Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood *spoilers from post 356*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Absolutely loved the movie and I was particularly impressed with
    the portrayal of Sharon Tate and the involvement of Debra Tate. I felt it was a homage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I get that using the real names has more of an impact but I also feel it's more of a distraction given what you're anticipating and then how the movie ends. I think I cottoned what was happening a bit before most judging by the posts I'm reading online. I also thought referencing the Natalie Wood tragedy was another distraction that didn't really build to anything. It feels like the themes are a bit underdeveloped and if they'd cut the whole Sharon Tate subplot the film could have had more focus.

But, like Tarantino, I'm playing "What if?" here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

OU812 wrote: »
    In the OUATIH universe, Rick Dalton probably went on to star in a Polanski movie bringing him back up as a Major Star

I thought it would end with a shot of Leo as Jake Gittes in the poster for Chinatown! Leo always reminds me a bit of Jack, so it would have been a cool ending, seeing as Quentin was rewriting history anyways :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Unearthly wrote: »
    Thought it was brilliant. I want Brad Pitt to be my stunt double and friend

I think the friendship between Rick and Cliff is what the film is really about. Theres a great mutual respect between them. I think everyone would love to have a friend like Cliff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Going to see it again on Friday, can't wait!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I find Tarantino hit and miss. Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Inglourious Basterds all great. The rest I can leave. Some of them are complete shíte. Django and Hateful Eight in particular. Dogshít.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭kerplun k

The Nal wrote: »
    I find Tarantino hit and miss. Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Inglourious Basterds all great. The rest I can leave. Some of them are complete shíte. Django and Hateful Eight in particular. Dogshít.

:eek:

The Hateful Eight is nothing short of a masterpiece and Tarantinos best work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

kerplun k wrote: »

I thought it was brilliant also.
    The vast empty setting, the long scenes with never ending crisp intellectual dialogues, the crazy characters, the twist came from nowhere, and the bonkers ending. I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I liked Hateful Eight too ("masterpiece" might be stretching it, though).

I might need to watch Inglourious Basterds again but I didn't really "get" it. It was too silly, too self aware. A few standout scenes but most of it annoyed me.

Might watch it again someday and maybe I'll think differently.

• Advertisement

kerplun k wrote: »

Thought it was a total snoozefest.

There isn't a director more overrated than Tarantino. Christopher Nolan maybe.

2 for 2

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Thought it was a total snoozefest.

Or, there isn't a director better than Tarantino. Except Christopher Nolan. Overratedness is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

I thought it was brilliant also.
    The vast empty setting, the long scenes with never ending crisp intellectual dialogues, the crazy characters, the twist came from nowhere, and the bonkers ending. I really enjoyed it.

I'm still waiting for someone to adapt it into a play so I can go see it live.

Reservoir Dogs - Indie masterpiece
    Pulp Fiction - Classic
    Jackie Brown - His Oasis' "Be Here Now"
    Kill Bill: Volume 1 - Well shot but shíte
    Kill Bill: Volume 2 - Well shot but shíte
    Grindhouse: Death Proof - Dreadful
    Inglourious Basterds - Classic
    Django Unchained - Awful
    The Hateful Eight - Boring

3/9

Haven't seen the new one yet but looking forward to it.

As for Chris Nolan, 1 1/2 good Batman movies and a bit of Momento.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Django Unchained - Awful

Reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Pulp Fiction - Classic
    Django Unchained - Awful

3/9

Don't know whats worse, the Tarantino or Nolan bashing !!

1 1/2 good batman movies and a bit of Memento ?

Prestige ?
    Inception ?
    Dunkirk?

I N T E R S T E L L A R ? ? ? ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Going to see it again on Friday, can't wait!!

I've seen it twice since saturday already. Its taking everything I have to resist go again.

Gonna go again also.

Seen it in Lighthouse 1 (35mm) and thought it seemed a little on the small side so might go see it in the IMAX at the weekend, soundtrack should be better enjoyed there also.

Gonna go again also.

Seen it in Lighthouse 1 (35mm) and thought it seemed a little on the small side so might go see it in the IMAX at the weekend, soundtrack should be better enjoyed there also.

Oh I was gonna go there. Or is IFI better option?? Tho looking at their website the 35mm only shows for a few more days.
    Maybe I will just go to vue and forget about the 35mm.

Oh I'd go with the Lighthouse Screen 1 over the IFI or Vue anyday, just make sure you don't sit too far back or off to the sides, that was my mistake there I think.

I'm just curious about what it will look like in IMAX really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

His strongest and most complete film by a distance imo(havent seen OUATIH yet)

1 1/2 good batman movies and a bit of Memento ?

Prestige ?
    Inception ?
    Dunkirk?

I N T E R S T E L L A R ? ? ? ?

I thought Inception was boring and The Prestige a bit too.

Lover Interstellar and Memento is a great concept.

I think Nolan and Tarantino have a signature style that makes their work easy to identify and talk about.

But I personally agree with The Nal that they are overrated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,731 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Or, there isn't a director better than Tarantino. Except Christopher Nolan. Overratedness is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

I like both of them to varying degrees (both have their duds), but I’d go as far as saying there are several dozen working directors making superior or at least just as good work.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,838 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Inception can be accused of many things... but boring????
    Its pretty much a full on 100mph movie in which you have to stay with or you loose the story.

100mph?

The movie is full of exposition as they try to explain the whole concept of inception as well as the inceptions they intend to carry out. Not difficult to keep up with (from a pacing perspective). But difficult to stay interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Oh I was gonna go there. Or is IFI better option?? Tho looking at their website the 35mm only shows for a few more days.
    Maybe I will just go to vue and forget about the 35mm.

I saw it in 35mm at Light House and would recommend it! Looked and sounded fantastic.

Although I also think that Screen 1 in Light House is the perfect size for most films. Bigger not always better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Pulp Fiction - Classic
    Django Unchained - Awful

3/9

Why the hate for Django I thought it was a very enjoyable movie,
    also thought hateful 8 was brilliant ,

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭El Duda

I think Django is easily his worst film. Very messy.

Hateful 8 is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Went again this afternoon this time in Light House e 35mm superb viewing experience. Stayed until end credits I didn’t realize there is an extra scene with Rick Dalton in a cigarette commercial!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Why the hate for Django I thought it was a very enjoyable movie,
    also thought hateful 8 was brilliant ,

Absolutely, Di Caprio, Waltz and Jackson are superb in Django. Kurl Russell and Jackson likewise in Hateful 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Wow that really does lull you a couple of times leading to a fantastic pay off , beautifully shot , great performances and Brad Pitt is now full on Robert Redford
    It’s light but has that feel that you think it’s leading to real darkness

Tarantino does it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

El Duda wrote: »

Hateful 8 is much better.

Actually think Django is his best film, followed closely by Reservoir Dogs and then Pulp Fiction. Thought both the Kill Bills were his worst, but it's all a matter of taste I suppose.

He really is a great director though, there's not too many out there that make such an impact when they release a film and he's one of the most unique in terms of style aswell.

So many of us have grown up with Tarantino films too. Quarter of century is quite a span of time. I was 19 for Dogs and now in my mid-40s seeing this. I expect maybe teenagers just coming upon his films and watching them all back to back might have a different perspective entirely.

I have love for all his films anyway. Be hard for me to pick a favourite really.

Death Proof gets a hard time but I loved it. Was lucky enough to be at the Savoy One screening which Tarantino attended. Was epic.

Been 12 years now but from memory I'm pretty sure he said at the end of his talk that he was now supposed to rush off and do TLLS but would rather stay and watch the film with everyone there instead. Then he said something like he hoped Irish audiences were like black audiences and that we would get involved in the action throughout.

We're much too reserved for that of course but it was a lively enough screening from what I can recall and I thoroughly enjoyed it. One of favourite screenings of a film I've been to for sure.

So many of us have grown up with Tarantino films too. Quarter of century is quite a span of time. I was 19 for Dogs and now in my mid-40s seeing this. I expect maybe teenagers just coming upon his films and watching them all back to back might have a different perspective entirely.

I'm of a similar age to you (but this is the second time today someone's suggested that I might have an opinion because I’m from a different generation*) but don’t hold him in the same regard. I think he’s been fairly inconsistent and hasn’t done anything as good as his first two films.

So I think it probably just boils down to people's tastes at the end of the day (though maybe more people from our generation treat QT as a sacred cow).

*I know your comment was a generalisation and not aimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

El Duda wrote: »

I find that such a strange opinion, especially when Tarantino has Deathproof on his CV.

I would put Jackie Brown 1st, Pulp Fiction 2nd, Once Upon A Time 3rd.

Deathproof was abysmal (I was in the Savoy when Tarantino was there for a Q and A after its premiere. His fanboys lapped it up, but he really went down in my estimation after that piece of ****).

I liked the first Kill Bill when it came out, and thought the second was total rubbish. Now I think they are both crap :P

Django and Inglorious were solid but still fluff.

Reservoir is a horrible movie, but with some good performances especially from Keitel and Chris Penn. Tim Roth ruined the whole movie though; terrible overacting.

I view Tarantino as a very talented film maker, but he's also an overgrown teenager, with nothing to say. A lot of style over substance, and sometimes his juvenile qualities can be extremely off-putting.

Was quite disappointed with this. It was long. Unnecessarily so. I can think of a few scenes that could be dropped and nothing would be lost. Margot Robbie could be removed and you wouldn't notice. I think you needed some back story on roman polanski. If I knew more about Hollywood, maybe it could have been better. If I was a generation older and was familiar with that era, it could have been better. There was some good moments but the movie as a whole felt disjointed and sometimes misleading. Fair few dead ends. I felt like I was waiting for it to properly start for half of it. It's not terrible. It's grand. Quinten Tarintino is always worth seeing as he throws in a lot of random shots and is always breaking the rules. DIcaprio and Pitt were outstanding at times but the entire plot was a big pile of meh.

Was quite disappointed with this. It was long. Unnecessarily so. I can think of a few scenes that could be dropped and nothing would be lost. Margot Robbie could be removed and you wouldn't notice. I think you needed some back story on roman polanski. If I knew more about Hollywood, maybe it could have been better. If I was a generation older and was familiar with that era, it could have been better. There was some good moments but the movie as a whole felt disjointed and sometimes misleading. Fair few dead ends. I felt like I was waiting for it to properly start for half of it. It's not terrible. It's grand. Quinten Tarintino is always worth seeing as he throws in a lot of random shots and is always breaking the rules. DIcaprio and Pitt were outstanding at times but the entire plot was a big pile of meh.

If you did read up a bit you'd have enjoyed it

Was Trudy some sort of #metoo reference?

• Advertisement

In what way?

Earthhorse wrote: »
    In what way?

The way she was schooling leonardo's character on his behaviour?

I would have said she is just a precocious child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

Was Cliff's wife a reference to
    Natalie Wood and her somewhat mysterious demise
    ?

Of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I view Tarantino as a very talented film maker, but he's also an overgrown teenager, with nothing to say. A lot of style over substance, and sometimes his juvenile qualities can be extremely off-putting.

Tarantino's films always have something to say. The empowering of victims, the cathartic effect of revenge, film as a way of righting past wrongs etc.

There's lots of substance there amongst the bubblegum pop culture and ultra-violence.

• Advertisement

Is it possible to book tkts for lighthouse cinema without paying for the membership fee??

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Tarantino's films always have something to say. The empowering of victims, the cathartic effect of revenge, film as a way of righting past wrongs etc.

There's lots of substance there amongst the bubblegum pop culture and ultra-violence.

I disagree entirely with this. "Film as a way of righting past wrongs"... Wtf?
    Hitler gets assassinated in one movie, the Tate murder didn't happen in another...that's just shallow revenge fantasy, that a kid would write. It would have been far more interesting to see how the Brad/Leo characters react and change, and indeed how Hollywood changed, following the actions of the Manson family.
    His violence towards women is very distasteful too; this movie, Hateful Eight, even Kill Bill...he's very talented, but he has got some majors issues that he just cannot stop laying bare on film. And I liked this movie (for the most part)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yikes, spoilers! :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, there's that spoiled. I mean, it's my own fault really as having yet to see the movie I should have stayed away - but it was interesting to read peoples' opinions.

Though having had it spoiled that ending sounds bloody stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

adox wrote: »
    Yikes, spoilers! :mad:

I'll up the ante on that: ffs, spoiler!
    Galway traffic meant I was gonna miss start yesterday evening, so I abandoned going to see it til next week.:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement