Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Smith - Neither a man or a woman?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I think I float somewhere in between'

s/he's a floater :D

poolboy wrote: »
    Well it annoys me because i have kids growing up in a world where people are afraid to tell these clowns to grow up stop attention seeking and be who they are.
    Anyone who genuinely believes they are non binary needs help in my opinion.

Unless what they really are is non-binary or trans....

Only Sam Smith knows what's going on inside his brain and how he feels. None of us can call him a liar or tell him his feelings are wrong.

I never understand why people get so worked up about this kind of thing. If you don't feel that way, that's fine, but what's the point in being so dismissive and disrespectful to other people?

He says he thinks like a woman. I’m a woman and I haven’t a notion how other women think.

He’s saying it like all us women think in a certain way and for that, it’s Sam Smith who is being disrespectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

poolboy wrote: »
    Well it annoys me because i have kids growing up in a world where people are afraid to tell these clowns to grow up stop attention seeking and be who they are.
    How do you know it's attention-seeking? Unless you are Sam Smith, you don't know his motives for doing this.
    Anyone who genuinely believes they are non binary needs help in my opinion.
    I'm sure they do need help sorting out their thoughts. Bottling things up is never good. Maybe this is his way of doing that? Maybe he's looking for advice.
    ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Because its utter nonsense and it creates more utter nonsense. The world needs less utter nonsense imo.

He is a man. The science is factual despite what he thinks he may be. End of.
    I am a man. I have never felt like anything other than a man so I can't understand how someone would feel that they were born into a body that doesn't match what they feel in their brain.

However, I am happy to listen to someone saying they feel different and let them explain themselves, instead of just going "Well, I was born into a man's body and I'm a man so it should be the same for you". That's an extremely narrow-minded way of looking at it. I wouldn't automatically think that person is trying to get attention either.

What is so wrong about giving people the chance to express their feelings, no matter how different or hard to comprehend that they may be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

NIMAN wrote: »
    I despair.

They will be able to look back at this generation in history and say, "well, that's where it started to go t1ts up".

I think just about every generation in the history of our species has said that about the ones following, to be fair.

Either way, it's going to take an absolutely monumental effort by millennials to beat out the "baby boomer" generation most of the world had post WWII when it comes to making a mess of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I know people say that da kidz are saying this stuff because it’s fashionable. But I cannot imagine being anything other than happy at being a woman. I love being a woman. I can’t imagine any fashion making me say anything else. So there must be something to these people saying they don’t feel like they are the gender they are born with, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

It's cool to be different, innit bruv.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

He can't be simply a gay man,nooooooo,gotta be more than that when your in the spotlight,

"Maybe I'm just me"

Fine,be you,it's not fcking news.

To remain edgey and exciting he'll soon come out as straight, his next album will be called "I love tits".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Unless what they really are is non-binary or trans....

Probably pretty unlikely statistically. "Confused" celebrities really don't help guide people.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Billy86 wrote: »
    Either way, it's going to take an absolutely monumental effort by millennials to beat out the "baby boomer" generation most of the world had post WWII when it comes to making a mess of the world.
    What a load of steaming turd bollocks. The vast majority of the stuff some of the right on "millennials" are spouting about came from the "boomers". Social justice, feminism, contraception choices, Gay rights, abortion, divorce, antiwar, Race rights, the environment? All subjects first tackled by boomers and it was the same "boomers" who got that stuff into legislation long before "millennials" were even born. Ireland? She came late to the party on many such things, but even there it was Generation X that got most of that stuff across the line and it was them who bid adieu to the Church here. About the only thing millennials helped get across the line in Ireland was the abortion referendum and even there with a large chunk of Generation X help. The very IT you're using to type that post is overwhelmingly of boomer/generation X's making.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

How do you know it's attention-seeking? Unless you are Sam Smith, you don't know his motives for doing this.

I'm sure they do need help sorting out their thoughts. Bottling things up is never good. Maybe this is his way of doing that? Maybe he's looking for advice.

I am a man. I have never felt like anything other than a man so I can't understand how someone would feel that they were born into a body that doesn't match what they feel in their brain.

However, I am happy to listen to someone saying they feel different and let them explain themselves, instead of just going "Well, I was born into a man's body and I'm a man so it should be the same for you". That's an extremely narrow-minded way of looking at it. I wouldn't automatically think that person is trying to get attention either.

What is so wrong about giving people the chance to express their feelings, no matter how different or hard to comprehend that they may be?

It’s a literally scientific way of looking at it.

People can express what they want and we can express our ridicule.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Im not saying he can't. I just find it odd that it's only when it comes to gender that it is socially acceptable to lie.
    That's why that Dutch businessman last year wanted to be legally recognised as being 20 years younger than his actual age. He might have been trolling (through the courts) but he was trying to make that point, I think.

Either way, I'm not bothered. Actually, I'd heard the name Sam Smith for years without knowing if the singer was male and female. Now I 'know' it's neither! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Hoboo

When you're no longer the only gay in the village, it's time to crank it up a level.

Learned what a demisexual is yesterday. Fascinating, what was once considered romantic or traditional is now 'demisexual'.

Reminds me of five spice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He says he thinks like a woman.
    I'd reckon SM, he thinks, and I use the term loosely, like an empty vessel fame hungry performer type, sucking in anything in the zeitgeist that makes him feel relevant and since trans stuff is of the moment, bingo, he's latched onto it. I don't know of the guy from Adam, but I'd not be shocked to find out he's also said he's mentally ill(a "fashionable" condition of course) or on the spectrum or whatever you're having yourself.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hoboo wrote: »
    When you're no longer the only gay in the village, it's time to crank it up a level.

Learned what a demisexual is yesterday. Fascinating, what was once considered romantic or traditional is now 'demisexual'.

Reminds me of five spice.

If there is one group we could do with less it's sociologists and their fetish for renaming things and making up new labels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I know people say that da kidz are saying this stuff because it’s fashionable. But I cannot imagine being anything other than happy at being a woman. I love being a woman. I can’t imagine any fashion making me say anything else. So there must be something to these people saying they don’t feel like they are the gender they are born with, right?

He is the gender he is born with. Some of the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Got banned from a website I like for a week for commenting saying this nonsense I added I was gay man as insurance but no still banned

millennials Are the worst
    Welcome back

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd reckon SM, he thinks, and I use the term loosely, like an empty vessel fame hungry performer type, sucking in anything in the zeitgeist that makes him feel relevant and since trans stuff is of the moment, bingo, he's latched onto it. I don't know of the guy from Adam, but I'd not be shocked to find out he's also said he's mentally ill(a "fashionable" condition of course) or on the spectrum or whatever you're having yourself.

Oh my days :D

Whoever had trans, gay, mental illness, alcoholic & self destruct on their celebrity bingo card, raise your hand!

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5562009/amp/Sam-Smith-reveals-mental-health-battle-spurred-stay-sober-self-destructive-period.html
    Sam Smith reveals recent mental health battle has spurred him to stay sober after self-destructive period

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What a load of steaming turd bollocks. The vast majority of the stuff some of the right on "millennials" are spouting about came from the "boomers". Social justice, feminism, contraception choices, Gay rights, abortion, divorce, antiwar, Race rights, the environment? All subjects first tackled by boomers and it was the same "boomers" who got that stuff into legislation long before "millennials" were even born. Ireland? She came late to the party on many such things, but even there it was Generation X that got most of that stuff across the line and it was them who bid adieu to the Church here. About the only thing millennials helped get across the line in Ireland was the abortion referendum and even there with a large chunk of Generation X help. The very IT you're using to type that post is overwhelmingly of boomer/generation X's making.

People try to put us d-dooooowwwwn. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The whole generation thing is a load of steaming turd bollocks though. Like you can even start to segment people just on the basis of age...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The Islamic caliphate, Russia and China will soon have the whip hand over the decedent west.

Oh my days :D

Whoever had trans, gay, mental illness, alcoholic & self destruct on their celebrity bingo card, raise your hand!

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5562009/amp/Sam-Smith-reveals-mental-health-battle-spurred-stay-sober-self-destructive-period.html

boom-i-win.jpg

And I genuinely have no clue who this eejit is. Normally I would hate to admit I'm not down with the kidz, but I think in this case that's a blessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I won't pretend to understand non-binary or transgender.

I can't because I have never experienced this myself. I'm female and have always been female. Was very much a tomboy (for want of a better word) until college, but never ever considered there was a possibilty of not being a girl/women.

While I am sceptical, I do wonder if 50 years ago, people reacted the same what when someone said they were gay. It wasn't understood back in the day and people were dismissive of anything that wasn't hetrosexual.

That said, I still don't get it, despite trying to.

The same reason I don't treat my daughter like a unicorn despite the fact that sometimes she wants to be one.

Or the same reason we don't encourage anorexics to lose weight despite the fact that they "feel fat".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,787 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

He says he thinks like a woman. I’m a woman and I haven’t a notion how other women think.

He’s saying it like all us women think in a certain way and for that, it’s Sam Smith who is being disrespectful.

Exactly.

What he's doing is really just ultimate mansplaining.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

He’s one of these gob****es who would literally do or say anything to extend what little time in the spotlight he has

He's won numerous awards, including an Oscar.

He's just completed a sold-out world tour with his second album.

Has had 2 consecutive No.1's in the UK chart in recent months alone.

I would say he has many years left in the spotlight regardless of how he identifies.

xzanti wrote:

Better hand back all the "best male" awards though

xzanti wrote:

xzanti wrote:
    He's just completed a sold-out world tour with his second album.

xzanti wrote:
    I would say he has many years left in the spotlight regardless of how he identifies.

That's a lot of "he's"

Bigot

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

That's a lot of "he's"

Bigot

s/he can identify as a koala bear for all I care. That bitch can sing!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Maybe he was told by a career guidance teacher at school," you can be anything you want if you put your mind to it".

Advertisement