Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Smith - Neither a man or a woman?!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Religion.

But it was a Catholic monk who lay the fountations of genetics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Yeah all this "Who cares?" (really dismissive expression that's often used in relation to things plenty of people care about - what it means is: "I don't care, therefore nobody else possibly could"), "it's nobody else's business", "He can feel whatever way he feels" etc...

He has chosen to talk about it publicly. Now he can absolutely feel whatever way he wants to feel - I'm not stopping him and have no wish to, but when it's put in the public domain, people will express opinions about it. And they do not have to respect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,272 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

But it was a Catholic monk who lay the fountations of genetics.

So what? We have evidence to show that genetics is a fact. Religion is still a load of bollocks.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I'd have maybe a bit more time for this if it was a Caster Semenya type thing, where you might be born with both sets of genitalia or tests show that you have naturally elevated levels of estrogen or testosterone.

I don't think that's the case here.

Sam Smith is a man. A gay man, who probably doesn't identify with any traditionally male characteristics. But that's a result of what we traditionally call "manly" attributes, when in fact there's room for everyone from your white van driving, football loving labourer as much as a tap-dancing, headdress wearing musicals lover in the definition of what it means to be a "man".

I think women are a bit better at this - you don't really find gay women at the tomboy-ish end of the scale having difficulty in defining themselves as a woman.

Smith concluded: "Maybe I'm not a man, maybe I'm not a woman, maybe I'm just me, and maybe that's ok."

That might be the most ‘2019’ thing I’ve ever read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Smith concluded: "Maybe I'm not a man, maybe I'm not a woman, maybe I'm just me, and maybe that's ok."

That might be the most ‘2019’ thing I’ve ever read.
    Aye, beyond inane.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,422 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Gonna have to start just referring to him as a 'fool' seeing as he doesn't want to be referred to as male or female anymore. :rolleyes:

Advertisement