Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quiz marque 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,078 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Wandering Jenny, Wandering Jew

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Thought u might get it haha. Yours is of course a spider plant.

I might be a while with another Q

edit:
    Where would you find occipital condyles?

So I need another question!

I know the first half of B's question, but not the second, so I will leave it for someone else.

Back shortly...

What would you expect to find - what is it famous for - in Ngorongoro Crater? Bonus points for saying where it is.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Thought u might get it haha. Yours is of course a spider plant.

I might be a while with another Q

edit:
    Where would you find occipital condyles?

The back of your head?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think I may have accidentally found the cycling answer when I wasn't looking for it.

1316384751792484352-png__700.jpg

Now, I don't know if that's the right answer, but while you good folks have a think about the Diane Lane one I'll add two more clues, big ones: Paris and Venice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

New Home wrote: »
    Sorry Feargale - my question: what was Diane Lane's debut film?

Murder on the Orient Express

I think I may have accidentally found the cycling answer when I wasn't looking for it.

1316384751792484352-png__700.jpg

Eritrea it is, introduced by Italians. Cycling is an expensive sport and in one of the world's great ironies it is the national sport of Eritrea which consistently ranks among the world's dozen poorest countries.
    It's capital Asmara is said to be one of Africa's most attractive cities, another Italian influence being its modern architecture, especially Art Deco. Unfortunately at this time it chafes under one of the world's most oppressive regimes.

feargale wrote: »
    Murder on the Orient Express

No, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The back of your head?

Close enough. At the the base of the skull either side of where the spinal cord comes in.

• Advertisement

Oh dear, oh dear.

2. If and when Charles succeeds QEII he will be the first twice-married monarch of England/Great Britain since who?

Clue: After KH8, before QE2. This fellow's second marriage caused quite a commotion.

Second clue: A Stuart.

Third clue: The Irish gave him a nasty nickname.

Fourth clue: He lost his crown (fifth clue not Jill's friend Jack who fell down. :))

Hmm. Was his second wife called Wallis, by any chance?

Hmm. Was his second wife called Wallis, by any chance?

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Is he the origin of Humpty Dumpty rhyme?

Ah, but of couse! King Eggdward I!

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Is he the origin of Humpty Dumpty rhyme?

I don't know who the origin of that rhyme is.
    Dammit, there were only so many kings between H8 and QE2. There were fewer Stuarts.

Ah, but of couse! King Eggdward I!

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

A few of the Charles's were Stuarts, no idea of anymore about them.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    A few of the Charles's were Stuarts, no idea of anymore about them.

Fifth clue: A Stuart but not a Charles.

Fifth clue: A Stuart but not a Charles.

There were only two Stuart kings of England who were not Charles i.e. James I and James Ii.
    The answer is James II, a catholic who firstly married protestant Anne Hyde and had two daughters with her, both of whom became queen of England, Mary, wife and co-monarch of William of Orange and Anne. When Anne Hyde died James married the catholic Maria of Modena, much to the discomfiture of his mainly protestant subjects who decided to grin and bear it. However when Maria gave birth to a catholic son, the nobles had enough and invited young Mary's husband Dutch Billy aforesaid to invade, which he did and eventually defeated James at the Boyne.

New question:
    Which country's national anthem was originally titled "War Song for the Army of the Rhine"?

• Advertisement

Ok, I will get rid of the obvious Germany guess :D

I know its not that because I have since looked it up! Good question!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

There were only two Stuart kings of England who were not Charles i.e. James I and James Ii.
    The answer is James II, a catholic who firstly married protestant Anne Hyde and had two daughters with her, both of whom became queen of England, Mary, wife and co-monarch of William of Orange and Anne. When Anne Hyde died James married the catholic Maria of Modena, much to the discomfiture of his mainly protestant subjects who decided to grin and bear it. However when Maria gave birth to a catholic son, the nobles had enough and invited young Mary's husband Dutch Billy aforesaid to invade, which he did and eventually defeated James at the Boyne.

New question:
    Which country's national anthem was originally titled "War Song for the Army of the Rhine"?

Must be France?

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Must be France?

Correct. It's the original title of La Marsellaise.

Very quick answer. Well done. Vast improvement on answers to the last question. :confused:

Over to you now.

Correct. It's the original title of La Marsellaise.

Very quick answer. Well done. Vast improvement on answers to the last question. :confused:

Over to you now.

You asked something in my realm for a change :D

Who became the first female member of Congress back in 1916?

IrishZeus wrote: »
    You asked something in my realm for a change :D

Who became the first female member of Congress back in 1916?

Clue?

Time for a question:

What is a bulbul?

An offspring of a bulb, I think.

EDIT: No, that's a bulbil, not a bulbul.

BTW, the answer to my question re: Diane Lane's first film role was "A Little Romance", I think she was perhaps 12 or 13 at the time. It was set in Paris and then Venice. The music I was referring to was the Largo from Vivaldi's Lute Concerto in D Major RV93. Stunning music, very sweet film.

Music starts at 1h 44' 30''

Clue?

Sorry for the delay folks.

1) Was referred to as “the lady of the House”, at times

2) Initials J R

• Advertisement

I have come across that word bulbul recently, but I can't recall what it means. It may surface after a while...

Dammit, my brain was going 'chaffinch' (in the sense of generic bird) and I was ignoring it - but turns out I should have listened - I was reading a book about India recently and that was where I saw the reference - it is in fact a bird.

So its a bit suspect, but I am going to claim it. :D

Advertisement