get a winner. Too many refs blowing early aswell and playing for draws

its a group stage , there is always a chance of a draw , and in fairness its pretty hard to sit back and play for a draw in hurling

wexford had no idea that they were through when the final whistle was up let alone think they were in a leinster final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I tell ya what, TJ is some man to hound the ref and get involved in little niggly stuff when a free is awarded against him. Considering the amount of soft frees he gets, it's very ironic.

My nerves are still jangling. Kudos to Chin for nailing that free at the end considering the criticism he gets from close quarters.

I thought that O'Connor incident was a penalty at the time albeit I didn't have a great vantage point, but that tweet confirms it for me. And yet a hand on Reid is more punishable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

citykat wrote: »
    Where is the rule that specifies all this?

It's covered under the section dealing with karate kicks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

its a group stage , there is always a chance of a draw , and in fairness its pretty hard to sit back and play for a draw in hurling
    wexford had no idea that they were through when the final whistle was up let alone think they were in a leinster final

Aidan Nolan certainly didn't. Got a red after the whistle for remonstrating with the ref.

On the one hand not enough point weighting is given for wins over draws. On the other it throws up these mad possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

It's covered under the section dealing with karate kicks

Not a patch on the Clare keepers one on Bonner Maher.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

Wexford were fierce tonight and I'm glad they go through, pity it's at the expense of Galway but that's sport for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Would love to watch some highlights of Dublin Galway now!

Surely there should have been a hurling highlights programme this evening including the Joe McDonagh Cup games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

"The system has failed them".

Nonsense, the system didn't fail them. Once they lost the players of the calibre of the Dooley brothers, Brian Whelahan, Johnny Pilkington etc, they were never able to replace these players and in truth have been in decline since the heavy All Ireland final defeat in 2000. They just don't have the players anymore.
    They'll blame the system before they'll ever blame themselves. Duignan must think he's still living in the mid 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Some load of rot in here. All teams played the same amount of games and had plenty of chances to seal their place. End of the day it's a Kilkenny Wexford final and Dublin through to the series. And that's all because of the results of the games end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭C__MC

The Clare keeper , did he get a yellow two weeks ago
    Was more reckless imo them Murphy
    Weird and anti climactic result. Its definitely advantage wexford.

I'd like to see a stop watch in hurling, more fair then the cop out by the ref in injury time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Surely there should have been a hurling highlights programme this evening including the Joe McDonagh Cup games?

Don't be ridiculous, there's the more pressing Canada and New Zealand game in the Womens World Cup to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

I tell ya what, TJ is some man to hound the ref and get involved in little niggly stuff when a free is awarded against him. Considering the amount of soft frees he gets, it's very ironic.

That's some level of delusion you have going there. From the very first free Wexford were looking to kick something off by getting in Kilkenny players' faces, with late shoulders etc. particularly TJ'. There were multiple incidents where a couple of Wexford players ran into Reid off the ball after a free was given and Reid got booked when, yet again, O'Hanlon went looking for trouble after winning a puck out and wouldn't let go of Reid. Reid was also split open with a late shoulder to the face which went unpunished.

I'm not complaining about the above but just highlighting how myopic your assessment of who was the aggressor with the niggly stuff is

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Not a patch on the Clare keepers one on Bonner Maher.

00122733-1280.jpg

Touhy got a yellow card for this.

Bonnar scored, but if he hadn't... Would it have been a penalty? Generally referees don't award penalties for these type of challenges

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

KK certainly got away with a few decisions and that high foot was probably a penalty, Bonnar Maher got caught with another high foot the other week, referees need to keep an eye on this. Thought the ref tried to let it flow at least. Quietest I've seen TJ in a long while, seemed to have an off day but wexford hit him hard and didn't give him an inch. Leinster final should be another huge battle.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

C__MC wrote: »
    The Clare keeper , did he get a yellow two weeks ago
    Was more reckless imo them Murphy
    Weird and anti climactic result. Its definitely advantage wexford.

I'd like to see a stop watch in hurling, more fair then the cop out by the ref in injury time

i taught there was only 4 minutes of added time he played just over that so i cant see where people were complaining

but yes a stop watch like rugby would be much better then the current situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭C__MC

A bigger farce is the Joe mc donagh teams reentering the championship as cannon fodder, make no sense.

Oh wise up Michael Duignan, offaly in free fall since early noughties. No excuses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Conas wrote: »
    Nonsense, the system didn't fail them. Once they lost the players of the calibre of the Dooley brothers, Brian Whelahan, Johnny Pilkington etc, they were never able to replace these players and in truth have been in decline since the heavy All Ireland final defeat in 2000. They just don't have the players anymore.
    They'll blame the system before they'll ever blame themselves. Duignan must think he's still living in the mid 90s

Yes. Hence the " ".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Oisin Kelly was rugby tackled to the ground at a crucial moment today in Tralee. You won't see a more cynical foul all summer. I wonder what Mr Verney thought watching it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭corny

Great game in Parnell Park. Nip and tuck all the way. Thought Galway edged play around the middle third but they could never get their match ups right at the back. Left them vulnerable. To a man the Dublin forwards all had good games.

Mannion was a big loss for Galway. He should have chosen his battles more wisely. Shane Barrett is not a man i'd size up for a big hit.

Shared a moment with a Galway supporter where we were both deflated on finding out the score of the other game. I got over it pretty quick though. She didn't.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Oisin Kelly was rugby tackled to the ground at a crucial moment today in Tralee. You won't see a more cynical foul all summer. I wonder what Mr Verney thought watching it?

Watched that alright. If it was your defender, you would be shouting at him to just drag him down in fairness and he did just that.

Good tackle and stopped the offload!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Probably too busy spoofing about the horse racing

C__MC wrote: »
    A bigger farce is the Joe mc donagh teams reentering the championship as cannon fodder, make no sense.

Oh wise up Michael Duignan, offaly in free fall since early noughties. No excuses

Where are you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Out of interest what was the odds on Dublin to win that match? must of been one of the biggest hurling upsets in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

Are the Dubs now contenders?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

Are the Dubs now contenders?

Advertisement