Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sh*te your co-workers say

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It's the women talking about their kids, pets and clothes, and men about gaa and football or the I was so pissed at the weekend stories

People are dull aren't they?

This thread is a tough read. A lot of the issues seem innocuous but I suppose it is the cumulative aspect that gets to you. I have been around the block office-wise in last few decades and have seen many of the examples given. Currently quite happy (5 years) - majority quiet and respectful. I ain't moving until they make me!

If it gets to you, it is merely evidence that you are still sane. The forceful confinement of humans in small areas on a long term basis is still only a few hundred years old. We are not adapted for such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

topper75 wrote: »
    The forceful confinement of humans in small areas on a long term basis is still only a few hundred years old. We are not adapted for such.

It really is an unnatural life. Chairs. Not able to go outside when the inspiration takes you, looking out at the sun, if one has windows at all, eyes straining from screens, and what is the point of so much of it. I would go stark raving mad in a month.
    Himself spent a brief year or so shackled in an office long ago. There was a waspy woman supervisor who, when office banter got in any way animated, would hiss ''Ciúnas!!'' and the room would fall silent. Ugh. What a horror trip. What a way for her to discharge her animus :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Zorya wrote: »
    way for her to discharge her animus :(

She did what! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I once worked with two women in an office who I had nothing in common with. They tolerated each other enough as they both loved to have tea breaks and waste time. They used to have arguments about the best type of mop to clean a floor with. They had zero interest in politics but yet complained about everything including their kids, partners etc. and never voted.

One of my first offices, our line manager used to nap at his desk in the open plan office. He would snore away. The lads used to phone his extension to wake him up. Senior management couldn't do anything about it as he was recovering from heart surgery, which we heard about anytime we asked him a question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

fryup wrote: »
    does anyone have the workplace bragger/know it all??

eg.....

Yep.
    Has an opinion about everything, is always right no matter what.
    Knows xyz in "name every big establishment in every town".

Always seems to know what the weather will be like in 4 weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I had one fella who used to disconnect my phone handset or take the mouse ball out of my mouse whenever I was gone - irritating to say the least.

Oh, and "what are you having for lunch?" - "A sandwich" - "Ohh, look at yer man with his sandwich!" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

devlinio wrote: »
    I presume you're in software?

I am to. In my previous company, my bosses dad was the "sales guy". Everyelse were developers & designers. He used to always complain that we were anti social because we were wearing earphone.

Now that I think of it, a colleague of mine was given a warning for not correcting an SSL certificate. He's a designer and didn't know how. He asked for help and was told to figure it out. There was a **** up on installation.

He was brought into a meeting and given a warning. In the meeting, he was told that they see him as a senior developer, and they expect better than this. The chap has 2 years experience and was on 24K a year. They also said he's not getting paid overtime anymore. So if projects take longer than expected, you have to stay behind for no more pay. He hasn't worked a second of overtime since, even if projects need to be finished.

Online marketing, actually. But marketing has become quite technical these days. I do a lot of content management, video/image editing, analytics, basic web dev stuff. Essentially, all tasks where you need to concentrate in peace and quite. Any issues can easily be solved with an email, Slack message or video call.

That being said, am going into Web dev because I like solving problems and creating things. But what's more infuriating is the amount of bigger companies that have no clue about distinctions between developers, designers, SEOs and content managers etc. They all think its one and the same. Arfh. And recruiters are the worst.

My current company isnt too bad. Generally quite sound people although they're an obsessed bunch of fitness bros and give each other pushup challenges... It's grand if you want to be healthy, but stop asking incessantly why I am not joining in! Prefer not to get gross and sweaty without being able to shower after. Or maybe that's their plan... Hmm.

Quite glad I'm only there once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭McGrath5

It's 9.20am on Tuesday morning, stop cackling away like a pack of hyena's pretending you are having "fun" in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

We've two ,

A vegan , lactose intolerant streak of ****e who's allergic to everything.

And born again Christian who uses biblical quotations in her emails .

Both are so consumed by their inane lives they haven't noticed each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Since the day this lad started in my job he has been leaving... regularly tells us about all the jobs he's applied for / college courses he's planning on doing to get out of our industry / how previous place was managed better and more profitable & our place is doomed etc. Its actually a drain to go on lunch with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

"Leaving early today?"

No, actually I'm leaving on time, I was at my desk at 7.30am not that you would have noticed as you got in around 9.30am.

I'm sure you can leave 30mins later than me and still feel like an office hero through.

Cock!

Stock answer....

"Sure I'd half a days work done while you were still looking at the back of your eyelids"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Just watching a show on farming. It looks so therapeutic. No work mates farting on you, sitting on your chair ‘keeping it warm’, openly sneezing on the floor. Maybe that’s my calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    the twat that comes over to my desk during lunch while I am eating my lunch asking me a work question. same culprit every time. you sir, can go f*ck yourself.

Nip this in the bud.

We had a foreman who without fail would land in at break time every day to discuss new drawing or changes.
    Eventually my mate just kept pointing at his cup of tea or his sandwich until he copped.
    Doesn't do it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

My desk is near the Marketing Manager. Dear God, they spout some ****e when on the phone to similar types

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭TheDavester

a guy in my office, never stops singing along with the radio, no matter what pops on, ed Sheeran, Beegees, Beyoncé, he sings loudly on with it...he has a nasally cultichy accent too which is migraine inducing and It bugs half the office as when he gets going the headphones go on....

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

mfceiling wrote: »
    Nip this in the bud.

We had a foreman who without fail would land in at break time every day to discuss new drawing or changes.
    Eventually my mate just kept pointing at his cup of tea or his sandwich until he copped.
    Doesn't do it any more.

I agree wholeheartedly. I had to do a similiar thing. I'd just keep chewing my food silently or point at my clock card. They get the point eventually 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

mfceiling wrote: »
    Stock answer....

"Sure I'd half a days work done while you were still looking at the back of your eyelids"

Or...I’d a days work done before you lifted yer head from the pillow

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Current place is grand. Last one had someone who would update me frequently on his home computer setup as if I gave a toss - particularly as I didn't really like him anyway for other reasons. And he had the worst coffee breath imaginable, so having him talk at you in person was not fun to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Mary.

She self-identifies as a “character” and considers herself “great craic”.

Mary, everyone thinks you’re annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I go on a lot of smoke breaks now just to get away for a few mins.
    It sounds like you were put in the department with the rest of the wasters to drive each other mad :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

"I'll revert to you."

Good God.....

I
    FOOKING
    HATE
    THIS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    "Let's schedule a meeting for this."

OK, so you want an hour long meeting but you could give me a simple Yes/No now?

This x 1000

Upper management(who don't even understand fully what goes on with the front line staff) who spend their day in meetings chatting ****e and not providing any productive output or coming up with changes (solutions) to problems that don't exist

So much of the meetings can be resolved by a simple email or phone call in a few minutes rather than an hour long meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Lad beside me at work is always on about his latest conquest. Like really graphic in his telling. Like we care if he sucked the balls of some lad he met outside spar after the club. Nothing against his lifestyle just don t need to hear all the ins and outs(pun intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

wally1990 wrote: »
    This x 1000

Upper management(who don't even understand fully what goes on with the front line staff) who spend their day in meetings chatting ****e and not providing any productive output or coming up with changes (solutions) to problems that don't exist

So much of the meetings can be resolved by a simple email or phone call in a few minutes rather than an hour long meeting.
    This does my head in. By the time I walk all the way up to the office for the meeting, discuss it and then walk all the way back down again, a huge amount of work has accumulated and I have to work overtime to make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

Am I the only one on boards who doesn't work in an office?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Grueller

Just watching a show on farming. It looks so therapeutic. No work mates farting on you, sitting on your chair ‘keeping it warm’, openly sneezing on the floor. Maybe that’s my calling.

Yup. I love it. But surviving on 4 hours sleep a night for a 6 week period every spring with your arm up a cows vagina with calving and looking at the arse end of a ewe lambing gets old too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Lad beside me at work is always on about his latest conquest. Like really graphic in his telling. Like we care if he sucked the balls of some lad he met outside spar after the club. Nothing against his lifestyle just don t need to hear all the ins and outs(pun intended)

working in the church has a few characters doesn't it :D;)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Co-workers making personal phonecalls within earshot of everybody else is a pet hate of mine,

i.e ringing up about an ESB Bill, or ringing spouse :D

A woman I work with did this one day. She called some service provider she was with, and very audibly in an open plan office, treated the person on the other end of the phone like absolute dirt. She was vicious. Everyone was looking over their cubicles/divider thing with raised eyebrows. I always thought she was nice but in a false way. Didn't have any time for her after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

IK09 wrote: »
    I just have to say it. You people are all soft. If you have a problem, end it. End of. Grow some stones.

how about the ladies they can't grow them :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 puimcin

The amount of weight loss related chat has me driven to despair. In an office full of women (And I'm one of them...) there's always at least one on a diarrhoea inducing 'protein shake' diet, one in Slimming World rattling off the sins of everything she eats and one who pretends to be ultra-healthy but has a drawer full of chocolate wrappers.

There's the fitness fanatic who comments on what everyone eats "just out of interest" because they're generally "curious" as to how one manages to eat a slice of white bread without feeling the need to self-flagellate for hours afterwards.

Inspects the bins for sweet / crisp wrappers as she passes, asking who ate what.

Loudly announces she's having an entire bowl of porridge as her "Friday morning treat" but that she'll be going for a 10k run at lunch to offset it.

The other girls feeling inferior & then slowly latching onto her disordered habits and treating her as a consultant on their meals and activities, only to complain they feel hungry all day long.

I've been subject to this for 2 years. We've all remained the same weight. Everybody- STFU and never mention how you were a size 6 in your 20s to me ever again.

Advertisement