Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood *spoilers from post 356*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

The posters are really awful but obviously doesn't reduce my excitement to see this.

Am I right in saying this is the first time Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt will be in a movie together? It kind of feels like a generation of pop culture coming to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

correction wrote: »
    The posters are really awful.

Can you explain what's so awful about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

They're not interesting to look at, nothing artistic about them. Brad Pitt's head looks photoshopped on. What are they leaning on?

The first one does a decent job of at least letting you know DiCaprio and Pitt are in it I guess but if I wasn't already interested in the film I wouldn't have given either poster a second look.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

His head looks OK to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

First Trailer released today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That looks like the good old Tarantino that we love. Great teaser. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

correction wrote: »
    They're not interesting to look at, nothing artistic about them. Brad Pitt's head looks photoshopped on. What are they leaning on?

The first one does a decent job of at least letting you know DiCaprio and Pitt are in it I guess but if I wasn't already interested in the film I wouldn't have given either poster a second look.

Have to agree with you, they're pretty boring.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The posters don't bother me, though Brad Pitt's face does look a bit weird. It strikes me that Leo's hair looks a bit wrong for the era; he doesn't seem to be a "straight" as he's wearing groovy clothes in the other picture, so he should at least have sideburns or less quiffed hair. A strange detail that you'd think would be right (unless all is revealed in the movie).

Sharon Tate though. Such a tragic story. I wonder how it'll be treated if the tone of the movie is more comedic. Or will that part of her story be in the movie at all? If not then I wonder why have a "real" character at all.

Either way I'll be seeing this as soon as it opens. I even like Death Proof so for me QT always delivers. Saying that I didn't see The Hateful 8 for some reason, and Django Unchained was a bit of a disappointment after Inglourious Basterds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Trailer looks great. Hope the story is as good as the style.

Fwiw, Brad Pitt looks weird to me in that poster, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

the tune in the trailer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Dicaprio in both images just looks like:

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.qkme.me%2F3q07r6.jpg&f=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Sharon Tate though. Such a tragic story. I wonder how it'll be treated if the tone of the movie is more comedic. Or will that part of her story be in the movie at all? If not then I wonder why have a "real" character at all.
    It will be part of the story. They've even cast a young polish actor to play...Roman Polanski.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Tarantino is not exactly noted for his historical accuracy. Inglourious Basterds culminated in Hitler and Goebbels being machine gunned to death at a movie premiere.

Maybe a yellow-tracksuited Bruce Lee will swoop in and save Sharon Tate from the Manson gang with some Kung Fu kicks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like another shaggy dog style narrative from Tarantino; know next to nothing about the Manson murders TBH - I know of Charles Manson & that he's a pyscho - but nothing else, and didn't know there was some connection with Hollywood either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

pixelburp wrote: »
    Looks like another shaggy dog style narrative from Tarantino; know next to nothing about the Manson murders TBH - I know of Charles Manson & that he's a pyscho - but nothing else, and didn't know there was some connection with Hollywood either.

Basically Manson had some disagreement with a record producer years before and so he sent some of his "family" to kill him not knowing that the guy had moved out and Polanski and his wife had moved in. She was home with some friends when they arrived off their nut on acid and carved them up.

I could be wrong but I believe Manson never actually personally murdered anyone but rather gave out the orders.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yowsers.

Yeah, I can see why some folk have been a little leery about Tarantino touching this story. He's not always the most nuanced when it comes to violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

Yeah I remember watching the aforementioned "Inglorious Basterds" scene with Hitler mentioned above and for a second thinking "I didn't know that's how he died".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

p to the e wrote: »
    Basically Manson had some disagreement with a record producer years before and so he sent some of his "family" to kill him not knowing that the guy had moved out and Polanski and his wife had moved in. She was home with some friends when they arrived off their nut on acid and carved them up.

I could be wrong but I believe Manson never actually personally murdered anyone but rather gave out the orders.

That's pretty much it. He and the "family" lived out in the desert in an abandoned film set. The girls were, shall we say, "vulnerable", mostly acid casualties / easily influenced / runaways. Manson put himself forward as a kind of messiah and leader.

And apparently he was quite a persuasive person. He got in with some of the Beach Boys and also hung out with Neil Young. He was trying to get a record deal, Neil Young even recommended him to some contacts, but the aforementioned producer (Terry Melcher) turned him down. It was his ex-house that the killers went to. So for Sharon Tate et al, it was a case of wrong place, wrong time.

Manson preached the message of what he called "helter skelter", which he believed was a coming black uprising that would destroy white society. He and his family would be the only whites who would survive; they planned to hide in a hole in the desert (true story) until it was time to come back out.

This was all inspired by the Beatles "white album" - he took songs like Piggies, Helter Skelter, Revolution 9, and Blackbird and decided they were all about the upcoming race war, and that the Beatles were speaking to him personally.

So while he didn't murder anyone physically himself (that we know of) he certainly gave the orders. The girls, not being of sound mind, later boasted about their exploits and the trail led to Manson.

Interesting fact: One of the victims was a "hairdresser to the stars", who was a friend of celebrities and present on the night. He was famous for creating Jim Morrison's hairstyle for his famous topless photo shoot.

The other victims from the following night, the La Biancas, were completely unrelated to Tate, Melcher, or Polanski. They just happened to be in a house they targeted.

Manson's motivation was to make the murders look like the work of black perpetrators, hastening the race war, and Manson's eventual rising up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭tigger123

Wonder will the film lead up to the Manson murders, or will it just have Sharon Tate in it to heighten the edge factor.

Either way I can't say I'm overly interested. I haven't enjoyed anything he did since Jackie Brown. If it gets good reviews though I'll give it a go I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really like the look of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

There doesn't seem to be a big.. I gotta see it for <insert compelling moment from trailer>.. moment tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

The reaction from Cannes is very positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Something far more self referential about that trailer than I've ever seen Tarantino..... The Inglorious Basterds being played upon etc. Plus Django styled DiCaprio... :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That looks fupping brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

Looks like a potential top 5 Taratino film. Awesome.

A few people saying it the closest thing he's done to Pulp Fiction

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭buried

Looks class, from the trailer the world portrayed looks really authentic , real 'Mad Men' style vibes

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

Still giving off that shaggydog vibe, which is not necessarily a bad thing; I believe Tarantino has mentioned it as akin to Pulp Fiction, being a loosely linked narrative of variously overlapping characters, with Manson floating around as a slowly creeping 'infection' (to use Tarantino's turn of phrase). Would still worry about that particular part, coupled with the director's ... well, sometimes lack of class when it comes to violence.

Advertisement