Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass shooting New Zealand Mosque - MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Kivaro wrote: »
    Some will give themselves up when cornered instead of fighting it out with armed police because they are essentially cowards.

Would he go up in your estimation if he tried to gun down a few police officers?

Would that have made him brave?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Hobosan wrote: »
    Would he go up in your estimation if he tried to gun down a few police officers?

He said in his manifesto he admired the NZ police and didn't want to hurt any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Fianna Fail rep on the radio right now calling for harsh regulation of online to stop stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

To prevent another Christchurch we must confront the right’s hate preachers

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/15/prevent-another-christchurch-confront-right-hate-preachers?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Brilliant article. Populism has a huge part to play.

Pewdiepie is an ethnonationalist. He hates non-whites and dog whistles to people who are on the verge of genocide. In light of this attack, the phrase 'subscribe to pewdiepie' must be considered a call to violence.

Holy hysteria, Batman.

My teenage students in Vietnam say it all the time because it's a massive meme. Should I ban it and tell them they're supporting white nationalists?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

It didn’t stop any actual terrorist of course.

no but your much less likely to have mass shootings by your common or garden fruitcake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

To prevent another Christchurch we must confront the right’s hate preachers

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/15/prevent-another-christchurch-confront-right-hate-preachers?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Brilliant article. Populism has a huge part to play.

and Donald wanting to exclude "all muslims" is likely to feed the sick minds of these tossers. but he doesn't care so long as he gets a cheap cheer from the faithful.
    considering the extent to which Americans are weaponised, "leaders" like him are playing with people's lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Death penalty would not deter this kind of mass shooting. Alot of mass shooters end up killing themselves.

I'll never understand why people think the death penalty is a deterrent or claim that it is/isn't, the death penalty is for people like this guy who are simply too dangerous or have committed too horrific a crime to ever be allowed back into society, the debate should be whether they deserve a "humane" removal from society or should they be condemned to a small cell for the rest of their natural lives.

Considering the island of Ireland has a fine record of producing domestic terrorists I'm really glad that guns are highly restricted.

Gunmen-disguised-as-Gardai.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    Do we know that for sure?

I’d imagine it made it quite a bit more difficult and a helluva lot more expensive to get your hands on weapons.

Now that may not have stopped the IRA, but it likely slowed them down. And it almost definitely deterred some young folk who would have loved the glory of taking out a Brit but weren’t actually in any group.

You can get a hand gun in Dublin for less than €500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

China must be loving this. Putting millions of Muslims in concentration camps while Westerners pinpoint pewdiepie as the cause of their strife.

A gang of 40 Black Supremacists put a random 14 year old in hospital in Ireland very recently and not a peep on boards or the media.

Forgive me if I perceive that the outrage is predictably selective in which crimes get exposure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

biko wrote: »
    That's ok, the most popular youtuber ever don't need your sympathy, nor your smears.

I don't think you can call it a smear. The man uses the n word casually as an insult.
    interesting discussion on LBC on what motivates these white supremicist/ISIS fruitcakes.
    basically they are mirror images of each other.

Both ends of the religious extremist spectrum. One loves the religion too much, the other hates it too much.

El_Bee wrote: »

That picture isn't of terrorism. Thought it was from a gang feud.

Holy hysteria, Batman.

My teenage students in Vietnam say it all the time because it's a massive meme. Should I ban it and tell them they're supporting white nationalists?

It's a sickness, he's far to big to non person so they keep trying and hoping to take him down one day.

It's also why we won't see anything really be solved here both sides are using it to score political points.

That picture isn't of terrorism. Thought it was from a gang feud.

I was replying to someone claiming that guns are hard to procure in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

People are being polarised and forced into left and right wing bubbles.
    Then this leads to radicalisation.
    I think long term the only solution is going to be shutting down the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Pewdiepie is an ethnonationalist. He hates non-whites and dog whistles to people who are on the verge of genocide. In light of this attack, the phrase 'subscribe to pewdiepie' must be considered a call to violence.

PewDiePie is the most followed person on the internet. 'Subscribe to PewDiePie' is literally the biggest meme of the past year. The guy mentioned him to get more attention. The same way he mentioned the mayor of London, Merkel, Trump ect.

Bob Dylan comes to mind. "Don't criticize, what you can't understand". Or maybe we should just get Ja Rule's opinion on the whole thing and let him explain it to us.

PewDiePie is the most followed person on the internet. 'Subscribe to PewDiePie' is literally the biggest meme of the past year. The guy mentioned him to get more attention. The same way he mentioned the mayor of London, Merkel, Trump ect.

Bob Dylan comes to mind. "Don't criticize, what you don't understand".

Didn't he intentionally mention these people as part of his plan to drive division? As he knew this would be the reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Hobosan wrote: »
    China must be loving this. Putting millions of Muslims in concentration camps while Westerners pinpoint pewdiepie as the cause of their strife.

A gang of 40 Black Supremacists put a random 14 year old in hospital in Ireland very recently and not a peep on boards or the media.

Forgive me if I perceive that the outrage is predictably selective in which crimes get exposure.

You're actually comparing some kid getting put in the hospital with 49 people being killed in cold blood ?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Cut the crap out.

Stay on topic. Stop trolling others. Treat this incident and it's victims with respect. Stop engaging with trolls.

I've tried tidying the thread but lots of interesting points were comingled with BS so they had to go.

If you want an open debate stay on topic and stop filling the thread with nonsense.

• Advertisement

In fairness, if the IRA had access to unlimited caches of semi automatic weapons and ammunition things would have been much worse.

The IRA were only effective because they had thousands of people involved with trusted international networks. Compare that to how the Loyalist organisations operated that had nowhere near the same capability, despite some help from the British state.

In fairness, if the IRA had access to unlimited caches of semi automatic weapons and ammunition things would have been much worse.

The IRA were only effective because they had thousands of people involved with trusted international networks. Compare that to how the Loyalist organisations operated that had nowhere near the same capability, despite some help from the British state.

Again, my point was that even in a country with a lot of restrictions on guns like Ireland, you can still get your hands on high powered weapons, I commented in the gangland thread about how it was a miracle it wasn't a bloodbath in there, given the damage AK/AK variants can do.

Again, my point was that even in a country with a lot of restrictions on guns like Ireland, you can still get your hands on high powered weapons, I commented in the gangland thread about how it was a miracle it wasn't a bloodbath in there, given the damage AK/AK variants can do.

It would be much harder for a lone wolf to carry out this type of attack in Ireland. New Zealand was targeted because they have such lax laws on gun restrictions there. This guy would have done it in Oz if he could have.

Making high powered weaponry hard to get in a country (Especially an island) greatly reduces the chances of an attack like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It makes buying them extremely expensive. Why do you think it could have been a bloodbath? They were looking for one target and just killed a secondary out of frustration. Killing anyone else would be counterproductive. Why would a drug gang target civilians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It would be much harder for a lone wolf to carry out this type of attack in Ireland.

Excatly, if I was to approach these gangs looking to buy an AK they would either just laugh at me or take my money and then laugh at me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

batgoat wrote: »
    Well, legislation on firearms did prevent another Dunblane massacre happening. Similar for Australia. So yep you're gonna get bombers but spree shootings have been eradicated in the UK and Australia.

They weren't exactly a common occurrence before the legislative changes, and are not a common occurrence now. I can't speak to the UK, but in Australia, there are now more firearms than there were before Port Arthur. There is nothing stopping the owner of a Glock, the same weapon Cho used to kill 33 in VA Tech and available at your local gun shop in Sydney, from doing the same in his local town.

The reason you don't see Australians going around shooting up places as often isn't the gun laws, it's the fact that Australians are generally not inclined to do so in the first place. It's the same reason New Zealanders generally don't go around doing it despite firearms being so prevalent. In this case, they still didn't, it was an Aussie.

With respect to New Zealand, let's assume they change the laws dramatically. They will come across the exact same problem that hit Canada, Australia and some US States. In a population of under five million, there are almost one and a half million firearms, almost none of them registered or traceable. We know that an attempt to register (Not ban, just register) rifles in Canada failed. We know that the Australian buyback took an estimated under a third of eligible rifles out of circulation. What makes anyone think that because the NZ government holds a signing ceremony with press conference enacting said new legislation that there would be a practical effect on the ground?

The reality would be that New Zealanders haven't changed, and are still not likely inclined to go around shooting at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Bob Dylan comes to mind. "Don't criticize, what you can't understand". Or maybe we should just get Ja Rule's opinion on the whole thing and let him explain it to us.

I thought I was satiring hard enough, obviously not, my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I apologise for what i said earlier.i offended people im told.
    Give the man a fair trial and if hes convicted a nice cell with a PlayStation and tv and all mod cons.let him relax and enjoy the rest of his days.

I thought I was satiring hard enough, obviously not, my bad.

Sorry didn't realise. But he's been a target of the Washington Post in the past. A prominent director from Christchurch blamed him within an hour of the attack. And a lot of Twitter have their eyes set on him. Genuinely thought you were being serious.

He's had to come out and condemn the attack when I think it's usually something he wouldn't go near.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I just saw a video online now of the massacre and it is absolutely shocking, words can't describe it. It was like something out of Xbox.

Like Breivik he achieved what he set out to do, I would gladly like to see him executed but NZ does not have the death penalty.

I'm no fan of Islam and the terror it propagates on a daily basis worldwide but these were innocent men, women and children fighting no war. The extreme split between the left and right around the world will probably lead to more incidents like this, especially copycat incidents.

As for the nutjobs trying to say this was faked, watch the video, it was very real.

Advertisement