Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass shooting New Zealand Mosque - MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

You can get a hand gun in Dublin for less than €500.

I have no idea if that’s true or not, but assuming it is, you’d need to be fairly well connected to a criminal gang to get hooked up with one, you’d have to assume.

It’s quite difficult for an Average Joe to get a gun here is the point.

I wouldn’t know how to go about it.

And that’s why gun crime here is mostly limited to gangs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

and Donald wanting to exclude "all muslims" is likely to feed the sick minds of these tossers. but he doesn't care so long as he gets a cheap cheer from the faithful.
    considering the extent to which Americans are weaponised, "leaders" like him are playing with people's lives.
    Especially when the ar*ehole went talking about 'invasions' of foreigners quite literally the day after this attack.

Nobody can pretend that was an 'accident' or coincidence. This is what he courts and encourages, even recently bragging about how 'tough' and violent his supporters are willing to be for him, calling far right terrorists and white supremacists 'very fine people', point blank making up Muslim terror attacks that never even happened, and defunding anti terror groups that were noting a strong rise in far right extremism.

This is very much a global issue largely spread online and at this point absolutely needs to rr addressed or it will onl get worse. I 100% guarantee Islamic extremists were delighted this happened just as right wing extremists take delight from Muslim terror attacks, and are in full on recruitment mode because of it.

The big issue here is the battle for the narrative in my opinion. For decades the extremists have mostly been sidelined, allowing the wider spectrum to work toward consensus, with centre left, centre right and 'true' centrists working as a go between for left and right wingers to communicate. The rise of the internet and social media, much like the rise of mass media a century ago (radio became prominent largely in line with the popularity of communism and Fascism which spread across it, and the inventor of the loudspeaker went to his grave feeling guilt for the holocaust as Hitler used it as a means to communicate en masse to his supporters and the wife public), is showing the 'far' sides of the spectrum use the same sorts of lies and scaremongering that caused these huge divisions and breakdown of the centrists role. The use of 'nod and wink' references by the far right can be seen all over, and I have little doubt that the same is true of Islamists in the Muslim online world.

Until we find a way to gravitate people further back to the center and to have stronger critical thinking skills (e.g bullsh*t detectors, and why critical thinking should be heavily incorporated in education from the get go), this will continue to be a problem. One small silver lining (and huge irony given they were the ones who always told us to not believe anything online) at least is that older generations have been shown to be far, far more susceptible to this so younger people may be developing some of these skills naturally, but that is not enough given the perpetrators of these atrocities are typically south of 30. But having hugely prominent national leaders like the president of the US praise these 'very fine' people and goading for more extremism is something that absolutely cannot go on or be tolerated in the interests of anyone and everyone who is not an extremist.

That is some Orwellian **** you are proposing there friendo.

He doesn't realise it's a meme.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

I watched the video, it was pure evil of the highest degree. What some so called human beings are capable of beggars belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

He doesn't realise it's a meme.

C'mon guys, dogwhistles to people on the verge of genocide...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

What is a 'dogwhistle'?

It’s a whistle that only a dog can hear. Figuratively it means to say something that can be picked up by certain audience.

I’m not sure what this YouTube guy is supposed to be dog whistling about since I know nothing about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

It’s a whistle that only a dog can hear. Figuratively it means to say something that can be picked up by certain audience.

I’m not sure what this YouTube guy is supposed to be dog whistling about since I know nothing about him.

he's payed lip service to the alt-right for a long time now with "edgy" memes and videos

blob:https://imgur.com/0a161aad-7339-4272-94df-867d6daadda5
    qJFXdzW.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Looks like someone ready to go play airsolft. He's pandering to the mid-late teens gamers, it's this audience.
    What has it got to do with the alt-right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Why is his face blurred on news reports?the whole planet know s who he is.
    Because it's the law in New Zealand

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The death toll has risen to 50 according to sky news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The death toll has risen to 50 according to sky news.

And BBC
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47593693

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

The man who tackled the gunman has apparently died.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

He is the most successful Youtuber in history. He mostly films himself playing video games. The reasons for associating him with the alt-right are multifaceted, but the most important aspect by far is crippling stupidity.

MrFresh wrote: »
    The man who tackled the gunman has apparently died.

Well it is the guy who tackled the gunman who has died, then it may be a small bit of comfort for his family that he tried to stop that ****ing madman from his killing spree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

He is the most successful Youtuber in history. He mostly films himself playing video games. The reasons for associating him with the alt-right are multifaceted, but the most important aspect by far is crippling stupidity.

He called a guy the n word while playing a game. It was a very casual use of the word. It's hardly stupidity to draw inferences from that alone. Then there is the "Death to all Jews" thing. I don't personally think he is alt right but it's his own stupidity that people think he may be.

MrFresh wrote: »
    He called a guy the n word while playing a game. It was a very casual use of the word. It's hardly stupidity to draw inferences from that alone. Then there is the "Death to all Jews" thing. I don't personally think he is alt right but it's his own stupidity that people think he may be.

No doubt he has done dumb **** that has been aired. He is appealing to a young audience, films himself every day, has no editor, and attempts to be cool and edgy. Making the jump from that to 'he is alt-right' is mind boggling. Even saying that he is appealing to an 'alt-right' audience: most of his viewers are teenagers! Unless one means that being 'alt-right' is being politically incorrect, but by that stage language probably doesn't really possess much meaning any more, making the idea of expressing an opinion on the matter null and void.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The shooter is still making reference to memes and it's still working
    He used the OK hand simbol today in court, there has been an ongoing joke to keep posting this symbol on social media to trick the traditional media into thinking this is actually a white supremacists secret sign.
    The media continue to be confused by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

No doubt he has done dumb **** that has been aired. He is appealing to a young audience, films himself every day, has no editor, and attempts to be cool and edgy. Making the jump from that to 'he is alt-right' is mind boggling. Even saying that he is appealing to an 'alt-right' audience: most of his viewers are teenagers! Unless one means that being 'alt-right' is being politically incorrect, but by that stage language probably doesn't really possess much meaning any more, making the idea of expressing an opinion on the matter null and void.

He does have editors, one of them leaked this:

https://my.mixtape.moe/ulxdpv.webm

El_Bee wrote: »
    He does have editors, one of them leaked this:

https://my.mixtape.moe/ulxdpv.webm

I really hope you are joking. That was edited, yes, by some random person on the internet. The unedited version can be found here (you actually made me search for it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jd1bHVYV2M

And yes, that was a really stupid way for him to address a different controversy. Fighting fire with fire is not wise when the most extreme of people on both the left and right are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think at this point in time its obvious its time for every country
    to ban the purchase of semi automatic weapons , machine guns
    by civilians .
    There should be strict laws on gun control ,anyone who commits a serious crime should not be allowed to buy a gun or rifle of any kind.
    All weapons have to registered and there have to rules
    re storage of weapons, and the purchase of bullets and ammunition
    I can not think of a reason why ordinary people need to purchase machine guns.
    Australia had one mass shooting and brought in strict gun comtrol laws
    and has had no serious incidents since.
    I, not a security expert but maybe large buildings
    and mosques, need some kind of security measures ,
    like security gaurds ,locked doors ,
    camera,s to stop random people entering the building
    any time they wish.
    There many religions in the world,
    millions of muslims live in the uk and america, and europe,
    99.9 per cent of them do not commit any crime and simply live in peace .
    Many countrys in the middle east are mostly muslim, with some christians and people of various religions living there,
    and they live in peace.
    There are 1000,s of followers of various alt right extremist movements in the usa,
    history has shown that it does not require being a member of a church or a particular religion to commit acts of violence against other people.
    I don,t think that youtuber is alt right ,but he has made jokes would be at least seen to be in poor taste or else he is maybe slightly stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

looking at the ages of some of the victims makes me angry.

Mucad Ibrahim, 3

Abdullahi Dirie, 4

Sayyad Milne, 14

Khaled Mustafa and his son Hamza, 16

just children.
    sick ****wit.
    authorities should just drop him off in Islamabad with a sign on his back. we'd see how much of a warrior he was then.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Mucad Ibrahim, 3

Abdullahi Dirie, 4

Sayyad Milne, 14

just children.
    sick ****wit.
    authorities should just drop him off in Islamabad with a sign on his back. we'd see how much of a warrior he was then.

He is not a warrior

If he was he would have traveled over and fought ISIS on the ground like many did

Murdering people on their knees in a peaceful place of worship is cowardly

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

riclad wrote: »
    I think at this point in time its obvious its time for every country
    to ban the purchase of semi automatic weapons , machine guns
    by civilians .
    There should be strict laws on gun control ,anyone who commits a serious crime should not be allowed to buy a gun or rifle of any kind.
    All weapons have to registered and there have to rules
    re storage of weapons, and the purchase of bullets and ammunition
    And in every case you mention this animal could have perpetrated the same outrage. He had no previous convictions, his guns were legally bought and registered and one weapon he used was a shotgun.
    I can not think of a reason why ordinary people need to purchase machine guns.
    What do you think a "machine gun" is? I suspect you don't know. In any case, save for a tiny number of places fully automatic weapons(which is what I'm guessing you mean by "machine guns") are banned from personal ownership.
    Australia had one mass shooting and brought in strict gun comtrol laws
    and has had no serious incidents since.
    Actually it has. There have been a number of firearms murders involving multiple victims. The Port Arthur massacre was the outlier for Australia. It hadn't happened before the more regulated gun laws came in and something on that scale hasn't happened since. America is a different situation again. But consider this; in the 1920's and 30's in America you could buy a fully automatic Thompson "machine gun"(Tommy gun) by mail order and yet no mass shootings.The US today has more gun control than any time in its history and yet US style mass shooting sprees have increased over time.

I'm not saying strict regulation of personal firearms isn't a major factor, I am saying it's not the only one and it's an all too easy answer that ignores many of the questions it seeks to answer.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote:
    I'm not saying strict regulation of personal firearms isn't a major factor, I am saying it's not the only one and it's an all too easy answer that ignores many of the questions it seeks to answer.

G'way with all your reasoning. That's not fair to people who want to argue with emotion

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wibbs wrote: »
    And in every case you mention this animal could have perpetrated the same outrage. He had no previous convictions, his guns were legally bought and registered and one weapon he used was a shotgun.
    What do you think a "machine gun" is? I suspect you don't know. In any case, save for a tiny number of places fully automatic weapons(which is what I'm guessing you mean by "machine guns") are banned from personal ownership.

Actually it has. There have been a number of firearms murders involving multiple victims. The Port Arthur massacre was the outlier for Australia. It hadn't happened before the more regulated gun laws came in and something on that scale hasn't happened since. America is a different situation again. But consider this; in the 1920's and 30's in America you could buy a fully automatic Thompson "machine gun"(Tommy gun) by mail order and yet no mass shootings.The US today has more gun control than any time in its history and yet US style mass shooting sprees have increased over time.

There was plenty of mass killings in the era of Tommy guns.

This is the type of inane NRA new age facts that they use to distort the past.

The 1930s no different to now in the sense that there is no domestic use of a semi or full automatic weapon.

There simply isn't

And pretending the past was some paradise is equally as dillusional.

Also. I'm surprised at you. We don't legislate for the past we legislate for today and the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

He is not a warrior

If he was he would have traveled over and fought ISIS on the ground like many did

Murdering people on their knees in a peaceful place of worship is cowardly

what's particularly cowardly is to murder little children.
    he is no warrior.
    just a cowardly scumbag.

Mucad Ibrahim, 3

Abdullahi Dirie, 4

Sayyad Milne, 14

just children.
    sick ****wit.
    he's what my Leaving Cert History teacher described as "Self important jumped up little bollocks"

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

tuxy wrote: »
    The shooter is still making reference to memes and it's still working
    He used the OK hand simbol today in court, there has been an ongoing joke to keep posting this symbol on social media to trick the traditional media into thinking this is actually a white supremacists secret sign.
    The media continue to be confused by it.

Yea i noticed  that, especially  with the few clips i watched the pewdiepie refrences the music being played, the media really are eating up this Alt-right angle when in reality hes just a sick demented troll. I  didn't go through his manifesto but with the condiditary statements he seems to make throughout thats how all this sounds. This video I watched earlier explains it much better .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Has there been any updates on charges for any of the other 3 people arrested in connection with this attack?

Advertisement