Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood *spoilers from post 356*

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Tarantino divides opinion like most great directors

I quite liked Death Proof despite it being panned , preferred it to Django Unchained

The first half of Death Proof was great, until Tracie Thoms' character made me despise it overall and never watch it again. Django is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Relikk wrote: »
    The first half of Death Proof was great, until Tracie Thoms' character made me despise it overall and never watch it again. Django is much better.

found myself watching Jackie Brown again lately , great movie , Pam Grier is a terrific woman , no wonder Max Cherry was speechless throughout much of the movie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

20-Hour Cut of Tarantino’s Once Upon A Time In Hollywood Teased By Margot Robbie

https://screenrant.com/once-upon-time-hollywood-tarantino-margot-robbie-cut/

has anyone bought the book?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭cmac2009

peteeeed wrote: »

Haven't bought the book, but he was on Marc Maron's podcast discussing it, and his life in general, if anyone is interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

I bought it this evening - god knows when I’ll get to actually read it though, the pile of unread books in my wardrobe just keeps growing!

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Haven't bought the book, but he was on Marc Maron's podcast discussing it, and his life in general, if anyone is interested.

i listened , maron seemed to love the book, i've just bought it

i listened , maron seemed to love the book, i've just bought it

I love the podcast he did with Brad & Leo about the film. Great to hear them all chatting about the film industry and Marc losing the plot halfway through was so funny.

I love the podcast he did with Brad & Leo about the film. Great to hear them all chatting about the film industry and Marc losing the plot halfway through was so funny.

i think i remember that one, the tech issues made it

i think i remember that one, the tech issues made it

Absolutely. Listened to it again there the other day and it’s still as funny as I remembered. They weren’t in his usual studio as he had travelled to chat to them after they did a Q&A in a theatre and he wasn’t having a good time with the mobile set up!

• Advertisement

Well sheeeet. Had avoided watching this movie because of how gruesome the ending was supposed to be, considering Sharon Tate was nearly full term and knew the story... Eventually plucked up the courage to watch it, considered skipping fast through the expected end scene... Q the gorey bit and I laughed myself silly. Brilliant ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

That was a great watch, it was our family film last night. Know next to nothing about the Manson story and didnt know any spoilers about this film, so overall the ending was great and very Tarantino , if he can kill Hitler in Inglorious Bastards he can crate a righteous ending in this one 9/10

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 85,005 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It is on RTE 1 bank holiday Monday night at 9.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

This film is not in same class as Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Django Unchained, Inglorious Basterds, Hateful 8, Kill Bills or Jackie Brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

It's more of a completely different tone than all the others, and if anything, one of his classiest. Pure postmodern self-indulgent story-telling, of the highest calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,815 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I wouldn't put those in the same class as each other either tbh though. Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown are a cut above.

He's changed as he's aged, and gotten interested in more hyper-stylized filmmaking. No harm in that, it's good for filmmakers (or artists of any kind) to keep exploring new things, though I think he loses sight of the grounded characters he used to make at times amidst all the style.

The Kill Bill's were like the bridge between his original style and what followed, and Once Upon A time... is almost him circling back around and bringing some more in-depth character beats back into a very style-heavy film.

I'd have liked if there was a more focused narrative though (or, I guess, a narrative through-line that didn't end up on the cutting room floor as seemed to happen with Tim Roth's storyline). Feels like what he wanted to achieve would've maybe fit an anthology series format better.

Advertisement