Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quiz marque 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You have it! It can also refer to sewing or embroidery or crochet or any craft that can be undone and redone. It supposedly comes from the noise (American) frogs make - the ribbit! sounds a bit like 'rip it'. Which is interestingly (afaik) the term usually used in Ireland, in England they tend to say 'unpick' it, or for knitting 'pull it back'.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

This thread is unravelling.... :pac:

I'd prefer to call it "Peneloping". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

She recently attempted to knit some gloves. Many frogs have perished in the good fight since.

I shall return with a question soon.

What did William Morrison invent, and why is it so unusual that he did?

Hint - it’s a food type he invented

• Advertisement

Hm, I touched on William Morris (Kelmscott Press mostly) but I don't recall any foodstuffs. Unless it was a drink, there may be something there?

Not a drink, no

Haven't a clue, so.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Tobacco chew thingies but he was allergic to nicotine?

Oh, look, NH is practicing her favourite sport again - clutching at straws.

New Home wrote: »
    Tobacco chew thingies but he was allergic to nicotine?

Oh, look, NH is practicing her favourite sport again - clutching at straws.

Lord that sounds revolting!

• Advertisement

Have you ever watched any Westerns? The spittons abounded. :D

Well yes, but I prefer not to think about it. :(:D

All umbrella stands. That's how I prefer to think of them. Nothing bad about umbrella stands.

Final hint - he was a dentist.

Final final hint - the food stuff is somehow related to a dental hygiene product.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Final hint - he was a dentist.

Final final hint - the food stuff is somehow related to a dental hygiene product.

Candy floss

Tooth powder? Not exactly a food product though.

Associated anecdote...when we were growing up the whole business of teeth cleaning and hygiene was not taken as seriously as it (rightly) is now. However we did have toothbrushes and tooth - er, not exactly paste, it was a substance a bit like a watercolour block, a round tablet of pink, hardish stuff in a tin that you scrubbed your toothbrush on then applied to your teeth. Really not very convenient and was like slightly minty chalk.

Gobstoppers!!!

feargale wrote: »
    Candy floss

Correct feargale!

'somehow related', hmm, yes :D

IrishZeus wrote: »
    What did William Morrison invent, and why is it so unusual that he did?

Unusual? Hmmm. I'm not so sure. I'd say that dentist was keen to expand his practice.
    The very first lesson I had in commerce was in national school when another kid was sharpening his pencil with a topper and each time he tried to sharpen it another piece of the pencil broke off. Teacher informed us that the toppers were made by the same people who made the pencils.

Anyway, this is outstanding for some time:
    If and when Charles succeeds QEII he will be the first twice-married monarch of England/Great Britain since who?

And as a Christmas present:
    What species were the 'Four Calling Birds' in the original version of "The Twelve Days of Christmas"? Modern name, please.

• Advertisement

Blackbirds (we had that before :))

Blackbirds (we had that before :))

Right. I wasn't sure if we had. Blackbirds were called colly birds.
    Your question please.

P.S. I'm surprised that nobody is attempting this nice, easy question:
    quote="feargale;115585204"]If and when Charles succeeds QEII he will be the first twice-married monarch of England/Great Britain since who?[/quote]

And they weren't calling birds...they were Colly birds, as in coal, black.

Right. I wasn't sure if we had. Blackbirds were called colly birds.
    Your question please.

P.S. I'm surprised that nobody is attempting this nice, easy question:
    If and when Charles succeeds QEII he will be the first twice-married monarch of England/Great Britain since who?

The previous one? :pac:

The previous one? :pac:

????

Since the previous monarch who got married twice. :p

My guess of Henry VIII was knocked on the head, so...

Since the previous monarch who got married twice. :p

My guess of Henry VIII was knocked on the head, so...

Yes. Not H8. Though he was married twice three times. Try again.

But, technically, that means he was also married twice. :pac:

Right, I owe two, I think.

1. Who's the only person to have been awarded stars in all five categories on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (film, television, music, radio, and live performance)?
    2. What have all British tanks been equipped with since 1945?

A steering system?

• Advertisement

No.

Advertisement